Live concerts on itunes.... right.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zooropa man

Refugee
I wonder what ever happened to that comment made by Steve Jobs regarding having a live show available thru itunes. Two legs have gone and passed and nothing. My guess, it'll never happen. I mean, every show is out there anyways. Why would any reputable fan pay 0.99 cents a song(23 songs or so in a show), when they could just simply download it themselves, for free. I think that the only thing that would make me buy something that I already have is the sound quality. That's it. How about the rest of you? Any thoughts??:eyebrow:

Last edited:
I think a casual fan who couldn't get to concert or didn't want to pay that much, but who wasn't savvy/hardcore enough to use the torrents or whatever, might buy a concert from their city...I dunno. :shrug: You're probably right though, that it won't happen because U2 bootlegs are so widespread and easy to acquire, and frankly U2 have always supported them.

i think if they released full shows for say around 10 bucks then it could be worth it for the sound quality. the good thing about static setlists is youd only need to download 1 or 2 and you wouldnt really miss anything.

Well I know U2 dont release live cd's very often and there isnt much officially released live stuff out there aside from the dvds and audio rips..etc. I dont think they are a band that would release all of the shows, sales would be all over and not concentrated to one show date. plus the setlists are relatively the same. Joe O'Herily did mention that all the shows do get recorded, so I would not be surprised if the rumors about a live download are true, but maybe 20 or 25 different songs from all different shows. I think that would work and sell real well on iTunes.

True, different songs from different concerts would work. I think it's more likely, if anything, we will see an EP. And that is a big "if"...

Or maybe they're waiting until the tour is over and will release a few choice concerts. I could get into that.

I would love to see this happen
If you go to the Pearl Jam section on iTunes they have quite a few live concerts offered - the ones I looked at seemed to be by song only (meaning that if you wanted the entire concert you would have to purchase each song individually instead of a standard 9.99). This would work out the best for u2 fans in the sense of being able to nab the best versions of a particulary song or a rare one that was played.
because I much as I love Pride I don't need over 20 versions of it:wink:

Last edited:
Live concerts on itunes.... right.

He meant to say...
Live concerts on itunes.... I dunno.

This just isn't up U2's street.
The concerts wouldn't really sell - as other posters have stated, fans would just dld their fave tracks and wouldn't dld repeated tracks - and if any concerts DID become available then U2 (or should I say PMc) would be savvy enough to know that fans would put up the concerts for other fans to just 'leech' off and therefore not buying legal dlds and not supporting the band.

The only light I see at the end of the tunnel is a couple of concerts up for grabs from iTunes and a couple of tour DVDs being major releases.

Zooropa man said:
I I mean, every show is out there anyways. Why would any reputable fan pay 0.99 cents a song(23 songs or so in a show), when they could just simply download it themselves, for free. I think that the only thing that would make me buy something that I already have is the sound quality. That's it. How about the rest of you? Any thoughts??:eyebrow:

Well if that was the only reason....every U2 album you can download for free too but i still buy those (which i cant say i do for every artist though :wink: ). I would love to have the shows ive been to in good soundboard quality, maybe mixed with a little audience..(i wouldnt even care if they were mp3s)

I always had the feeling that U2 wanted to release these Vertigo gigs (via Itunes or any other way) to prevent fans from being ripped off! Pearl Jam did this a couple of years ago; they released áll their gigs from that tour on CD for a very low price!

But now that they know that all (or almost all) their Vertigo shows are available on the internet (u2torrents.com) they don't have that feeling anymore; Fans get the gigs for free and noone gets ripped off...

I think I'd buy any concert I'd been to if the sound quality is right.
I mean, reliving Dublin 1 :drool:

Seriously, it's a great idea.

Metallica also did this for their last tour, every gig cost 10 USdollars. Wasn't via iTunes though, it was through their official site and you had to be a member (which was free, though).

I think it is a great concept. It doesn't cost them as much as making cd's, because they do not have to pay for the cd and the cd-case itself. The shows can be really great sound quality, mixed and all. I would buy the one I was at, and probably a couple more.

How about U2.com providing some concert downloads for us suckers...I mean fans' who paid for a subscription. Besides getting a ticket from the pre-sale I feel totally ripped off by them. I seem to recall them in the beginning saying that they would be providing concert downloads to subscribers. So far we have 1 x video clip of COBL. Come on!!!! :mad:

U2 would generate alot of revenue if they elected to make CD's available or downloads off a site available. The fact that bootlegs are available on torrents has nothing to do with them not doing this IMO. Other lesser known artists who are also heavily bootlegged have done this and done very well. U2 would also, if not better.

Personally I would absolutely love it. Great recordings of every single show. I was very skeptical though when I heard this info before the tour. The band are perfectionists. They dont like to release stuff they feel isnt their best work. So the idea of all of their mistakes being out their officially doesnt appeal to them. As a fan, those are actually the things I enjoy, those "mistakes", but the band doesnt like it. :shrug: I'm hoping eventually the pressure to do it causes them to cave in on it, but I'm very skeptical they will.

Also, regarding the band endorsing bootlegs or taping. Not really. They have said they dont mind fans sharing or trading, but they also dont allow taping at shows. So they pay lip service to it only.

dezmaas said:
How about U2.com providing some concert downloads for us suckers...I mean fans' who paid for a subscription. Besides getting a ticket from the pre-sale I feel totally ripped off by them. I seem to recall them in the beginning saying that they would be providing concert downloads to subscribers. So far we have 1 x video clip of COBL. Come on!!!! :mad:

Amen!

Blue Room said:
..The band are perfectionists. They dont like to release stuff they feel isnt their best work. So the idea of all of their mistakes being out their officially doesnt appeal to them...

But they released AB with a noticable mistake on - a dropped drumstick by Larry - and UABRS has a bum note played by The Edge.
Also, who can forget the unprepared release of POP?

Hey, and I've just realised that the Elevation Boston DVD has The Edge getting pissed off with his guitar not something that he would choose to relive, but it's on there.

So maybe they would be happy to release their mistakes.

dezmaas said:

you are not a real U2FAN!!!!!

zwervers2 said:

you are not a real U2FAN!!!!!

In all fairness. It IS a pretty "low key" website and the 40 bucks is a joke if you look what the people(notice the "the people") get for that kind of money..I hope it is donated to some good cause or something and not to those idiots who make the site(sorry Adam but your brother shouldn't be even allowed to tie you shoelaces)

U2mixer said:

But they released AB with a noticable mistake on - a dropped drumstick by Larry - and UABRS has a bum note played by The Edge.

Also, who can forget the unprepared release of POP?

Hey, and I've just realised that the Elevation Boston DVD has The Edge getting pissed off with his guitar not something that he would choose to relive, but it's on there.

So maybe they would be happy to release their mistakes.

For the most part you are talking about studio work, some of which is not even noticeable unless you are listening for it. (ie the AB drumstick thing). POP they were forced to release it early, it was not their choice. Regarding Party Girl, Edge didnt want the bum note on the album and neither did the producer. Bono argued for it and he won. I'm not saying that sometimes they dont mind those mistakes getting out if they are minor. There are always exceptions to the rule. I do know they prefer it not to be that way. So why would they do something that would put them in that situation that they are not being forced to do or that there is any major reason they have to do? They wont. Which is unfortunate.

U2mixer said:

i really think this ruined the dvd to a certain extent. very sloppy editing of footage compiled from the two shoots. you can see that he is playing two different guitars through out the song. trying to hard to be "cool" or something.

I would pay for soundboards of shows I attended. I prefer entire shows to individual tracks. the show was presented in its entirety and that's the way I like to listen to them. I'm surprised there isn't more interest in entire shows on this thread.

ascender_RS said:
So, for those of us in the dark, where about on AB is the dropped drumstick moment?

Ultra violet (light my way):
Around 3:10-3:15 part of the drums fall silent for and start again after a few seconds.
According to the book "Into the heart", this is because Larry dropped a drumstick.
The rest of the band carried on and Larry quickly recovered.

Back
Top Bottom