Is It Hell waiting for GA?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

one4u2

ONE love, blood, life
Alright do tell. Give me the negatives of camping out for ga tickets.
We already know the positives and don't get me wrong I 'd give a kidney to be right in front, hell I'd throw in an arm for guaranteed first row but sleeping out for hours maybe days seems harsh! Keep in mind I live in NY it gets beyond freezing here! Is it absolute hell with no sleep, shower etc..?

Well...for Elevation we waited out in the cold weather (this was Texas lol) for a few hours...it was painful and we were like 4th in line and by the time we got to the ticket counter all GA tickets were sold out...and we got nosebleed seats :huh:

yeah, i also want to know from any londoners about this...
the only concert i've been to is in cape town and i bought my golden circle tix about 3 days after release while here i hear horror stories of sell outs in 20 minutes!
so i want ot know what kind of a wait for tickets i have in store for me- hours? days? how long realistically to be near the front?
i'm happy to do it i just don't want to underestimate it adn rock up too late!

I had fun in the GA line for the 2 shows I had GA tickets for. I got to meet a whole bunch of nice people and we had discussions similar to the ones on this board.
The Vegas show was a little weird, though. How long had that guy at the front of the line been, there? I mean, geez, you're in Vegas! Go do something kitchy! I think if you're spending the night in line, you're taking it a bit too far.

i camped out in november on the 2nd leg of the tour in dallas at reunion arena. it was kinda miserable and cold but not too bad since we were all bundled up in sleeping bags. and even the fact that the train went by every 20 minutes or so and woke us up when we were almost asleep wasn't that bad either. it was just so great being out there with u2 fans and i think the adrenalin was keeping us so excited that nothing really mattered. luckily the hyatt regency hotel wasn't too far away so we could take potty breaks and freshen up while someone saved our place in line :laugh:

i got right inside the heart in the tip so it paid off in the end and was totally awesome. but it made me mad that ppl saved places for other people who showed up at 4pm the day of the concert and got in at the same spot after we were miserable all night :angry:

yeah the thing that worries me the most about GA queues is the toilet thing. What if there aren't any toilets nearby?!!

and what if I get to the front once inside, but then need the loo?

I worry about things like this. I blame my mother :mad:

I waited in the GA line in Philly, and probably the worst part of it for me was having to use the port-o-pottys.....Yuck! I guess I shouldn't complain, at least there were port-o-pottys to use.

I had a lot of fun hanging out with friends for 16+ hours, but since I only did this for the second leg of Elevation, it sucked because the shows I did it for were during October and November. Sleeping on sidewalks when it's 35 degrees is no party. The last time I did this for U2 was in November in St. Louis.
It alternately snowed/sleeted all day, and by the time we were able to get into the Savvis Center, I couldn't feel my feet. It is worth it, because I was able to be in the second row for all of those shows (although I think I was in 4th for St. Louis), even though everyone else in the world thinks I'm crazy for doing it...

How long were waits? NYC was weird -- I got in line at 2:30 and was No. 219. Not a long wait at all compared to some of the overnight stories. Maybe NYC is the place to be for GA.

Depends on the city and what facilities are around the venue, as well as the people next to you and how considerate they are about holding your spot.

What do you think, do I have any chances getting tickets for Croke park gigs? I had a big idea, me and 2 of my friends were supposed to go to Ireland and see U2 play in Croke park. Now you got me worried and made me think I'm daydreaming here.. I would need to buy the tickets from some online dealer. What are my chances? 0%??

Man, I was lucky as it sounds some of you guys have had it tough. The latest I've ever qued was from 12.30 on the day of the concert and got into the heart at the front of the stage at Earls Court. Every other time I've qued I've always been near or on the barrier. I think it may come down to where you live and if your city is fanatical ot not about U2!!

Hopefully they'll have pre-sales similar to David Bowie, so the real fans will get early access to tickets before the general public. I don't mind paying $60 to join a fan club if I get access to pre-sales, it'd be worth it. And if that's how it works out I'll be doing it.

Last edited:
flameandthefire said:
What do you think, do I have any chances getting tickets for Croke park gigs? I had a big idea, me and 2 of my friends were supposed to go to Ireland and see U2 play in Croke park. Now you got me worried and made me think I'm daydreaming here.. I would need to buy the tickets from some online dealer. What are my chances? 0%??

if you haven't seen www.theonlineticketshop.com are selling tickets for these
they're damn pricey which everythign off this site generally is because its mostly hard to get stuff so you pay way more simply because its pre-sale and you're guaranteed a ticket. (from what i gather, despite concerns this is a very legitimate ticket shop)

however, with the concert not confirmed yet, its really up to you whether you want to buy tickets off these guys wihtout any official concert confirmation...?
i can't see how they would be able to keep your money if the concert plans change and it doesnt happen and the dates are transferable if those change so....

up to you really

digsy said:

if you haven't seen www.theonlineticketshop.com are selling tickets for these
they're damn pricey which everythign off this site generally is because its mostly hard to get stuff so you pay way more simply because its pre-sale and you're guaranteed a ticket. (from what i gather, despite concerns this is a very legitimate ticket shop)

Hey, thanks for the tip! I wasn't aware tickets were already available. Anyway, I feel like I have to wait for some confirmation before buying any tickets. ..And the prices are too damn high! What is the normal price for a gig like this? It can't be this much now can it? These are about 3 - 4 times more expensive than tickets to for example U2 / Bruce Springsteen gigs in Finland.

General Admission £125.00
Reserved Seat £175.00
Front Third (Platinum) Seating £275.00

flameandthefire said:

Hey, thanks for the tip! I wasn't aware tickets were already available. Anyway, I feel like I have to wait for some confirmation before buying any tickets. ..And the prices are too damn high! What is the normal price for a gig like this? It can't be this much now can it? These are about 3 - 4 times more expensive than tickets to for example U2 / Bruce Springsteen gigs in Finland.

General Admission £125.00
Reserved Seat £175.00
Front Third (Platinum) Seating £275.00

yeah i know - i think its just the site itself to be honest. i've had a look at other thigns they sell on there and they're all about double the price of normal ticket retailers. i think the deal is though (depending on whether you trust the site) you pay extra money and i mean WAY extra money and then you're guaranteed a ticket.

what i'm thinking of doing is buying these online ones at those prices and then trying ot buy GA normally when they're released. if i can get then i'll sell these ones on e-bay and try regain some of my money back - sold out U2 in ireland? people will pay for that so i'm bound to make some of my money back.
and if i cant get GA when they're released or i miss out, then the £125 i paid for these will be worth every penny!

i think i'm gonna wait for comfirmation though...

I just get them online.. I got GA twice online with no problems.

Now, camping out the day of the concert to get close is another story, that was fun :D

Really depends on the weather. Nice weather = no problem. Crap weather = misery.
GA on the first and second legs of Elevation was pretty easy. You could show up after lunch and get into the heart. However, on the third leg, word got out and GA was the hot ticket. You basically had to get their super early in the morning to insure being in the heart. To be up front in the heart you pretty much had to camp out over night. Then add on that it was nearing winter time in N. America at that point and you had some very bad weather in addition. Chicago 3rd leg was miserable. Fortunately I didnt have to camp out the whole 2nd day as it was NASTY.

If they do GA again, I will probebly try to do a couple shows. But I think Golden Circle will be my option next year for most. I got to burn out point with the GA on Elevation.

I've never camped for tickets but once you have GA you have to camp for the show or you won't get a good spot. That is what you hear people talking and complaining about, not the ticket line.

I had mixed experiences. Atlanta and Lexington are great because they are right next to huge malls you can take breaks in. DC was hell because it was dirty, scary, and the eateries were down roads I normally wouldn't walk.We had to use the bathroom in the Discovery store and were lucky we weren't told to leave as many people did it so many times. Charlotte was hell, raining, cold, and nothing to walk to but a bar and grill that was very expensive. Then after you sit/lay all day long, you have to watch for line cutters at the very end. Only about 250 were allowed in the heart so the spots were valuable. How long you wait will be how close you are to the band. In the beginning, the lines weren't bad, but as the tour progressed and everyone found out how awesome GA was the lines became very long later. By summer you had to get there by noon, by fall you had to either sleep there or come by dawn to have a chance at a good spot. People were handing out hand numbers to keep track but it was mostly on your honor. I would say do not bother with GA unless it means a lot to you to have close contact with the band. Even then you may not get it.

I had fun in GA...until it stated pouring down rain. You absolutely have to watch for cutters. It was worth it. We got there at 7:00 am and were numbers 240 or something like that. I will absolutely do GA again. Being so close was amazing. However, I did not have anything to drink after about 4:00 b/c I did not want to take any chances of having to pee during the concert and losing my spot!

If I was in St. Louis or Chicago in the middle of winter it would have been more challenging. You Midwesterners are real troopers!

u2valleygirl said:
You absolutely have to watch for cutters.

You really do, and be prepared, talk to the people around you and make a plan because if they're coming it's gonna be right as you line up to go inside. In Baltimore it was a group of teenage girls dressed like Boogaloos with painted faces and antenna, so they did stick out as not having been seen in line before. They got right in front of me and my friend and a lady doctor we were by and we closed them off. They kept trying but after being thwarted a third time they disappeared. If they cut anyone it wasn't in front of me. You just have to squeeze together and not let them in and if need be yell for the people who give out numbers or even venue security. I can understand anyone wanting to move up, but it's not fair to the those who've toughed it out all day on the sidewalk(and not in the true U2 spirit)

I did not want to take any chances of having to pee during the concert and losing my spot!

Another thing to consider. Once you get out on the GA floor you will have to secure your spot for the night and if you leave to go to the bathroom you likely will not be able to get your spot back, either because someone else took it or you were unable to fight the crowd to get back up front. It's a chance you take. I say do without a drink 2 hrs. before they let you in, and go right before they line up if you can. If you are in the heart (well if there's something like a heart this time) you have a wristband so you can be let in and out, but you will not be guaranteed your spot. Maybe, maybe not, it's a chance I won't take.

Last edited:
oh, god, guys, this sounds like a lot of pressure. I didn't get a chance to go to Elevation, so I have no idea what I'm in for. :yikes:

I think everyone should try GA at least once, just for the experience of q-ing. It can be tough (mild hypothermia in NJ after 13 hours q-ing and still didn't get in the heart...gotta love those security guys :mad:)...but it is a fantastic way to meet other fans, and from my experience, they are always willing to help you out and also hold your spot for you (if you're reasonable about it..no disappearing for 7 hours:)).

The trick is to be prepared, only take things that you can either stash back in the car or at your hotel or are prepared to throw away before the doors open. There was generally a mad rush when the gates opened last time and you don't want to be weighed down by anything lol.

Personally, I want nothing but GA next time round if I can get the tix...its just part of the experience.

I ended up 3 rows back in the heart in Calgary (early April 2001), and only had to wait 4 hours in line. Good thing too, cause it was cold!! :D

For LA in early November, my gf and I got there around 9 or 10 or 11am (I can't remember exactly) and there was already a pretty big crowd of people camping out. I think we were around 170-something in line. The weather was fine, although it started pouring the last half hour before we got in.

It's pretty fun though. Bring cards, bring a book, bring homework or whatever, or just have fun hanging out with the fellow U2 freaks. ;)

Diemen said:
I ended up 3 rows back in the heart in Calgary (early April 2001), and only had to wait 4 hours in line.

Early in the tour, no wonder. That's why I said it was not bad in the spring but got worse in the summer and much worse in the fall as word spread about how cool GA was. No one should count on a 4 hour wait for a good spot this time, not now that most of the fans will know from experience to come early.

Diemen said:
I ended up 3 rows back in the heart in Calgary (early April 2001), and only had to wait 4 hours in line. Good thing too, cause it was cold!! :D

For LA in early November, my gf and I got there around 9 or 10 or 11am (I can't remember exactly) and there was already a pretty big crowd of people camping out. I think we were around 170-something in line. The weather was fine, although it started pouring the last half hour before we got in.

It's pretty fun though. Bring cards, bring a book, bring homework or whatever, or just have fun hanging out with the fellow U2 freaks. ;)

The first L.A. show? I was there, I thought it was kinda funny, it rained that night. Irish band, hehe the rain follows them from home. :)

Back
Top Bottom