lisbon setlist here:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The sets stink. The Zoo and Pop shows may have been just as static as Vertigo, but those sets were just better.

I had like 10 boots from this tour, and tossed them all becuse of how bad the sets were.

The only real highlight is Electric Co and Gloria, and you don't get both in one night.

Adding Miss Sarajevo is a move in the right direction. But why on Earth did they drop OOTS after playing it electric?

They could fix it by moving in 2 or 3 tunes, like Gone, Crumbs, and something old like 11 O'Clock.

Pride, NYD, Elevation, Bullet, SBS, Streets all need a rest.

I'm not sure if you people quite understand...U2 is not playing shows for the people sitting at their computer screens reading the setlists. U2 is playing shows for the people THERE. Furthermore, they're playing on the assumption that the majority of the crowd is only going to see them once or twice this tour. So what does it matter if they play the exact same setlist every night? Except they don't even do that, they switch some things up in cities with multiple gigs, and there was more variety during the 1st leg than ZooTV, Popmart, or possibly even Elevation.

It's only predictable because you read about it every night.

The internet takes away the element of surprise, sadly. But you know what? The majority of the people there probably DON'T know what U2 is going to play.

Man, it amazes me that U2 can bring up fucking MISS SARAJEVO - a song from a SIDE PROJECT that was only played live, what, once before? - and people are STILL bitching. And bitching. And bitching. I just can't fathom how you can be complaining so much about shows you're not even at - or if you are going to the shows, then why do you keep going? In the hopes that they might play something different? Personally, if I had the money and time I'd see U2 50 times even if they played the exact same setlist each night. But I guess that makes me a blind follower, doesn't it?

For the record, I have my own gripes about the tour - namely the exclusion of Pop and Zooropa, two of my favourite albums. But the thing is it's been discussed to death. Vertigo times two has been discussed to death. The lack of setlist variation has been discussed to death. As StlElevation said, these threads are as predictable as the setlists themselves - probably even more so.

Am I saying we should take away all dissenting opinion? NO. But I think it's time to move on from this topic.

^^what the genius above me said.....:wink:

And chill people just in general...tis the summer go out and make daisy chains...

yes people do what AtomicBono said.....this is a U2 forum so please don't bitch and complain, and remember to kiss u2's ass every chance you get.

xaviMF22 said:
yes people do what AtomicBono said.....this is a U2 forum so please don't bitch and complain, and remember to kiss u2's ass every chance you get.

:eyebrow: right, because by posting my opinions on a U2 forum I'm "kissing U2's ass"...

there we go with the "blind follower" accusations. Lovely. Even earlier than expected. Good job :up:

xaviMF22 said:
.....this is a U2 forum so please don't bitch and complain, and remember to kiss u2's ass every chance you get.

oh. my. lord.

i was going to stay out of this thread or try to really until i read that bullshit.

this is a u2 forum , heaven fucking forbid people actually LIKE this tour or LIKE the setlists. if you're allowed to bitch nonstop about the setlists and cry about it, why can't people praise the setlists? or the tour? only negativity allowed?

last time i checked these setlists were the most varied as they've been in a long time. not so much on the european leg, but gee, i wonder why, most of the stops there on "eurigo" are one city stops. why are they going to fuck around with the setlists when they have an apparent mood/theme/setlist that they want to play?

first leg, the setlists were as varied as ever really. they alternated openers until they decided on city of blinding lights opening....and then even on the last show 5/28, they open with love and peace or else.

they bring back the electric co, gloria, 40, zoo station, the ocean, an cat dubh, into the heart, running to stand still, but hey, they're only playing the classics. theyre only appealing to the mass mainstream of fans by doing that. because you know, those songs are wicked recognizeable by the casual post 2000 fan.

aditionally, those songs were rotated on almost a nightly basis. original of the species was thrown in instead of yahweh at roughly over a quarter of the shows, even though it was CLEAR that they're not "comfortable" playing it.

they even alternated vertigo x2 instead of 40, and even at one point, played BOTH which was quite amazing at new jersey 1 with the 40 drum solo being played by larry and then ripping into the vertigo beat.

they brought back whos gonna ride your wild horses for the first time since ZooTV (not counting a snippet on elevation tour.)

then you figure theyre going to play X amount of songs from atomic bomb, vertigo, city of blinding lights, love and peace or else, sometimes, miracle drug, yahweh/oots, all because of you and eventually we will see crumbs. theres seven songs from the new album to go along with everything they've already brought back.

so of course they're going to play one, where the streets have no name, pride, beautiful day. they are four of their biggest and most recognizeable songs. one, streets and BD are incredible live songs, and while i dont care much for pride live, it has been better on this tour than it has in a long time.

of course theyre going to have their little political part of the concert, and the love and peace or else --> sunday bloody sunday ---> bullet the blue sky transition works very well. maybe you're tired of bullet, maybe you love it, but at least it's changed every tour, and it's pretty cool this tour I think. would I like to see it alternated with Please? sure. but do i really have a problem with them playing it every night? no, because they always have, and it's a really cool eerie and haunting ending. and for those who say the crowd is "dead" during it, i guess you missed the huge applause edge receives after finishing his solo.

so then you're left with elevation and the fly, and i'm guessing nobody here has a problem with the fly being played every night. but if they play elevation every night, oh no, u2 sucks. theyre playing a song with not so great lyrics, oh no. theyve sold out. they suck. you know what? the song works live, it just fucking works live. its a fun dumb little rock song that works.

until the end of the world has made a few guest apperanaces as well.

now people will bitch and moan on why zooropa and pop have been skipped over this tour, well, NOTHING from zooropa was played on popmart, but hey, let's ignore that. how many songs from zooropa actually work live? two? stay and dirty day? stay was only awesome acoustically and there really is no acoustic set on this tour. they play one acoustic song a night ,yahweh or party girl. and then you have pop being skipped over. well, the only songs that i could even see working from pop on this tour are gone and mofo, and the only way mofo would work would be in the encore opener instead of zoo station, but then people would complain where did the almighty zoo station go? so theyre kinda fucked if they do, fucked if they don't right there. gone could work too, but i'm not sure where. please could as well, and i'm betting that it does get played on the third leg considering they practically played it in chicago but decided against it at the last minute for whatever reasons, probably because they didn't feel they had it down right.

so, let me get this straight, u2 would rather get a song down perfectly before playing it mediocre live (ala crumbs, please and oots even though they have played oots sporadically this tour), what fucking assholes.

the setlists are the most variable that they've been in a long time, except for the european leg really. i forgot to mention that they brought miss sarajevo out of the blue, im sure a lot of people expected that, talk about a greatest hits tour. thats to be expected the staticness on the european tour for the reasons i stated earlier with the one stop usually.

but hey, then people will say well, "you know what, it was OK for the zooTV and popmart sets to be static because they were so good!!! " um, thats just your opinion, maybe people like hearing the electric co, gloria and others over some of the stuff on pop or achtung baby. so that's not really a valid arguement at all because that's going to come down to your fucking preference. pop's one of my favorite fucking albums, but i like the vertigo tour setlists better than fucking popmart, i guess that makes me a blind follower.

so really, save me the bullshit that u2 arent trying to put on a good rock and roll show for the fucking people they are playing to. they are playing to THAT audience on THAT given night in THAT city. they aren't playing to dickheads like us sitting here on the computer waiting to see what the fuck u2 played. WHEN have u2 ever dramatically changed their setlists on one stop visits to countries?? never. so why the hell would they start now??

you don't like the songs on the setlist? well, im sorry about that, but that just comes down to taste. but to say u2 aren't playing or trying to put on a good show because they've had fairly static setlists in europe is just mentally deficient.

so in fucking conclusion, i love the fucking vertigo fucking tour, and if that fucking makes me a blind follower, then im fucking blinder than a bat.

guys, please...everyone's allowed to have their own opinion on this, so long as everyone can discuss it in a civil manner. this doesn't seem to be happening. this is the second warning (sicy said something earlier in the thread). please cease the bickering and name calling or the thread will have to be closed.

I'd like to thank U2Man for sticking up for me. Today is the first day I have ever posted an opinion re: the setlists on these boards.

For the record, I was not "bitching and moaning" about the setlists. I'm just tired of people posting that people shouldn't complain. Again, just b/c we don't agree doesn't mean either of us should be silenced. (that's the collective "we" there :wink: )

Unless you're a mod, no one has the right to tell anyone what they can and can not discuss. (as long as it's within the forum rules of course)

To Sicy and neutral: I apologize for adding fuel to the fire. I was just really sick of people bashing the critical fans here.

I expect 1 new song in Lisborn.....
It would be like Wild Horses on at the Boston III Show.....

Electrical Storm?, Crumbs?.....Something else?.....Walk On?......

Dont get our hopes up to much though, it could just be the same set.

bono_man2002 said:
I expect 1 new song in Lisborn.....
It would be like Wild Horses on at the Boston III Show.....

Electrical Storm?, Crumbs?.....Something else?.....Walk On?......

Dont get our hopes up to much though, it could just be the same set.

I'm calling Yahweh AND Party Girl. Ooooh.

WildHoneyAlways said:
I'd like to thank U2Man for sticking up for me. Today is the first day I have ever posted an opinion re: the setlists on these boards.

For the record, I was not "bitching and moaning" about the setlists. I'm just tired of people posting that people shouldn't complain. Again, just b/c we don't agree doesn't mean either of us should be silenced. (that's the collective "we" there :wink: )

Unless you're a mod, no one has the right to tell anyone what they can and can not discuss. (as long as it's within the forum rules of course)

To Sicy and neutral: I apologize for adding fuel to the fire. I was just really sick of people bashing the critical fans here.

And I'm tired of being called a "blind follower" or something along those lines everytime I say something positive about what U2 is doing.

Oh well, to each his own.

StlElevation: :applaud: you kilt 'em.

I don't see why this needs to dissolve into a "I deserve the right to make positive comment" vs "I deserve the right to make negative comment" Obviously both are equally as welcome and equally as valid.

Like everything this tour has its pros and cons. Setlist wise (which is the topic atm) on the positive side for me Zoo Station, Electric Co, The Fly & Gloria are in the house, while on the negative side overall setlist seem to be fairly predictable and large chunks of the catalogue being disregarded. I don't think making that kind of comment makes me a bitcher or a whinger (although it may not have been directed at me). :shrug:

timothius said:
I don't see why this needs to dissolve into a "I deserve the right to make positive comment" vs "I deserve the right to make negative comment" Obviously both are equally as welcome and equally as valid.

Like everything this tour has its pros and cons. Setlist wise (which is the topic atm) on the positive side for me Zoo Station, Electric Co, The Fly & Gloria are in the house, while on the negative side overall setlist seem to be fairly predictable and large chunks of the catalogue being disregarded. I don't think making that kind of comment makes me a bitcher or a whinger (although it may not have been directed at me). :shrug:

nothing I said was directed at you.

good post, I agree :up:

timothius said:

good post tim-tam :up:

StlElevation said:

so really, save me the bullshit that u2 arent trying to put on a good rock and roll show for the fucking people they are playing to. they are playing to THAT audience on THAT given night in THAT city.

I'm sorry, but did you even read everything that Zoomerang originally posted? If they have sooooo great and warm feelings about which crowd they are playing to, why are all treated exactly the same then (at least the last 8 shows or so)? Why couldn't a single Spanish city get Spanish eyes? I've asked this question more than once in this thread, but is seems appropriate here, too.

You would probably repeat your point that they are playing this setlist because it is what they think is the best they can come up with at the moment. - But in that case you seem to agree that there is absolutely no difference between on the one hand the concept of a theater or a movie and on the on the hand a rock show. Just press "play", and everyone is happy - and noone asks any questions. I think this is where people in here will never agree.

Last edited:
Morning U2Man

Thread gone wild Available on VHS, DVD and BETAMAX

yimou said:
Morning U2Man

Thread gone wild Available on VHS, DVD and BETAMAX

Morning yimou, you have to join one of these discussions one day :wink: Yes, some people apparently really need to swear a lot to prove their point... :|

Btw. do you know who Fred Phillips is? :scratch:

Last edited:
U2Man said:

Morning yimou, you have to join one of these discussions one day :wink: Yes, some people apparently really needs to swear a lot to prove their point... :|

Been there, done that. I have my own opinion and thats all that matters. I read though the entire thread and you always get involved :lol: .. Its very entertaining my friend :up:

yimou said:

Been there, done that. I have my own opinion and thats all that matters. I read though the entire thread and you always get involved :lol: .. Its very entertaining my friend :up:

Hey wait! You WERE there, in the beginning, I remember. You made a very valid point, perhaps the best in this thread at all :up:

Now, who is Fred Phillips? :wink:

U2Man said:

Hey wait! You WERE there, in the beginning, I remember. You made a very valid point, perhaps the best in this thread at all :up:

Now, who is Fred Phillips? :wink:

:lol: Yeah i was there,,, Fred Philips ?? I dont know, please tell me :wink: Is it me ???, Is it you ?? Is it Zoomerangs avatar ??

yimou said:

:lol: Yeah i was there,,, Fred Philips ?? I dont know, please tell me :wink: Is it me ???, Is it you ?? Is it Zoomerangs avatar ??

:eyebrow: Now yimou, DID you read the entire thread :hmm: It is the guy in Zoomerangs avatar, and I don't know who he is. - and apparently, I should, because he's dangerous :shh: :wink:

AtomicBono said:

And I'm tired of being called a "blind follower" or something along those lines everytime I say something positive about what U2 is doing.

Oh well, to each his own.

StlElevation: :applaud: you kilt 'em.

I may have missed something, but noone actually called you that or something along those lines in this thread. You people were the ones who brought it up. Don't know why you do it all the time :shrug:

timothius said:

:applaud: :up:

Thanks timothius, for making a very good point and lifting this thread up from vulgarism and profanity.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom