Looking back... Was Milan the right choice for the DVD?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2Man said:

My guess is, they will place it on the long side under that roof there....:wink:

That's what I'm hoping!

Imagine looking over that crowd going nuts to Streets from the perspective of the stage! :shocked: :drool: :rockon:

Axver said:

That's what I'm hoping!

Imagine looking over that crowd going nuts to Streets from the perspective of the stage! :shocked: :drool: :rockon:

Yep, that's why we need to force U2 to record it :wink:

Holy cow batman
BatMan.gif
- that stadium is massive! I think for all involved, it would be best and very cool to set the stage up under that roof like U2man said (I didn't read the first 15 pages of this thread, I'm too tired :yawn: )

Based on the way the tickets were sold the stage is at the end.

I'm counting the hours.....This time next week I'll be there.

Neilz said:

I had the feeling that this was your true reason for defending Milan... That's the difference between you and me maybe;

Neilz, weren't you the one who told me 'read and then answer'?? :eyebrow: :wink:
that sentence was my answer to JulioArca, you just cut it out and therefore distorted its meaning... I just told him I liked the 20th better than the 21st, I wasn't talking about Milan being better than Amsterdam or anithing... I really do think Milan is the right choice, 20th 0r 21st... I don't really care :wink:

see Neilz, I can easily admit I would have liked the DVD to be shot in Nou Camp, too (although I still approve Milan 'cos I was there - can you blame me??? :madspit: :wink:). but I'd love a Nou Camp DVD anyway, considering the crowd+venue+vertigo trinity :D
I'm sure Nou Camp will look very impressive with 90.000 people screaming and singing along... :drool: I can't wait to see some picture from Barcelona... :drool:

so, yeah, maybe Milan wasn't the right choice... but what do you mean by 'choice'? we don't know what U2 were looking for by shooting a DVD in Milan - my guess is, as I said before, they wanted to do something a bit more intimate, but still retain the feeling of the outdoor show- and I can't think of any other place better than SanSiro to fit that role. Milan is perfect in that sense - you'd have to agree with me on that one :wink:

so, to answer your question:
1) YES, Milan was the right choice for the DVD, IF they were trying to get that sort of intimacy on screen. otherwise...
2) NO! there are better choices (Barcelona, Paris, Amsterdam, Rome) :wink:

I hope I explained myself better, this time (sorry for my English :D)

ramblin rose said:
Based on the way the tickets were sold the stage is at the end.

I'm counting the hours.....This time next week I'll be there.

You're a lucky lucky girl. Guess you won't be texting me this time :lmao:

Have a great time!!! :dance:

of course I meant I am the one on the left..

sorry, dunno what I'm thinking about today!
Maybe it's just because it is too hot here!

it's actually my fav at the moment -- I've also a beige one!
They are done by a company of fair trade, that also does t-shirts both for men & women.

What I've seen from Lissabon... The stage looks much bigger in that stadium... A real intimate setting (like Amsterdam)... Looks really good :

2005%20-%20Vertigo%20Tour%2F2005-08-14%20-%20Lisbon%2F14082005.jpg

2005%20-%20Vertigo%20Tour%2F2005-08-14%20-%20Lisbon%2F14082005%28007%29.jpg

2005%20-%20Vertigo%20Tour%2F2005-08-14%20-%20Lisbon%2FU2%20vertigo%20040.jpg

2005%20-%20Vertigo%20Tour%2F2005-08-14%20-%20Lisbon%2FU2%20vertigo%20051.jpg

the dvd was shot in Milan.
it was not shot in Amsterdam.
Whatever their reasons, it's history now.
Deal with it!

the milan show was amazing. i can use are adjectives, but i just go with amazing otherwise i would write the longest post ever.
the show was something that i never ever seen in my whole life...............................everything will be clear when it's out. actually the stadium looks very beautiful, it's such a dream staying there.........................it wasn't a bad choice, it was the right choice................it's also known that there's a particular feeling between the guys and us italian fans..................140 000 for 2 nights

I can't believe this topic is still on and going :wink:
anyway, yesterday I talked with some friends of mine who went to see U2 in Dublin, Zurich, Vienna, Milan, Rome, Munich, Nice, Barcelona, San Sebastian, Madrid and Lisbona :D
ok, so they are Italian (who else would be that mad? :wink:) but they all agreed Milan has been the right choice for the DVD... great stadium, great performance (Bono in Miss Sarajevo :drool:) and great audience :sexywink:
Barcelona looked very impressive, too :ohmy: a really great show, and one of the GREATEST audiences, in their opinion :yes:

Don't get too excited about what Bono says about crowds during a show. He
basically tells every crowd that they are
the greatest-loudest- etc. They live in the greatest city etc. He's a showman.

Actually there seems to be a connection
between crowd response and how often that city gets big concerts. Sounds like Poland really rocked, because it was a big deal to them. Same with Mexico, South America etc. If you want to see a
rabid crowd, chect out Rush live in Rio.

Americans are the most spoiled because
we get so many damn concerts. I wonder how many u2 shows Chicago has had over the years. If concerts weren't so damn expensive I could see a concert practically every week.

My guess would be that crowds in Milan and Amsterdam aren't all that different. So why did they choose Milan? I'd be willing to bet it wasn't because as someone said they owe the Italians. Probably because it happened to be on a date where they could coordinate all the technical people they needed.

Haven't you noticed that almost everyone here:

Has seen the best show of the tour.

Lives in U2's favorite city.

etc.

Last edited:
I'm not getting excited about anything... as someone in this forum said, :bono: = :blahblah:
:wink:
IMHO, U2 really wanted to shot the dvd in SanSiro. they've been trying to get that venue for 15 years now... maybe they just decided to celebrate the event by making a dvd out of it :)

DanB said:
Don't get too excited about what Bono says about crowds during a show. He
basically tells every crowd that they are
the greatest-loudest- etc. They live in the greatest city etc. He's a showman.

Actually there seems to be a connection
between crowd response and how often that city gets big concerts. Sounds like Poland really rocked, because it was a big deal to them. Same with Mexico, South America etc. If you want to see a
rabid crowd, chect out Rush live in Rio.

Americans are the most spoiled because
we get so many damn concerts. I wonder how many u2 shows Chicago has had over the years. If concerts weren't so damn expensive I could see a concert practically every week.

My guess would be that crowds in Milan and Amsterdam aren't all that different. So why did they choose Milan? I'd be willing to bet it wasn't because as someone said they owe the Italians. Probably because it happened to be on a date where they could coordinate all the technical people they needed.

Haven't you noticed that almost everyone here:

Has seen the best show of the tour.

Lives in U2's favorite city.

etc.
I agree with you that everyone claims to have withnessed U2's best-ever concert and that Bono loves their own city they've played... I also agree with you that Bono's reaction depends a lot of how he (and the band) feels that night and the reaction of the crowd and not so much the city they are playing in...

You must admit though that U2 has special connections with several places around the world... It's no secret that they love Dublin, Boston and Holland though... Every gig they play in these city's/country's end up in the list of best-gig's of the tour... And sure I can explain to you why U2 likes Holland, but than you would reply with something like "See! I told you, everyone claims that!"...

Furthermore; I would love to compare how many shows Chicago has got and Holland has got over the years; and even more interesting; how many people have come to these shows! The amount of shows a city/country gets is not leading... How many people attend the shows is! It's all a mather of money really! I can go to big stadium/arena shows weekly in Holland too you know! Not to mention the great club gigs in the world famous Paradiso and Milkyway...

sraphim said:
IMHO, U2 really wanted to shot the dvd in SanSiro. they've been trying to get that venue for 15 years now... maybe they just decided to celebrate the event by making a dvd out of it :)
Oh please! What is your source that U2 has been trying to play San Siro for 15 years? Their favorite venue in Holland is the Feyenoord stadium, but still they played the Amsterdam Arena this tour! Why? Cause the Dutch promotor has put them in the Amsterdam Arena, just like the Italian promotor has put them in San Siro... It's not like Bono sits down with McGuinness discussing all the venue's their playing each tour :huh:

They only decided to film a European show halfway though the second leg; so don't come up with something like "they wanted San Siro for the DVD"...

Last edited:

Furthermore; I would love to compare how many shows Chicago has got and Holland has got over the years; and even more interesting; how many people have come to these shows![/B]

I'm not trying to say that Chicago has better, or more or less fans. My point is that because u2 plays in arenas and not stadiums in the US, fans get a lot more shows. It wouldn't be too hard to be a chicago fan and see more than ten or twelve shows on the last couple tours.
Crowds in eastern europe, south america, maybe australia, etc are going to be a lot more frenzied when they get a show. If crowd reaction is a major concern in footage, I think these would be the places to go.

DanB said:
I'm not trying to say that Chicago has better, or more or less fans. My point is that because u2 plays in arenas and not stadiums in the US, fans get a lot more shows. It wouldn't be too hard to be a chicago fan and see more than ten or twelve shows on the last couple tours. Crowds in eastern europe, south america, maybe australia, etc are going to be a lot more frenzied when they get a show. If crowd reaction is a major concern in footage, I think these would be the places to go.
Hmmm don't agree with you on that... The crowds reaction in these parts of the world (specially South America) has nothing to do with the excitement of a band like U2 visiting their country/city for the first time in years... They are that way by nature I think... And I think this, because for the Dutch it was real easy to visit well over 20 U2 shows within a 100 mile range over the last couple of years, but still the crowds reaction is really big! I really was amazed on the amound of noise the Amsterdam crowds made this tour.... The Asian's for example are know to be very calm, even if U2 comes over there for the first time in 12 years!

Neilz said:

Hmmm don't agree with you on that... The crowds reaction in these parts of the world (specially South America) has nothing to do with the excitement of a band like U2 visiting their country/city for the first time in years... They are that way by nature I think... And I think this, because for the Dutch it was real easy to visit well over 20 U2 shows within a 100 mile range over the last couple of years, but still the crowds reaction is really big! I really was amazed on the amound of noise the Amsterdam crowds made this tour.... The Asian's for example are know to be very calm, even if U2 comes over there for the first time in 12 years!

Well I've seen them in US and England, and you can't help but notice the crowds are getting pretty old. Not that
many teens or even college age kids in
the crowds. You just don't get the crowd noise you used to get. Which
to me is no big deal, I'm not making a lot of noise either, but I'm enjoying the show as much as anyone.

DanB said:
Well I've seen them in US and England, and you can't help but notice the crowds are getting pretty old. Not that
many teens or even college age kids in the crowds. You just don't get the crowd noise you used to get. Which to me is no big deal, I'm not making a lot of noise either, but I'm enjoying the show as much as anyone.
Personally I've not seen this.. Infact, I know these 3 Amsterdam gigs drew a lot of young fans! This was the first time in over 10 years I felt nervous in cue for U2 tickets wether I got up to late in the morning! A lot of youngsters in line :wink:

DanB said:

many teens or even college age kids in
the crowds. You just don't get the crowd noise you used to get. Which
to me is no big deal, I'm not making a lot of noise either, but I'm enjoying the show as much as anyone.
dont know how you seen that, the manchester concert was full of 18+ year olds, every picture i have seen, the crowd seem pretty young?

Neilz said:

Oh please! What is your source that U2 has been trying to play San Siro for 15 years?

first of all, calm down please... :eyebrow: I don't appreciate your hostile behavior, at all.
U2 have been trying to get SanSiro since 1993, that's not a secret. they even said so... :eyebrow:
deal with it.

It's no secret that they love Dublin, Boston and Holland though

I guess Italy should make it into that list. we were the only ones (besides Ireland) to get an outdoor show in 2001... but OBVIOUSLY you don't want Italy into the list. they just shot a dvd here... but nevermind! Italy sucks, U2 went to Holland first, Dutch fans are best blah blah blah stop me if I'm getting too emotional.

They only decided to film a European show halfway though the second leg; so don't come up with something like "they wanted San Siro for the DVD"...

1) now it's my turn to ask you "what's your source"?? you're in their heads? :eyebrow:
2) what the hell is wrong with you?? do you know how to read?!?!?! IMHO = IN MY HUMBLE OPINION.
I have ABSOLUTELY nothing against Holland, nothing at all.
but I have a very strong feeling that you DO have something agaist Italy, so I won't bother to argue with you again, unless you learn how to carrie on a conversation. you just tend to impose your ideas, and that's something I can't stand.

You can’t win unless you learn how to lose.

bye-

Erika

Last edited:
wow this thread is getting hostile again...:huh: .

Well I think I agree with danb though. People have a overly romantic idea of how they decide where the dvd should be shot (if it only meant the be the most important place to them, probably all dvds would be shot in Ireland..). It probabaly has to do with the dates of the shows ,technicians, possibility to rehears (like in amsterdam) and maybe even the cost of filming (i heard that the amsterdam arena would cost an extra 100.000$ extra if they would have filmed there...dont know if its true of course).

But to only think your country is the place for them is like thinking bono sings the song especially for you (like some people in here probably do :wink: right plebans?). I mean i have personally hear him say at the amsterdam show that amsterdam was the second homecoming for them but if im not mistaking he also says that on some other boots in other countries. I just think they do appreciate all fans also if yore from a country they dont even play at (couldnt you be a hardcore fan ...and live in iceland for example). Im sure Barcelona was great , im sure Milan was great and (cause ive been there) i KNOW amsterdam was great.

At least we can all see how great milan was, im very looking forward to the dvd....Now could we all get along again (especially the italy vs holland thing) :hug:

Oh and the comment about only older people attending u2 shows: I went to the concerts at 13 hours before the show started to be in front. I was there with appr. the first 300 people but there were not older people. I was actually surprised by that. I think the average age was about 20-30 (or is that old nowadyays :wink: )

sraphim said:
I guess Italy should make it into that list. we were the only ones (besides Ireland) to get an outdoor show in 2001...

One small correction here. The Dutch concerts were also considered outdoor concert. U2 played 3 concerts in a (small) soccer stadium. Granted, the roof was closed, but IMO, stadiums are outdoor concerts.

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom