is it just me...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KUEFC09U2

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
or are these shows getting rather poor reviews compared to the elevation tour? i mean over on u2tours.com last nights show is getting abit of a pasting, with people saying they were "dissapointed"(this seems to be a buzz word this tour). and then you compare these to the first 11 shows from elevation, and almost every review says "brilliant" or "amazing"

strange

i've also noticed that fans tend to whine a lot more than they used to.

i firmly believe that it's tough for some people to make the transition from Elevation to Vertigo. Elevation was meant to be more of a personal, no bullshit show, where Vertigo is meant to bring back some of the elements of ZooTV and Popmart.

while i personally enjoyed Elevation, i kind of missed the bright lights and video screens of the past tours, so i can gaurantee that i'll love this tour with a passion.

mikal said:
i've also noticed that fans tend to whine a lot more than they used to.

i firmly believe that it's tough for some people to make the transition from Elevation to Vertigo. Elevation was meant to be more of a personal, no bullshit show, where Vertigo is meant to bring back some of the elements of ZooTV and Popmart.

while i personally enjoyed Elevation, i kind of missed the bright lights and video screens of the past tours, so i can gaurantee that i'll love this tour with a passion.
same here, and i really hope none of it gets through to U2, otherwise they could just start thinking "lets just fuck it" kinda thing

KUEFC09U2 said:
same here, and i really hope none of it gets through to U2, otherwise they could just start thinking "lets just fuck it" kinda thing

I've been surprised at the amount of moaning and whinging from fans about the tour.. Oh well.. I'm still excited!

exactly. i don't let all the negative people change my views. i just enjoy and laugh at those who don't.

I am truly appalled at some of these fans. Not in a "get out of my face" kind of way, but I really hope some of these fans aren't the same ones who were dissapointed in the pre/general sales and are coming to the shows with some kind of "let's hate on U2" agenda.

I loved the personal aspect of Elevation, but this show is just way cooler in a way Elevation never was. It's hard to explain, you've just gotta go and if you're dissapointed, I'll take any other tickets you bought for the rest of the tour off your hands. :wink:

I have been to 3 shows so far and I have loved them all. Sure I could nitpik small things but I chalk it up to the some of difficulties they had getting the tour off the ground and leave it at that. And I am enjoying this tour much more than Elevation.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
I am truly appalled at some of these fans. Not in a "get out of my face" kind of way, but I really hope some of these fans aren't the same ones who were dissapointed in the pre/general sales and are coming to the shows with some kind of "let's hate on U2" agenda.

exactly. you're not going to like something if you don't want to like it. and that's the feeling i get from a lot of these negative reviews.

i don't mind some comments like "the sound was bad", because maybe they really did have sound problems that night. but to say that "An Cat Dubh sucked!!111" or "the band wasn't into it" is bullshit.

martha said:
The people who are complaining about this tour are full of shit. The band has never sounded better musically.

Martha, have you actually been to a Vertigo gig? Which one? How many times have you seen U2? Did you see Elevation? I wish I had, esp as it seems they played more - dont kill me :uhoh: - "hits" then. I've never seen U2 before, I cant wait to hear them play their older classics, aswell as the new tracks.

Some people are only happy if they have something (they think) to moan about. Im just thankful I got tickets, esp as there are lots of people out there who havent who would love to go. :(

Desert Dog said:
I have been to 3 shows so far and I have loved them all. Sure I could nitpik small things but I chalk it up to the some of difficulties they had getting the tour off the ground and leave it at that. And I am enjoying this tour much more than Elevation.

What exactly about it are you enjoying more than you did Elevation?

and another thing, i have notced the ones that do complain are actually in seats, so am wondering, are these the people that tried to get GA, but failed, so are basically going to be bitchy simple because they had a weed on about not being in the GA

Honestly, who knows.:shrug:

Time flies, soon enough the tour will be over, instead of enjoying and cherishing the good times, people seem to want to focus on the things that might not be exactly what they wanted or expected, the songs that didn't get played instead of the ones that did, on so on and so forth.

I went to opening night. I enjoyed every minute of it. I hear the complaining about the people sitting down, or smoking or drinking and to be honest when I was at the show, standing at my seat alone, I didn't even know who was around me. Was happy to see they were back, laughed when Elevation flopped, and sang louder when Bono missed the whole 1st verse of one. I'm counting the days until May 21st to see my next 5 shows.

I don't live focusing on the negative. I enjoy everything I can because you never know if you'll live to see tomorrow. 2005 is the year of the U2 Vertigo Tour, enjoy it while its happening because soon enough it will be over.

Last edited:
lisa2004 said:

What exactly about it are you enjoying more than you did Elevation?

The band is playing songs like SBS in it's original key and Bono's singing is much better than the Elevation tour. And I am enjoying some of the showmanship ala ZooTV: Bono banging away on the drum kit, Bono's little march at the start of Zoo Station, etc.

Honestly, if people are bitching and moaning about this show, then probably nothing U2 could do would satisfy them, unless U2 were to play for 4 hours, and play that complainer's personal set list.

I have seen all U2 tours since 1987, and I felt the most passion from the band on this one. I think the initial euphoria with Elevation was that a bunch of fans felt U2 got back to their "roots" more, after Popmart.

On this tour, the band seems to really be enjoying themselves, and on the 2 shows I have seen, really feeding of the crowd's energy, more than they ever have. Bono sounds fabulous, I think better than he has in quite awhile. The new material sounds great, the setlist (to me) is better than the setlist I saw on Elevation.

Then again, that's my opinion - I am sure you can find lots of complainers - I say ignore them and go and see for yourself if you are able.

I think it's just the fact that the disappointed people are a lot more vocal and feel incomplete w/o trashing the shows. Come on, how can you complain about a U2 show - Find me a better show - ANYWHERE !:mad:

kellyahern said:
Plus Bono gets to play the drums on this tour . . . 'nuff said :cool:

edit: Desert Dog beat me to it :lol:

Oh yeah, the Bono drumming bit! :wink: Can't wait to see that live. I've heard bootlegs of SBS from a few shows and it does sound incrediable, ten times better than on Elevation. Its one of my faves so I can't wait to hear it live. They better still play that one in Europe!

Jo.

Numb1075 said:
I think it's just the fact that the disappointed people are a lot more vocal and feel incomplete w/o trashing the shows. Come on, how can you complain about a U2 show - Find me a better show - ANYWHERE !:mad:

I hear Tony Christie puts on a pretty good show! :)

Numb1075 said:

LOL! Oops Sorry, guess you are from the States. Tony Christie is an old singer who is number 1 over here in the uk at the mo with "Show me the way to Amarillo" I really like the song.. it was released for Comic Relief.. and hes just gone on a tour that is doing really well over here and people keep going on about it!

Any person that is disappointed by this tour is not a true fan. Bono's voice sounds much better than Elevation. The band is playing as good as ever. They're giving us something old and something new every show. There are many moments in each show that are just U2 at their best: Bono banging on the drums at the end of LAPOE, Bono taunting Larry and Adam to sing, the Edge tearing it up on Zoo Station and the Fly, Yahweh, 40, etc.... There is just too much good stuff in this tour. If you don't love every moment you should find a new band to follow.

Numb1075 said:
Thanks for the clarification Lisa. I am in NY, and had never heard of him. What does he sound like?

Like an old crooner.. the song was released as a joke really, the video is hilarious.. it stars Peter Kay, you probably havent heard of him either, he's a comedian. The song is massive, its funny!

Numb1075 said:
Thanks for the clarification Lisa. I am in NY, and had never heard of him. What does he sound like?

Sha la la la la la la la *clap* *clap*

Sha la la la la la la la *clap* *clap*

I suspect that doesn't do the song full justice, but that's the best impression I can muster at present. I bet you're sorry you asked now...:wink: (what was this thread about again?)

Bono is on top form, from what I've heard of the tour so far. It's so clear from the performances that the whole band are loving this record and being back on the road again.
The only thing I can consider as a complaint, is the dull ache in my head from the constant whining sound of whinging fans. Oh well...:shrug:

Some people will never be happy. That is just their nature. U2 is such a popular band that they will never make everyone happy. I guarantee, that everyone here has a song that they want to hear played that won't be played.

Personally, I thought the Vertigo show was the best concert I have ever attended. Although, I was right in front of the stage :wink: Anyways, hearing the recording of it, Bono sounded great and I could tell the guys were having a blast, especially when that stripper girl was chasing Bono around the stage.

The only thing that I liked about Elevation better than Vertigo was the opener... No Doubt :drool: The HTDAAB songs all sound so amazing live, and it will only get better :rockon:

lisa2004 said:

Martha, have you actually been to a Vertigo gig? Which one? How many times have you seen U2?

3 Vertigo shows so far (Anaheim 1 and 2, Phoenix 2)
6 Elevation shows
2 JT shows
1 UF show
1 War show

This is an awesome tour. Musically the band are tight, and they sound incredible.

martha said:
The people who are complaining about this tour are full of shit. The band has never sounded better musically.

:up:

i so agree.

well to pull a jick and play devils advocate for a second, martha says the band has never sounded better musically...

well lets look at some current versions of songs that they played on previous tours...

• bullet the blue sky does not have the same power on this tour that it did during zootv, or even joshua tree
  • running to stand still is great, but i prefer the zootv version
  • streets is great, but its misisng the great transition its had on past tours
  • its awesome they are playing zoostation, but the current version lacks some of the power it had on zootv
  • the fly is also great, but the elevation tour version is their best version
  • beautiful day is about the same as during the elevation tour
  • elevation lacks the punch it had during the elvation tour
  • sunday bloody sunday and pride are both really good, but have had better moments in previous tours
  • same with new years day...
  • they boy stuff is great and is probably the tightest theyve ever played it, though gloria back in the joshua tree era probably had a little more kick

dont get me wrong, the tour is amazing, the new songs are awesome, and its nice they are trying out new versions of old songs

but there arent really any old songs that they are playing where i am thinking, "wow, this is the best version of this song that ive ever heard!"

anybody agree?

Last edited:
I'd say the current version of The Fly is every bit as good as Zoo Tv and even better than Elevation. It has a much more Rock n Roll, gritty edge to it this time round I think.

:reject:

Back
Top Bottom