kanye west opening for u2 .... why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Axver said:

I can't decide what's worse, country or rap.

Wait, I've occasionally enjoyed a few songs by country stars (as in I can count the total on one hand). Rap just grates and I'm yet to hear any that's actually pleasant to listen to. I'd take the country band.

Shame most of the bands I'd actually like to see open for U2 are no longer active. But Crowded House/U2, what a show that would be ...! :drool:

At least there is some instrumentation involved with country music....no matter how vile the genre is. :ohmy:

indra said:
Bono's allowed, don't you know. He is after all, god. Or at least thinks he is. :wink:

He's white. That's the difference. Really, when we break it down, that's what the issue is about.

Flame away, Kanye haters.

Zoomerang96 said:
some of you people have absolutely no idea what's good out there outside your predictably favourite "rock" genre.

and even then many of you think the only good bands out there outside u2 are coldplay and the killers.

Wow, nice way to generalise and make completely baseless allegations. How do you know what genres people listen to just because they don't want a rapper generally or Kanye specifically?

(And for the record, Coldplay are derivative and The Killers have written some of the worst lyrics in history.)

but perhaps some of you are upset because kanye did something unscripted and lashed into bush?

I have a problem when people widen racial divides rather than eliminating them. What Kanye said was plain dumb. I'm sick of an irrelevancy like race actually mattering.

The OOTS said:

At least there is some instrumentation involved with country music....no matter how vile the genre is. :ohmy:

there's 500 times the amount of varied instrumentation involved in hip hop than there is your basic top 40 middle of the road country song.

i suppose you think the neptunes are shit too, yes?

no wonder people like heartland girl left...this message board is depressing beyond words.

i'd take Kanye West over a country act any day of the week, and i don't really like hip-hop that much but country = :madspit: :sick:

Zoomerang96 said:
this message board is depressing beyond words.

Because people don't agree with you? WTF did you expect on a messageboard?

Axver said:

Wow, nice way to generalise and make completely baseless allegations. How do you know what genres people listen to just because they don't want a rapper generally or Kanye specifically?

(And for the record, Coldplay are derivative and The Killers have written some of the worst lyrics in history.)

I have a problem when people widen racial divides rather than eliminating them. What Kanye said was plain dumb. I'm sick of an irrelevancy like race actually mattering.

all i've read from you in this thread has been nothing but generalizations. and i never once exclusively labeled any group...i said a lot of you don't get it, and that's more than a little obvious.

Axver said:

Because people don't agree with you? WTF did you expect on a messageboard?

yes.

i hate this message board cause people don't agree with me.

that's exactly my point.

wow.

i'm pissed because so many here are completely close minded to anything that doesn't involve fucking guitars playing the same chord progression everyone's heard for the last 30 years.

The OOTS said:

Country music is not a 'vile' genre. And neither is rap.

If you have heard some country song, or a couple of rap songs, on the radio, and then dismissed the entire genres as a result, then you're either musically unadventurous, ill informed, or just downright lazy.

Country music - try out Gram Parsons, Emmylou Harris, The Band, Glen Campbell, or countless others.

Rap music - check out Public Enemy, Nas, the Disposable Heroes of Hypoprisy, etc.

Zoomerang96 said:

all i've read from you in this thread has been nothing but generalizations. and i never once exclusively labeled any group...i said a lot of you don't get it, and that's more than a little obvious.

I dislike rap and country. Your point? And just what don't people get?

Zoomerang96 said:
i suppose you think the neptunes are shit too, yes?

That's funny you mention the neptunes, I've been thinking maybe Pharrell Williams should do some of the production for the next U2 album. That might result in something interesting.

Zoomerang96 said:
i'm pissed because so many here are completely close minded to anything that doesn't involve fucking guitars playing the same chord progression everyone's heard for the last 30 years.

Except no-one's said that. Some people don't like either 1. rap generally or 2. Kanye specifically and you've decided on that basis alone that they are closed-minded. That doesn't even make SENSE. People have their own tastes, you know.

Zoomerang96 said:

i'm more impressed with myself than i am with bono these days, and you have no idea how little regard i hold myself to.

:wink:

:ohmy:

More impressed with yourself than with Bono/god....you're in big trouble now. :yes:

Uhoh....Bono's gonna send you to hell, you know. :wink:

1stepcloser said:
i'd take Kanye West over a country act any day of the week, and i don't really like hip-hop that much but country = :madspit: :sick:

that's my point.
Some people don't like the Rap genre.

I have nothing against Kanye. He's got plenty of followers so he must be good at what he does. To insinuate I am ignorant or not open to music other than the rock genre is just dumb. If Kanye opens, I will go watch...and take it all in.

Just given my choice, I want a BAND to open no matter how bad they may be. That is just my personal opinion and it's not swayed in any way by Kanye's recent lashes against the President.

Yes...this board is obviously not a place to share contadictory opinions.

Axver said:

Except no-one's said that. Some people don't like either 1. rap generally or 2. Kanye specifically and you've decided on that basis alone that they are closed-minded. That doesn't even make SENSE. People have their own tastes, you know.

i'm saying people won't give hiphop a chance cause they think it's all the same shit - those words have been littered throughout this entire thread.

and if you can't make sense of that, i feel sorry for you.

the equation is simple, but feel free to use a calculator to help you out.

Axver said:

No-one's said or implied there isn't.

but i'm right though, aren't i? the ma7ority of the people here only like "rock" music.

really, it's pretty obvious that that's the case. go look at bang and clatter.

Anyway in the interests of broadening musical horizons, I have given suggestions for hip hop and country musicians for people to check out. I can't force anyone to, it's up to them.

I'm done with this thread (for the moment :wink: )

Axver said:

You say race doesn't matter, and it shouldn't. But it does. In the US (and I'm sure other places too) it DOES matter, and that just fucking sucks. But to pretend it doesn't matter, to pretend people aren't treated differently because of race when they very clearly are, is a far bigger crime than to call the issue out.

This part of the discussion is better suited to FYM, but if you think race doesn't matter in this world, you must have your head in the sand.

well thanks for coming out financeguy. it's nice to see opinions exactly like mine.

...:wink:

Zoomerang96 said:

but i'm right though, aren't i? the ma7ority of the people here only like "rock" music.

really, it's pretty obvious that that's the case. go look at bang and clatter.

I don't really think it's so much that people only like one type of music. I like what I like (which actually encompasses more than what I discuss on this board), and won't apologise for that. But just because I don't like a type of music doesn't mean it sucks. It just means it doesn't really do much for me. It might be the cat's pajamas for someone else. But I'm only "right" for me. Someone with polar opposite tastes is also "right" -- for him or her.

indra said:

You say race doesn't matter, and it shouldn't. But it does. In the US (and I'm sure other places too) it DOES matter, and that just fucking sucks. But to pretend it doesn't matter, to pretend people aren't treated differently because of race when they very clearly are, is a far bigger crime than to call the issue out.

This part of the discussion is better suited to FYM, but if you think race doesn't matter in this world, you must have your head in the sand.

Agreed. I'm well aware it does matter, for whatever stupid reason.

I just have a problem when people continue to allow it to matter with inflammatory comments such as Kanye's.

indra said:

This is the part that has me confused. He's a big star. Why on earth would he want to open for anyone? He doesn't need the exposure. So I can't really see him opening and putting up with the crap openers have to deal with.

I was thinking the same thing when i read that Metallica would open for The Rolling Stones. But maybe its because Kanye admires U2, or want to gain a few more ´fans´. I dont know but i can even see U2 open for a few acts :wink: Just for the fun of it.

Axver said:

Agreed. I'm well aware it does matter, for whatever stupid reason.

I just have a problem when people continue to allow it to matter with inflammatory comments such as Kanye's.

That was not my point. My point is that people are treated differently on an institutional basis because of race. Kanye West's comments just pointed that fact out. What he is looking for is for race to truly not matter.

Have you ever heard of the "crime" of Driving While Black? So many black people I know have been stopped for "suspicious behaviour" while driving a nice car. In the same circumstances I, a white female, have never been stopped. Never. Or the sales people who shadow a black customer around the store but pay no attention to the white suburbanite shoplifting to her little heart's content.

Race does matter. It shouldn't, but it does.

yimou said:

I was thinking the same thing when i read that Metallica would open for The Rolling Stones. But maybe its because Kanye admires U2, or want to gain a few more ´fans´. I dont know but i can even see U2 open for a few acts :wink: Just for the fun of it.

Yikes! The poor fans of whatever band U2 opened for....they would be hard pressed to find tickets! :ohmy:

Of what I've heard of Kanye... he isn't too bad. Doesn't do much for me either way - but he certianlly appears a cut above a lot of the other rap community... There are a lot of other opening acts that could be a lot worse... I'm looking at you Killers, KOL, Keane et al.

His comments were dumb - almost reminicent of Bono back in the day - making statements about topics he felt quite strongly about, yet didn't quite have a grasp on the whole situation. So opening for U2 wouldn't exactly be that much of a stretch.

Go for it, there could be a lot worse acts.

(For the record the reason why they were dumb is I don't think Bush's lack of "care" is for the black community - but instead I truly believes he doesn't care about poor people. While they may be intertwined, they are not interchangable when making devisive comments like that... just my take.)

timothius said:

His comments were dumb - almost reminicent of Bono back in the day - making statements about topics he felt quite strongly about, yet didn't quite have a grasp on the whole situation.

I suspect Kanye may have a better grasp of the situation that you might think he does.

I love how everyone's jumping on the black man pointing out the fact when Celine Dion had an equally large as a meltdown during which she not only blasted the inadequacy of the hurricane response but ranted about Americans going to kill people overseas.

Yet the media only publicizes one of the two. Cuz God forbid anybody suggested Celine was militant.

Back
Top Bottom