Institute?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

unotreehill

The Fly
Hi,

Going to the 12/5 Boston show. Institute with Gavin Rossdale is opening. Has anyone from the previous shows seen Institute? How are they? Please tell me they sing some Bush songs, otherwise, I'm not sure I want to catch them.

Thanks for any feedback.

They did do a couple Bush songs when I saw them in Atlanta, but I thought they were awful anyway. I've never seen anyone look that awkward on stage.

I saw Instiute on their solo tour this summer. They play some Bush songs (changes often). Their new cd is awesome....everyone should check it out. My favs on their cd are Seventh Wave, Animals Attack, Information Age.

I agree about the awkwardness. Lots of "prancing" going on...and humping of equipment. I was unamused and, being in my sweet spot just off the rail in the ellipse, I think Gavin could tell. He yelled at us while he was doing a little guitar solo thing right in front of us. I have no idea what he said. I really did try to like them, but I just couldn't. He is very pretty, though.

I know they don't have the same fancy PA system that U2 has but the delay was distracting to me. It was just so weird that I could hear them hitting the strings of their instruments before I could actually hear the sound from the stacks.

U2dork said:
I agree about the awkwardness. Lots of "prancing" going on...and humping of equipment. I was unamused and, being in my sweet spot just off the rail in the ellipse, I think Gavin could tell. He yelled at us while he was doing a little guitar solo thing right in front of us. I have no idea what he said. I really did try to like them, but I just couldn't. He is very pretty, though.

Yeah, I kept cracking up at Gavin's "dancing"/"prancing"/"jumping". Someone might want to look into attaching his shoes to the floor. On the screens it looked ok when being filmed from the waist up, but watching him actually do... whatever that attempt at rhythym was... was rather laughable.

The band itself? Blah. When I went out to the merch table during their set (about halfway through, I did give them a shot!), everyone kept asking "Who's Institute?"

Their cover of Heroes last night (Boston 12/04) was pretty terrible. I think the Herald called it dismal or something like that. Just very dreary, which is how I would describe the music. Droning guitars punctuated by terriblly loud pinging or whining noises.

They need a flag guy, a la Damian Marley :wink:

Institute are the worst opener for U2 I've ever seen, they come off as amatuers being fronted by a has-been and they're cover of David Bowie's "Heroes" is one of the worst things I've ever heard. Sorry to be so harsh, but seriously, isn't this band just on the tour as a favor to them at our expense? No one even gives a shit about Bush anymore, why would we care about a second rate version. I usually can be more forgiving of mediocrity but the Bowie cover sent me over the edge, bring back the Arcade Fire.

I sort of nodded off when they came on last night, woke up and decided to take a hike around the building.

I guess they were ok, I don't know any of their music so who am I to judge, but it did feel nice to stretch my legs...

I enjoyed Gavin during the Net aid concert in England. I mean, how bad could he be now?

Back
Top Bottom