kanye west opening for u2 .... why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just don't think Kanye West saying whatever he's going to say is going to provoke anything "ugly."

Some of the audience will cheer, some will boo, because no matter what side he's on, U2 has a diverse fan base. We don't all think alike.

Only difference is, when some cheer and some boo at a U2 political message, everyone will be there, instead of getting beer or going to the bathroom during an opening act's political tirade. :wink:

WildHoneyAlways said:
Just curious...
Why do those of you dislike Kanye West? (besides for his comment the other night)

Very simple: he's a rap artist. His recent comments just gave me more reason to dislike him.

I kind of like his music, but in any case ...

Mr. West's political views aside, I don't think hip hop or rap would be a good fit as an opening act for U2.

corianderstem said:
I kind of like his music, but in any case ...

Mr. West's political views aside, I don't think hip hop or rap would be a good fit as an opening act for U2.

It's not like they haven't done this before, with The Disposable Heroes Of Hiphoprisy, Public Enemy, Stereo MCs, Fun Lovin' Criminals, Die Söhne Mannheims, etc. already having been a support act on previous tours.

:shrug:

So has it been officially announced that Kanye is opening some shows for U2? I thought it was all a rumor at this point.

I wish Kanye West was opening the Minneapolis show instead of Dashboard Confessional. Actually, I wish almost anyone was opening for U2 in Minneapolis except Dashboard Confessional.

Last edited:
I think it's still rumor.

I'd forgotten about Disposable Heroes and those other bands opening for U2. Oh well, never mind.

I'm internetted out for a while. Time to go find something else to do.

WildHoneyAlways said:
Just curious...
Why do those of you dislike Kanye West? (besides for his comment the other night)

Is it b/c of his style of music, image, etc....?

I'll give you my honest answer: I know NOTHING about him except that he's a rapper and he did that Jesus Walks song and everyone thought he was the greatest thing since sliced bread for rapping about God, even though that's an old African-American spiritual that has been performed for decades and all Kanye did was rap over it. :shrug: I also saw him in part of a music vid on MTV and he wasn't giving off the image that he's any different than all the other big rappers. If I remember correctly, he was sporting PLENTY of bling and there were more than enough girls booty-shakin in hotpants to go around. I'll admit, I don't know any of his songs, but so far I've seen nothing from him to prove he's any different than any other rapper wearing millions in bling and a white suit.

Axver said:
Very simple: he's a rap artist.

To be totally honest, your narrow minded approach to music is seriously starting to grate on me. We know you don't like rap music. We do not near to hear the same statement repeated seven times a week on here.

I just wish sometimes people would listen to music before slagging it off. There's no excuse these days with the amount of music available on the web to not try something new and different. Who knows, you might just like it.

I actually like Kayne West music. He, like so few, is a real hip-hop artist. His album is about the music and not about marketing himself as a pop icon. I lost some respect for him this past weekend with him bitching about Bush. He needs to do that on his own time, not during a charity show for New Orleans. And to compare his bitching politics and the U2 conveys their message is totally different. I always thought U2 let the music do the talking.

corianderstem said:
Why will it be ugly if Kanye West gets into politics on stage? It's okay to for U2 to do it, but no one else?

Kanye's comments were divisive and did not promote unity and that is the antithesis of a U2 show.

As far as I'm concerned he's right up there with Jesse Jackson.

You just don't play the race card in the middle of a benefit that is supposed to be collecting money to raise emergency funds.

He doesn't deserve to be on the stage as U2.

:rolleyes:

As much as I would love to see Kanye West open for one of the shows I'm going to see, I hope he doesn't. It'll be Prince opening for the Stones all over again, with narrow-minded idiots booing off the stage a musician who pushes boundaries.

Oh, they're thrilled to see the likes of No Doubt open, a cookie-cutter band with nil talent, but a more adventurous choice, like Kanye West or Kings of Leon? Nope, we wouldn't want to listen to something new at all.

In reality, I think Kanye West is too big a star to be an opening act.

U2wedge, I think we're just going to have to disagree on the Kanye West thing. I've kind of hit the wall with all of this and just can't argue it anymore, but I respect your opinion.

martha said:

As much as I would love to see Kanye West open for one of the shows I'm going to see, I hope he doesn't. It'll be Prince opening for the Stones all over again, with narrow-minded idiots booing off the stage a musician who pushes boundaries.

Oh, they're thrilled to see the likes of No Doubt open, a cookie-cutter band with nil talent, but a more adventurous choice, like Kanye West or Kings of Leon? Nope, we wouldn't want to listen to something new at all.

It's not about not wishing to see something new, it's about not wishing to see something that isn't worth seeing in the first place - and Kanye and Kings Of Shit are perfect examples. One talks too fast and the other can't even make himself understood.

If we want something truly new, bring on Porcupine Tree. Only problem is their amazing instrumentation and vocals will probably blow U2 off the stage.

martha said:

Talking over some beats is adventurous?? :scratch:

Hardly...

martha said:

This is the part that has me confused. He's a big star. Why on earth would he want to open for anyone? He doesn't need the exposure. So I can't really see him opening and putting up with the crap openers have to deal with.

some of you people have absolutely no idea what's good out there outside your predictably favourite "rock" genre.

and even then many of you think the only good bands out there outside u2 are coldplay and the killers.

but perhaps some of you are upset because kanye did something unscripted and lashed into bush? i suppose some of you patriots don't like hearing bad things being said about your president, and this results in you saying kanye west has no talent.

well i'm glad he is, cause he's one of the very best acts u2 has ever got to open for them. arcade fire being one of them, the pixes another.

but of course, i remember people being pissed when it was announced p7 harvey was gonna open in 2001, and absolutely delighted when no doubt was announced for the third leg.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

I'll admit, I don't know any of his songs, but so far I've seen nothing from him to prove he's any different than any other rapper wearing millions in bling and a white suit.

I don't know any of his songs either -- hell I don't even know what he looks like -- but his recent comments about homophobia in the rap/hip hop community get kudos from me, no matter what I think of his music.

Last edited:
The OOTS said:

Talking over some beats is adventurous?? :scratch:

Hardly...

i'm thoroughly embarassed to read some of these replies. horrible.

if you know nothing about him or the genre, then please do everyone else a favour and try to become enlightened on the matter.

of course, that'll never happen.

I haven't liked Kanye West since he threw that tantrum last year when Gretchen Wilson won best new artist at the AMAs. I'm not a Grechen fan either, however Kanye could have been a better sport about it.....

Zoomerang96 said:
some of you people have absolutely no idea what's good out there outside your predictably favourite "rock" genre.

and even then many of you think the only good bands out there outside u2 are coldplay and the killers.

but perhaps some of you are upset because kanye did something unscripted and lashed into bush? i suppose some of you patriots don't like hearing bad things being said about your president, and this results in you saying kanye west has no talent.

well i'm glad he is, cause he's one of the very best acts u2 has ever got to open for them. arcade fire being one of them, the pixes another.

but of course, i remember people being pissed when it was announced p7 harvey was gonna open in 2001, and absolutely delighted when no doubt was announced for the third leg.

Well said, you tell it like it is. :up:

Some people seem to have forgotten Bono calling Chirac a wanker some years ago (live on TV I might add) plus he said something not very nice about Paul Martin recently I believe.

The idea that Bono is some nice soft cuddly diplomat, whereas Kanye West by contrast is some kind of rabble rouser, is absolute and utter bollocks.

Fuck's sake, songs like Bullet the Blue Sky and Red Hill Mining Town are absolutely EXCORIATING towards Reaganite and Thatcherite policies. If people on here don't see that, then frankly they don't have a fucking clue about U2's music. It's that simple.

bah

so you don't like him cause of a tantrum he threw????

no wonder you guys all 7oined this message board at this point in u2's career.

safe and moderate, that's your ideal "rock star" isn't it.

give me a rock star, a rapper anyone who's willing to piss the right people off to make a point.

financeguy said:

Some people seem to have forgotten Bono calling Chirac a wanker some years ago (live on TV I might add) plus he said something not very nice about Paul Martin recently I believe.

The idea that Bono is some nice soft cuddly diplomat, whereas Kanye West by contrast is some kind of rabble rouser, is absolute and utter bollocks.

Fuck's sake, songs like Bullet the Blue Sky and Red Hill Mining Town are absolutely EXCORIATING towards Reaganite and Thatcherite policies. If people on here don't see that, then frankly they don't have a fucking clue about U2's music. It's that simple.

Bono's allowed, don't you know. He is after all, god. Or at least thinks he is. :wink:

financeguy said:

Well said, you tell it like it is. :up:

exactly, but look at how many of the new fans act. they like their rock stars safe and predictable...singers who'll croon stuck in a moment and walk on and really rock out to vertigo.

brutal.

your points are spot on, many of the people in this thread who claim to not like kanye don't have a fucking clue.

indra said:

Bono's allowed, don't you know. He is after all, god. Or at least thinks he is. :wink:

i'm more impressed with myself than i am with bono these days, and you have no idea how little regard i hold myself to.

:wink:

The OOTS said:
Of course, they could announce a country band to open. What would the responses on this board be then?

I can't decide what's worse, country or rap.

Wait, I've occasionally enjoyed a few songs by country stars (as in I can count the total on one hand). Rap just grates and I'm yet to hear any that's actually pleasant to listen to. I'd take the country band.

Shame most of the bands I'd actually like to see open for U2 are no longer active. But Crowded House/U2, what a show that would be ...! :drool:

Back
Top Bottom