Is Bono using a teleprompter????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Joshua_Tree_Hugger said:

This is how Larry is performing for Yahweh. Playing, poorly, a midi controller with the notes for the song pasted to the keyboard stand. The four times I saw him do it, he was passable once. It is really embarassing actually, would rather he go get a bottle of water back stage or something during this song. During Denver 1, he got there late, his timing was off all song...he was laughing about it. He left the foot of the ellipse early..but on the way past Adam he pinched his ass. No joke, I was 3 feet away.

Larry is not a piano player. A for effort and wanting to be involved, D for exectution.

Last edited:
cmb737 said:

This is how Larry is performing for Yahweh. Playing, poorly, a midi controller with the notes for the song pasted to the keyboard stand. The four times I saw him do it, he was passable once. It is really embarassing actually, would rather he go get a bottle of water back stage or something during this song. During Denver 1, he got there late, his timing was off all song...he was laughing about it. He left the foot of the ellipse early..but on the way past Adam he pinched his ass. No joke, I was 3 feet away.

Larry is not a piano player. A for effort and wanting to be involved, D for exectution.

U2 look more like Depeche Mode during Yaweh. Although it does make for an intresting moment with the band. I prefer Original Of the Species instead.

The Depeche Mode comment is hilarious. If Bono took his shirt off during Yahweh, then it would be complete. The Depeche Mode look-a-like...not my wife's fantasy. Geez. All instruments placed on the ellipse need to be vetoed. Drums, keyboards...Larry must just be humoring them.

I edited my disc, and placed Mofo in Yahweh's spot on HTDAAB. Works well. :wink:

Last edited:
Bono's got too much in his brain...so what if a few lyrics get misplaced. I've been a fan for 15 years and I'll be singing at the top of my lungs in the car and screw something up (well, not THAT often :wink: )

I think it's quite amusing that even when new technology comes along he can't be bothered to use it properly or learn how it works. It's not that he's lazy, he's just....well, it's like what Bill Flanagan said (paraphrasing)..."Bono will tell you what he's thinking with his words, what he's feeling with his eyes, and what he had for breakfast on his shirt." Ah, to be a genius....

I much prefer the goof-ups to the repeated gestures and dedications.

And anyway, Bono's aged more than the other guys. In the Elevation dvd as they are beginning "Stay," the look on Edge's face, to me, is a mixture of concern and maybe the teeniest anxiety that Bono's gonna flub the words. But it just makes me think about his performances since the beginning, where Bill Graham described his deliberate decision to play The Fool and bascially sacrifice himself to the audience, mistakes and all. I think age has brought some of that back; Bono's so terminally uncool, so helplessly affected by what he does you just can't help but love him (well, I can't anyway). Maybe he's gotten to a point where he needs the audience to be more patient or understanding or whatever. The point is, U2 live have picked me up in ways I'll never be able to repay, so if Bono needs a crutch of whatever kind, I won't question it.

Whoa...I have no idea where all that came from. Anyway, peace!

Last edited:
Hey I completely understand it. I teach and half the time I forget to tell a class something that I told another class. Or I forget and miss a step or instruction, etc. I imagine it is similar to Bono on stage, lots of thing running through his head. Not that I am comparing myself to a rock star, but I do play sage on the stage sometimes.:wink:

faithingrace said:
Hey I completely understand it. I teach and half the time I forget to tell a class something that I told another class. Or I forget and miss a step or instruction, etc. I imagine it is similar to Bono on stage, lots of thing running through his head. Not that I am comparing myself to a rock star, but I do play sage on the stage sometimes.:wink:

glad you weren't my teacher :)

Reggie Thee Dog said:

Hello...TELEPROMPTERS USED IN U2 SHOWS SINCE 1992.

It's true.

You have proof?

(besides what some dude might have posted on a forum 4 years ago...or what you thought you saw from 100 yards away)

While this might be true, I have never seen any evidence of this. Not in any offical video or unofficial bootleg have I seen such a device used until the Vertigo tour.

If you have any photographic or video evidence please share it with us.

Thanks..

Last edited:
I must say I have seen 2 shows so far and did not notice Bono standing in front of the telepromt. reading the lyrics. Obviously it is for quick reference. Also, the first show I sat on the side way up high and watched through binoculars and did not see the telepromt but did see the set lists taped to the floor.

retro said:

You have proof?

(besides what some dude might have posted on a forum 4 years ago...or what you thought you saw from 100 yards away)

While this might be true, I have never seen any evidence of this. Not in any offical video or unofficial bootleg have I seen such a device used until the Vertigo tour.

If you have any photographic or video evidence please share it with us.

Thanks..

Find someone with a copy of "Zoo TV: Live From Sydney" and forward to the MacPhisto speech you can see the text running down the monitor in front of Bono. Clear and plain as day. I think I have a picture from Q Magazine in '92 with a picture of Bono in front of one too, if I can track it down I'll scan it. It was not a big secret even back then. I think that the book "At The End Of World" mentions them too.

What's the big deal anyhow? It was a new concert technology 15 years ago and a lot of artist use them now. Does it make Bono less a singer/performer because he has one for use now and then?

Probably most of us in the audience each night could give him all the lyrics to the songs.

If I was up on a stage, I wouldn't even remember a thing, so whatever it takes, is ok. I saw Sinatra before he passed into the blue yonder, and he had that, each song he had a teleprompter he sang the words from.

But at least Sinatra and Bono are actually singing. What if we went and it was all lip syncing.

Reggie Thee Dog said:

Find someone with a copy of "Zoo TV: Live From Sydney" and forward to the MacPhisto speech you can see the text running down the monitor in front of Bono. Clear and plain as day. I think I have a picture from Q Magazine in '92 with a picture of Bono in front of one too, if I can track it down I'll scan it. It was not a big secret even back then. I think that the book "At The End Of World" mentions them too.

What's the big deal anyhow? It was a new concert technology 15 years ago and a lot of artist use them now. Does it make Bono less a singer/performer because he has one for use now and then?

I've got the book "at the end of the world" and the video from Sydney. I'll check it out.

Teleprompters have been used in concerts even further back then 15 years. TV has been using them for at least 40 years now.

It's not a big deal, I'm just very curious because I've never caught it before.

I don't know about you all, but I think I am more in love with the band for their vulnerablities and their imperfections.
For some reason, Bono fucking up on his words sends chills down my spine, and I love him 110% all over again.

Well, I already posted my opinion but I have to post again to say I totally agree with the above statement! :yes:

If orchestras and symphonies like the Boston Pops use stands and sheet music, why can't rockers use an aid during their performances?

Bottom line-a concert is not an exercise in memorization, it's about great performers playing great songs. If Bono needs a teleprompter to perform at a high level, so be it.

I'm going WAY out on a limb here and bet that he too could stand here and recite all of his works word for word as well, but on stage in the heat of the moment, its got to be a different story.

ppl have said in this thread that they, as dedicated u2 fans, could sing the u2 songs of this tour without a teleprompter. I would disagree. I am a huge fan and when i began covering u2 I thought that it would be a simple matter to sing the lyrics. But singing along to the cds is completely different to singing without backup. Id ask anyone who thinks bono is a wuss for using a teleprompter to sing the entire lyrics of an cat dubh without prompting. it is much harder than you think

CheshireCat said:
ppl have said in this thread that they, as dedicated u2 fans, could sing the u2 songs of this tour without a teleprompter. I would disagree. I am a huge fan and when i began covering u2 I thought that it would be a simple matter to sing the lyrics. But singing along to the cds is completely different to singing without backup. Id ask anyone who thinks bono is a wuss for using a teleprompter to sing the entire lyrics of an cat dubh without prompting. it is much harder than you think

The hell you say! Not only should Bono know every single word of every song he's ever written, he should know it in 10 different languages!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So first fans complain he doesn't know every single word on every single night, and now they complain he has a telemprompter so he can get all the words?

How dare Larry not play perfectly, playing another instrument other than drums for the first time in 25 years of his career?

:up:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom