Looking back... Was Milan the right choice for the DVD?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well then... piacere!! I'm from Italy too :wink:
eh I've been trying to download that file for the past few hours but my connection's just toooo slow at the moment... oh well... I'll do it tomorrow (wireless connection at daddy's :up: )
so, were you in SanSiro? 20/21 or both? I was there, first row in front of the B-stage on the right side (Adam's :D)

ps: I feel stupid. couldn't we just talk in Italian?? :shrug:

Last edited:
I'm only posting here to say "Nice photo"...
18072005_115108.jpg

:cool:

Popmartijn said:

That picture is taken from exactly where I stood!
I have a picture that looks freaking identical!
Cool.

Now, on Milan:

The crowd owned man. I was there on the 21st. It was crazy. I mean, they were better than the Dublin crowd, which I wouldn't have thought. It was absolutely amazing.

After With Or Without You they just kept singing. Overall, it's the best concert I've seen.
And 25 freaking songs. I mean, I was unhappy with the dress rehearsals 21, but I never thought they'd surpass 23, and certainly not at any concert I'd be attending. My only hope is they don't cut in the set like they did on the Elevation DVDs.

It rocked.

After With Or Without You they just kept singing

and what about
all I want is... YOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
that seemed to go on forever... :love:

sraphim said:

and what about
that seemed to go on forever... :love:

They began singing it too early I remember, the first chorus had barely ended :D

sraphim said:

alright I'm OFFICIALLY SICK of that line! I've read it about THOUSAND of times before, and now my question is... what the hell have we got to do with that?? :sad:
that was their decision... doesn't mean they didn't have fans in Italy back then... quite the opposite actually! :D
you cannot consider Dutch people more loyal, or more deserving, just because of that... I'd expect better of you, really.... :wink:

I agree. I also often wonder how many of those loyal Dutch fans were already visiting them in the early eighties. It seems like the Paradiso could hold 50.000 people if I have to believe everyone who claims to have been there from the beginning. :wink:

sraphim said:
well then... piacere!! I'm from Italy too :wink: ]

I'm from Imola :wave:
so, were you in SanSiro? 20/21 or both? I was there, first row in front of the B-stage on the right side (Adam's :D)

ps: I feel stupid. couldn't we just talk in Italian?? :shrug:

I was in San Siro 20/07 2nd row in front of the b-stage (The edge's) andd Rome lateral grandstand 23/07 (very very very lateral since I succedeed in calling Dallas Schoo e Joe the bearded Mixaman and they were so nice to pose for two pictures only for me :love: !!! and Ash's Tim Wheeler too!

Soulrock2 said:
I agree. I also often wonder how many of those loyal Dutch fans were already visiting them in the early eighties. It seems like the Paradiso could hold 50.000 people if I have to believe everyone who claims to have been there from the beginning. :wink:
I don't know who brought Italy vs. Holland in to this, because that was not my point at all!

And your comment about 50.000 people fitting in the Paradiso isn't really fair is it! The thing that the Dutch are proud? of is that they opened up the gates for U2 to take Europe... Holland (with Belgium next) was the first country to see U2 outside the UK... And no, I wasn't at the Paradiso in these days, but yes I know someone who was there and actually got me into U2 (I've been going since the Joshua Tree)

So please stop the whoo Italy, booo Holland stuff (or other way around)...

The thing is that I like the left (Amsterdam) picture better than the right (Milan)... And sure the last picture from Milan that was posted looked cool too, but that was because of the extra lighting for the DVD... Not fair to compare this pic imo...

18072005_121218.jpg
ss1.jpg

18072005_121147.jpg
ss2.jpg

Last edited:
I wasn't booing anyone, just pointed that out... IMHO, that line didn't make sense at all. :eyebrow:

but hey, you're Dutch so it seems fair to me that you feel like Amsterdam was better... I'm like that, too :up: so no problem
you've got Amsterdam3, we've got the dvd... I think we're even. I can't understand the big deal... maybe you shouldn't have started this thread to begin with :reject: but what's done is done now.
just stop this non-sense about Amsterdam being better, you will always have someone (me in this case :wink:) telling you "I think Milan was better instead". what's the point of starting a thread like this one, I wonder? neither of us saw both concerts, how could we compare? ...BY PICTURES?? :confused:
c'mon... I KNOW you're smarter than that :wink:

@cybercyd (sorry non-Italian people... just a few lines, I promise)
io sono di Bordighera!! il 20 ero in prima fila davanti al palchetto Adam, il 21 seconda fila Edge, e il 23 in Curva Nord (una fortuna visti i casini che poi sono successi...) la prossima tappa è Nizza, che possiamo considerare una quarta data italiana considerando il numero spropositato di Italiani che ci andranno... :D

Last edited:
sraphim said:
@cybercyd (sorry non-Italian people... just a few lines, I promise)
io sono di Bordighera!! il 20 ero in prima fila davanti al palchetto Adam, il 21 seconda fila Edge, e il 23 in Curva Nord (una fortuna visti i casini che poi sono successi...) la prossima tappa è Nizza, che possiamo considerare una quarta data italiana considerando il numero spropositato di Italiani che ci andranno... :D [/B]

cavoli, Nizza, secondo te si trovano ancora dei biglietti??? Tu sei a Bordighera... ...è coime se facessero una data a casa tua :drool:

dimmi qualcosa se da quelle parti ci sono biglietti di prato!

cybersyd said:
In fact not fair to compare these picture... ...Milan pictures were taken before the sun went down about 60 min before the gig...
Than who posted these pictures to give us a view of the crowd? I guess these shows can't be compared at all? Still.. IMO; Amsterdam looked perfect for a DVD, even though no special arrangements has been made to do so...

Last edited:
I don't like how small the Milan GA area is.

The Amsterdam photos are more impressive because the GA area is a lot longer, and looks like a lot more people.

But it doesn't really matter too much either way.

@Neilz: YOU are obviously the one who cannot stop this argument about Amsterdam vs Milan. Good for you that you like the Amsterdam pcitures better. Obviously U2 favoured Milan, and I'm glad they did.

So the answer to your question: YES.

P.S. I'm Dutch and I'm sick and tired about hearing how loud and loyal the Dutch crowd is. Just look at the drop in numbers between Zooropa and Popmart. Numbers don't lie. U2 had a hard time to sell out Feyenoord Stadium twice in 1997. You could easily get tix on the day of the show in 1997. U2 played in front of 150.000 in Italy and also another gig in Rome I believe. So maybe it's time to realize the Dutch crowd is not THAT loyal.

U2mixer said:
I'm only posting here to say "Nice photo"...
18072005_115108.jpg

:cool:

Imagine this crowd lit up for Streets, everybody jumping up and down going crazy. It would look much better than the Milan GA setup.

Last edited:
I just posted the pictures because you didn't have any, you said so!!! I dind't mean to COMPARE anything!!!!! :huh:

the GA is smaller, yeah, but that's because the stage was bigger.

@cybercyd
si, è come se facessero una data a casa mia, abito a 30min da Nizza :D
guarda, io so di mooooolta gente che viene a Nizza senza biglietto sperando di trovarlo sul posto... se non hai nulla da fare, puoi anche provarci... può darsi che riesci a trovare ancora qualcosa ad un prezzo decente :shrug: :wink:

Dusty Bottoms said:
I don't like how small the Milan GA area is.

The Amsterdam photos are more impressive because the GA area is a lot longer, and looks like a lot more people.

But it doesn't really matter too much either way.

Yes it does!! because with the stage built along the long side of the field the people (included those on the grandstand :p: ) were a lot nearer to the band than usual.:drool:

And please have a look to the footballfans-like choreography during Sometimes (see link above in the thread). Maybe not so incredible as much as the polish flag in Cracow but beautiful as well.:drool:

cybersyd said:

Yes it does!! because with the stage built along the long side of the field the people (included those on the grandstand :p: ) were a lot nearer to the band than usual.:drool:

Haha, well I agree that it is a better setup for actually attending the concert, because people are closer. But the other setup does look a bit more impressive for a DVD. Either way though, it's not a huge deal.

Soulrock2 said:
U2 had a hard time to sell out Feyenoord Stadium twice in 1997. You could easily get tix on the day of the show in 1997.

REALLY?!?!?!?! ...I didn't know about that.... :huh:
Reggio Emilia was the show they played in front of a crowd of 150.000 people (PopMart tour). :up:

Last edited:
sraphim said:
just stop this non-sense about Amsterdam being better, you will always have someone (me in this case :wink:) telling you "I think Milan was better instead". what's the point of starting a thread like this one, I wonder? neither of us saw both concerts, how could we compare? ...BY PICTURES?? :confused:
c'mon... I KNOW you're smarter than that :wink:
Is it that hard to understand? I'm not promoting Amsterdam here you know! If I had the feeling that Croke was perfect for the DVD, then this topic would have been Croke vs. Milan... I don't know where you got the feeling that I'm being patriotic, cause that is not my intention at all!

Fact is that from what I've seen, the combination venue+crowd+vertigo looks better in the Amsterdam situation IMO... It has nothing to do with me being Dutch! I'm man enough to admit that Milan worked better if I had that feeling you know! But I don't, I think Vertigo Amsterdam looked the best of the whole European tour so far.. And that's NOT because I'm Dutch!

Soulrock2 said:
@Neilz: YOU are obviously the one who cannot stop this argument about Amsterdam vs Milan. Good for you that you like the Amsterdam pcitures better. Obviously U2 favoured Milan, and I'm glad they did.

So the answer to your question: YES.

P.S. I'm Dutch and I'm sick and tired about hearing how loud and loyal the Dutch crowd is. Just look at the drop in numbers between Zooropa and Popmart. Numbers don't lie. U2 had a hard time to sell out Feyenoord Stadium twice in 1997. You could easily get tix on the day of the show in 1997. U2 played in front of 150.000 in Italy and also another gig in Rome I believe. So maybe it's time to realize the Dutch crowd is not THAT loyal.
About your first comment... You're right about that... U2 favoured Milan, and I'm glad for the Italian's they did... I really am! But I'm curious how they feel about it now though... But I've had enough of this discussion too by now... A lot of people seem to misread me and don't understand my intentions.. So...

About your second part... I hate it too when people bring up how loud and loyal the Dutch crowds are... Elevation sucked (from what I've heard, I went to Cologne) and Popmart sold out, but at the gates... But you're forgetting that Holland is the smallest country that U2 tours... So 2+ shows at every gig sold out isn't nothing... I do agree though that it's lame to keep bringing up U2 connection with Holland... But the same goes for the Italians of course...

Neilz said:

Is it that hard to understand? I'm not promoting Amsterdam here you know! If I had the feeling that Croke was perfect for the DVD, then this topic would have been Croke vs. Milan... I don't know where you got the feeling that I'm being patriotic, cause that is not my intention at all!

Fact is that from what I've seen, the combination venue+crowd+vertigo looks better in the Amsterdam situation IMO... It has nothing to do with me being Dutch! I'm man enough to admit that Milan worked better if I had that feeling you know! But I don't, I think Vertigo Amsterdam looked the best of the whole European tour so far.. And that's NOT because I'm Dutch!

About your first comment... You're right about that... U2 favoured Milan, and I'm glad for the Italian's they did... I really am! But I'm curious how they feel about it now though... But I've had enough of this discussion too by now... A lot of people seem to misread me and don't understand my intentions.. So...

About your second part... I hate it too when people bring up how loud and loyal the Dutch crowds are... Elevation sucked (from what I've heard, I went to Cologne) and Popmart sold out, but at the gates... But you're forgetting that Holland is the smallest country that U2 tours... So 2+ shows at every gig sold out isn't nothing... I do agree though that it's lame to keep bringing up U2 connection with Holland... But the same goes for the Italians of course...
right neil simple way of ending this, did you go to milan?

Neilz said:

But I'm curious how they feel about it now though...

:larry: "go Sam, take the movie camera out of the U2placers!!!!"
:adam: "oh, in Milan there are the most beautiful supermodels!!!"
:edge: "omG!!!! And I thought to have seen it all with Turin"
:bono: "why did we wait so long for playing and shooting DVD here??? P.S. did I spit too much???"

Neilz said:

And why does that matter?
because your basing your opinion that the DVD should have been shot in amsterdam, because a)it looked better in the pictures and b) the crowd,

now if you werent at milan how would you know what the show was even like? all we have seen is a few pictures

KUEFC09U2 said:
because your basing your opinion that the DVD should have been shot in amsterdam, because a)it looked better in the pictures and b) the crowd,

now if you werent at milan how would you know what the show was even like? all we have seen is a few pictures
I don't care what the show was like (this too I've said before!)... I'm not talkting about setlitsts or the form of the band... I'm talking about visuals... So a) yes, I'm judging by pictures which show looked better... that's the beautiful thing about pictures :wink: and b) I'm basing by opinion about how the crowd looked, not about which crowd is better...

sraphim said:
ok, just stick to your idea then. you'll change your mind when the dvd's out :D
No really... Easy way to end this! Why does it matter if I've been to the Milan shows... Have you been to the Amsterdam shows?

For the 5th time... Even if I haven't been to either Amsterdam or Milan... This wouldn't stand in the way for me having this opinion!

Why can't I judge/decide my personal opinion wether Brussels or Rome looked better by looking at hundreds of pictures?

Last edited:
what I don't understand is.... why the hell did you start this thread, in the first place?!?! :huh:
you DID know people would misunderstand you, c'mon... you were like this even before we knew the dvd would have been shot in Milan :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom