Larry Mullens Email to U2.com Members

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah- Who gets this email? I'm only asking because I have never recieved an email from U2.com except for the one inmy mailbox with my access code...

U2RNO1 said:
While I appreciate that Larry took the time out of his busy schedule to address this situation, I still feel like I've been kicked in the nads.

Call me spoiled, a whiner, a complainer, a bitter bitch or whatever, but I'm one of those long-time, hardcore U2 fans who got shut out of tickets and I'm still pissed. I feel like the whole refund thing isn't really a viable option. All it does is shuts me out of future pre-sales which will most likely run a lot smoother. For the fan that lost out on tickets but wants to remain a member, this offers no consolation.

I think they should offer partial refunds for those who got screwed in this ticket fiasco, but still want to remain members of the club in the hopes that the problems will be resolved on the later legs of the tour.
yuo are a whiner,a complainer, a bitter bitch or whatever

partygirl33 said:
Yeah- Who gets this email? I'm only asking because I have never recieved an email from U2.com except for the one inmy mailbox with my access code...

I'm sure everyone will get this. I just got it. It wasn't in my inbox this morning but its there now.

Larry, if you're reading this, thanks for taking the time to respond, and ditto on the two words to all those non-fan types! Well said and much appreciated! I'm still pissed that I couldn't get tickets, but that's really no fault of the Bands.

Can't wait until the fall dates are announced... It'll be a long lonely summer...

threwabrick said:

Yep, I did and it wasn't. Were you a previous Propaganda member? I am wondering if the letter was only sent to those folks.

It's honestly not an issue for me that I didn't get one, just curious.

I wasn't a Prop member and I've received every single U2.com email including this one.

Top man Larry!!

Might have been easier to sit back and let website or management handle this, so much respect to the man for doing that.

Didn't expect this at all. Now I wonder if they'll get the whole thing about the screwed up Prop database figured out. After weeks of haggling, I finally got my code emailed to me from that sbentley person, but I don't want to go through that headache again of having to try to prove I was a Prop subscriber yada yada yada to get priority for the fall....

threwabrick said:

Yep, I did and it wasn't. Were you a previous Propaganda member? I am wondering if the letter was only sent to those folks.

It's honestly not an issue for me that I didn't get one, just curious.

i've been a long time propaganda member, since 1987.

i haven't gotten the email either, at my gmail or u2.com

:shrug:

Usually Larry is the one who is the most serious... doesn't mince words that man. My friends and I used to say that he was the one who would be the enforcer in the band. That is really cool though that he actually responded... I don't know about you, but I think that this is what people wanted to see when they were left out in the rain during the presale. Aside from actually having tickets in your hand.

I don't know how much it helps the people who went through the $@#! for the 1st leg, but I'm at least a little more encouraged now waiting for the 3rd leg shows.

Monkey79 said:
Didn't expect this at all. Now I wonder if they'll get the whole thing about the screwed up Prop database figured out. After weeks of haggling, I finally got my code emailed to me from that sbentley person, but I don't want to go through that headache again of having to try to prove I was a Prop subscriber yada yada yada to get priority for the fall....

May I ask how you were finally able to get your code? I tried for awhile and I wasn't able to get mine. And I think once you have the code, you're in their database as a Prop member, so you don't have to worry about priority for the fall tickets. :)

Actually, if anyone who didn't get their code originally and somehow managed to get it could post or PM me to let me know how you got it, I'd be extremely grateful. I think it's fantastic that Larry sent out this email. I have so much respect for that man at this moment. And it's unexpectedly awesome that they're going to try to improve the ticketing for the fall. I think this is probably the best thing that could have been done in this situation, so I really hate to be negative...But I will be extremely sad and angry if I get screwed again with this like I did with the membership fee. Anyway, any info would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I wonder...if the fact that a band member actually does this...has changed ppls minds about this band "selling out" or being corporate slaves or what not

u2 fan till the day I die!

That was a classy thing to do. Apology accepted, by me anyway.

See- that's all I wanted- a member of the band to stand up, be angry, and say this was not right or acceptable, and it won't happen next time. Larry is a class act for showing he gives a damn about what happened and making it a personal statement.

U2 is still the best.

U2RNO1 said:
While I appreciate that Larry took the time out of his busy schedule to address this situation, I still feel like I've been kicked in the nads.

Call me spoiled, a whiner, a complainer, a bitter bitch or whatever, but I'm one of those long-time, hardcore U2 fans who got shut out of tickets and I'm still pissed. I feel like the whole refund thing isn't really a viable option. All it does is shuts me out of future pre-sales which will most likely run a lot smoother. For the fan that lost out on tickets but wants to remain a member, this offers no consolation.

I think they should offer partial refunds for those who got screwed in this ticket fiasco, but still want to remain members of the club in the hopes that the problems will be resolved on the later legs of the tour.

I agree with you.
it's a great jesture, and I'm sure Larry is appalled at the situtation. I never thought for a second that u2 were doing this on purpose to cheat the fans; I knew it was just that they (meaning everyone involved) didn't account for certain things, like the scalpers/ticket agents/seating chart changes/etc etc.

I think they're correcting the situation, and if anyone can do it, u2 can.
however, I didn't get tickets.
I can't use my code in the fall.
they're not issuing new codes.
meaning no presales for me.

which, I guess, in the end is fine with me; this is the first time I ever tried a fan club presale; when I used to wait on line for tickets, I always got them.

oh well.

*a fan since 1984*

larry mullens e-mail to U2.com members

Good for Larry for responding. Members of most other big bands would not have bothered. I think his PS was a little uncalled for. Many people had perfectly legitimate complaints, although maybe one or two went over the top.

Hallelujah Here She Comes said:

May I ask how you were finally able to get your code? I tried for awhile and I wasn't able to get mine. And I think once you have the code, you're in their database as a Prop member, so you don't have to worry about priority for the fall tickets. :)

Actually, if anyone who didn't get their code originally and somehow managed to get it could post or PM me to let me know how you got it, I'd be extremely grateful. I think it's fantastic that Larry sent out this email. I have so much respect for that man at this moment. And it's unexpectedly awesome that they're going to try to improve the ticketing for the fall. I think this is probably the best thing that could have been done in this situation, so I really hate to be negative...But I will be extremely sad and angry if I get screwed again with this like I did with the membership fee. Anyway, any info would be appreciated.

After about 5 phone calls and 8 or 9 emails to everyone I could possibly complain to (including all the emails of top executives @ signature networks) the person who resolved it for me was the sbentley person at signature networks. I think their email was posted on another thread here dealing with this or in the thread on EYKIW about the whole prop fiasco.

They got a code to me literally within a half hour of me writing to them and attaching all of the previous emails I had sent trying to resolve the issue. (The emails included all of my Prop information, code, date of last renewal, etc.)

Hawk269 said:
That was a classy thing to do. Apology accepted, by me anyway.

See- that's all I wanted- a member of the band to stand up, be angry, and say this was not right or acceptable, and it won't happen next time. Larry is a class act for showing he gives a damn about what happened and making it a personal statement.

U2 is still the best.
ditto

Re: larry mullens e-mail to U2.com members

zola said:
Good for Larry for responding. Members of most other big bands would not have bothered. I think his PS was a little uncalled for. Many people had perfectly legitimate complaints, although maybe one or two went over the top.

I don't think the PS was uncalled for at all. There is a big difference between launching legitimate complaints to the powers that be and immediately calling into question the bands integrity..the PS was directed at the people who did the latter. And there are plenty of them.

Re: Re: larry mullens e-mail to U2.com members

ramblin rose said:

I don't think the PS was uncalled for at all. There is a big difference between launching legitimate complaints to the powers that be and immediately calling into question the bands integrity..the PS was directed at the people who did the latter. And there are plenty of them.

Agree completely. Larry obviously agrees and understands people's frustration, it looks like he himself is angry at what happened. But some people went way over board, calling U2 sell-outs and swearing at them and all, before they even let them a chance to correct this situation.

I really, really appreciate that Larry took the time to talk to us directly. From the beginning the thing that was breaking my heart the most was the band's silence. This means everything to me, and I'm sure to most of us.

I think the Propaganda first is the best solution to stop scalpers for the 3rd leg, even if it will not be fair to everyone. I am myself a Propaganda member who didn't get the letter, but I agree with this anyway. However, I really hope they make sure there are enough good seats available for the next pre-sale, because that was the main problem, and hasn't been acknowledged by U2 or their representatives so far.

I love U2:)

I'm sure the guys will try to be as fair as possible with the next presale tickets. Just hope there are some GAs available for those of us who never had a chance to join Prop. Oh well, it'll be my first time seeing them live and I'd even settle for nosebleeds just for the chance to experience that!

beli said:
I am now in the process of figuring out a way of distributing the tickets for our intended return to North America in the fall. The only fair way of doing this, is to give U2 Propaganda members, who are now U2.com members, priority in the queue.

After that, people will be given priority in the order in which they joined. Many people who joined U2.com and didn't get tickets are understandably angry. They now have the option to get a full refund of their subscription fee.

OK, I love the fact that he's taking the time to deal with this, but how the fuck is it fair to penalize me for joining after most of the other U2.com members? I joined the Friday before the presale, for an opportunity to get those coveted premium tickets that were promised -- now I'm being told that because it took me until late January to decide to spend forty bucks for that opportunity, I'm somehow worth less than somebody who joined when U2.com was launched?

I can understand giving former Prop members priority -- that's about loyalty, and I think it's stupid that people who paid half of what I did get priority over me, but at least I can accept it. But by penalizing me for joining late, I'm virtually guarunteed jack shit.

I really hope that this isn't true.

So, no one thinks they`ll start with a clean slate and issue new codes for the fall? (Despite U2.com stating the contrary last week)

So they`ll have to sort those used their codes from those who didn`t and then arrange priority sequence. Well, I suppose they have enough time to figure this out, but I feel bad for those who used their codes and received nosebleeds.

Back
Top Bottom