Longets "40 chant" Ever!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

learn2kneel

War Child
The "how long to sing this songs" in Chicago went on for extremely long. All the way from when Bono left the stage till the house lights came on, probly around 10 minutes.

I've listened to most of the bootlegs and they usually jsut started applauding after Larry's solo, but in this case we kept singing for what seemed like forever.

Anyone know what the longest 40 chant after the shows over is?

Good Question learn2kneel
It is my hope it gets longer every show.....I digress...

The singular best audience driven song was Boston Garden 94
The GD had returned I after approx 10 yrs from playing Boston proper it's encore time they leave the stage and suddenly the rythimic clap of ....

you all know the start of HEY BO-Diddley? or oh SHe's the One by Bruce yep those great songs anyway thats the clapping and this goes on for 10 minutes..

Eventually out comes the band after a Great Setlist and pick up the Crowd Vibe and immediatley go into the tune from that audience driven clap...

The Band and Crowd where one hopefully the same is now true 4
U2

Last edited:
Back on 31 January 1985 (I believe it was), the band played 40 for 16:45 - presumably the chanting brought them back multiple times to keep playing!

I'm wondering when on this tour the band will come back out and pick up their instruments to continue 40.

Axver said:
Back on 31 January 1985 (I believe it was), the band played 40 for 16:45 - presumably the chanting brought them back multiple times to keep playing!

I'm wondering when on this tour the band will come back out and pick up their instruments to continue 40.

Thanks Axver, I figured youd be on here before too long to answer that question. Last night we also did a syncronized clap that was really cool also. I was trying to telepathically communicate with the band to come back out, but it didn't quite work. Maybe next time.

In March of 1985 in Toronto, Canada at the Maple Leaf Gardens people were still chanting "How long to sing this song" OUTSIDE THE ARENA AND DOWN THE STREETS OF DOWNTOWN!!!! It was amazing.

I heard a rumor and I don't know if it's true... but people went on singing 'How long' for 40 minutes at once...

learn2kneel said:

Thanks Axver, I figured youd be on here before too long to answer that question. Last night we also did a syncronized clap that was really cool also. I was trying to telepathically communicate with the band to come back out, but it didn't quite work. Maybe next time.

Yeah...that was fucking amazing... even though the band had already left, for me that was one of the greatest moments of the show. I've never been so lifted! I get all joyous just thinking about it... I almost expected the band to come out...I mean the whole audience was singing and clapping for at LEAST five minutes after everyone in the band had left the stage... 'til whenever the lights came back on...

I cant get enough of that song. Its nothing short of brilliance. May the chants last forever!

PHX2 was pretty long...supposidly Larry played an extra bit at the end of it because of the continuous chanting..then people were walking out of the building in masses singing it..it was pretty amazing..you could hear this blanket of people walkign down the strais singing when youw ere outside

Larry played an extra bit both nights of the Phoenix show (I remember waiting for it the second night, so it must've happened the first night).
People continued to sing as they left the building after the first night as well. While waiting to get out of the parking lot, someone had their radio blaring 40 and it seemed as if our entire section of the parking lot was singing along.

Harry Vest said:
In March of 1985 in Toronto, Canada at the Maple Leaf Gardens people were still chanting "How long to sing this song" OUTSIDE THE ARENA AND DOWN THE STREETS OF DOWNTOWN!!!! It was amazing.

Yes, this occured in Vancouver in 1987 as well, white flags flying and singing as we walked away from the stadium.

At the show in Vancouver, our friends were sitting behind the soundboard. At the end of "40" the crew cracked open the "Zamboni"doors, and as each member walked off, ushered them right into their limos and whipped them away. It was very surreal, to see this crowd chanting away, and they are already half way to the hotel!

Atlanta - Joshua Tree tour, we sang 40 out of the arena down into the train station, 15 minutes on the platform waiting for the train and on the train for 5 stops, I swear to Bono!! One of the most beautiful experiences of my life and I will never forget it.

I was at Chi-1 Saturday night and I cried when everyone kept going, just remembering that first show. :sad:

Back
Top Bottom