lisbon setlist here:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yimou said:

Still the so called Minority should be allowed to speak up, just like the majority,, Right ??
i totally agree everyone should have an opinion, but thats what i am getting at, we are all moaning about what U2 should or shouldnt do, but if they did something there would always be someone else to moan about how they shouldnt have done it,

night 1 U2 play one setlist night 2 U2 play another, and the people that didnt go to night 1, arent happy because they missed out on hearing some songs that were played on night 1

and do you not find it a waste of time that the same person creates numourous threads and posts in other threads just to state the same opinion? do so many people ALWAYS have to be so negative about what U2 are doing now? and if there isnt ONE positive thing people can say about the U2 of today then why are they still following the band?

sorry all imo of course

hey i love u2, they are by far my favorite band, and i have enjoyed every show ive been to on this tour.

but would i like to see more changes in the setlist? sure. am i little underwhelmed by this current tour? yeah i dont think it's their best. but thats alright because they all cant be the best, its still better than any other bands show.

Chizip said:
hey i love u2, they are by far my favorite band, and i have enjoyed every show ive been to on this tour.

but would i like to see more changes in the setlist? sure. am i little underwhelmed by this current tour? yeah i dont think it's their best. but thats alright because they all cant be the best, its still better than any other bands show.
so you would rank it bottom?

U2Man said:

:scratch: How could you know?

Because, because, because...you know what I mean. Every song sounds like a whole new song with a different crowd.:madspit:

1stOne said:

Because, because, because...you know what I mean. Every song sounds like a whole new song with a different crowd.:madspit:

Yes, but to be a bit serious here.....a lot of people in here are saying that U2 is GOOD now, people are happy at the shows and so on. Yes, I'm sure they are, and I'm sure I would be happy too, if I was there. BUT - you cannot know how people would feel if U2 did some of the things that Zoomerang96 implies that they should do. Maybe they would be 10x as happy and crazy, who knows? Maybe they would be 10x less happy because U2 would :censored: up every single song. We cannot know. :shrug:

Zoomerang, I am partly speaking your case here, and you won't tell me who is in your avatar :madspit: :madspit: :madspit:

KUEFC09U2 said:
so you would rank it bottom?

yes, i would rank it as their worst tour since the 80's. and apparently 24% of the people agree with me. but thats cool, we all have our preferences and love different things.

Chizip said:

yes, i would rank it as their worst tour since the 80's. and apparently 24% of the people agree with me. but thats cool, we all have our preferences and love different things.

I love Italian ice cream :drool:

Zoomer makes some good points and I agree with him.
I don't complain openly b/c I don't like people telling how to think/what I think is wrong. :shrug: Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I don't hate the band; this just isn't my favorite tour.

I agree with WildHoneyAlways. And you don't have to like pepperoni all of you, just because I do. Now I said it.

Well the problem with your argument is that most of the people who go to the shows don't see them night after night. If they were playing in the same city with the same people show after show, I know they'd pull out some crazy, non-rehearsed stuff. But they're not. Most of the people who see the show only see it once per tour. And they want to see a good show with a mix of the new songs and old songs. They don't care if U2 played the same thing for weeks because, chances are, they haven't been to any of the other shows. It's different going to the shows and looking at the setlist on paper.

Stop acting as if U2 are doing something to make you unhappy, they are doing their best to make the shows fun for everyone who comes. I think it's increadibly stupid that one fan should be telling U2 what to do and to change their setlist when at least 90% of the people who see the show (not us, who see it on paper, night after night) are pleased and will walk away that night amazed at how well the show went.

:|

@IrishDawg: But wouldn't you agree that it would have been cool if at least one Spanish city had got Spanish Eyes, for instance? And don't you think the people there would have gone wild?

you know what?

there really is no proper defense.

am i the only one who seriously questions the artistic integrity of a show if it's scripted to the extreme extent that they're currently providing audiences?

this is not rock and roll. this is not punk. this is theatre, but for all the wrong reasons.

and finally, the man in my avatar is fred phillips. u2man, will you let him happen to you? WILL YOU?!?!?

chizip, it's nice to see someone such as yourself back me up, as well as the others...whom i 7ust don't know quite as well. not that chizip and i are bedfellows, but...you know.

believe me, if rem or radiohead did this their fans would be screaming bloody murder. that actually goes for most groups, but u2's fans are very VERY dedicated to the point where the ma7ority feel they can do no wrong.

i'm gonna send you something mvd. you can take it...or you can send it right back.

because... i want to be on you.

fred phillips? :scratch: Should I know the guy? He sounds dangerous....(searching google wildly for "fred phillips" right now) :wink:

Well, I was about to say that if you imagine a world without the internet and a few other media, the argument about people just being happy to attend one show would be true. But that is BS, too.

Zoomerang is right on one basic issue: What U2 is putting on is not a theatre, it's not a blockbuster movie. It is supposed to be a ROCK SHOW. It has to contain some kind of spontaneity. It has to be somewhat human, not robotic. I would give the band a bit more than Zoomerang, they have put out Miss Sarajevo, Electric Co. and a few others. - But the static setlists we've seen recently is getting too robotic. Something IS wrong when you're at the point where you are wondering whether 4 robots could be programmed to do the next 10 shows without people even noticing it.

U2Man said:
f
Zoomerang is right on one basic issue: What U2 is putting on is not a theatre, it's not a blockbuster movie. It is supposed to be a ROCK SHOW. It has to contain some kind of spontaneity. It has to be somewhat human, not robotic. I would give the band a bit more than Zoomerang, they have put out Miss Sarajevo, Electric Co. and a few others. - But the static setlists we've seen recently is getting too robotic. Something IS wrong when you're at the point where you are wondering whether 4 robots could be programmed to do the next 10 shows without people even noticing it.

i know, and what about for the band themselves?? how can they do that and not be totally sick of it??

i have a very good friend who plays folk music, tours around a bit and so on. he of course doesn't ever play the same songs in the same order night after night, and like he said...he'd find it artistically demeaning to even consider it. as for playing the same song TWICE in one show...OVER AND OVER AGAIN? well that's 7ust pissing on your fans, as far as he's considered.

you mean cause you can record the show you're at and know that 2 months later u2 will be playing the exact same songs in the exact same order?

They have been in a rut the last, what is it, 8 shows I think...for some reason they have it in their head that 1-show cities should get the standard setlist. It doesn't really bother me though cos I'm only seeing one show in November (and it's a Night 2). Maybe U2 are in a roundabout way trying to encourage their fans to do the fiscally responsible thing and only attend one or two shows.

So for that I say Thank You U2.

:D

:laugh:

Well yeah. I don't need to see mostly the same thing a bunch more times (and deplete my wallet at the same time).

I never thought I'd say that, but yeah. :|

Zoomerang96 said:

i know, and what about for the band themselves?? how can they do that and not be totally sick of it??

i have a very good friend who plays folk music, tours around a bit and so on. he of course doesn't ever play the same songs in the same order night after night, and like he said...he'd find it artistically demeaning to even consider it. as for playing the same song TWICE in one show...OVER AND OVER AGAIN? well that's 7ust pissing on your fans, as far as he's considered.

That depends on whether the argument about them not being self-confident enough to change things up, that we saw earlier in this thread, is true. But I would say that having played for nearly 30 years they should be at the point where it is possible for them to change at least one single song from show to show. This would allow them to bring on Spanish Eyes in Spain, for instance, which I am sure the Spanish crowd would have appreciated, would have made them feel that the band did something unique for them alone. - But for some reason, it is just not happening.

Zoomerang96 said:

i know, and what about for the band themselves?? how can they do that and not be totally sick of it??.

This is what baffles me...

I taught the same class for 4 periods last semester and by the time I had to teach it for thte 4th time in the same day I wanted to scream. I felt lame saying the same thing to every class. So I rarely ever did. You have to switch it up for your audience even if they aren't the same group.

Yes, yes, I'm just a teacher but the analogy works just the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom