Is Bono gonna be too preachy this tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bono's shades said:

Just because Bono has to play nice with Bush and his buddies to get the help he needs for Africa doesn't mean he agrees with them politically.

If hearing about important issues like human rights bores you so much, think of it as an opportunity to get a beer or take a bathroom break.

its not that i think human rights are boring...jesus its very important to the world. i just think that maybe 9 and a half minutes is gonna be way too long and could be used to do 2 more songs that maybe we havent heard in a while.

bush is a despot, no one like Bono would ever support someone like that.

lol....please explain how bush is a despot...lets not go overboard...stalin and hitler were despots...people who hate bush make me laugh...its one thing to disagree with his policies but to hate him or as others have called him hitler is ridiculous....the man could find the cure for aids and cancer and it would be on page 48 of the nytimes. clinton getting a haircut would be on the front and hed be considered the greatest haircut getter of all time..LOL.

Last edited:
Techie2000 said:
With Bono, what you see is what you get. If you want to go to someone's concert, and not have to worry about his preaching, there is always Ashlee Simpson...

i didnt say i hated his preaching...i said i thought 9 minutes would be too much..especially when 2 songs could be done....and i said i liked his preaching during sunday bloody sunday.

i agree with rangers

and a video isnt something spoken out of emotion, coming from bonos heart

i dont mind when bono gets really into it and preaches during or before a song, it can be quite inspiring

but im a bit skeptical of a nearly 10 mintue video that will be exactly the same for every show...

Chizip said:
i agree with rangers

and a video isnt something spoken out of emotion, coming from bonos heart

i dont mind when bono gets really into it and preaches during or before a song, it can be quite inspiring

but im a bit skeptical of a nearly 10 mintue video that will be exactly the same for every show...

What will the band be doing during the video? If Bono, Edge, Adam and Larry are passing out popcorn and soda I think is a pretty good idear.

who knows, maybe they need the time of the video to set up some big special effect

the dancing person during popmart was needed to distract people as they got into the lemon

this could jsut be a good way to fill time as they climb up to the rafters and propel down from there...

Martha, you are right on with your statements!! Preach away Bono! Sing away Bono!! This is why Bono is the best front man in music history!! It's not the obvious, sex drugs and rock and roll, which of course has its place! Bono is a thinking person's band!!

i agree...let bono preach..especially during songs......like sbs and maybe walk on and pride too...but a 9 minute video just seems too much..on the boston dvd, the charlton heston thing ( which i didnt agree with but im all for people having their own opinions) only lasted about 2 minutes i think, that was more then enough. 9 minutes about a sham organization??? if hes gonna talk about the un rights, he should also bring up the iraq oil for food scandals and the fact that kofi and his piece of garbage son were taking bribes left and right from saddam and his cronies.

Last edited:
i think what follows the 9 1/2 minutes is going to be well worth the wait...

and just because bono wont be standing there talking about the issue 'from the heart' it doesnt mean they had nothing to do with the layout, planning and contents of the segment...i think its something they would have checked, double checked and altered as to how they want it to appear...

Stop criticizing Bono! They want to voice their opinion on something, let's listen to hear what he has to say. C'mon...you're going to a u2 concert, you expect Bono just to shutup, stay on the stage, and just sing the songs. This is what separates u2 live from other bands live.....THIS IS WHAT THEY DO! They incorporate current events and other topics in and around their songs to make the greatness of a u2 concert.

unosdostres14 said:
Stop criticizing Bono! They want to voice their opinion on something, let's listen to hear what he has to say. C'mon...you're going to a u2 concert, you expect Bono just to shutup, stay on the stage, and just sing the songs. This is what separates u2 live from other bands live.....THIS IS WHAT THEY DO! They incorporate current events and other topics in and around their songs to make the greatness of a u2 concert.

Someone hasn't read the last 4 pages of the thread:shame:

if u were reading what i was saying...ive said about 50 times now that bono should preach..i agree a lot with what he says...especially when he does it during the song...i just think a 9 minute video is too much. were not criticizing bono (at least im not). were criticizing a 9 minute video.if u arent addressing that to me then sorry.

If it were a 9 minute video about how the UN is a nest of serial rapists, child killers, and genocide fans, would you still object? The sensationalist, propagandistic tone of your comments about the UN makes it hard to take seriously the idea that it's really the length of the film that bothers you.

It's U2's show, and their right to use the time as they wish. They have no obligation to conceal their political views for your sake. If you object to paying for a show that features some views you don't agree with, you can always choose to express your dissatisfaction by not going.

yes i would object if it was 9 minute video denouncing it...i think 9 minutes is too long...now if it were a 4 minute video denouncing the un then it would be perfect...LOL. i think the concept of the un is noble and im sure when it was created and the human rights declaration was created it was great. but recent events have made me think the UN is not very important anymore. trust me..its the 9 minute length of any video.

and if you would take the time to comprehend what ive written, youll see that ive said bono should preach more and i agree with a lot of his politics..im not asking the band to conceal anything...

Last edited:
If any of you watched what recently was said in the TED speech you would see that Bono isnt very impressed with the US politicians at the moment and what they have actually done in Africa, because they havent done much lately.

because the irish politicians and others have done so much???? with all that is going on in the world after 9/11 u think africans giving each other aids is the top priority?? the taliban, the IRA, IRAQ, and other things in the middle east are taking priority over that.

and what could us politicans do? go over there and beg the savages to stop having unprotected sex and raping each other left and right and everything else? and then if america punished the aids spreaders in africa, people would badmouth bush and america and say were the antichrist and everything else.

the us politicans dont have to do anthing when it comes to aids in africa. im sure bono registers very little to america or the average american when it comes to topics like that. even ones who voted for kerry. i bet many politicans all over the world laugh when hes campaigning for money for aids infected africans when hes got more money than most people in america or other countries who can barely get by. and for all of u who say republican politicans dont do anything, i havent heard one liberal democrat mention aids or anything in africa. the only time it comes up is when bono gets out of his limo and starts preaching about it.

hey bono u want 10 bucks from each struggling american for aids prevention in africa?? sell your hotel or mansion and u can give africa 50 million dollars. id love to see what money bono has given to the cause compared to most people or us politicans.

while i feel sorry for what is going on in africa, especially the kids, how much money has america and the american government given only to see it wasted and not have it improved anything. you saw bono on bill o reilly and he basically made bono look like an idiot..telling bono how much america has given and it was a waste of money. and how much money from live aid was wasted and never received by the people who needed it.

dont get me wrong i love u2 and everything and nothing will make me stop listening to them because the songs are so good and bonos voice is unreal. but when people start force feeding u2's politics and opinions down peoples throats they sound ridiculous. i wonder how many people would feel the way they do about topics if bono didnt feel a certain way.

i shudder sometimes when i think of certain obsessed u2 fans. if bono told them to go assassinate the pope they would. just because bono told them to. and thats very sad. another thing that is funny is if bush or ronald reagan did a speech and it included a 9 and a half minute video on the UN rights declaration, no one here would even give a shit. they would even spin it some way to say bush is bad for having shown the video.

Last edited:
Val said:
It is what it is. A love fest that spills over to the rest of the world. If you go to see U2, expect to leave with a message whether it's presented in song, or film, or live broadcasts. There's no stopping Bono, so I wave my white flag and tag along. Gladly I might add.

Excellent post, do you know that its me that you're describing in the last two sentences, its excactly how I feel about u2!

NYRangers78 said:

and what could us politicans do? go over there and beg the savages to stop having unprotected sex and raping each other left and right and everything else?

:huh:

NYRangers78 said:

i shudder sometimes when i think of certain obsessed u2 fans.

i think it is fair to say that your comments might make certain u2 fans shudder as well.
you are making it pretty clear why you would be so offended by a human rights video.

who said i would be offended by the video??? i said it would be boring...never once did i say id be offended by it....i really do not know where people are coming up with that....please scroll up and if u can read, point out where i put id be offended.

Last edited:
Here is the link to Bono's speech at the TED conference:

http://www.ted.com/tedprize/

I have not followed this thread completely, but as a U2 follower of nearly 25 years and as someone who has seen Bono talk several times in the last few years on Africa and his work with the world's politicians and as a person who is an active volunteer for The ONE Campaign, I can't agree with NYRangers78.

I NEED SOMETHING OTHER.... :bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

jamila..fair enough if u dont agree with me.. we all have our own opinions..:)maybe i was harsh in my post above about aids and africa....i salute bono for what he is doing...i just dont get why people can blame or get mad at US politicians. what are the african politicans doing about it? what are other countries doing so much more than america that bono or others arent impressed with america.

and what could us politicans do? go over there and beg the savages to stop having unprotected sex and raping each other left and right and everything else? and then if america punished the aids spreaders in africa, people would badmouth bush and america and say were the antichrist and everything else.

your whole post is just ewwwwwwwwwwww

Amazing you go to U2 shows.

i wasnt talking about the average law abiding african...i was talking about the ones who rape and commit the attrocities that is leading to the widespread aids epidemic. maybe i should have been clearer. dont paint me as some horrible person.

this year is the first u2 show ill be going to...im very excited.

Last edited:
Jamila said:
Bono can preach to me anyday.:yes:

Because when Bono preaches, he tells the Truth - he opens your heart to the possibilities available in life.

When Bono preaches, he tries to uplift us all and to find ways to bring us all together, no matter where we live in the world. :wink:

In fact, I'll be disappointed if Bono doesn't preach.

It's one of the main things I love about him so much.

I NEED SOMETHING OTHER....:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

I feel the same way and I'm sure there are many others with the same viewpoint. To me Bono is worth listening too. His messages are full of hope, and he is letting you know that we can do something to help or change the world. There is nothing wrong with that.

Back
Top Bottom