Lottery and U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The lottery is the fairest way to go and it helps U2 attract more fans. Why continually have the same people in the same spots show after show, year after year? Some people have commitments and can't stand in line all day. Why not give the casual fan a chance to see U2 up, close and personal. Then, maybe they will become diehards like the rest of us. Personally, I gave up GA long ago. Too me it's needless agony. I just want to enjoy the music.

people that cant make the commitment should get seats

casual fans inside the ellipse kill the atmosphere in it

400 diehards inside the ellipse going crazy is how it should be

Chizip said:

[/QUOTE

I love your post number at 7777. I think I'll go buy me a lottery ticket!

bigwali said:
The lottery is the fairest way to go and it helps U2 attract more fans.

In your opinion, which should be stated.

Originally posted by bigwali Personally, I gave up GA long ago. Too me it's needless agony. I just want to enjoy the music.

Then you haven't experienced what is going on this tour. Many would argue it is bleeding the soul from a U2 show for those that purchased GA tickets without any information regarding a lottery until the day of the very first show.

Ive been hearing reports that the ellipse isnt even full on most nights and then they give out wristbands near the soundbooth?
If only 30-40 people are in the fan line why not let these people in the ellipse? I dont see the problem with that. The rest can have the lottery which to me, is the fairest way. Anyone agree?

Chizip said:

Chizip,

I have responded to some of your threads before and I generally like you, but this is the biggest load of bullshit I have ever heard. I am a huge fan, who would do anything within my power to be front and center for a show. However, I am a father of 3, and am the network manager for one of the country's largest cancer research facilities. Therefore, my time is a precious commodity. I had tickets to 5/14 philly. Philly is 5 hours from me. Because of my children and commitments to my family, I could not leave until the morning of the show. So, with your earlier comment, I should not have the oportunity to get up close and personal because I have a life that takes place outside of U2? That is the biggest load of crap I have ever heard. With that said, I was inside the heart in Pittsburgh durring the Elevation tour. There were 4 people there who had Propaganda's and were discussing several of the online message groups. So by definition they were die-hard fans right? They were the biggest group of bitches and assholes I have ever seen. They were pushing people around to get closer because as they said. "We are the true fans". To me they ruined the atmosphere. Not the casual fans who happened to get lucky and get into the show. I had a great conversation with someone who was oblivious to Propaganda, and to the online groups. But was one of the best people to be around and was truly excited about the show.

Ok, now I will step down from my soap box.

HJ

elevashn_hj said:

Chizip,

I have responded to some of your threads before and I generally like you, but this is the biggest load of bullshit I have ever heard. I am a huge fan, who would do anything within my power to be front and center for a show. However, I am a father of 3, and am the network manager for one of the country's largest cancer research facilities. Therefore, my time is a precious commodity. I had tickets to 5/14 philly. Philly is 5 hours from me. Because of my children and commitments to my family, I could not leave until the morning of the show. So, with your earlier comment, I should not have the oportunity to get up close and personal because I have a life that takes place outside of U2? That is the biggest load of crap I have ever heard. With that said, I was inside the heart in Pittsburgh durring the Elevation tour. There were 4 people there who had Propaganda's and were discussing several of the online message groups. So by definition they were die-hard fans right? They were the biggest group of bitches and assholes I have ever seen. They were pushing people around to get closer because as they said. "We are the true fans". To me they ruined the atmosphere. Not the casual fans who happened to get lucky and get into the show. I had a great conversation with someone who was oblivious to Propaganda, and to the online groups. But was one of the best people to be around and was truly excited about the show.

HJ

:up: right on, brotha!

Chizip said:

AMEN BROTHER!!!!! :yes: I am in full agreement here! 400 diehards inside the ellipse is DEFINITELY HOW IT SHOULD BE!!:wink:

ok...don't flame me folks for agreeing. I too have a family and job and do manage to take the time out for u2 shows not as many as I would like but more than I did last tour. Last count for me was 8 shows total for the tour.

Last edited:
bestfanfromnfld said:
Ive been hearing reports that the ellipse isnt even full on most nights and then they give out wristbands near the soundbooth?
If only 30-40 people are in the fan line why not let these people in the ellipse? I dont see the problem with that. The rest can have the lottery which to me, is the fairest way. Anyone agree?

actually I agree here. I think they should of set up so that the u2.com members get into the ellipse and the rest could be randomly pulled from the general sale line. But what they should of done was stick to the old formula of the first 400 in line get into the ellipse as was done last tour. But that's just me.--- an old timer..

elevashn_hj said:

Chizip,

HJ

Well what you are saying is fair enough. Your situation seems certainly pressing in terms of available time that you have to allot to a U2 concert, and I do not blame you in the least. However, there are those of us who are as busy, but who do in fact manage to get that one day off to attempt to get as close as they can. And sometimes, these are the people that are underappreciated with this system. While I am not suggesting that you personally could make the time available, I am suggesting there are some who would kill to be in the ellipse and are willing to sacrifice their day to make it happen.

The fact is, there is no entirely fair system. No system will ensure the 400 most-deserving fans get in. However, the first-come-first-serve basis has been used at the majority of concerts for years because it is generally the most fair. Because U2 cannot hand pick the 400 people in the ellipse, the first 400 to line up symbolizes for me a group of 400 who wanted to get in more so than a random group of 400.

It also seems logical to me that if the first-come-first-serve basis is being used, the majority of times the audience will be more enthusiastic, and respectful for their fellow fans who waited in line for the same amount of time as they did; whereas the lottery may have a larger number of 'casual' fans who wouldn't necessarily care about being in the ellipse.

Mike

mcranston said:

Well what you are saying is fair enough. Your situation seems certainly pressing in terms of available time that you have to allot to a U2 concert, and I do not blame you in the least. However, there are those of us who are as busy, but who do in fact manage to get that one day off to attempt to get as close as they can. And sometimes, these are the people that are underappreciated with this system. While I am not suggesting that you personally could make the time available, I am suggesting there are some who would kill to be in the ellipse and are willing to sacrifice their day to make it happen.

The fact is, there is no entirely fair system. No system will ensure the 400 most-deserving fans get in. However, the first-come-first-serve basis has been used at the majority of concerts for years because it is generally the most fair. Because U2 cannot hand pick the 400 people in the ellipse, the first 400 to line up symbolizes for me a group of 400 who wanted to get in more so than a random group of 400.

It also seems logical to me that if the first-come-first-serve basis is being used, the majority of times the audience will be more enthusiastic, and respectful for their fellow fans who waited in line for the same amount of time as they did; whereas the lottery may have a larger number of 'casual' fans who wouldn't necessarily care about being in the ellipse.

Mike

good point and well said Mike! :yes:

mcranston said:

Mike

Mike, you do make good points here. I personally would be in favor of a mix. U2.com members getting in first and lottery for all available spots afterwards. I know in Philly 1 it seemed that the U2.com line was very short while the other line was much longer.

Anyway, good luck in your endevors.

elevashn_hj said:

Chizip,

HJ

Everybody who takes the time to lineup in the GA line has made sacrifices to do so. I've already had to take 4 vacation days from work to be able wait in line to get the best spot. I don't have any kids so that does make it easier, but when I was in Chicago there was somebody in line, the night before, with a couple very young kids. She watched the kids, while in line, until the husband was able to come and pick them up for the rest of the night. So everybody has jobs, school, family that they need to be attending to, but they find a way to make it work. I just don't think it's fair for some people to make such sacrifices and be left out of the ellipse, while some casual fans, who might not even know all of the songs, stroll in at show time and get lucky and beep to get inside the ellipse.

If I knew there was absolutely no way I could make the sacrifice to wait in line all day to get a good spot, then I would try to get the best seats possible. If I couldnt make it until showtime, then I wouldn't feel like I should have the right to get closer to the band then people who had been camped out the night before.

I understand where you're coming from, and I feel for you, but I disagree with you.

That doesn't mean I don't like ya though :wink:

Last edited:
Making a pro-ellipse lottery post probably isn’t a good idea for someone like me that is new to this forum, but it seems to me like some people don't seem to be seeing what I think the band is trying to achieve with the ellipse lottery (and my apologies in advance if this post offends anyone b/c that is not my intent!)

I think that anyone who has read interviews with the band recently will agree that it seems to be really important to them to expose their music to as many people as possible and to get new fans into their music. To me it seems like the ellipse policy does just that because it gives some non- diehard fans the chance to experience the music and the show from the ellipse and broaden the band's fan-base. Expanding the band's fan-base is totally a legitimate and important goal so that the band we all love so much continues to be interested in making new music and touring. A lot of the diehard fans here sound like they think the purpose of the ellipse should be to reward them (the diehard fan who is willing to make the most sacrifices for U2 and that meets some sort of definition of what is the best way to be a U2 fan). But its U2's show and if its important to them to expose more people to their music and they think that the ellipse policy contributes to meeting this goal, I say keep it up.

And on a related topic, I definitely love to dance and sing along with the songs at a show, but just because someone else isn't doing the same thing, I don't assume that they aren't a fan, or are less deserving of being able to see the band up close, or that the show is not as good just because there are some people like that around me. People appreciate music in different ways and that person could be as big a fan as I am and just happens to appreciate the music in a different way than I do. Or alternatively, even if they are a new fan and don't know all of the words to every song, after experiencing U2 from inside the ellipse, I bet many of them will become huge U2 fans. Isn't that what U2 is trying to do with their music and with the ellipse policy? Or is it more important that the diehard fans get into the ellipse? Personally, I am all for what keeps U2 happy and motivated to keep making great music, even if that means I have to watch the show from outside of the ellipse. It's not like watching them from outside the ellipse is really all that bad anyway. :)

Ok there may be about 100 "casual" fans that get into the ellipse each night. Do you really think U2 think its worth alienating their diehard fan base so they can expose their music closer to these 100 "non diehards" inside the ellipse each night? And would being inside the ellipse, compared to being outside, really make that much of a difference into converting a casual fan into a diehard?

If U2 said the lottery was a way for their big fans who have no possible way to lineup to still have a shot to get close, such as my friend elevashn, then yes I could understand that.

If they use it as a tool to recruit new fans, then that is just silly.

welcome to the board :wave:

Last edited:
Cath said:
Making a pro-ellipse lottery post probably isn’t a good idea for someone like me that is new to this forum, but it seems to me like some people don't seem to be seeing what I think the band is trying to achieve with the ellipse lottery (and my apologies in advance if this post offends anyone b/c that is not my intent!)

I think that anyone who has read interviews with the band recently will agree that it seems to be really important to them to expose their music to as many people as possible and to get new fans into their music. To me it seems like the ellipse policy does just that because it gives some non- diehard fans the chance to experience the music and the show from the ellipse and broaden the band's fan-base. Expanding the band's fan-base is totally a legitimate and important goal so that the band we all love so much continues to be interested in making new music and touring. A lot of the diehard fans here sound like they think the purpose of the ellipse should be to reward them (the diehard fan who is willing to make the most sacrifices for U2 and that meets some sort of definition of what is the best way to be a U2 fan). But its U2's show and if its important to them to expose more people to their music and they think that the ellipse policy contributes to meeting this goal, I say keep it up.

And on a related topic, I definitely love to dance and sing along with the songs at a show, but just because someone else isn't doing the same thing, I don't assume that they aren't a fan, or are less deserving of being able to see the band up close, or that the show is not as good just because there are some people like that around me. People appreciate music in different ways and that person could be as big a fan as I am and just happens to appreciate the music in a different way than I do. Or alternatively, even if they are a new fan and don't know all of the words to every song, after experiencing U2 from inside the ellipse, I bet many of them will become huge U2 fans. Isn't that what U2 is trying to do with their music and with the ellipse policy? Or is it more important that the diehard fans get into the ellipse? Personally, I am all for what keeps U2 happy and motivated to keep making great music, even if that means I have to watch the show from outside of the ellipse. It's not like watching them from outside the ellipse is really all that bad anyway. :)

Well thought out and spoken, welcome aboard.

However...my contention is regarding the fact that this policy was not announced until 10 hours before the doors opened for the first show in San Diego. I had purchased 14 GA tickets (7 shows x 2 tickets) prior to seeing the tour begin. We had no reason to think that this tour would have any different policy than last tour (which, from a fan perspective worked wonderfully and, from my perspective, was the heart and soul of the Elevation tour and made it great) and purchased our tickets accordingly.

I feel U2 delayed the announcement knowing full well that this would reflect poorly on them after already alienating their most die-hard long term most financially giving fans with the pre-sale (which they all admit was their fault) and additionally would affect the demand for these tickets.

I would have made different purchasing decisions. I have been lucky to be in the ellipse 3 times in the 5 shows I have so far seen this tour. I will not, however, be in there again (even if I am beeped in) as the show is plainly not as enjoyable. I will not get into the logistics of it all (I think most of you can guess or know my feelings) but it isn't as fun as outside. The tradeoff of space and being close to the band isn't worth the loss of energy and rock show comraderie that is formed among long time, knowledgeable, and incredibly excited fans.

My suggestion has always been that they do a true lottery in the vain of a Ticketmaster onsale. Everyone lines up, and a couple of hours before the show they randomly pick a number...and that person is now number one. Not perfect, but better. This lottery is clunky in that it regularly seperates parties (happened to me three times!), the die-hards are getting around it anyway and still getting into the ellipse every night and it brings out the worst in people attitude wise on both sides of the catwalk.

Yes the freedom of not waiting is great, but I will just not wait and enjoy the show from the back. 1000% better than in the ellipse in my opinion unless you are on the front rail or close. Near the back, its a buzzkill.

Thanks for reading.

Chizip said:
Ok there may be about 100 "casual" fans that get into the ellipse each night. Do you really think U2 think its worth alienating their diehard fan base so they can expose their music closer to these 100 "non diehards" inside the ellipse each night? And would being inside the ellipse, compared to being outside, really make that much of a difference into converting a casual fan into a diehard?

If U2 said the lottery was a way for their big fans who have no possible way to lineup to still have a shot to get close, such as my friend elevashn, then yes I could understand that.

If they use it as a tool to recruit new fans, then that is just silly.

welcome to the board :wave:

Well a U2 show will most likely recruit any casual fan to a die-hard fan. Since I was not able to get into the ellipse, my wife and I stood in front of the sound board as we had room to move and dance. Anyway, since the show I have awakened every morning to her watching one of the 4 DVD Vertigo Boots that I have, and she is totally rocking out. Anyway, I too disagree with you, but likewise, that doesn't mean that I dont like ya! :wink:

no i agree a U2 show will turn causal fans into diehards. thats what happened to me. i just dont think the lottery system will convert any more fans then a non lottery system would. a casual fan will be just as impressed no matter where they are in the arena.

elevashn_hj said:

Mike, you do make good points here. I personally would be in favor of a mix. U2.com members getting in first and lottery for all available spots afterwards. I know in Philly 1 it seemed that the U2.com line was very short while the other line was much longer.

Anyway, good luck in your endevors.

It's about as fair as it could be on this tour. Remember even the most die-hard fans today were newbs at some point.

I am so sick of this topic, but I have to say that I am just as "impressed" no matter where I am in the arena-and I've been a U2 fan probably a heck of a lot longer than many people here. Maybe because of that I deserve special treatment, but I don't think so. I don't need to see up Bono's nostrils to enjoy the music. It seems like SOME people do, that's all I'm saying. Honestly some people get scary about it.

U2 designed this policy because they got sick to death of certain fans on the last tour who felt entitled to everything and more "deserving" than other fans. Bono pretty much said so himself, allegedly. So take it up w/ U2 :shrug: Yes certain fans "ruined" it for others, but that's the way life goes sometimes.

I really dislike it when fans attempt to define and determine the level of fandom of others, how they should jump up and down, whatever. I think it's sort of silly and petty.

i just think anyone, either "diehard" or "casual" fan, who waits all day to be first in the door deserves to be closer than the fan that shows up at showtime

and thats all ive really meant to say

Last edited:
ps - the lottery really hasnt stopped the same fans from getting the best spots from doing it again on this tour

this time if they dont get inside they all line up along the rail outside the ellipse rather than the front rail inside it, and in my opinion along the rail on the outside is better than the very front

Lottery seems like the most fair way...I work all day and can't wait in line -- spent too much work time on line getting tickets.

With that said, I'm curious how it works. I have GA tickets for an upcoming show. I purchased 2, but purchased them from a reputable broker. Is it possible that I could get into the ellipse and my friend attending with me could not?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom