Just how hard will it be to get Croke Park, Dublin tickets?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guinnessdog

Babyface
Hey guys. Great board, I've enjoyed reading your opinions and info for a while now. I have a quick question in case anybody might be able to help. How hard do you think it will be to get Dublin tickets for June 24?, 25 or 26. I'm in New Orleans, and it's for my wife's birthday/anniversary/valentines day....heck I should be set for a good three years. I'm asking if it's tough-pretty good chance-forget it. I just have no idea, about venue size. Thanks in advance for any info. My wife and I are both huge U2 fans and we're loving Atomic. For me Original..Species is a classic, her favorite is Yahweh.

Last edited:
hey guinnessdog!You're right, tickets ARE gonna be hard to obtain,especially for us not from Ireland...But if you're in fan club, i think the odds are much better!
Optimistic part: the venue really big i suppose,so 3 times 80 000 and something won't fill that quick,right?
Pesimistic: 2 times 80000 and something were GONE in less than 45 minutes for Slane in 2001,so....

My great wish is also to see them play in their hometown,
and i'm celebrating my birthday on the 24th...
Keeping my fingers crossed for all of us!

P.S.:maybe we could sign a treaty or something,you know: if you get it,get it for me too and vice versa--not a bad idea afterall-
hear you!

-:drool:

I'd go in on a deal like that - you get tix for me, i get them for you!! :up: :drool:

My hubby & I are planning a visit to Ireland in a few years, but I WOULD KILL to be able & fly over for a few days in June to see them play in their hometown!!!! A bit pricey for a weekend getaway, but hey - this ain't just any 4-man band we're talking about! :lol: If I thought that I could really pull off the logistics of getting tix to an overseas show plus arranging airfare to & from in the matter of 2-3 weeks??? - I would be SO there!

Take out a subscribtion at u2.com
I got my Slane tix through Propaganda four years ago.
U2.com should do the same trick..

Im hoping to get tickets for this as well,

Gonna be a lot to organise - find a place to stay and stuff over there. Anybody know any good places to stay in Dublin? ( that are cheapish ;) )

guinnessdog said:
Hey guys. Great board, I've enjoyed reading your opinions and info for a while now. I have a quick question in case anybody might be able to help. How hard do you think it will be to get Dublin tickets for June 24?, 25 or 26. I'm in New Orleans, and it's for my wife's birthday/anniversary/valentines day....heck I should be set for a good three years. I'm asking if it's tough-pretty good chance-forget it. I just have no idea, about venue size. Thanks in advance for any info. My wife and I are both huge U2 fans and we're loving Atomic. For me Original..Species is a classic, her favorite is Yahweh.

Slane I 80,000 attendance: sold out in 45 minutes

Slane II 80,000 attendance: sold out in 90 minutes

Croke Park holds 57,000

U2 are planning 2 or 3 shows there this year.

If demand is the same as it was for the Slane gigs 4 years ago, then it will be more difficult this time to get tickets.

croke park does not hold 57,000. for a football match it holds over 80,000.

so for a concert, when you consider the crowd will be standing on the pitch as well as the stands, i would have thought it would hold a hell of a lot more.

either way though, i imagine tickets are going to be VERY hard to get a hold of.

if you want to go the this show, I'd say you have to buy tickets with the $40 membership. Its going to sell out quick, the demand in the US alone for this show will be high. With the u2.com thing, you're gauranteed a ticket.

gav6519 said:
croke park does not hold 57,000. for a football match it holds over 80,000.

so for a concert, when you consider the crowd will be standing on the pitch as well as the stands, i would have thought it would hold a hell of a lot more.

either way though, i imagine tickets are going to be VERY hard to get a hold of.

You lose about half of the seats for a football game when you put in a massive stage with two columns of speaker stacks. Not only are seats behind the stage not used, but seats on the side and are not used either up to a certain point.

Typically a stadium that seats around 80,000 people for football, will have about 55,000 seats available for a stadium concert. 40,000 in the stands and 15,000 on the field. If they use General admission on the field, then the number on the field can go up.

GIANTS stadium in the USA(New York City) seats about 80,000 for a football game. Concerts there have a max capacity of 55,000 to 60,000.

Near Washington DC, FED EX field is another stadium with 80,000 seat capacity. Once again it is in the 55,000 range for max capacity at a concert with seats on the field.

RademR said:
if you want to go the this show, I'd say you have to buy tickets with the $40 membership. Its going to sell out quick, the demand in the US alone for this show will be high. With the u2.com thing, you're gauranteed a ticket.

I don't believe the u2.com thing guarantees you anything, it just guarantees an "opportunity" to buy on the pre-sale. Otherwise they'd sell out the few dates on the European leg to subscribers only and that won't be allowed to happen.

cdparky said:

I don't believe the u2.com thing guarantees you anything, it just guarantees an "opportunity" to buy on the pre-sale. Otherwise they'd sell out the few dates on the European leg to subscribers only and that won't be allowed to happen.

good point

cdparky said:

:|
I disagree with that!!
I think it's a fair play if you offer tickets to Europeans first!
I mean, i like you americans, but hey----5 to 6 concerts in NYC or Boston or Chicago or where else in ONE YEAR--isn't that more than enough???!?!?
If you counted one european city,like munich,you would have to wait for 5 concerts a whole decade (one concert/tour)!!!!

If Propaganda is anything to go by, then North Americans won`t be able to purchase for European shows and vice-versa but hopefully that won`t be the case this time around!

tilen said:

:|
I disagree with that!!
I think it's a fair play if you offer tickets to Europeans first!
I mean, i like you americans, but hey----5 to 6 concerts in NYC or Boston or Chicago or where else in ONE YEAR--isn't that more than enough???!?!?
If you counted one european city,like munich,you would have to wait for 5 concerts a whole decade (one concert/tour)!!!!

I think the pre-sale will be limited to Europeans only for Europe & vice-versa. The point I was making is that in Europe alone there will probably be more than enough people subscribed to sell out most of the shows and the promoters won't let that happen. They could certainly sell out Croke Park like that, how many fans in Europe won't try to go if they can get there? So I totally agree that Europeans get first bite at these tickets, after all we only have 2-3 shows per country instead of per city.

Come on, when presale starts, what are they going to do. Say, oh you're from Brazil or wherever trying to see a european show. Back of the line for you, europeans come first. Everyone who forked out the $40 should have an equal chance to see any damn show they want regardless of where they are from.

yes, but still: at the end of the day, more than half of europeans cannot even afford to go to ANY concert,yet even u2, and Latin Amerika and other parts of the world are still left out----simply some countries COST money for u2-they' re not stupid,it's all calculated
All I'm saying is from my point of view:: i must start saving NOW if i want (or make it) to A concert in the summer--not so lucky as some cashed up b******* who simply say: hey, why not travel 10000miles tomorrow to go to a rock concert?

It's alright,no hard feelings!good night:lol:

Ok, let me first say its gonna be tricky for anyone to get a ticket for these gigs. Croke Park is big, but so are U2! Max capacity for a match is 80,000, but I don't fully agree with STING2's comparison with the Giants Stadium. Croke Park isn't seated the whole way round, it is terraced at the Hill 16 end which takes up about 15,000. If they put the stage there, then with the 65,000 seats and the whole pitch to stand on (Irish people don't like sitting at concerts - it'll be standing!) maybe another 20,000+ could go there. This is a heartening number, but its still not enough!
I tried and unfortunately failed to get a ticket for either Slane gig. And yes I'm bitter! I even resorted to going round to my mate's house (who lives about 10 miles from Slane village) to try to hear the music! Alas, nothing save a distant thud of bass near the end. This year it'll be different, but I must admit to being slightly annoyed at all these reports of people from places with plenty of U2 gigs trying to come here too. It happened last time, and hey, I understand the desire to see them in their home town, it will be superb. Its just how would ye feel if people from across the world bought out your local concert? I go to university in Dublin, and I can walk home from Croke Park for Chrissake!..
Sorry, rant over. I'm not gonna lower the tone of this forum by bringing up the who's the bigger fan argument and all that bulls**t. We're bothering to post on this board, I hope we all get tickets, and its people who just went to Slane to see the Chilis, the Foos, or just for 'the craic' that don't. See ye there! (hopefully...)

thelongfella said:
Ok, let me first say its gonna be tricky for anyone to get a ticket for these gigs. Croke Park is big, but so are U2! Max capacity for a match is 80,000, but I don't fully agree with STING2's comparison with the Giants Stadium. Croke Park isn't seated the whole way round, it is terraced at the Hill 16 end which takes up about 15,000. If they put the stage there, then with the 65,000 seats and the whole pitch to stand on (Irish people don't like sitting at concerts - it'll be standing!) maybe another 20,000+ could go there. This is a heartening number, but its still not enough!
I tried and unfortunately failed to get a ticket for either Slane gig. And yes I'm bitter! I even resorted to going round to my mate's house (who lives about 10 miles from Slane village) to try to hear the music! Alas, nothing save a distant thud of bass near the end. This year it'll be different, but I must admit to being slightly annoyed at all these reports of people from places with plenty of U2 gigs trying to come here too. It happened last time, and hey, I understand the desire to see them in their home town, it will be superb. Its just how would ye feel if people from across the world bought out your local concert? I go to university in Dublin, and I can walk home from Croke Park for Chrissake!..
Sorry, rant over. I'm not gonna lower the tone of this forum by bringing up the who's the bigger fan argument and all that bulls**t. We're bothering to post on this board, I hope we all get tickets, and its people who just went to Slane to see the Chilis, the Foos, or just for 'the craic' that don't. See ye there! (hopefully...)

I agree with you, I understand that we all as U2 fans want to see them in Ireland BUT as the amount of concerts are very very limited in Europe and America has 81 concerts over 2 legs its a bit unfair to take tickets when you are lucky enough to be able to travel to as many concerts as you like in your own country.

Maybe the presale will be if you live in America thats were the pre sale will be for and Europe thats where ours will be.

But like you I will be very very pissed off if I dont get any tickets for England or Ireland I couldnt get Slane last time and I had to pay massive amounts for my Manchester gigs.

This will be very interesting to see who gets tickets and for where I will be taking a very keen interest in this one!!

I understand to a certain degree the notion that it's unfair to Dubliners, but at the same time, I'm still going to snag tickets for Dublin. I live in New Orleans; for two-three weeks a year, I can't enjoy my favorite restauraunts, pubs, or even roads because of the influx of Mardi Gras. That's life. Going to see U2 in Dallas or Fla, or seeing the boys in Dublin and then having a pint of real Guinness? Hmmmm...I'm going to Dublin. I work hard, I can afford to do it.

ladywithspinninghead said:
If Propaganda is anything to go by, then North Americans won`t be able to purchase for European shows and vice-versa but hopefully that won`t be the case this time around!

What about North Americans living in Europe.:sexywink:

thelongfella said:

I honestly hope your right about the number of seats that will be available. The U2 Concert Documentary Book by "PIMM" gives and estimate of 57,000 tickets sold for the 1985 show on the UF tour and both 1987 shows for the Joshua Tree tour. But perhaps that estimate was incorrect.

so do you guys honestly not think that the u2.com membership will come in handy for this? i was thinking it would be a lot easier and pretty much certain that you'd be able to get tickets to it through them... not a definite of course but i would be surprised if there were 60000 U2 fans all with membership to U2.com and all trying to go to Croke park.

am i totally underestimating this? if so you'll have to forgive me and re-educate me, i originate from a small town!! we never did big 80000 people rock concerts! :lol:

Ive just got one question for all you American fans on this site, your getting over 80 concerts over two legs, how many more do you want. Us fans in England are only getting 6 and 2 in Ireland, I really do think that these English and Irish concerts should be sold to us first then to other members. For crying out loud don't you lot think your getting enough concerts, it really does annoy me when people like yourselves get tickets for over here.

Don't mean to offend but come on, 80 concerts to our 8, I think you should all just stick to your own country and let us English get tickets for over here.

STING2 said:

I honestly hope your right about the number of seats that will be available. The U2 Concert Documentary Book by "PIMM" gives and estimate of 57,000 tickets sold for the 1985 show on the UF tour and both 1987 shows for the Joshua Tree tour. But perhaps that estimate was incorrect.

Croke Park has been totally refurbished in the last few years, so I imagine that would be behind the larger capacity.

Last edited:
Larry's Lush said:
Ive just got one question for all you American fans on this site, your getting over 80 concerts over two legs, how many more do you want. Us fans in England are only getting 6 and 2 in Ireland, I really do think that these English and Irish concerts should be sold to us first then to other members. For crying out loud don't you lot think your getting enough concerts, it really does annoy me when people like yourselves get tickets for over here.

Don't mean to offend but come on, 80 concerts to our 8, I think you should all just stick to your own country and let us English get tickets for over here.

Completely agree!:yes:

ladywithspinninghead said:

Or..as you probably mean...North Americans with European friends? ;)

There are lots of North Americans actually living in Europe.:sexywink:

Back
Top Bottom