kanye west opening for u2 .... why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
u2wedge said:

Kanye's comments were divisive and did not promote unity and that is the antithesis of a U2 show.

As far as I'm concerned he's right up there with Jesse Jackson.

You just don't play the race card in the middle of a benefit that is supposed to be collecting money to raise emergency funds.

He doesn't deserve to be on the stage as U2.

I suppose youre also boycotting CNN and every other major news outlet for providing commentary on what everyone in America is thinking, that maybe there are racial issues at play?

The OOTS said:

At least there is some instrumentation involved with country music....no matter how vile the genre is. :ohmy:

three letters:

K-OS

(and he's Canadian!!)

EDIT: Its VERY interesting to note where alot of the reasonable comments in this thread are coming from....big up Canucks!!

All you Canucks in here, who of you thinks K-OS should be opening, if any hip hop act? I think he's the best hip hop artist Canada has ever produced - diverse, instrumental, influenced by all genres of music, lyrically potent yet REAL hip hop...better than a good 90% of any American rapper for sure!

He gets my vote, I think he's a perfect opener!

Last edited:
thrillme said:

I want live, not someone rapping "live" over a backing track.

Okay Edge has the loops or whatever, but the drums are all Larry, the bass is all Adam.

I think it's Dr. Dre who has an actual bass player, Ice-T used to have an actual band.

Interesting comment.

U2 plays to backing tracks, and has had musicians playing behind the scenes.

There are drum parts that are not Larry. Example: With or Without You.

There are plenty of synth bass sounds that are not Adam. Examples: Beautiful Day, Until The End, Bad, WOWY, Sometimes, Mysterious Ways, Ultraviolet, and thats just to name the ones off the top of my head..

You can't reproduce what U2 does live with only 4 guys playing one simple part each. Its way more complex.

I personally feel the production in U2's music is WAY closer to the style of hip hop than straight ahead rock. Samples, loops, funky beats, backing tracks - gee, sounds like U2 to me lol..

gabrielvox said:

Kanye and alot of hip hop artists use full bands at their concerts, usually a 5 or more piece with one piece being a turntablist.

Just fyi.

usually bands made up of some of the best and most entertaining musicians on the planet.

There is a reason that Hip Hop and Rap are THE music forms right now.

gabrielvox said:
All you Canucks in here, who of you thinks K-OS should be opening, if any hip hop act? I think he's the best hip hop artist Canada has ever produced - diverse, instrumental, influenced by all genres of music, lyrically potent yet REAL hip hop...better than a good 90% of any American rapper for sure!

i'm with you on k-os, i think he's extremely talented. i just read a rumour that he might be opening for broken social scene :drool: which kinda makes sense, since he does perform on 'windsurfing nation'. it would make for a diverse crowd at the bss show that's for sure.

the fact that he's relatively unknown in the states is probably a drawback in terms of being asked to open for U2. and as for the canadian dates, i'm perfectly happy with the arcade fire opening the show i'll be attending. :up:

oh, and on-topic:

kanye's the MAN. :up:

For a moment, I thought that this nightmare had been confirmed...

But then it seems that it has not yet, so I can continue to live my day happily...

I posted this in previous threads, but I will post it again:

Kanye West =
tcf.jpg

Kayne West is good,I like Jesus Walks, and Heard another one of his songs on the radio downloading a few more tomorrow, he is a good rapper.

I heart this thread. :heart:

It has some of the most intellegent, thought out responses I've read in a long while. It's good to read people can appreciate other types of music.

Oh yeah, I like Kanye. And it's not just b/c he's a fellow southsider. :wink:

U2@NYC said:
For a moment, I thought that this nightmare had been confirmed...

But then it seems that it has not yet, so I can continue to live my day happily...

I posted this in previous threads, but I will post it again:

Kanye West =
tcf.jpg

lame.

hey gabriel, i couldn't agree with you more. k-os is amazing, flat out. easily one of the best canadian musicans i've ever heard.

and yes, i've realized that canadians in this thread once again seem to be making the most sense. why is it? i mean yeah, some others have made some good points, but canadians once again make a good name for themselves.

way to go. open-mindedness is a trademark canada strives for, nice to see it in action here. :up:

gabrielvox said:

And instead we're gonna get music for 15 year old masturbatory, pimply, upper middle class white boys.

Awesome! :|

gabrielvox said:

U2 plays to backing tracks, and has had musicians playing behind the scenes.

And don't forget the horns in Stuck, and all those soaring backing vocals in Beautiful Day.

And a minor confession: I like Nelly. :reject: I only have one single, but I like his voice. You may make fun of me now.

U2@NYC said:

As lame as your arguments supporting him.

oh come on. that's 7ust weak and you know it.

people have been coming out of the woodwork to agree with me, and you'd know that if you'd even read the thread for yourself.

it's one thing to not like hiphop, but for people to dismiss the genre as shit, then those people simply haven't a clue and shouldn't voice their opinion. ignorance isn't something to be proud of.

You guys won't agree. Some of you like rap music, some of you don't. It is as simple as that.

martha said:

And don't forget the horns in Stuck, and all those soaring backing vocals in Beautiful Day.

And a minor confession: I like Nelly. :reject: I only have one single, but I like his voice. You may make fun of me now.

Ok, I'll have to part with you on Nelly Martha lol

That's the type of rapper thats just spoiling it for everybody..but, I respect your taste, my son likes a few of his songs too, the edited ones I'll let him listen to...lol..

K-OS for opening act for U2!!!!

(ok, i must admit, I'm his cousin's best friend...and hung out with him a few times when we were younger...but that's besides the point, he still rocks!!)

Last edited:
Zoomerang96 said:

oh come on. that's 7ust weak and you know it.

people have been coming out of the woodwork to agree with me, and you'd know that if you'd even read the thread for yourself.

it's one thing to not like hiphop, but for people to dismiss the genre as shit, then those people simply haven't a clue and shouldn't voice their opinion. ignorance isn't something to be proud of.

I have listened to Kanye West. And I have listened to several hip hop rappers... in 95% of the cases, I hated them. I am not saying the genre is shit, I am just saying that, in my personal opinion, I would rather have anyone else but a rapper (and Kanye West in particular) opening a U2 show.

So do not come to me voicing that I am ignorant when all you have is a different opinion, as U2Man pointed out.

U2@NYC said:

I have listened to Kanye West. And I have listened to several hip hop rappers... in 95% of the cases, I hated them. I am not saying the genre is shit, I am just saying that, in my personal opinion, I would rather have anyone else but a rapper (and Kanye West in particular) opening a U2 show.

So do not come to me voicing that I am ignorant when all you have is a different opinion, as U2Man pointed out.

Hey, did you catch R. Kelly's performance at the VMA's, it was one for the record books? You must catch it on one of the reruns you won't be sorry.:hyper:

ramblin rose said:

Hey, did you catch R. Kelly's performance at the VMA's, it was one for the record books? You must catch it on one of the reruns you won't be sorry.:hyper:

I missed it. how could I? :banghead:

Anyone remember when Public Enemy opened up for them during ZOO. It wasn't too bad. At least it gives you time to mingle and drink beer.

hehehhe

ramblin rose said:

R Kelly = :down: :shame:

I have no use for people of that character, no matter how much I liked his stuff with Public Announcement and early solo stuff.

gabrielvox said:

R Kelly = :down: :shame:

I have no use for people of that character, no matter how much I liked his stuff with Public Announcement and early solo stuff.

Gabriel, we are being ironic... R. Kelly's latest stuff and 5-video 'saga' has been the mockery of every setlist party...

I think Coldplay, Green Day, Kanye West, and (P)Diddy should all open. Now THAT would spark some fires on the forum! :wink:

This has been a pretty piss poor thread imo (ooh alliteration)

However I like Kanye West and find him to be a force for good within the Hip Hop community the majority of which is currently regurgitating the themes that are responsible for my dislike of 80's Hair Metal, Kanye seems to have an interest in serious issues and understands music can influence peoples opinions although his outburst on that certain relief show is something that reeks of trying to rekindle an archaic argument akin to myself going on about how the British have mistreated Irish people in the past, all in all I'm happy enough if he opens, there are so many worse acts that could be brought in as openers other than Mr. West...........

Back
Top Bottom