Instructions to get in the Ring?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spanisheyes74

The Fly
I heard there are supposed to be instructions to get inside the ring , supposedly on the U2 site. I haven't found them. Anyone know anything about this?
We have 6 GA tickets. Thanks :)

http://www.u2.com/tourinfo/?ct_page=door.html

General Admission, North American Shows

Now the band are back indoors for the Fall leg of the tour capacity for the 'ellipse' area - right in front of the stage - is more limited.

GA ticketholders who want a chance to get into the 'ellipse' area should read the Door Entrance Procedure.

1. Only one designated entry point (set of doors) will be assigned for the General Admission ticket holders to enter the building. All reserve seat ticket holders will be directed to the other entry points to the building

2. No line ups will be permitted prior to 9:00 am the day of the show.

3. All General Admission ticket holders will be asked to form two lines at this entry point:
a. U2.Com Presale floor Ticket purchasers
b. General Public Floor Ticket Purchasers

Please note: On shows that had a U2.Com presale, the tickets for each of the U2.Com Subscribers is identifiable by a code on their ticket. As a result of this code, each U2.Com member who purchased a presale ticket will be able to enter the venue from the U2.Com line.

4. Wrist banding and Ellipse Entry process
a. On entry, Venue staff will conduct a body search and ticket scan.
b. All floor ticket holders will then be directed past a wrist-banding table where their ticket will be marked and they will have a non-transferable general floor wristband placed on their wrist.
c. Every ticket holder will then continue along the tables to a computer scanner that will, using a random numerical process, select tickets for entry to the Ellipse
d. Each ticket selected for the Ellipse will enable both the ticket holder and a companion to enter the Ellipse.
e. Each selected ticket and ticket of their companion will be hole-punched upon selection and they will be directed to the Ellipse wrist-banding table where they will receive a second non-transferable wristband permitting entry to the Ellipse.
f. Those not selected will be instructed to proceed to the floor AREA.
g. Random selection will continue from the full capacity of the floor until the ellipse capacity is reached. From the first person arriving to the last person arriving, everyone - U2.Com Subscribers and general public alike - will have a fair opportunity to be selected to enter the Ellipse
h. The wristbands will provide re-entry privileges to their respective areas.

5. A tour supervisor will be available to brief the staff and answer any questions.

Also...not trying to be mean spirited or anything...but I would most certainly plan on not all 6 of you getting in. Contingency plans of who takes who are wise. This is the biggest downfall of the current policy in my opinion, what do you do when you are in a group?

Okay, thanks for the info!

So here's a question that I'm sure someone can answer.... is it better to be IN the ring or outside of it?

I would think we would get a better view of the entire stage if we stood right outside the ring, but close enough to grab Bono's hand and give him a wet kiss! :tongue: lol

Also , how early should we line up? Do the fans really get there right after 9am the day of the show?

Last edited:
To be guaranteed the outside rail you'll have to show up before 9am, maybe even the night before (depending on the city). Personally I prefer the inside, and if you're lucky enough to get in...you'd be a fool to pass it up. It's the closest you can get to a reserved spot up front on the floor in a GA setting. Once you get that ellipse wristband you can relax...use the bathroom, eat, drink, check out the opening act (or not). You can come and go from the ellipse at will and move around inside with plenty of room. You can be as close as a couple rows from the front (where they spend the majority of the show), and then move to the back rails when they're out on the ramps (without losing your spot near the front of the stage).

Compare that to the experience on the outside where after waiting maybe waiting 18hrs in line you have to run to the floor to grab a spot on the rail and then be stuck there another 5 hrs...not being able to move and having people pushing on you all night. Given a choice the answer is obvious to me that inside is better than outside, but then I don't go to a U2 concert in order to kiss Bono's hand...so maybe you feel differently.

Here's GA/Wristband instructions from the MGM Grand for the Vegas shows 11/4 and 11/5

U2
Friday-Saturday, November 4-5, 2005
Venue Guidelines

In order to provide a safe, friendly environment during the November 4-5, 2005, performances of U2 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena, please adhere to the following venue guidelines implemented for festival seating (general admission, standing room only on the floor). Please note that there is a zero tolerance policy for activities or actions that endanger other guests. If you are unable to respect and adhere to the guidelines below, you will be asked to leave the performance without a refund. Thank you for helping us provide each guest with a safe, memorable concert experience.

A line for festival seating access (general admission, standing room only on the floor) will form at 4:00pm on Friday/Saturday, November 4-5, 2005, no sooner. Concertgoers loitering in the area of the Grand Garden Arena prior to 4:00pm will be asked to leave. A single line will form inside Studio Ballroom A&B, located on Studio Walk across from Diego Mexican Restaurant, at 4:00pm. Once inside Studio Ballroom A&B, your ticket will be verified, marked and a wristband for floor access issued. Moreover, the barcode on your ticket will be scanned using a computerized random number generator. A percentage of tickets scanned will result in access to the Ellipse area closest to the stage. If you are randomly selected for festival seating inside the Ellipse, you will be issued a second wristband and can be accompanied by one guest. At approximately 6:30pm, the line from Studio Ballroom A&B will enter the venue and onto the floor. All guests are required to pass through metal detectors.

The following items are prohibited in the festival seating areas:
 Alcohol, bottles or cans;
 Cigarettes and cigars (smoking is limited to the arena lobbies, only);
 Knives (this includes small pen-knives and Swiss Army style pocket-knives);
 Chains, studs or studded clothing;
 Aerosol cans and nail clippers;
 Backpacks, purses and fanny-packs;
 Banners, signs, gifts, stuffed animals, beach balls etc. (any item deemed by management as a potential projectile is prohibited);
 This is merely a partial list of prohibited items and all decisions are at the discretion of management and venue security. If you arrive to the venue with a prohibited item(s), you have the option of returning the item(s) to your room, vehicle, or deposit in a secured trash receptacle, thus forfeiting possession. Prohibited items will not be accepted, held, stored or checked by venue personnel.

The following actions and activities are prohibited inside the venue or surrounding hotel areas:
 Body surfing/swimming;
 Stage diving;
 Slam dancing;
 Moshing;
 Climbing on or around bleacher seating and railings;
 Fighting;
 Underage drinking;
 Illegal drug use.

Carek1230 said:
The following actions and activities are prohibited inside the venue or surrounding hotel areas:
 Body surfing/swimming;
 Stage diving;
 Slam dancing;
 Moshing;
 Climbing on or around bleacher seating and railings;

When's this from? 1992?

yeah umm line up way before 9am. i got there at 7isham for the oct 3 boston show and was already 86th in line. luckily i got in the ellipse, securing me a front row spot :) the ellipse is obv the best place to view the concert, but if you don't get in being outside on the rail is pretty awesome too i've heard. you still have to be like under 90 to get right on the rail...i have ga tix to the dec 4th show in boston and even though it will be FREEZING at that point of the yr i plan on waiting starting at like midnight the night before. i want to be first in line, so that even if i'm not lucky enough to get in the ellipse again, i will be able to be front and center on the rail!

hope this helps! have fun!

karina

I'm amused that they consider stuffed animals projectiles. What if we all just decided to start chucking little bears at Bono? :ohmy:

It sounds like the Vegas shows are going to be crazy, with the official line up only starting at 4. I'm picturing more than one unofficial line forming off-site, and the two lines having huge problems merging when they move outside the venue. Maybe there will be a rumble! Who wants to be Sharks, and who wants to be Jets? I'm not going to Vegas, so you'll have to sort this out among yourselves.

BonoIsMyMuse said:

It sounds like the Vegas shows are going to be crazy, with the official line up only starting at 4.

Yeah, I was told by the MCI Center in DC that the line there can't form until 5PM. What kind of crap is that?! So not going to happen!

I don't know the concert schedule off hand, but when I went to the last TO show (Sept. 17) ppl started lining up immediately after leaving the Sept. 16th concert. I got in line at 11:30pm and was #35, which is great...but just maybe a heads up if they are playing the night before at the same arena to keep an eye out for SUPER early birds!

Back
Top Bottom