Important Ga Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Infinity

Refugee
Hi everybody.
I was just wondering how the GA system works. Say you get on the GA line and are #50 in line..do you have to then stay on line all day to get in as #50?, OR is it that once u get ur # in line, then u can leave and come back to the line later on and still get in as #50?

Thank you everybody

People will be pissed if you just get your number in line and then leave for a zillion hours and expect to get your spot again. No pain, no gain, but you can pee and eat like mad. Again, just don't be away from the line too long.

You make friends in line.

However, the best line I was in gave everybody a number/band/whatever, that kept people from cutting with their friends later. I think most venues will be organized.

Once the tour starts, we will should see how venues are doing it this time.

Last edited:
If you leave for hours on end (assuming there isn't a lottery) I'm not letting you back in line. Not to be mean...but we're not gonna let people take advantage. I am sure I won't be the only one.

<--very good at shouting people down.

cmb737 said:
If you leave for hours on end (assuming there isn't a lottery) I'm not letting you back in line. Not to be mean...but we're not gonna let people take advantage. I am sure I won't be the only one.

Exactly. I have caused many a scene while waiting in lines for concerts...I hate cutters and disappears and I will not stand for it.

Besides, waiting in line isn't bad at all. In fact, it is half the fun. Some of the most interesting stories I have from concerts are from waiting in line.

I used to think the same thing about waiting the whole time. That was until the last two Springsteen tours. The GA lines there were run exceptionally well by a few fans who kept a list of names and wrote numbers on each person's hand. That way, those who arrived first were actually first to get to enter, and there was a way to actually tell who was a cutter and who wasn't.

It also made things a whole lot nicer, in that we could "check in" early, enjoy whatever city we were in for a few hours, and come back and have our spot all set. Surprisingly, everyone, in every city, was agreeable to the whole situation. The venue staff all appreciated it (after taking the time to understand it) and it made for a great two tours. It's pretty much the "norm" now for Bruce shows, whether during a regular tour, or just for a specialty show.

Perhaps its success was attributable to higher percentage of "older" people in the Springsteen fanbase. I guess with U2's success at continuing to pull in younger fans, this tour is going to have to deal with the attitudes of people who are willing to sit all day in the rain and wind (or hot sun or whatever) to feel like they're bigger fans. I had that attitude at one time, so I understand it. But the fact of the matter is it only makes you a cold & wet (or sunburned & fatigued) fan, not a bigger one.

I hope some smart U2 fans will learn from the Springsteen GA example and get something organized for this tour. Copping an attitude about waiting in line all day would be a regression to a disorganized past with the ever present danger of chaos. It's one thing to talk tough on the internet, and another to actually confront a "cutter" whose willing to throw down. When everyone has agreed to a system, and has numbers marked on their hands, it's a lot easier to identify and deal with such a problem.

If you establish yourself for a number of hours to the people in front of you and behind you, there is no problem leaving for 15 minutes and up to about 1 hour a few times during the day. Getting a "number" and then not coming back until the doors open is not fair to those that waiting there the majority of the time. If you suddenly appeared in front of me, I would voice my disapproval. But if I saw you the majority of the day and you disappeared a few times to eat and use the bathroom, even shower, change, whatever, you would be fine in my book.

ThisIs40 said:
I used to think the same thing about waiting the whole time. That was until the last two Springsteen tours. The GA lines there were run exceptionally well by a few fans who kept a list of names and wrote numbers on each person's hand. That way, those who arrived first were actually first to get to enter, and there was a way to actually tell who was a cutter and who wasn't.

It also made things a whole lot nicer, in that we could "check in" early, enjoy whatever city we were in for a few hours, and come back and have our spot all set. Surprisingly, everyone, in every city, was agreeable to the whole situation. The venue staff all appreciated it (after taking the time to understand it) and it made for a great two tours. It's pretty much the "norm" now for Bruce shows, whether during a regular tour, or just for a specialty show.

Perhaps its success was attributable to higher percentage of "older" people in the Springsteen fanbase. I guess with U2's success at continuing to pull in younger fans, this tour is going to have to deal with the attitudes of people who are willing to sit all day in the rain and wind (or hot sun or whatever) to feel like they're bigger fans. I had that attitude at one time, so I understand it. But the fact of the matter is it only makes you a cold & wet (or sunburned & fatigued) fan, not a bigger one.

I hope some smart U2 fans will learn from the Springsteen GA example and get something organized for this tour. Copping an attitude about waiting in line all day would be a regression to a disorganized past with the ever present danger of chaos. It's one thing to talk tough on the internet, and another to actually confront a "cutter" whose willing to throw down. When everyone has agreed to a system, and has numbers marked on their hands, it's a lot easier to identify and deal with such a problem.

This sounds great! It would be great to see some kind of "check-in" system where you could sign-in, go sightseeing, then come back later in the day to line up to go in.

I'm going to three shows, and doing the GA thing for the last one. But 2 of the shows are out of town. I'm only there for 3 days, and I'd rather spend the day sightseeing, then spend the day sitting outside the arena hoping that the line is handled in an orderly fashion, etc. I guess it's cause I'm in my 30s now but I really have no desire to wait outside all day in the rain, sun or wind, trying to outdo the other "bigger fans".

Dumb question, but I've never done GA before.

If you get GA but don't queue soon enough in advance, what's the worst case scenario?

My friends aren't willing to wait in line for hours on end, so maybe we should just try to get the best seats?

Or if you score a GA ticket, will you always get a good view, no matter how when you arrive, even though it might not be right at the very front?

is there still NO confirmation on what system will be used for GA? will it depend on the venue? (for instance on TM the Toronto arena states clearly that it will be random same day draw, whereas other arenas do not say this) OR, is it a band decision? is it possible that it will be different for each show?

i suspect NO one has these answers and i'm just freaking out like everyone else- i guess we wait till the tour starts to find this out

UltravioletU2 said:
Dumb question, but I've never done GA before.

If you get GA but don't queue soon enough in advance, what's the worst case scenario?

The worst case scenario is that you will be at the back of the GA section (obviously). You'll still be closer and have a better view than most of the people in the seats, and have more room to move than being packed in near the front.

If it's true that the GA only holds about 2,000 each venue then you won't be far away whatever time you turn up.

Thanks! That answers my question.

My friend thought the worst case scenario (being at the back) would be horrible, but I was thinking that it would still be better than a lot of the seats out there.

Thanks again!

One more thing...

Is it really pushy and shovy and crowded in the GA? I've been to concerts I've loved but been jostled around so much it pretty much ruined it.

There is no pushing in the oval/heart there might be one bad apple at each show. This ain't Metallica, Korn, Slipknot or Ozzy.

I actually had an ugly situation when I drove 10 hours to Chicago (from Canada) by myself for the last tour.

I ended up getting a cheap motel room (which had a bellhop with a peg-leg) because I heard there was no overnight sleeping (which I found later was false) and ended up oversleeping and arriving in line at about 9:30am. I chatted with the others around me for a few hours and then stepped out for a quick lunch, gone no longer than 25 mins. The people at the front of the line had decided to take charge and hand out little cards with numbers (which I'm all for) but I was missing when they did so. The couple I was chatting with originally never mentioned this to the card guy, and when I got back I stayed in my place for the remainder of the day and when they came around and checked cards of course I didn't have one. I could hardly scream my situation over the many many angry people who were PHYSICALLY trying to force me out of line and to the back. The most shocking part was that nobody I had waited in line with all day would stick up for me. It wasn't until security got involved that people quieted down enough for me to explain what happened to the hundred people around me who eventually accepted it.

My situation was just bad timing. Providing you're in line most of the time and step out for short "mother-nature" breaks only, you should be ok. But anything over 1 hour and you will most likely run into trouble.

I managed to go to 4 shows last tour, 3 in Canada and the 1 in Chicago. There were similar situations at the Canadian shows, but nowhere near the same level of physical intimidation. People definitely do not tolerate people who jump line, just be sure to resolve any issues in a civil way and respect those around you.

I imagine it will be a bit crowded in the front... I've been in pits for Metallica, Incubus, Linkin Park, No Doubt, and Garbage and survived all with no injuries. They really are not as bad as everyone imagines... I am soo excited... I think I might go to Staples and camp out right now.

Back
Top Bottom