Let's agree 2 disagree... Vertigo was the Best And Worst tour U2's done yet...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
I predict a riot in this thread... but commense...

The Vertigo tour was probably U2's biggest back to the basics tour, with the technology that they wanted to do since the days of ZOOTV and POPMART. The material on 'Bomb' was and still is strong, showing a matured U2, but still knew how to kick it strong.

What was the best of the Vertigo tour? Aside from 'Where The Streets Have No Name' and 40, here is what I believe to be the best;

-=-=-=-=[BEST BITS OF THE VERTIGO TOUR]=-=-=-=-

1. Opening with "City Of Blinding Lights" in American legs. Because just Vertigo alone opening seems to be boring, COBL seemed to bring that magic, and excitment back, that U2 had lost since they didn't open with "Where The Streets Have No Name" after Lovetown.

2. Zoo Station / The Fly / Mysterious Ways / Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses / Until The End Of The World -- perhaps the most played Achtung, Baby material since ZOO TV itself. Zoo Station was an immerse surprise to concert goers, and amazed even the most hardcore of fans, who dared to even imagine it'd be performed fully again.

3. The Electric Co / An Cat Dubh - Into The Heart / Gloria / The Ocean -- Classic songs from U2's vintage years, destined never to see the light of day ever again. As U2 played them, they showed signs of a band not aging, but remerging with a strong sense of confidence.

4. Discotheque -- perhaps the song that U2 wanted to perform, but was afraid to during Elevation, due to poor reception. U2 played Discotheque 2 times, and both times they were excellent versions. A revamped version of Discotheque made fans ponder, if Pop material was ever to be heard from again. But perhaps U2 was taking a cue from the Killers, and Bravery? Discotheque was performed more as a funk dance rock, rather than electronic and it sounded fresh and sounded like the future.

5. Miss Sarajevo / Running To Standstill -- perhaps the songs that we'd never see ever again. RTSS was a common staple from 1987 until 1993. Fans wanted RTSS to return, but never thought it'd be paired with Bullet, as it had in the past, but alas it had been. But perhaps, the biggest surprise than RTSS, was Miss Sarajevo, given the times we live in, it's a lullaby and a moving message. And let's not forget... Bono singing opera? Easily, if not, the best moment of the tour.

6. Reaching more of the world, since 1993 and 1998. Let's face it, who would hate to wait 8 years to see a concert? I know I wouldn't... and many places got to see U2 perform again. Japan, Brussels, Milan, just a few of the places that got to see, and will see U2. By the time U2 is done, they will have been to almost every place on earth, (or is that, Last Night On Earth?)

-=-=-=-=[CONS OF THE VERTIGO TOUR]=-=-=-=-

1. No Solid closer -- a constant problem, but makes for a good guessing game, and can piss off anyone. It feels much like the POPMART tour, we've seen our share of closers, such songs as Vertigo, Bad, With Or Without You, 40, All I Want Is You -- yet not a single one could stay as the closer. Maybe perhaps this is the reason why U2 chose Vertigo again, had they found themselves in a fickle?

2. Transitions... Most arguably, amongst all U2 fans, is the transition of Pride into Where The Streets Have No Name -- comparitively weak, and lacks that punch, or emotional thrust you crave. With Bad, during the Elevation tour, Streets reached a new height, and to this day, Streets live from Boston 01 is considered the best Streets to date.

3. Poor reception to older songs. Come on, people standing still during Electric Co? You know U2 wrote these songs... don't you? It's off an album called BOY, yeah it had I Will Follow, but it also had great songs on it to, maybe you should have spent that $50 instead of tickets and bought the first three albums.

4. Rambling, and Africa. Forgive me, but while Bono talks about the conditions in Africa, others, including members of the band check their pulse. Though it's passionate, it may not be the right place for it, but advertising pays in America. Bono said those exact words in 2001. And what was up with all the African flags during Streets? Perhaps the next tour will feature red, house lights and a new surprise to it.

5. Songs that were cut up, to be performed live. Miracle Drug, Yahweh, Original Of The Species -- these songs still haven't been figured out how to be played live correctly. Miracle Drug feels rushed, but has a lot of potential. Yahweh would have been the closer for this tour, but instead found an acoustic path, and Original still hasn't been played the band wants it to. They'll get it right next tour.

6. Soundchecked songs, but never performed... or rarely. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, MOFO, Crumbs From Your Table, Spanish Eyes, Love Is Blindness, One Step Closer -- all great songs. MOFO was the most spectulated song, that many fans wanted to see performed, but never found its way. Crumbs was performed a few single number of times, I was fortunate to see the song. Spanish Eyes was rehearsed for Spain, but cut. Love Is Blindness was due for a full performance in Buenos Aires. One Step Closer was rehearsed in Toronto before the tour began.

So there you have it, 12 points about the Vertigo tour, you may agree and disagree with me.

Strong points:

- the oldies and lesser known songs. We got what-6? songs of Boy, Gloria, 40, Running to stand still, Zoo station, Who's gonna ride..., First time, Miss Sarajevo, Love is blindness, Mothers of the dissappeared.

- Bono's voice. He hasn't sounded this good in years.

- touring more of the world this time.

- band sounded strong, Edge in particular is shining.

- variety; openers, closers, setlist changes like we haven't seen in ages.

Bad points:

- tour lacked a bit of identity, it felt like a mix of Elevation and Popmart. I liked the political-ness to it, though.

- rehash; Zoo TV trio + ending with 40.

- lack of Zooropa and Pop songs. Perhaps done at the expense of Boy/AB material. Maybe next time?

Last edited:
The tour is so not over yet - have a wee bit of respect for those still waiting for their beloved to tour in Australia, NZ, Japan and Hawaii....... give us a bit of hope please.....

It will be worth the wait when they finally get here to Oz.Im sure the shows will be great. Electric co was one of my favs for this tour.

theu2fly said:
With Bad, during the Elevation tour, Streets reached a new height, and to this day, Streets live from Boston 01 is considered the best Streets to date.

:eyebrow: :no:

I do agree about the rambling and the transitions though, and I think the tour lacked a lot of spontaneity. It's annoying hearing Bono go "wow" after every Streets performance, hearing the same speech over and over again... a lot of people DO attend more than one concert, and I think U2 knows that. Everything this tour seemed to be very rehearsed; it lacked some passion at times, and Bono is definitely down on the energy scale, although Edge and Adam are definitely not.

I think the lack of spontaneity really was obvious on the third leg as opposed to the first and second, however. Excluding the Toronto and Chicago shows in the beginning.

I think the fact that they switched closers was brilliant - this was a very exciting tour setlist-wise, with 3 different openers and 11 closers. I like the variety.

Good point : They didn't play Acrobat and Dirty Day
cul.gif

Bad point : One Step Closer and A Man and A Woman were not played

theu2fly said:
Streets live from Boston 01 is considered the best Streets to date...

Having attended that show in Boston, that performance of Streets was definitely one of their strongest I've seen in person. Carter Allen, a DJ from WBCN in Boston, announced to the crowd before the show that Streets would be broadcast live at the NBA halftime show on NBC. The audience and the band definitely responded

Re: Re: Let's agree 2 disagree... Vertigo was the Best And Worst tour U2's done yet...

amerrydeath said:

:eyebrow: :no:

I do agree about the rambling and the transitions though, and I think the tour lacked a lot of spontaneity. It's annoying hearing Bono go "wow" after every Streets performance, hearing the same speech over and over again... a lot of people DO attend more than one concert, and I think U2 knows that. Everything this tour seemed to be very rehearsed; it lacked some passion at times, and Bono is definitely down on the energy scale, although Edge and Adam are definitely not.

I think the lack of spontaneity really was obvious on the third leg as opposed to the first and second, however. Excluding the Toronto and Chicago shows in the beginning.

Come on...they are not catering to those that go to more than one concert; that comment is a bit selfish. OF COURSE the tour is rehearsed and when you look at the number of songs played over the course of the entire length of the tour; the fact that they ARE able to sound so good playing such a variety of songs really is incredible!!

Keep in mind that people waiting and waiting for U2 to finally make to their city like in Mexico, etc were looking forward to hearing Vertigo and City and the other "rehearsed" songs. This is on top of the fact that the response to some of the older songs were received poorly. Why WOULD they try to be spontanious in those cities? They cater to the paying audience which is what they should do. In Mexico City...they get mostly a standard set...in Boston they get Bad and Crumbs and Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, etc.

Streets from Boston is by far NOT not the best version of the song, Slane is (in terms of what was released on video),

As someone who has seen both versions of the Vertigo tour (Stadium and Arena) I think that those who say the Pride-Streets transition and Vertigox2 in a stadium were two of the best points of the tour for me, the Pride-Streets Transition didnt really work well in the maojority of arenas.

Highlights: The difference between Europe and USA last summer.

What I said above.

The VARIETY of closers.

The return of Zoo Station, The Electric Co, RTST and others

EVERYONE I spoke to at the end of a stadium gig were convinced that they had just seen the best show of the tour, both 4th leg and 2nd leg. (that can be seen in this forum;) )

Low Points: Lack of POP/Zooropa

No Acrobat(well that wasnt expected so that might be unfair)

i still dont understand people who say this show lacks spontaneity, people do remember ZooTv and Popmart right? probabley the 2 most scripted, static setlist tours of U2's career, and bono lacking energy? maybe this is because of his back problem? but from what i have heard he has even been running around the ellipse again during the third leg, TWICE,

each to there own

theu2fly said:
-=-=-=-=[BEST BITS OF THE VERTIGO TOUR]=-=-=-=-

3. The Electric Co / An Cat Dubh - Into The Heart / Gloria / The Ocean -- Classic songs from U2's vintage years, destined never to see the light of day ever again. As U2 played them, they showed signs of a band not aging, but remerging with a strong sense of confidence.

-=-=-=-=[CONS OF THE VERTIGO TOUR]=-=-=-=-

3. Poor reception to older songs. Come on, people standing still during Electric Co? You know U2 wrote these songs... don't you? It's off an album called BOY, yeah it had I Will Follow, but it also had great songs on it to, maybe you should have spent that $50 instead of tickets and bought the first three albums.

6. Soundchecked songs, but never performed... or rarely. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, MOFO, Crumbs From Your Table, Spanish Eyes, Love Is Blindness, One Step Closer -- all great songs. MOFO was the most spectulated song, that many fans wanted to see performed, but never found its way. Crumbs was performed a few single number of times, I was fortunate to see the song. Spanish Eyes was rehearsed for Spain, but cut. Love Is Blindness was due for a full performance in Buenos Aires. One Step Closer was rehearsed in Toronto before the tour began.

I like how you have Electric Co as a pro and a con? :huh: I'm not sure which Vertigo shows you attended but the crowd was into Electric Co at most of the shows I was at. The old song that was cool that I thought killed the momentum and the crowd was An Cat Dubh. Love the song, but it didnt work in the setlist and a slow song 80% of the crowd isnt familiar with will kill any momentum the show has.

Regarding soundchecked songs. ONE STEP CLOSER was not worked on. That has been pointed out on numerous threads on this very topic previously. They work on songs on every single tour though that never see the light of day at a show. So that is nothing specific to the Vertigo Tour. So thats not a con that is specific to Vertigo, thats every single tour.

The only con I really agree with is the Pride/Streets transition. I dont think that worked very well. It wasnt awful but I think they could have paced that portion (the set in stone portion) of the setlist differently.

and whos to say LIB was even due to be played in full :|, just because they done a quick snippet ala love rescue me in brazil, means nothing

by the sounds of it from what i heard on some audio, and what people at the show said, bono just started singing a few lines, then the rest added a little bit,

Re: Re: Let's agree 2 disagree... Vertigo was the Best And Worst tour U2's done yet...

amerrydeath said:

It's annoying hearing Bono go "wow" after every Streets performance, hearing the same speech over and over again...

I had no problem with "familiar" speeches and stories - its what I expect when I see a lot of shows from the same tour. But I must admit the "Wows" in the same spots got under my skin.

The best parts of the Vertigo Tour were how surprisingly awesome COBL, OOTS and LAPOE sounded live.

Edge's guitar solo during LAPOE turned out to be the highlight of the tour for me, even overtaking the Pride-Streets transition, which I thought was great.

LAPOE opening San Jose 2, with the jet fighter sounds blasting on the PA as the guys walked around the ellipse shining the spotlights into the crowd = magic.

The only cons were the four tunes that I'm tired of hearing:

WOWY, NYD, One and BTBS

I know, new fans need to hear these songs, I understand. I just hope the next album has loads of good numbers that will force the removal of these great, but stale, classics.

Last edited:
Pros not mentioned;
The First Time and Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses

Cons
Where was Stay?

Considering that most bands around for 25 years turn into nostalgia shows I thought this tour was outstanding in both content and performance.

I and I in the said:
Also Fast Cars was/is a pleasent surprise.

Yeah, good point, Fast Cars was also great.

Too bad they didn't include it on the North American version of HTDAAB, they might have otherwise played it a lot more here.

theu2fly said:
=-=-=-=[CONS OF THE VERTIGO TOUR]=-=-=-=-

1. No Solid closer -- a constant problem, but makes for a good guessing game, and can piss off anyone. It feels much like the POPMART tour, we've seen our share of closers, such songs as Vertigo, Bad, With Or Without You, 40, All I Want Is You -- yet not a single one could stay as the closer. Maybe perhaps this is the reason why U2 chose Vertigo again, had they found themselves in a fickle?

2. Transitions... Most arguably, amongst all U2 fans, is the transition of Pride into Where The Streets Have No Name -- comparitively weak, and lacks that punch, or emotional thrust you crave. With Bad, during the Elevation tour, Streets reached a new height, and to this day, Streets live from Boston 01 is considered the best Streets to date.

4. Rambling, and Africa. Forgive me, but while Bono talks about the conditions in Africa, others, including members of the band check their pulse. Though it's passionate, it may not be the right place for it, but advertising pays in America. Bono said those exact words in 2001. And what was up with all the African flags during Streets? Perhaps the next tour will feature red, house lights and a new surprise to it.

1.Tell me how this is a Con?, Bono said at the start of the tour that there would be "no standard setlist", while we knew that wouldnt be the case...No standard closer was a great idea.

2.100% Agree, Pride/Streets/One are all Great songs, but that flow doesnt work

4. Agree, We all know that its important it just gets too long and its all the good/right thing to do, it just does not fit into the middle of a rock show.

Good post.

Re: Re: Re: Let's agree 2 disagree... Vertigo was the Best And Worst tour U2's done y

boston2012 said:

Come on...they are not catering to those that go to more than one concert; that comment is a bit selfish. OF COURSE the tour is rehearsed and when you look at the number of songs played over the course of the entire length of the tour; the fact that they ARE able to sound so good playing such a variety of songs really is incredible!!

Keep in mind that people waiting and waiting for U2 to finally make to their city like in Mexico, etc were looking forward to hearing Vertigo and City and the other "rehearsed" songs. This is on top of the fact that the response to some of the older songs were received poorly. Why WOULD they try to be spontanious in those cities? They cater to the paying audience which is what they should do. In Mexico City...they get mostly a standard set...in Boston they get Bad and Crumbs and Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, etc.

It's not selfish, it's the truth. I talk to people at shows and tons of the people I meet in GA lines have been to another show, as well as the people in seats.

I'm not saying I attended any of the previous tours, but when I listen to the bootlegs, even from day to day the performances seem to vary a lot in terms of the connection the band makes with the audience. Bono doesn't say the exact. same. thing. night after night. I've noticed that during those tours that while the setlist may have been static, the attitude certainly was not.

And yes, I agree that the first leg was a lot more wonderfully spontaneous than the third. I think there is a huge difference between, say, Boston 5/26 and 5/28, but nearly no difference between 10/3 and 10/4. It was surprising to me attending those shows and seeing such a different band--in May it was a celebratory, happy band that connected so much with the audience, but in October they just seemed tired of what they were doing.

I'm not saying they should do the show off the top of their heads, but it's nice to hear them do things like what they did in Santiago with the Jean Genie thing. I just watched the Santiago and Buenos Aires DVDs and there is an IMMENSE difference to me in the band's attitude between the two shows. In Buenos Aires they seem tired, bored, and unresponsive to the audience, while in Santiago there's so much more relaxation.

I think it's evident on the DVDs of the past tours, as well--I was watching Boston the other day and the interaction with the crowd was amazing during Bad and Streets. Bono had so much more energy, wasn't reading from a teleprompter (or wasn't making it painfully obvious), and was smiling a lot more than I saw at my last show in Hartford.

ETA: I have no setlist qualms, I'm simply reflecting on the band's attitude (especially Bono's, as he has been the visual focus of their performances in the past--he's supplied the raw energy, bouncing around and singing his lungs out).

Last edited:
I went to 5 shows this tour and since I have no prior U2 concerts to compare to, each show was a fantastic experience. None of the 5 shows had the same setlist and we caught Bad as the closer in Las Vegas. Though someone brought up a good point, there was great energy and a sense of danger in the first leg of the tour. This was evident at the Anaheim shows I attended. The band was still working out the kinks and getting comfortable with the new material. The third leg shows were great but by this point they seemed much more comfortable.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Let's agree 2 disagree... Vertigo was the Best And Worst tour U2's done y

amerrydeath said:

It's not selfish, it's the truth. I talk to people at shows and tons of the people I meet in GA lines have been to another show, as well as the people in seats.

I'm not saying I attended any of the previous tours, but when I listen to the bootlegs, even from day to day the performances seem to vary a lot in terms of the connection the band makes with the audience. Bono doesn't say the exact. same. thing. night after night. I've noticed that during those tours that while the setlist may have been static, the attitude certainly was not.

And yes, I agree that the first leg was a lot more wonderfully spontaneous than the third. I think there is a huge difference between, say, Boston 5/26 and 5/28, but nearly no difference between 10/3 and 10/4. It was surprising to me attending those shows and seeing such a different band--in May it was a celebratory, happy band that connected so much with the audience, but in October they just seemed tired of what they were doing.

I'm not saying they should do the show off the top of their heads, but it's nice to hear them do things like what they did in Santiago with the Jean Genie thing. I just watched the Santiago and Buenos Aires DVDs and there is an IMMENSE difference to me in the band's attitude between the two shows. In Buenos Aires they seem tired, bored, and unresponsive to the audience, while in Santiago there's so much more relaxation.

I think it's evident on the DVDs of the past tours, as well--I was watching Boston the other day and the interaction with the crowd was amazing during Bad and Streets. Bono had so much more energy, wasn't reading from a teleprompter (or wasn't making it painfully obvious), and was smiling a lot more than I saw at my last show in Hartford.

ETA: I have no setlist qualms, I'm simply reflecting on the band's attitude (especially Bono's, as he has been the visual focus of their performances in the past--he's supplied the raw energy, bouncing around and singing his lungs out).
its pretty obvious that the band knew that night the tour would be postponed, so obviously that would have been playing on there minds, but when watching BA, i see them still having fun, adam, wow, putting his bass into the crowd, and am pretty sure i even seen him doing a little jump, and you mean the sao paulo DVD? i dont belive there is one of santigo,

and your comments re other tours, bono used to say the same thing during say EBTTRT during ZooTv the "you havent come all the way out here to watch TV now" etc, and imo the band this tour are alot more confident and having alot more fun than they did during elevation, those shows to me they always seemed quite "stiff", adam hardly moved, and to me when bono spoke he always seemed quite nervous

and also you mention you enjoyed the danger of the 1st leg, yes thats all very well, but what about the person next to you going to see the band for the first time? and the band try something and it dosent quite "go off" they will walk away thinking what all the hype was about.

just my opinion

Last edited:
This is going to sound weird, coming from an avowed "Pop" basher, but I was disappointed they didn't play songs like 'Please' or 'Gone' and even 'MOFO' would have been great to hear.

I think sometimes U2 removes certain eras from their career unnecessarily. Oh, I also missed 'Stay' too!

Other than that it was pretty damn good show and tour.

I didn't miss Stay, I never thought it sounded that good live. The only negative point about this tour that I agree with here is the Pride -> Streets transition, but other than that I think that this is my favorite U2 tour thus far.

theu2fly said:
4. Discotheque -- perhaps the song that U2 wanted to perform, but was afraid to during Elevation, due to poor reception. U2 played Discotheque 2 times, and both times they were excellent versions. A revamped version of Discotheque made fans ponder, if Pop material was ever to be heard from again. But perhaps U2 was taking a cue from the Killers, and Bravery? Discotheque was performed more as a funk dance rock, rather than electronic and it sounded fresh and sounded like the future.

i don't exactly know how a song that was played twice can be considered a highlight of the overall tour, but ok.

agreed... the streets transition didn't have the goosebumpily amazing quality... the song it's self was still great, but that opening was missing.

most certainly.

5. Songs that were cut up, to be performed live. Miracle Drug, Yahweh, Original Of The Species -- these songs still haven't been figured out how to be played live correctly. Miracle Drug feels rushed, but has a lot of potential. Yahweh would have been the closer for this tour, but instead found an acoustic path, and Original still hasn't been played the band wants it to. They'll get it right next tour.

original of the species, yes... they had trouble figuring out how to play it ever since the brooklyn bridge show. but yahweh and miracle drug were played the same way throughout the entire song... and yahweh was soooo much better live acoustic than on CD.

Back
Top Bottom