kanye west opening for u2 .... why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
haha, i saw that! she was hysterical.

but of course, she's white...

BUT CANADIAN!!!!!! a pinko-commie!

so i guess i'm sort of surprised then that they didn't attack her more.

ah well, kanye's easy enough isn't he?

anitram said:
I love how everyone's jumping on the black man pointing out the fact when Celine Dion had an equally large as a meltdown during which she not only blasted the inadequacy of the hurricane response but ranted about Americans going to kill people overseas.

Yet the media only publicizes one of the two. Cuz God forbid anybody suggested Celine was militant.

I didn't even hear about Celine's rant. Guess it's not as good of a story. :huh:

...hey.... maybe she could open for U2! :D

Indra, I can get you a link, my dear. It's absolutely worth it (hilarious!).

martha said:

I suspect Kanye may have a better grasp of the situation that you might think he does.

I wasn't saying that he has no grasp of the situation. But he does not have a full grasp of the situation (and for that matter none if any do re: NO). But to make baseless comments such as "George Bush doesn't care about black people" is a fairly inflamitory thing to do. Instead saying "George Bush is an elitest who doesn't give a shit about people below the poverty line, many of whom are my black brothers & sisters" etc would have made the same points re: Bushes disregard for a large portion of Americans - without portraying himself as a racial extremist.

He seems a smart chap, he may well have misworded what he wanted to say and it came out wrong - his speech was a bit disjointed from what I hear. But quite honestly there is a much more convincing case for Bush being an elitest rather than a racist.

Last edited:
anitram said:
Indra, I can get you a link, my dear. It's absolutely worth it (hilarious!).

Thanks! I appreciate it.

Unfortunately, I can't get the media player thingie to work with what I have and have to run an update on my antiquated piece of crap. :angry: (Of course, given that so many have lost so much it seems really petty to be complaining about this....)

I did read that Dion has donated $1 million (not sure if that's US or Canadian :) ) but it's a nice chunk of change, so kudos to her also! :applaud:

The OOTS said:
Of course, they could announce a country band to open. What would the responses on this board be then?

Didn't they though?, well it was U2, but they were in disguise as the Daltons.

Hehehe man I would've liked to see that, knowing it's U2, and seeing how people who don't know react!

++++++++

I like some hip hop and rap, but live?

Some rappers actually have live musicians, some don't. I want live, not someone rapping "live" over a backing track.

Okay Edge has the loops or whatever, but the drums are all Larry, the bass is all Adam.

I think it's Dr. Dre who has an actual bass player, Ice-T used to have an actual band.

Actually I'd like to see Bloc Party open on the day I go, but doubt that's gonna happen.

I can't believe some of the comments on this thread, it would be funny if people weren't obviously taking things far too seriously. Its like when someone famous dares to say they don't like U2 or take the pi$$ out of them in some way and we end up with a 10 page thread where we just slag them off and call them names.

And this thread just takes the biscuit for generalisations and some really ignorant opinions about music.

Sorry, but this place is going downhill. I've not posted much but I've been a lurker under a few usernames over a long enough time to remember when it wasn't like this,

martha said:
:rolleyes:

As much as I would love to see Kanye West open for one of the shows I'm going to see, I hope he doesn't. It'll be Prince opening for the Stones all over again, with narrow-minded idiots booing off the stage a musician who pushes boundaries.

Oh, they're thrilled to see the likes of No Doubt open, a cookie-cutter band with nil talent, but a more adventurous choice, like Kanye West or Kings of Leon? Nope, we wouldn't want to listen to something new at all.

In reality, I think Kanye West is too big a star to be an opening act.

Great point, Martha. I get really annoyed by people who won't give something "different" a chance. What's made me continue listening to U2 for well over half my life has been that they keep pushing their own musical boundaries. I'd be disappointed if they didn't select opening acts who did the same.

The bottom line: if you don't want to see the opening act, just come late. Let others enjoy them if they want to. Don't keep moaning and groaning and saying the same things over and over again on the forums. Don't stand or sit at a show and talk and boo, because people around you might actually want to listen.

BonoIsMyMuse said:

Great point, Martha. I get really annoyed by people who won't give something "different" a chance. What's made me continue listening to U2 for well over half my life has been that they keep pushing their own musical boundaries. I'd be disappointed if they didn't select opening acts who did the same.

The bottom line: if you don't want to see the opening act, just come late. Let others enjoy them if they want to. Don't keep moaning and groaning and saying the same things over and over again on the forums. Don't stand or sit at a show and talk and boo, because people around you might actually want to listen.

Or, perhaps the 'musically open-minded' people could be more open minded to the fact that some people don't enjoy other genres of music. People formulate their own opinions. There is nothing wrong with that.

This board is very hypocritical. Go read the Coldplay threads. Those are some of the nastiest and childish threads on this board.

Last edited:
The only thing I thought funny about it was how theatrical she was at wiping her tears away. It fit right in with her other hand gestures, as she's always theatrical.

But that whole Larry King thing was just kind of odd ... bless her heart for being so upset and sincere, but why did he make her sing? That was just weird.

Larry King just bugs the shit out of me.

The OOTS said:

Or, perhaps the 'musically open-minded' people could be more open minded to the fact that some people don't enjoy other genres of music. People formulate their own opinions. There is nothing wrong with that.

Of course not. You should read what I say about Keane. :D

But to consistently and categorically criticize an entire genre of music with dismissive and ignorant language is narrow-minded and betrays a lack of appreciation for music in general.

The OOTS said:

This board is very hypocritical. Go read the Coldplay threads. Those are some of the nastiest and childish threads on this board.

I don't post in the millions of Coldplay threads for a very good reason. But notice that rather than post my negative opinions of the band, I keep them to myself. No one wants to read another negative post about a band.

martha said:

I don't post in the millions of Coldplay threads for a very good reason. But notice that rather than post my negative opinions of the band, I keep them to myself. No one wants to read another negative post about a band.

Sure, but feel free to slam No Doubt and Keane...whom many people on this board have said that they enjoy.

:ohmy:

martha said:

But to consistently and categorically criticize an entire genre of music with dismissive and ignorant language is narrow-minded and betrays a lack of appreciation for music in general.

Exactly. Of course you can dislike Kanye West, but to wipe out a whole genre of music in one blow is just showing ignorance, and I suspect only a knowledge of hip hop based on what you hear on commercial radio, and based on an image you have in your head of what a hip hop fan is, what hip hop music is, what a hip hop performer is. The depth and differences you can find in hip hop across the whole genre are at LEAST as wide as the difference between, say, Travis and Nine Inch Nails, between Neil Finn and the Red Hot Chili Peppers etc and is made for and from and will reflect the culture and environment of a place like Japan or Brazil as much as it will some d*ckhead 'gangsta' from LA. Sure though, I can understand tuning into the radio and hearing Nelly, then Jay Z, then Snoop Dogg or something and thinking "Good lord save me from this crap" just as I can understand someone tuning in and hearing Coldplay followed by Keane followed by Good Charlotte and thinking "F*ck rock sucks a*se". I would just say to both people, there's a hell of a lot more out there, and as with most or all genres of music, what you are getting on the radio is pretty much the worst of it. Good Charlotte is to rock as Nelly is to hip hop.

So after a self imposed break from interference, I managed to stumble into another thread that has exactly developed in a way that makes me need breaks.

Can we get a section that has an age minimum on it?

Zoomerang and Indra...love what you have done in here. Brilliant posts...especially you Zoo..

cmb737 said:
So after a self imposed break from interference, I managed to stumble into another thread that has exactly developed in a way that makes me need breaks.

Can we get a section that has an age minimum on it?

Zoomerang and Indra...love what you have done in here. Brilliant posts...especially you Zoo..

hey, thanks a lot. nice to hear that.

some people in this thread should hang their head low, and feel embarassed at how pathetic they've sounded.

oh, and axver, i suppose i DID make some sense afterall? imagine that.

George Bush doesn't care about black people!!
hahaha
that was the funniest shit i have ever heard and celine dion hahah i hope no one took her seriously haha that shit was just too funny hahah oh man!!:nerd:

financeguy said:

Well said, you tell it like it is. :up:

Some people seem to have forgotten Bono calling Chirac a wanker some years ago (live on TV I might add) plus he said something not very nice about Paul Martin recently I believe.

The idea that Bono is some nice soft cuddly diplomat, whereas Kanye West by contrast is some kind of rabble rouser, is absolute and utter bollocks.

Fuck's sake, songs like Bullet the Blue Sky and Red Hill Mining Town are absolutely EXCORIATING towards Reaganite and Thatcherite policies. If people on here don't see that, then frankly they don't have a fucking clue about U2's music. It's that simple.

:yes:

The OOTS said:
I don't want Kanye to open, not because of his music and message, but because I'd rather see a rock show. I want a BAND to open, someone who plays instruments, guitars, drums, not someone who raps over some beats. If I wanted that, I'd go see a hip hop show.

Kanye and alot of hip hop artists use full bands at their concerts, usually a 5 or more piece with one piece being a turntablist.

Just fyi.

Back
Top Bottom