Interesting post about the Ellipse policy and the band

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm lucky if i get in this weekend. Now about the lottery, I'm not sure I like it. Given my circumstances.... Im going with a group of 5, and we're all gonna want to get into the bomb shelter. And what if four of us get in and one is singled out?

:huh:

i've read a couple of accounts where groups of 3 have been allowed in, after pleading with security. so, i'd recommend that you have the tears ready to go in case you're in that situation... ;)

seriously, tho, good luck!!! :)

Please see my next post, and interference is doing well these days. Double post bonanza for me lately. Great!

Last edited:
As I said before, don't be too pissed if you don't get in, its actually not that great. Loads of casual fans. I found that the fans directly outside it to be the most rowdy and into the show. For the record, my friends and I have had over 50 shots at all 4 shows and only had 2 successful beeps. A roughly 1 in 25 shot. Waiting all different lengths of time and entering at all different times.

The odds are not with you, and you can almost count on not getting in. Those that do, great...but I wouldn't plan on it if you haven't gone through it yet. In my experiences it was about the 14-20 fan range where it was happening and I didn't see any close together (although I am sure it has happened). Stingray, you won't all get in. Chances are, one will get in and four will get shut out.

I am fine with a lottery, just a complete lottery.

Last edited:
HelloHelloHola said:
ok for Saturdays show, i heard someone say they went to Fridays show and immediately after that show ended they got in the GA line for Saturdays show ... that is ridiculous ... without the lottery you would have people camping out for days to get that spot ...

i

People will still be camping out to get the best spots outside the ellipse given the slim chances of getting inside. This current stupid policy we have doesn't solve that problem. It solves almost no problem at all, it's creating a bunch of new ones, and it's pissing off many people... It's crap, plain and simple.

SoCalMusicLover said:

Are you a repub? Your first sentence said it all. This is an OPEN FORUM. Everyone has the right to opinions and commentary. That includes bitching & whining. Or is this suddenly banned from the "internets" and vanquished from the Constitution?

If this subject is of no interest to you, read and reply to a different thread. As someone who waited and got in the ellipse last tour. And who had #251 for last Friday night, along with my friend, yet missed out on the ellipse, it is pertinent. I think with #251 under ordinary circumstances, I would have been inside there, and the show would have taken on a different intensity.

?????? What does your first sentence on this have to do with anything?? Not a Republican (or democrat for that matter) but that was a ridiculous statement.

Obviously tensions are running high on this. I understand that. But we are 4 shows in and the indication from the band is that its not changing. Its all the same arguments for and against all the time. Its accomplishing nothing at this stage except getting people pissed at each other. To me, it seems like its fast approaching a time to move on and just enjoy the tour. I dont think anyone is trying to stop free speech but there is a thread to specifically bitch about the tour and it almost seems like this stuff needs to start going there only. So if you want to vent (which there is nothing wrong with that) that is a good place.

Also, I wouldnt assume at #251 you would have been in. The elipse is slightly larger than the heart (although not much) but LA is VIP kingdom. Odds are pretty good you wouldnt have made it in even without the lottery. :shrug:

yeah, i've only had 1 experience so far (opening night), and didn't get in. but just outside the ellipse is very cool- LAPOE is just amazing! plus, i got to see bono crawling towards me during "an cat dubh"- that was worth the price of admission alone. ;)

you get to see all the pretty lights from further back, too... definite advantages to being outside the bomb shelter. :)

Yeah, being outside of the ellipse looks really cool for sure, I won't mind at all if this is where I end up, provided I'm on the railing. But that might require super-early lining up, right?

oceane said:
Yeah, being outside of the ellipse looks really cool for sure, I won't mind at all if this is where I end up, provided I'm on the railing. But that might require super-early lining up, right?

Not really, from what I have read people are getting there for the most part, early the day of the show. Very few people are camping out all night now. So the policy has helped, has it stopped it completely. No, but if they didnt do the lottery it was headed to completely ridiculous levels. By the third leg it would have literally been people camping out several days before the show to get into the elipse. That is completely out of control. The trend was already headed that way based on the first line up in SD before the policy was officially announced.

oceane said:

well, the outside rail actually holds a lot of people... i'd estimate about 75-100. however, the choice spots (ie, center and just to the side) are fewer... and assuming that about 1 in 10 gets into the ellipse, you'd have to get there very early in the morning for sure! :)

Blue Room said:

Not really, from what I have read people are getting there for the most part, early the day of the show. Very few people are camping out all night now. So the policy has helped, has it stopped it completely. No, but if they didnt do the lottery it was headed to completely ridiculous levels. By the third leg it would have literally been people camping out several days before the show to get into the elipse. That is completely out of control. The trend was already headed that way based on the first line up in SD before the policy was officially announced.

Oh, I never once had the intention of sleeping outside for any show, no matter how I love U2, this is a waste of time IMO!

I don't know if things would have gotten that crazy without the policy. During Elevation, there were really not that many people spending the night there, and it the end they didn't really have better spots that if you showed up early morning. I think SD was worst because it was the first show and people didn't know what to expect.

I felt that the area outside the rail was much more calm this tour in terms of pushing and shoving. I didn't have to defend my spot at all (and I was the third back from the rail) with my wife in my arms in front of me. I was quite surprised as I was anticipating a lot more of a push towards the front of the rail. The fact is that when you are within a few people of the rail it can only compact so much.

I almost prefer settling mentally for outside the ellipse as it is a great spot still and the bomb shelter crap is the biggest buzz kill you can imagine. Just don't even hope to get in, if you can do it.

I can't really, but it is worth trying. I am always disappointed. :wink:

oceane said:

I don't know if things would have gotten that crazy without the policy. During Elevation, there were really not that many people spending the night there, and it the end they didn't really have better spots that if you showed up early morning. I think SD was worst because it was the first show and people didn't know what to expect.

Well if Elevation trends were any type of indicator it was headed to the level I described. First show in Miami on Elevation the first people in line for GA formed at about 8am, day of the show. This is the first people to arrive, not when the line got in the hundreds range. You could arrive on the first leg for the most part at 2pm to 3pm the day of and still have a great shot at getting in the heart. Flash forward to third leg. Word was out on the GA situation. In Chicago, I was #20 in line when I arrived at 9am on the first leg. Third leg I arrived at 6am and I was number 175. As I was going into the first show of two in Chicago at 6pm, there were about 20 to 30 people already setting up their tents and forming a line for the NEXT show! This is the level Elevation ended at and where Vertigo started. It would have become worse most likely as the tour went along. Even if it hadnt, 6pm the day before the show is even ridiculous IMO.

yeah, i think we're all gonna hope to get in... but, like you said, it's better not to! let's just say positive things from now on- the outside of the ellipse ROCKS, especially now that all 4 members make their way down the ramp (adam apparently went all the way around the ellipse for the last 3 shows- only didn't do it for the 1st show, sadly!).

:)

Blue Room said:

Well if Elevation trends were any type of indicator it was headed to the level I described. First show in Miami on Elevation the first people in line for GA formed at about 8am, day of the show. This is the first people to arrive, not when the line got in the hundreds range. You could arrive on the first leg for the most part at 2pm to 3pm the day of and still have a great shot at getting in the heart. Flash forward to third leg. Word was out on the GA situation. In Chicago, I was #20 in line when I arrived at 9am on the first leg. Third leg I arrived at 6am and I was number 175. As I was going into the first show of two in Chicago at 6pm, there were about 20 to 30 people already setting up their tents and forming a line for the NEXT show! This is the level Elevation ended at and where Vertigo started. It would have become worse most likely as the tour went along. Even if it hadnt, 6pm the day before the show is even ridiculous IMO.

From mine and my wife's experiences Chicago and Boston GA lines were not the norm, but the exception. Yes they were long on the third leg (and extension) but I don't see how the lottery is going to change any of that. Folks are still lining up.

Chicago is the greatest U2 town in NA, imo. They are unbelievable there.

cmb737 said:

cool- i'm seeing them there on May 10th! :) never been to chicago, either- gonna have to go see a few things while i'm in town!

cmb737 said:

From mine and my wife's experiences Chicago and Boston GA lines were not the norm, but the exception. Yes they were long on the third leg (and extension) but I don't see how the lottery is going to change any of that. Folks are still lining up.

Did you read my other post? I said it wouldnt stop people from lining up early. But its going to stop MOST of the overnight camping out. That has already happened. Most people on Elevation were getting their early to get into the heart, not to fight it out on the outside tip (although there were a few). So it is going to be less people getting there early just for that reason alone.

Last edited:
Blue Room said:

Did you read my other post? I said it wouldnt stop people from lining up early. But its going to stop MOST of the overnight camping out. That has already happened. Most people on Elevation were getting their early to get into the heart, not to fight it out on the outside tip (although there were a few). So it is going to be less people getting there early just for that reason alone.

I agree, I just was saying that in different cities the camping out wasn't extreme. I camped out once on the third leg in Phoenix (because my flight got there so late the night before) and I was 21 in line. There were only 5 or 6 after me by 7 AM. Not nearly as extreme as Chicago like you mentioned.

Regardless, I am trading my GA's for seats. The floor is not worth it this tour in my opinion. If I am just going to show up at 6:30 anyway, I would rather have a seat and be able to enjoy a beer rather than the heat and cramp of the mid floor. Just me though...don't let me tell anyone else what they may or may not enjoy. :wink: MOST of the fun from the last tour was the line up anyway, a majority of my memories are from that part of the experience. That will be missed by me and to me it lessens the overall experience. I thought it was what made Elevation the success that it was.

My wife and I might be the only ones that think that...but seeing as we met in a GA line, we are biased.

Last edited:
cmb737 said:

MOST of the fun from the last tour was the line up anyway, a majority of my memories are from that part of the experience. That will be missed by me and to me it lessens the overall experience. I thought it was what made Elevation the success that it was.

My wife and I might be the only ones that think that...but seeing as we met in a GA line, we are biased.

i'll miss the GA experience as well- i met one of my best friends in line for one of the 1st leg shows (turns out we went to college together, but never met while there!). there still is a "GA experience" on this tour, but it definitely has changed- for better or worse.

sorry that the experience was so negative for you and your wife. enjoy your seats! :)

Originally posted by *Ally*

plus, i got to see bono crawling towards me during "an cat dubh"-that was worth the price of admission alone.

are GA´s more expensive then other tickets? When I purchased tickets to Gothenburg Sweden the GA´s we´re the cheapest ones. sounds really weird to me. :huh: plus, I didn´t know this at the time so I bought the most expensive ones. :scream:

I´m still pretty confused about my tickets..

Yes, GAs are the cheapest. Why? Because they don't need to provide you with a seat.

cmb, u mentioned that you and your wife didnt get pushed/shoved and it wasnt as hard to defend your spot this tour, Im gonna line up on sat with hopes of getting in the ellipse but if i dont I will be happy with the back, but my worry is the bathroom thing. Can I or my boyfriend leave and come back without people killing us? thanks for any more info.

Hi, cmb's wife here. You probably won't really have a problem going to the bathroom before the show starts, just take turns. We got our spot. I went to the bathroom and came back no problem even though there were a couple of groups behind us when I returned.

Can I just say it's the cuttest thing that you guys met in the GA line... :heart: Talk about U2 bringing the love to us all!

oceane said:
Can I just say it's the cuttest thing that you guys met in the GA line... :heart: Talk about U2 bringing the love to us all!

Why thank you. It was an amazing thing, and literally the last thing that was on my mind when I was waiting in line to see U2 was that I was going to meet my future husband, but I guess somebody was looking over us that day.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom