If you got into the Ellipse in TO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

silver girl

The Fly
What time did you get in line? Did you have FAN tickets or not? Were a lot of people getting scanned in, or was it rare?

Did they let anyone into the ellipse just before U2 whose ticket didn't scan, but they waited by the opening of the ellipse to get in?

I got in tonight.

The odd thing is that from about the high 60s to the 80s nearly EVERYBODY got in. Very few people from the front got in. We were standing in line with 10 people and we ALL got in. Very strange.

Front row between Edge and Bono. (I was 2-3 people away from Bono, actually, so closer to him).

I had a, well 2 FAN tickets including my friend, and was scanned fairly early on (i arrived at the ACC at 8:30 am)... neither of the tickets were for the ellipse.
methinks there is a conspiracy :p
anyway, we still had great spots, so i cannot complain!

I got in, didn't get in the lineup until about 5pm (because I had to work) and was probably slightly farther than half-way through the line.

I was lucky enough to win the lottery and get into the ellipse, but had to wait for my friend to come from work to meet me, so I stood behind the table waiting for him for about 30 minutes... I couldn't tell who had presale tickets and who didn't because by that point both lines had merged, but it was random. And a 'yes' or 'no' wasn't pre-programmed into the tickets either. When they ran out of wristbands, they told the people to turn the laptops off and point everyone else towards the floor.

I saw some people complaining about line jumpers etc., and while line jumpers would get a better place on the floor, it in no way increased their chances of getting into the ellipse, unless they were so far back in the line that there would have been no wristbands left for them.

So based on all I saw, I would say that pretty much everyone in the GA line has a chance of getting into the ellipse, unless you arrive really late (after 6pm)... although now that people read this and word gets around, that might change.

Didn't get into the ACC until about 7:30 PM. 4 people in our group, all fan tickets and mine was the only that scanned for "Heaven." Had heard someone say there was about a 1 in 4 chance and that proved to be about right. Was directly in front of Edge, about 3 people back.

I can't understand the need to get into the ellipse. Sure it's cool to be that close, but honestly, the best standing view is actually outside the ellipse at the barrier at the tip of ellipse. At least you get to see the whole show, you aren't turning to see Bono, you can look up at the screens over the stage (kinda) and the curtains look pretty sweet dead on from that range.

When I was in the states, I saw three concerts, one from behind the stage (which is a great view if kinda wierd), once from inside the ellipse, and finally from outside the ellipse at the position described above. The third view was hands down the best, although there was a little crushing.

Btw, I'm from the uk and saw eight outdoor gigs, standing at all of them. The best position there is on the barrier at the one of the b-stages positioned at around 4 o'clock. This means you can still see the other B-stage. I prefered Edge's stage because he was on fire, but on Adam's side you get Bono at Sometimes, Larry and of course Adam.

I pitied the people who after queing all day ran straight to the front of the stage, my god the european stage must be at least 8 foot high at the front, their necks must have been awful sore.

anitram said:
I got in tonight.

The odd thing is that from about the high 60s to the 80s nearly EVERYBODY got in. Very few people from the front got in. We were standing in line with 10 people and we ALL got in. Very strange.

what time did you line up at the ACC?

Roland of Gilead said:
I have been saying all along, the later you go, the greater the odds of getting into the ellipse.

That's not true. From every time I have witnessed the ticket scanning process, it does seem to be absolutely random, so the odds are not greater later on. Plus there are some instances (like last night apparently) where they actually ran out of wristbands and stopped scanning people at a certain time.

I have seen two or three people get in in a row, as well as sometimes ten people in a row NOT getting in, and this, at totally different times and places in the line. There is no pattern. It's random, period.

Last edited:
the number i was told was 1 out of every 6 gets into the ellipse... the selection of that, however, is completely random... could be 4-5 in a row that get buzzed, could be 10 in a row that don't.

also, they have to leave empty room for "vip's" in the ellipse, so it's not filled to capacity with actuall fans who've waited all day.

popshopper said:
I can't understand the need to get into the ellipse. Sure it's cool to be that close, but honestly, the best standing view is actually outside the ellipse at the barrier at the tip of ellipse. At least you get to see the whole show, you aren't turning to see Bono, you can look up at the screens over the stage (kinda) and the curtains look pretty sweet dead on from that range.

When I was in the states, I saw three concerts, one from behind the stage (which is a great view if kinda wierd), once from inside the ellipse, and finally from outside the ellipse at the position described above. The third view was hands down the best, although there was a little crushing.

Btw, I'm from the uk and saw eight outdoor gigs, standing at all of them. The best position there is on the barrier at the one of the b-stages positioned at around 4 o'clock. This means you can still see the other B-stage. I prefered Edge's stage because he was on fire, but on Adam's side you get Bono at Sometimes, Larry and of course Adam.

I pitied the people who after queing all day ran straight to the front of the stage, my god the european stage must be at least 8 foot high at the front, their necks must have been awful sore.

I agree. I'm not into standing in line all day so I go late. I was at both extremes for the 1st leg. 2 shows back of the floor and 1 in the ellipse. I enjoyed all three shows equally. Getting in satisfied my curiosity and it's a cool vantage point, but not worth obsessing over. I did get scanned in late in Chicago (around 7:30pm with no one in line), and I saw it happen later on. I think there is something to going late but not before they stop scanning. That happened to me as well.

People who didn't get into the ellipse should keep an eye out. I didn't get beep to get in the ellipse but I spotted security on the floor first 3 songs giving out wristbands and I was lucky enough to get one.

cheers

I hear they've changed the design of the wristbands. Any truth to that rumor?

In my case, I arrived in line around 7pm and made it through the doors around 730. The guy 2 ahead of me got in the ellipse, next person no, then a yes for me. Took a second for that to sink in, as I had prepared myself for the opposite.

It was a phenomenal night for a fan of 15 years- to be that close was something I have never had, and will always remember. The crowd was very into it - too much so for the 6'5" drunk lumbering giant next to us, but there was enough room to find a different spot. It's almost strange to see them that close - it's like they go from these icons you see from a distance to, well, 4 guys.

Any pictures from people in the ellipse would be very appreciated.

KJ

I might have been the person who got into the ellipse just ahead of you :) I was in right around 7:30. Should have lots of decent pics from the ellipse shortly. Send me your email address and I'll send some you're way.

I heard them say they had 6 wristbands left when I got mine, that was just after 7:30 PM.

That would be very cool, thanks. Decided not to bring the digital camera but obviously regretted it later...

email ksjones@sympatico.ca

I was on Adam's side about 4 people back, so I'm on the hunt for any shots that may show us....but I'd love any you have.

Thanks again,

Kevin

I was wondering last night if it wasn't an entirely 'random' selection procedure...I'd be interested to hear if more u2.com or former propaganda members (like me) managed to get in...meaning that maybe the tickets are preselected and the purpose of the scanning is to compare your ticket to that preselected list?

Contrary to popular rumour, unless you have a specific 'ellipse', security will not let you into it, you have to go through about 5 separate security ppl to get into the ellipse.

I got in the line at about 12pm but my ticket didn't get the ellipse, the process seemed completely random, so who knows.

I was lucky enough to get an ellipse wristband as U2 just got onstage. It was really amazing. The best part about being in the ellipse is that you don't have to worry about ppl squishing you or pushing, it was really easy to move around and get a good view of them all walking around the runway (great photo-ops).

silver girl said:
where on the floor did you see security handing out wristbands? did they hand them out during Dashboard, or U2?

We were 15 feet in front of the mixing desk, I think it was arenas security that was handing them out he had a light blue shirt. He had 25 blue bands they were good because I got in. I am guessing they did it because of the VIPs big shots that stay for 3 songs then leaving making the ellipse not as full so they try to fill it back up.

BlondieInTO said:

I was lucky enough to get an ellipse wristband as U2 just got onstage. It was really amazing. The best part about being in the ellipse is that you don't have to worry about ppl squishing you or pushing, it was really easy to move around and get a good view of them all walking around the runway (great photo-ops).

Gotta say....this is sooo true. I went to the Toronto show with my girlfriend. She's a fan...but not an Uber fan like myself. For my 12th show....I've manged to get into the ellipse once for my first show of the first leg. For Toronto 1....I was 126th in line. Our tickets did not scan for the ellipse. I'm a big guy...so I wasn't worried about crowd and pushing. But my girlfriend was being pushed a bit because we ended up right in front of the Love and Peace drum.

I've been in the heart 3x for Elevation...1x for Philly. I didn't consider the possiblities of not getting in for Toronto I. I had a great time....but from the perspective of a woman experiencing a U2 show up close....she admittedly told me she would have preferred seats.

I have tickets for Toronto 2,3 and 4. I am NOT lining up for 2 and 3......just coming in when I can. I AM lining up for Toronto 4.

Managed to meet Bono and Adam.

I can die now.

Back
Top Bottom