Last Time U2 Cancelled Scheduled Concerts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Numb1075

ONE love, blood, life
Quick question....

Can someone tell me why U2 cancelled a few shows in Sydney in the late 80s?

How many shows were cancelled?
Why were they cancelled?
Were they ever made up?

All info is appreciated.

I ask because I just read about this today. I knew of the "adam incident" in Australia back during Zoo TV, but was unaware of actual cancellations in a previous tour.

Thanks.

In 1989 U2 had to postpone (not cancel) three shows in Sydney since Bono had a throat infection. They were originally to take place in mid-October or so, but were rescheduled for mid-November.

:)

Not in Sydney! :happy:

But a concert in Raleigh (on the first leg of the Popmart Tour) was indeed cancelled because the screen was broken. A couple of days earlier it had to sustain a torrential rain in Washington and the rain won.
Then again, that concert was a very slow seller, so I guess they weren't too worried about it.

Portland 1992 was cancelled and moved to tacoma..I know because I had propaganda tickets for this show

Popmartijn said:

But a concert in Raleigh (on the first leg of the Popmart Tour) was indeed cancelled because the screen was broken. A couple of days earlier it had to sustain a torrential rain in Washington and the rain won.
Then again, that concert was a very slow seller, so I guess they weren't too worried about it.

Yep, we here in DC apparently don't take good care of the boys. If I have my facts straight, DC is also the city in which Bono broke his arm in the 80s, leading him to ask "Will you catch me if I fall?" at the DC ZooTV show.

We did them good this time & I'll make sure we take good care of them next time around, too. :wink:

The_acrobat said:
Also, wasn't the 11/19/97 Indianapolis concert cancelled?

I don't know about this one. While there was no U2 concert in Indianapolis on 19 November 1997, I can't find out if there was one put on sale at all. I guess not, so it doesn't really qualify as a cancellation in my book.

And Utoo, you have your facts nearly straight. While Bono didn't break his arm when he slipped on a wet stage during Exit, he did dislocate his shoulder.

The November 19, 1997 Indianapolis concert was indeed cancelled. If memory serves me correct that date was included on the Propaganda ticket order form we got in February 1997. I don't remember anything about the public sale details, but I believe the concert was cancelled well after February 97.

There are also whole series of shows that were in the planning stages, but never officially announced, where the band elected to not go through with them. These include the entire July-August 2002 European stadium tour, the January 2002 South American shows, the November-December 2001 Australia and Japan shows, the December 2000 promo show at the House of Blues in West Hollywood, CA, the Hawaii, Southeast Asia, New Zealand and Egypt shows considered for Popmart, the December 1987 Buenos Aires dates intended to be The Joshua Tree finale instead of Tempe and multiple others.

These are different of course, because they were only planned, not announced and sold.

The 2001 Australia shows were announced enough that I knew about it, and then being mightly pissed off when they cancelled it. And according to my memory, sad though it is:wink: I remember it happening after Sept 11.

The_acrobat said:
Also, wasn't the 11/19/97 Indianapolis concert cancelled?

It was tentatively planned but never transpired obviously. Apparantly it was cancelled by the venue itself from what I have heard. They decided they didnt have the turn around time needed to get the facility ready for a Colts game because they had just installed a new artificial surface for football games. This was the reason that was given anyway. Could have been that they reassessed how the show would have sold after the way initial ticket sales went for Popmart in alot of other secondary markets. :shrug:

I would add that I only consider a show cancelled/postponed if it was officially announced and/or tickets were put on sale. So Indy would not qualify under that criteria. But intially they were planning to play there on Popmart. Its interesting though that they skipped Indy for the Vertigo tour.

The second Philly show for Popmart at Franklin Field was also cancelled. My Propoganda form with money order was returned to me.

eherncane said:
The second Philly show for Popmart at Franklin Field was also cancelled. My Propoganda form with money order was returned to me.

Ah, I forgot about that one. The "official" reason for that one was so they could take part in the Free Tibet show. The real reason was most likely poor ticket sales.

U2 cancelled the second and third nights in December 1989 in Amsterdam after Bono's voice gave out the first night. The band did come back to Holland to accomodate ticket holders the following month, but had to play in a smaller venue and in a different city.

Halup said:
There are also whole series of shows that were in the planning stages, but never officially announced, where the band elected to not go through with them. These include the entire July-August 2002 European stadium tour, the January 2002 South American shows, the November-December 2001 Australia and Japan shows, the December 2000 promo show at the House of Blues in West Hollywood, CA, the Hawaii, Southeast Asia, New Zealand and Egypt shows considered for Popmart, the December 1987 Buenos Aires dates intended to be The Joshua Tree finale instead of Tempe and multiple others.

:ohmy: Egypt show? Man, that would've been cool. Tel Aviv was absolutely INCREDIBLE, just listening to the boot!

I wonder why they've never played in Russia?

usamilo said:
U2 cancelled the second and third nights in December 1989 in Amsterdam after Bono's voice gave out the first night. The band did come back to Holland to accomodate ticket holders the following month, but had to play in a smaller venue and in a different city.

And those shows were the climax of Love Town.
They did play a smaller venue, but played an extra date if I'm not mistaking. The Ahoy' hall in Rotterdam has more atmosphere than the RAI expo hall in Amsterdam.

I can't really imagine why the first Amsterdam show was canceled, because Bono's voice didn't sound that bad at all.

One of the replacement shows in Rotterdam has the well known "While we're at it, you're all f*king heroes of mine" speech in it.

Anyone remember them announcing that there would be a "major" US show to be added to the 3rd leg of the Elevation tour?

They later claimed it was the Providence show on Larry's birthday.

The March 1st 2005 Miami date was cancelled postponed, even though McGuinness denies ever issuing a press release.

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:
Anyone remember them announcing that there would be a "major" US show to be added to the 3rd leg of the Elevation tour?

They later claimed it was the Providence show on Larry's birthday.

The March 1st 2005 Miami date was cancelled postponed, even though McGuinness denies ever issuing a press release.

u2fp

I thought that was a reference to the South Bend show on the campus of Notre Dame. The show was a web cast and the school's nickname is the Fightin Irish.

Blue Room said:

But intially they were planning to play there on Popmart. Its interesting though that they skipped Indy for the Vertigo tour.

:sad: U2 must hate me.

At least they came here during Elevation, on Bono's birthday at that.

kennerado said:
I think during the 1st leg of Lovetown, there was an 8th Melbourne show planned but they never went through with it.

Plus a fifth show in Dublin (scheduled for the 29th of December). Neither of the two were ever put on sale.

There were rumoured dates for the full month of March(2005)

I think the west coast dates(san diego-vancouver)were the original rumoured dates.

I think I remember there was a 2nd detroit show on elavation - but it went to Montreal instead.

u2fp

Popmartijn said:

yep, and I had 3rd row tickets to this show...

first and only time they have been to my hometown since the War Tour, and they cancel.

amerrydeath said:

:ohmy: Egypt show? Man, that would've been cool. Tel Aviv was absolutely INCREDIBLE, just listening to the boot!

I wonder why they've never played in Russia?

Its my theory that U2 and Paul McGuiness in particular hasn't quit realized that the wall came down in 1989 and that there other markets these days beside America, Western Europe and occasionally the pacific rim.

U2FanPeter said:
U2 were once rumoured to have been booked on SNL in 1992.

u2fp

that would've been amazing to see,

U2 and SNL both in their creative renassiances

Back
Top Bottom