Interesting pic from Buffalo show... Did Bono REALLY know where he was in 1980?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The one thing that I found dissapointing was the telemprompter... Not that lyrics were posted, doesn't really bother me. But like Chizip said.. The speeches :sad: . All those emotional "spontaneous" Bono moments are scripted :sad: . The One speech is understandable... A lot of points to make. But I also saw Sunday Bloody Sunday, and a few others.

I just hope he is the one writing them. As long as they are his words, I guess it's alright...

Anyone notice a teleprompter for Rattle and Hum Sunday Bloody Sunday speech? I hope not :|

I can't remember my ATM pin number.
That guy has so much stuff swimming in his head I do not fault him for either the prompter or the notes.
I also toured the country twice and you can't remember city to city.
Jeez.
Give the guy a break.

Zooropa1310 said:
The one thing that I found dissapointing was the telemprompter... Not that lyrics were posted, doesn't really bother me. But like Chizip said.. The speeches :sad: . All those emotional "spontaneous" Bono moments are scripted :sad: . The One speech is understandable... A lot of points to make. But I also saw Sunday Bloody Sunday, and a few others.

I just hope he is the one writing them. As long as they are his words, I guess it's alright...

Anyone notice a teleprompter for Rattle and Hum Sunday Bloody Sunday speech? I hope not :|

ive heard someone wrote the zootv macphisto speeches for him, dont know about any others though

I wasn't very close, but he didn't seem to use them that much during my show. As for the speeches- of course they're scripted. It's not really a concept tour, but part of the show is, so they're trying to get the same message accross at each show. I guess. :shrug:

As for the studio one thing, it doesnt seem like that wouldn't be a very hard name to remember...maybe he gets nervous or wants to avoid embarrassing messups like saying Detroit is in Ohio or that it was the Cleveland *Bears* that got stolen. :giggle:

Oy. Another teleprompter thread (though the OP didn't start it....). :|

Dude, I can sing the same 20 songs every day, but without Bono's voice in the background, I'd probably mess up a few lines here and there, too. The teleprompter doesn't hurt. I'd rather have a teleprompter than the Walk On mess-up from Sept 20th (though it was pretty funny!).

As for the speeches, if he wants to get the same message out every night, it makes sense that he have a teleprompter reminding him of everything he wants to say so he doens't forget (though Larry probably wouldn't mind if he forgot some!).

Bono uses the teleprompter nearly half of the time on their Wanderer TV appearance.

You really have to look for it, but Bono is very subtle at it.

Have any fans been able to confirm a prompter on ZOOTV or PopMART?

u2fp

Oh, and the MacPhisto speeches----he definitely wrote those himself. There are a few scenes in the Flanagan book that depict Bono in the process of writing them & asking for opinions on the wording. :yes:

U2FanPeter said:
Bono uses the teleprompter nearly half of the time on their Wanderer TV appearance.

Have any fans been able to confirm a prompter on ZOOTV or PopMART?

u2fp
pretty sure i seen some on the dancing Zoo boot, but i couldnt say for certain, but as has been said does it really matter? i mean he really cant use it that much, and theres the proof that he dosent in how many times he has screwd up lyrics this tour, but then you will now get the people saying "well he should remember them anyway" so he cant win either way :shrug:, i seem to remember a show on the first leg i belive, where he got the name of a club wrong or whatever, and people even had a moan about that

<<Zoo boot....does it really matter?>>

If "fans" use the teleprompter as an excuse to rag on the Vertigo tour you can show them proof that Bono has had one for 12 years.

What i find funny is how Bob Dylan seems to have a near encyclopedia like memory of his catalogue and lyrics - even after a couple joints. Even any supposed mumbling is usually on course.

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:

u2fp

See, I knew the shades were there for a purpose! "I've got delicate eyes, protecting them from the lights" my arse! :madspit: They're to hide him having quick peeks at the floor! :tsk:

:wink:

Headache in a Suitcase said:

don't think i didn't know you were checking out my ass here

group.JPG

and when did i post that? :scratch:

ok, i've met/hung out with every person in that pic EXCEPT headache! :sad:

:wink:

again... my point was that the Lennon thing to music is what the Kennedy assassination was to politics... everyone who was alive then knows where they were when it happened. That was why the Lennon date, more than any other, was surprising to see needing notes as a reminder. I guess I just have this picture of the band on the plane from Boston to Buffalo talking about that night and maybe out of the 4 of them one of them might remember where they were.

Not ragging on them... just thinking out loud.

yeah I didn't see the post as ragging on them...maybe he put the note there because he knew he wanted to talk about it at some point during the show, and didn't want to forget in the whole rush of the show and everything. :hmm:

making excuses :drool:

^ :lmao:

Ruffian, if the presale hasn't started for Monterrey (I assume it's over) yet I still have the code if you'd like it :)

yeah, it's over but thank you anyway. :hug:

i was in portland when tickets went on sale and was not near a computer, and it looks like it sold out pretty quickly. but if you aren't going to use it for Japan or Hawaii then I'd love it. You can email me if you want: ruffian @ U2email . com

:wave:

If we are talking about mess ups....and sometimes being in the moment......(I know there is a thread about this too)....Bono said Rosa Marks (instead of Parks) during the Detroit show.....

.....our man has a lot on his mind....he is a great speech writer though...when he gets his words to paper...or teleprompter :D

u2wedge said:
again... my point was that the Lennon thing to music is what the Kennedy assassination was to politics... everyone who was alive then knows where they were when it happened. That was why the Lennon date, more than any other, was surprising to see needing notes as a reminder. I guess I just have this picture of the band on the plane from Boston to Buffalo talking about that night and maybe out of the 4 of them one of them might remember where they were.

Not ragging on them... just thinking out loud.

1. I was alive then. Do I remember where I was? Vaguely.

2. Of course he remembers sitting on the plane. But standing in front of 20,000 with adrenlaline pumping through you, having instant recall for lyrics and exact details of where one was 20+ years ago is a bit harder, and he's trying to make the show come off as smoothly as possible.

KUEFC09U2 said:
pretty sure i seen some on the dancing Zoo boot, but i couldnt say for certain, but as has been said does it really matter? i mean he really cant use it that much, and theres the proof that he dosent in how many times he has screwd up lyrics this tour, but then you will now get the people saying "well he should remember them anyway" so he cant win either way :shrug:, i seem to remember a show on the first leg i belive, where he got the name of a club wrong or whatever, and people even had a moan about that

He had a ghost co-writer on Macphisto speeches. I will look out on Dancing Zoo TV.
It's better he has help (he still forgets the lyrics at times, and consider all the ad-libing too) than to completely block out the words.

I'd love to see anyone remember exactly what they did on any given day, 25 years on later.

I have a Q magazine from the Lovetown tour era. There's a hindstage angle photo of Bono's part of the stage with japanese sayings(in phonetic english) and the english translation. "hello", "nice to be here", "you rock", "thank you" and "hope to see you soon".

The sign was about 4 foot square and taped to his monitor.

u2fp

maybe next tour they'll have a more high tech teleprompter to eliminate the need for the extra paper slapped on the stage at the last minute...

Back
Top Bottom