Lame fans inside the Ellipse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another Day said:
If you're a single guy inside the Ellipse, you can get laid by a cute U2 chick easily, no prob. It's how I imagine Woodstock was back in '68, except without the bad acid and Sha-Na-Na as an opening act.

I didn't realize this. I'll have to remember the next time I give my email address to a male U2 fan that I'm an easy lay. :mad:

It's no wonder no one wants to be near you in the ellispe. What a shocker. You've got a really nice warm friendly and open attitude about other U2 fans. :eyebrow:

Thank you, we had a great time inside the Ellipse. Everyone was really happy just to be there, it was a really special weekend.

Hey Lisa, do you have GAs for the Tampa show? I have an extra one that I probably won't use, don't have time to go.

Do you want it?

Now that I've had a bit more time to process all of this, I like to jump around as much as the next fan. Especially during the fast U2 songs. My friends and I always warn people around us of this and apologize in advance if we accidentally bump into them or step on any toes. We try to becareful but accidents happen.

But we also respect those around us who do not jump around like fools. It's just common courtesy. I wouldn't knock them for not getting into the show. They paid their money to get in just like everyone else. They can enjoy the show however they want.

I agree, you should always warn everyone around you that you might jump around a bit, that's exactly what I did.

No thanks. I don't like GA and I already have good seats. Thanks for the offer. I'm sure you'll have no problem getting rid of them, though.

Another Day said:
Thank you, we had a great time inside the Ellipse. Everyone was really happy just to be there, it was a really special weekend.

Hey Lisa, do you have GAs for the Tampa show? I have an extra one that I probably won't use, don't have time to go.

Do you want it?

Yeah, seeing as how they're only doing one show there, that sucks.

Why don't you like GA?

Is it because of all the pogoing sweaty slobs rubbing up against you and asking for your email address all the time?

Something like that. I'm claustrophobic so I prefer my own place in the stands.

I hear you.

The only time I got claustrophobia at a U2 show was in Dec 1984 during the Unforgettable Fire Tour.

They played these little small arenas, all GA, tickets were $13.50.

Even back then, these 8-10,000 seaters sold out in one day.

The crowd was all youngsters 12 - 24, no old farts like me telling everyone to sit down.

Everyone was pushing up to the front, totally mashed in, it was scary. A couple of time my feet left the floor, so we finally decided to just chill and stand off to the sides.

The Waterboys opened and everyone booed them and threw stuff at them. The lead singer, who sounded like Neil Diamond, got all pissed at us and cussed us out. After that, they played with a lot of anger and sounded great. We cheered them off the stage.

Then, Bono comes out and says, "Did anyone here have a hard time getting tickets?"

A couple of kids tried to stage dive, but security caught them and threw them out.

Different times back then.

I remember that great Unforgettable Tour Another Day! I worked my way up pretty close to Adam! I was 16.

I'd be interested in your GA for Tampa. I'm an old (er) Tampanite who atill enjoys a good pogo. My e-mail is boru999@yahoo.com.

--Jeremiah

Last edited:
I have to agree with the "old farts" People like to enjoy the show in different ways just like people are different and enjoy different things. If I was them and I was enjoying the show so much and i had people like you beside me who are sweaty and jumping into me and esp my gf I would get pretty ticked off with you. As well who is to say that they cant be in the front just because they don't jump holler and act crazy> Agin i say that they are enjoying the show in their way like your enjoying yours so they have every right to be in the front. All i have to say is that I hope i don't have you beside me in vancouver show!

Xanadu,

Cool, you must be a big dude if you got all the way up to Adam during that tour. That was a Charles Darwin special.

They did an awesome version of "11 O'Clock Tick Tock", I remember, plus "Wire", which they never play anymore.

Sorry about that GA ticket, I was just kidding with Lisa, I didn't mean to turn you on.

The GA tickets for Tampa are impossible to get without mortgaging your house, I hear. Is that because of the anti-scalping laws in Florida? I see eBay only has a few Tampa GAs on sale.

It looks like people are selling you a U2 DVD for $200, then giving you the GA tickets for free. So much for those laws.

Hey dabigge,

Guess what? I have GAs for the Vancouver shows!!!

See you there, bud!

I have a question for you, though: Are you going to be one of those old farts that tries to tell everyone to sit down and be quiet so you can hear the band?

If you are, I hope you aren't near us. What a buzzkill.

Why don't you stay home and listen to your Joni Mitchell records instead, give your GAs to someone with passion and a pulse.

ok i dont post here much coz i dont agree with most things you " fans " go on about . But i will agree with what is being said here by original poster . I was at the OPENER and the people in the ellipse were as boring as f**K ! Now whether it was because u2 wasnt up to scratch which they WEREN'T ! - i have been a fan since WAR and have seen them 37 times by the way , and i own a collection which would put down a nice deposit on a house , blow my own trumpet ? yes i will , but it seems in the US that if you are over 45 , balding , but can blag tickets to a u2 coz you know someone , do it and fill the ellipse up .

Another Day said:
Xanadu,

Cool, you must be a big dude if you got all the way up to Adam during that tour. That was a Charles Darwin special.

They did an awesome version of "11 O'Clock Tick Tock", I remember, plus "Wire", which they never play anymore.

Sorry about that GA ticket, I was just kidding with Lisa, I didn't mean to turn you on.

Ah, the cruel days of high school. I got ditched at the UF show by my meathead friends so I worked my way up bit by bit, experiencing the majesty of my first U2 show all by myself. Turned out all the better! And yes, I recall that live "Wire." They did "Unforgettable Fire", too. Wow.

Yeah, Tampa tickets went quick. I came up with zilch for my hometown show. Flying to Seattle instead! No sweat though, I haven't given up hope yet.

I LOVE U2 I am A HUGE FAN of U@ AND I PAID ALOT OF MONEY FOR MY GA TCIKETS AND IF I WANT TO BE AN OLD FART AND ENJOY U2 THEN I WILL BE COS I PAID LIKE YOU DID.

on the other hand i am NOT one of those types of persons who telles everyone to shut up but if your always bumping into me and spilling bear (like some punk did in elevation) I WILL GET VERY PISSED! I did not pay that much money to have some punk jump up and down bumping and shoving into me and on top of that have their sweat go all over me. All i am saying is I am going to enjoy the show if you don't like the way i enjoy the show then may i suggest you get out of MY way since its YOU who has a problem with the way I enjoy the show. Cos let me tell you if i get 5 feet away from U2 I am sure as hell NOT ganna go because people like you don't want us to be there even if i am being an old fart I will still not leave the spot so i suggest you leave!

Another Day said:
Hey dabigge,

Guess what? I have GAs for the Vancouver shows!!!

See you there, bud!

I have a question for you, though: Are you going to be one of those old farts that tries to tell everyone to sit down and be quiet so you can hear the band?

If you are, I hope you aren't near us. What a buzzkill.

Why don't you stay home and listen to your Joni Mitchell records instead, give your GAs to someone with passion and a pulse.

Another Day said:

Capiche?

Man, you U2 fans here are SERIOUS!

Didn't win the lottery, did you.

With persons like "Another Day" -- it is a marked persuasion of why to trade in your GAs and sit with honest people of sound intellect. baffoon -- go read your prop.

out.

abombdismantler = genius

This is the voice of a TRUE U2 fan, not some poseur riding the iPod bandwagon.

Naturally, he is from London. Apparently, all you "sit down, shutup" old farts have never seen U2 in Europe.. it's a completely different experience.

If you tried telling a bunch of English yobs to stop pogoing during "Streets", you'd get a face full of beer in about two seconds. (Hey, I wish they'd play "Seconds" again, I love that song).

The crowds in Europe are AWESOME compared to most of these boring US crowds. Nearly everyone wears a U2 t-shirt of some sort, everyone knows the words to every single song, even in countries that don't speak much English, and, most importantly, EVERYONE near the front dances their asses off, pogoing like mad.

If you stand up front and DON'T pogo, you're liable to get sucked under and trampled by human vortex created by 10,000 people jumping up and down at the exact same time.

Even crazier are the crowds in South America. You should talk to someone who went to the PopMart shows in Sao Paolo or Rio, they'll tell you.

God Bless you, abomb, please don't judge us based on the burned out hippies standing there like statues in the Ellipse at these California shows.

Where are the MODS in here... this dude should be banned!

Another Day said:
abombdismantler = genius

This is the voice of a TRUE U2 fan, not some poseur riding the iPod bandwagon.

Naturally, he is from London. Apparently, all you "sit down, shutup" old farts have never seen U2 in Europe.. it's a completely different experience.

If you tried telling a bunch of English yobs to stop pogoing during "Streets", you'd get a face full of beer in about two seconds. (Hey, I wish they'd play "Seconds" again, I love that song).

The crowds in Europe are AWESOME compared to most of these boring US crowds. Nearly everyone wears a U2 t-shirt of some sort, everyone knows the words to every single song, even in countries that don't speak much English, and, most importantly, EVERYONE near the front dances their asses off, pogoing like mad.

If you stand up front and DON'T pogo, you're liable to get sucked under and trampled by human vortex created by 10,000 people jumping up and down at the exact same time.

Even crazier are the crowds in South America. You should talk to someone who went to the PopMart shows in Sao Paolo or Rio, they'll tell you.

God Bless you, abomb, please don't judge us based on the burned out hippies standing there like statues in the Ellipse at these California shows.

Aha, dabigge can't handle the give and take... such a shame.

This topic is getting record hits, bud, so I suggest if you can't hang, go check out the U2 Trading Pins section, maybe that'll calm your nerves a bit.

But aperantly you can't handle the fans who enjoy the show. You can only handle the hooligans oh but wait thats because your a hooligan. You are the type of person that totaly pisses me off in concerts. Let me guess your a 38 year old single guy who is perverted and a slob, who doesnt say thank you when somone opens the door for you, who cuts people off while driving and who tail gaits and a person who tries to pick up 2 year olds by asking for their numbers and or e-mail adresses. Your a pretrty sick guy and if you are beside me and act they way you do esp to my gf you better believe i am ganna punch you out!

And if you think this post is getting record hits man you havent been here long enought then. And on top of that look at what people are responding, most of them disagree with you.

Wake up to reality

"Wake Up" great intro song from Arcade Fire.

Now, what were you gibbering about? Me dating 2-year olds or something?

OK, you win. I can't argue against such trenchant analyses.

Just one request: Please don't "punch me out" when I brush against you in the Vancouver Ellipse.

If you "punch me out", then you will probably be "tossed out" by the Canadian Mounties, or whoever is running security up there.

That'll leave me, my buds and your 18-year old girlfriend all alone.... heh heh heh. We'll teach her how to pogo and dance and sing and yell and scream and how to let loose and have a great time.

She'll never forget it, it'll be the best concert she's ever attended.

You wouldn't want that, would you?

Wow, I dig violent chicks.

So do my buds.

We'd have a great time pogoing with her, getting rowdy in the Ellipse.

I'm sure Bono would be pleased to see a bunch of people having a good time dancing their hearts out in front of him, rather than a bunch of judgemental bores standing around worrying about their little 10 inches of floor space.

Hope you get in, tough guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom