Live 8 Rebroadcast Sat July 9th! (MTV Corrects their Wrong?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chrisedge

Fan & Taper
For all of you North American viewers who were disgusted by the MTV/VH1 coverage of the Live8 show - there's hope. After receiving a flood of complaints from viewers regarding the Live8 coverage, MTV/VH1 sent out a press release today announcing they will air 10 consecutive hours of Live 8 performances, free from commercial interruption, this Saturday July 9th. VH1 will start off the broadcast with the first five hours of the concert, which is scheduled to air from 10am-3pm ET/PT. MTV will then jump in and show an additional five hours, ending the broadcast at 8pm ET/PT. The president of MTVN Music Group, Van Toffler, was quoated as saying "At MTV and VH1, we're in a constant and candid dialogue with our audience. In the wake of our coverage last Saturday, our viewers have resoundingly told us on-line they want to see full performances from their favorite artists. As a result of viewer demand and thanks to the Live 8 organizers and performers, MTV & VH1 will air 10 consecutive hours from one of the most important musical events of our time." For everyone who took the time to send a note to MTV, pat yourself on the back - and set those TIVOs.

(I posted in the complaints thread, but wanted this seen!)

Last edited:
yeah it's a little late now that you can see any performance you want on demand on aolmusic.

Yeah but its not the same to watch it on a computer monitor versus a large screen TV connected to your stereo.:wink:

thats why i connect my laptop to my plasma and surround sound and im good to go :wink:

Chizip said:
thats why i connect my laptop to my plasma and surround sound and im good to go :wink:

That's interesting. In all seriousness is the video quality really good. I just bought a new laptop which should be arriving next week. Is it really worth hooking it up to the TV to watch streaming video?

Oh well I hadn't actually hooked it up for streaming video. The quality will just be as good as it is on the laptop screen, so when you expand one of those small AOL video boxes to full screen I wouldnt think the quality would be very good at all.

Though when I hook it up to watch U2 DVD's I've downloaded it looks very nice :drool:

This is great news! I've got a bit of a logistics problem with tapes and such because I'm working 9-5 tomorrow, but it's still a LOT better than we've had before!!! Besides, I've seen all of U2 at least once, and there is still a DVD that's going to be released...

But it's nice to see that MTV Networks is atoning for the public relations hit they took last week! It pays to complain!!!

:up: Well at least it something. I signed the petition and emailed MTV & VH1 and the powers that be.
I'm looking forward to seeing what I can on tv tomorrow.

If only we could convince them to go back to showing a variety of music videos instead of the Kelly channel VH1/MTV> (don't watch at all) has turned into. :eyebrow:

Well, a bit late for me, as I was stuck with MTV's shitty coverage in the US and now I'm back in Australia. :sigh:

Though I'll probably buy the DVD and that'd be better than a television broadcast anyway, so I guess it's OK.

i've been on an orgy of downloading high quality mpeg2 captures of live 8 performances :p

neutral said:
I've gotten 5 DVDs so far myself. :crack:

holy crap. mind emailing me about where you got them? :wink:

theres one set of 5 DVDs which is being torrented by a guy named Ritsch but its been very slow for me-- i've only gotten about 40% of the first dvd in 3 days

abdul.ahmad AT gmail.com

Sorry, I double posted this thread.:rolleyes:

This is from the thread I posted. I thought more people might read it here. Sorry, if It's already been posted too.
By Ken Kerschbaumer -- Broadcasting & Cable, 7/8/2005 11:17:00 AM

Abstract: MTV and VH1 are giving anyone who suffered through the commercial-heavy and interview-laden Live 8 coverage last Saturday a chance to see full and additional performances on July 9. (Rule one: don’t interrupt Dave Gilmour’s guitar solo on "Comfortably Numb" so a VJ can tell viewers that Pink Floyd is on stage.

Way to go Ken Kerschbaumer!

Even my husband who never, hardly ever watches MTV or VH1 was griping and complaining about their coverage today when I brought it up. I wish I would have complained in the gripe thread or sent MTV an email, but I didn't.:sad:

Last edited:
I posted this in the other thread as well. Since Chris posted it there as well, I believe, thought I'd add my 2 cents here too:

Each channel is supposedly showing 5 hours, with each channeling focusing more on the demographics of their audience. So VH1 would be playing the bands such as U2, Sting, Pink Floyd, etc., while MTV would be airing more of the performances by Green Day, etc. I thought that's what I read somewhere today, but too tired to track it down.

I, for one, am desperately missing Sway's commentary. It's just not the same :sad:.

Just kidding :reject:

I'm leaving for vacation in a little bit, so I won't be home to change the channel when it switches over to MTV for Green Day, but I'm glad U2's full set is finally on a VHS tape :up:

Oh great, they've now switched to Philiadelphia :sigh:.

So when we do we think U2's performance will be shown on the two networks?

Right at the beginning of MTV's coverage? (3PM on the East Coast) Is that right?

It was shown right at the beginning of the VH1 broadcast and it will be shown at the beginning of the MTV broadcast. Both broadcasts are showing the beginning and end of the London show. The link to MTV's site that I posted above lists the order of play for each broadcast.

VH1 is airing from 10:00AM to 3:00PM and MTV from 3:00PM to 8:00PM

Last edited:
neutral said:

Well I'm getting most of it from alt.binaries.dvd.music and alt.binaries.m peg.video.music. The newsgroups are loaded with Live 8 stuff right now.
yeah i've been getting individual performances mostly (u2, green day, mcartney, who, floyd, dido, etc).. i've gotten 1 compilation DVD so far...

the only thing that i haven't really been able to find is anything from edinburgh.. except the corrs which was posted here

bcrt2000 said:

yeah i've been getting individual performances mostly (u2, green day, mcartney, who, floyd, dido, etc).. i've gotten 1 compilation DVD so far...

Have you gotten that Madonna/Robbie Williams/U2/Finale w. Paul McCartney compilation DVD by chance?

neutral said:

Have you gotten that Madonna/Robbie Williams/U2/Finale w. Paul McCartney compilation DVD by chance?

i might have it queued-- im not sure.. i have a lot queued right now (not at my main pc right now), the one i got had u2/mccartney/dido/rem/duran duran/good charlotte/some others/black eyed peas/ub40.. its labelled Live8 DVD1 ...

however the aspect ratio is set to 4:3 when 90% of the DVD should actually be in 16:9. i edited the IFO file succesfully so it plays it in 16:9 in powerdvd, but on my standalone pioneer it still plays only in 4:3

unfortunately i'm also having major problems on my main pc.. i think my power supply is starting to give out as my PC has rebooted like 3 times this morning.. if it reboots again i'm heading out to the computer shop ASAP.. i've also been having problems related to my memory for a few weeks now (paring errors&possibly bad downloads).. i've opened up both sides of my case and put a fan towards the area of my PC but i'm still having problems :(..

Err..I still have the following which I've done nothing with as yet...

1 Live8 Hyde Park - Part 1 - BBC2 02-07-2005 DVD_mpg 17,817,206,784
2 Live8 Hyde Park - Part 2 - BBC1 02-07-2005 DVD_mpg 19,775,438,848
3 Live 8 Highlights EP1 BBC3 03-07-2005 DVD_mpg 2,709,774,340
4 Live8 Philadelphia (Complete) BBC3 03-07-2005 DVD_mpg 17,930,065,920
5 Live 8 Highlights EP2 BBC3 04-07-2005 DVD_mpg 3,249,854,464
6 Live 8 Highlights EP3 BBC3 05-07-2005 DVD_mpg 3,299,745,792
7 Live 8 Highlights EP4 BBC3 06-07-2005 DVD_mpg 3,245,006,848
8 Live 8 Highlights EP5 BBC3 07-07-2005 DVD_mpg 3,123,605,508
9 Live 8 Highlights EP6 BBC3 08-07-2005 DVD_mpg 2,737,358,852
10 Destiny's Child Interview - Live8 Philadelphia BBC3 03-07-2005 DVD_mpg 106,934,276
11 Stevie Wonder Interview - Live8 Philadelphia BBC3 03-07-2005 DVD_mpg 228,947,972
12 Live 8 Murrayfield BBC3 06-07-2005 DVD Part 1 10,392,068,096
13 Live 8 Murrayfield BBC3 06-07-2005 DVD Part 2 2,919,589,888

Each highlights program is an hour long and contains various footage from all the concerts. When I'm done recording the T in the Park festival highlights today and tomorrow I will sort through them and list what performances there are which aren't duplicates of the Hyde Park and Philadelphia footage :)

The two interviews were part of the BBC1 coverage of Philadelphia, presented by Graham Norton, which was shown after the conclusion of the Hyde Park concert. This was repeated in full the following night (without interviews) and consists of just the performances without adverts or delays while they rotated the stage etc :wink: I removed the interviews from the Saturday night recording and deleted the rest as it is all in file 4 :up:

This is all the coverage that I believe has and will be broadcast by the BBC :)

All footage is 8Mbps PAL. Not DVB-S/T etc but captured from digital TV via analogue cables. The only fault is that the BBC switched coverage from BBC2 to BBC1 during UB40 - Red Red Wine but I may well have this in full in one of the highlights programmes.

Here are a couple of sample bitmaps from Hyde Park part 1...

live8 hyde park - part 1 - bbc2 02-07-2005 dvd-mpg001.bmp

live8 hyde park - part 1 - bbc2 02-07-2005 dvd-mpg002.bmp

My DVDs will be very similar quality to my recent U2 Uncovered capture :wink:

Can we start a vine or something for these because there is far too much for me to torrent or upload?

ps. I need to do these before I can finish the ZooTV compilation :hyper:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom