IF the shows are General Admission...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iamagnomethief

The Fly
So, if the US shows turn out to be GA (which I certainly hope for) how long do fans usually camp out to get front row? A couple of days?

I am more than willing to sleep on the streets...I have done it before (not for U2 though...)

RYAN

Very few people camp out more than one day at the max 30 to 60 people after 2 a.m. the day of the show. Front row can very from show to show. About 20-25 people were able to be front row in the heart. I had front row twice during the tour and every single time I was in the heart. I bet you will be freezing at the Bradley Center show which I filmed my only Metallica show back in August.

Last edited:
I hope rather than lining up for a day/hours, they hand out braclets, that way it's arena organized and not fan organized. Too often you have multiple lists, cheaters etc......throwing a wrench in to the equation. If they use the braclets, it is very organized.... Springsteen has done it for the past two tours and it worked great.

Yeah, I also hope they hand out numbers or wristbands or SOMETHING! Dishonest, cheating fans are the absolute WORSE!!

I really want front row for at least one show...so I PRAY these shows are GA!

RYAN

One thing I can say is they can fit more people on the floor and in the building if they do go the way of General Admission......

I guess we will find out soon.........

iamagnomethief said:
Yeah, I also hope they hand out numbers or wristbands or SOMETHING! Dishonest, cheating fans are the absolute WORSE!!

I really want front row for at least one show...so I PRAY these shows are GA!

RYAN

This does not happen with U2 fans. Only the Old Geezer Springsteen Fans screw up the GA list (thats why Bruce has GA lotteries and everyone that does GA for U2 does not want a GA lottery to be in place). If they did do a GA lottery I would be glad to give out the #'s of 2 people who started this GA line dishonesty and cheating which lead to U2 fans suffering. By the way some shows there might be people already in front of us in the Front Row. Wristbands are given out before or when you enter the arena. Most wristbands do not have numbers. To all the arena's I've been to in my lifetime, only Concesco Fieldhouse in Indianapolis, IN had numbers on their wristbands. Plus the last tour U2 gave out wristbands with their own design not the plain wristbands that you can get at a Party N Go place.

Super_Fan said:

This does not happen with U2 fans. Only the Old Geezer Springsteen Fans screw up the GA list (thats why Bruce has GA lotteries and everyone that does GA for U2 does not want a GA lottery to be in place). If they did do a GA lottery I would be glad to give out the #'s of 2 people who started this GA line dishonesty and cheating which lead to U2 fans suffering. By the way some shows there might be people already in front of us in the Front Row. Wristbands are given out before or when you enter the arena. Most wristbands do not have numbers. To all the arena's I've been to in my lifetime, only Concesco Fieldhouse in Indianapolis, IN had numbers on their wristbands. Plus the last tour U2 gave out wristbands with their own design not the plain wristbands that you can get at a Party N Go place.

Not exactly. Springsteen didn't do it (the lottery system) for the 1st leg (arena) leg of the Rising Tour. According to what I read, Bruce got tired of seeing the same people in the front row, night after night. Also people who were in 1 city at a show were #01 & #02 on a list in another city hundreds of miles apart for the following night. Does that sound familiar? So when they went to the stadium leg (Summer 02) they did the wrist band thing. Given out to a particular time and then the "lineup" after a # was drawn by a fan. This stayed the same throughout the recent VFC tour.

Each show that I was at for Elevation, there were #'s on the wristbands including those on the heart wristbands.....

I wish I could say U2 fans don't do stuff like that, but some do. There are plenty of people with stories about rude, dishonest U2 fans. I put up with plenty of them in Chicago in GA last tour!

Theedge555 said:

Not exactly. Springsteen didn't do it (the lottery system) for the 1st leg (arena) leg of the Rising Tour. According to what I read, Bruce got tired of seeing the same people in the front row, night after night. Also people who were in 1 city at a show were #01 & #02 on a list in another city hundreds of miles apart for the following night. Does that sound familiar? So when they went to the stadium leg (Summer 02) they did the wrist band thing. Given out to a particular time and then the "lineup" after a # was drawn by a fan. This stayed the same throughout the recent VFC tour.

Each show that I was at for Elevation, there were #'s on the wristbands including those on the heart wristbands.....

They did the GA lottery system starting in March of 2003 in Duluth, GA, The 2nd leg of the Springsteen tour. Yes because of seeing the same people and people complainting to Springsteen's management about waiting 4 days to a week in line. Only the Austin show they honored the GA list and Rochester (one of the shows I was at the last time the list went in order of line placement which I was #11 after waiting 4 days in the cold which I should have been # 1 but we let 8 kids and their parents to be in front of us) Only 2 people know the whole story me and another Big U2 Fan from New York. I still have my wristbands from the Elevation tour and there were no #'s on the wristbands. The people that were in charge in the front of the line wrote your number on your hand with different colored magic marker. Shows I was at in 2001

D..C June 14 and 15
East Rutherford June 22
Baltimore October 19
Philadelphia November 2
Atlanta November 30
Miami December 2

By the way Theedge555 did you go to the last show on the Elevation tour in Miami and if u did you got on stage correct?

Last edited:
Lisa71 said:
I wish I could say U2 fans don't do stuff like that, but some do. There are plenty of people with stories about rude, dishonest U2 fans. I put up with plenty of them in Chicago in GA last tour!

Well I have followed Bruce and U2 with no problems that effect me but Metallica after doing 34 shows this year it was easy to get the same spot show after show. Yes I encountered rude fans and dishonesty, abusing their priveilages and getting others ( which included me in trouble after following directions ) I saw and heard the bickering at the last show in Miami on the Elevation tour in the front of the line but I consider that you put your time in line or you are out of the line. Yes camping out you should get some sleep and if you are traveling and your are out of town try to get 3 hours of sleep at least in your hotel room or so max. People can't get jealous over leaving for a few but people need to waste up. You do not want to arrive in the venue running to the front and stand for 6 hours be tired and smell. I consider if you are like the first 30 people you monitor yourselves on who is leaving and coming back etc. Same for the others in line.

Baltimore GA sucked is all i'm going to say. The system was awful. People cutting in line. Seemed like too many people for GA. Also the arena staff gave out both the floor wristband at the same time as the Heart wristband. Thus, time it took to get in was longer and people who would normally go to the tip of the heart also got Heart wristbands so many Heart bands didn't get used. Was I pissed!

I went to Conseco Fieldhouse in Indy and like the number system. It allowed to go shop and eat while other people waited in line for us. Plus I got front row in the heart for that show and I wasn't even in the very front of the line. I just got lucky for when they split the line.

skjuls said:
Baltimore GA sucked is all i'm going to say. The system was awful. People cutting in line. Seemed like too many people for GA. Also the arena staff gave out both the floor wristband at the same time as the Heart wristband. Thus, time it took to get in was longer and people who would normally go to the tip of the heart also got Heart wristbands so many Heart bands didn't get used. Was I pissed!

I went to Conseco Fieldhouse in Indy and like the number system. It allowed to go shop and eat while other people waited in line for us. Plus I got front row in the heart for that show and I wasn't even in the very front of the line. I just got lucky for when they split the line.

I thought the Baltimore GA line went well. I barely got into the heart in Baltimore at #236. Well I guarantee D.C. MCI Center show will go well. Trust me the user name speaks for itself.:bow: After their debacle GA line nightmare at the second Bruce show of the Rising Indoor tour in 2002 and kicking everyone off the Railing at Metallica 2 months ago my powers speak for itself when they let everyone back on the railing and security apologized :drool:

Last edited:
as great as my experience was during the Elevation tour, i actually wish that this tour isn't GA. i really don't want to go through the stress of GA again.

mikal said:
as great as my experience was during the Elevation tour, i actually wish that this tour isn't GA. i really don't want to go through the stress of GA again.

AMEN, brother! But if they do, then that's okay too because like Martha said, I'll have my own seat. I want my own space and not have to push and shove to keep my place.

Also, I do think it's going to be worse this time around if they have it. People know what to expect this time out so they'll be camping out the first show.... it's gonna get ugly!

Lisa71 said:

Also, I do think it's going to be worse this time around if they have it. People know what to expect this time out so they'll be camping out the first show.... it's gonna get ugly!

Well its going to be Ugly for the first show and the last show of the tour of course and the first New York, Chicago, LA, and Boston shows as well. If the show is at American Airlines Arena then it will be the same spot as the last Elevation show camp out. If its at Office Depot Center (from my Metallica tour) they do not allow anyone on the property until 4 p.m. so I'll be ready for the first show.:drool:

Lisa71 said:

AMEN, brother! But if they do, then that's okay too because like Martha said, I'll have my own seat. I want my own space and not have to push and shove to keep my place.

I agree that I would prefer seats, and I am not looking forward to the GA ordeal, but I don't think that floor seating will happen.

First, I think the band enjoys he energy from the GA shows, at least partially because they know the real die hards are upfront with the best spots in the house. With seats on the floor, the connected, wealthy, business types and record execs will takeup a good portion of these seats, as they will be considered the best in the house. For this same reason, the floor seats will be the GOLD CIRCLE, or premium seats and will sell for a premium price. Clear Channel loves to divide these premium seats up even further and charge outrageous amounts for the first 10 rows.

Thus, in the end, I think it will be better and cheaper for us diehards with GA. I am just praying for some sort of wristband system. If I recall, the lines in Boston and Providence did not generally reach more than 300-400 by 5pm. Thus, if they did some sort of drawing around 5-6pm, most people could get in the heart (or whatever they use this time) or good spots outside the heart without waiting in line all day (or overnight).

Johnovox said:

First, I think the band enjoys he energy from the GA shows, at least partially because they know the real die hards are upfront with the best spots in the house. With seats on the floor, the connected, wealthy, business types and record execs will takeup a good portion of these seats, as they will be considered the best in the house. For this same reason, the floor seats will be the GOLD CIRCLE, or premium seats and will sell for a premium price. Clear Channel loves to divide these premium seats up even further and charge outrageous amounts for the first 10 rows.

EXACTLY! I HATE Clear Channel.

I really hope this does not happen (seated shows) GA is the only chance we (the fans) have to get relatively close...unless you want to pay $1000+ when the scalpers put the tickets on e-bay...

RYAN

iamagnomethief said:

EXACTLY! I HATE Clear Channel.

I really hope this does not happen (seated shows) GA is the only chance we (the fans) have to get relatively close...unless you want to pay $1000+ when the scalpers put the tickets on e-bay...

RYAN

Only if you are (the user name posting this reply message) you can beat those scalpers about 99% of the time :D . :bow: :drool: These scalpers are fans like us that do the presales, buy off ticketmaster machines and the person or store working the machine or they pay people in line to buy tickets. Clear Channel is now doing auctions for certain shows with seats and GA they did 50 spots for Van Halen on each side of the stage . Ticketmaster might set up auctions for the special heart or circle area for the front of the stage for this upcoming U2 tour depending on the stage setup and how the GA Floor will be set up or divided.

Last edited:
looks like we'll have GA with no seating again, Adam said on u2.com:

"We are going to take a lot of things we learned on last tour and bring them forward a bit. Certainly we like playing indoors so we will start out like that but move outdoors for Europe in the summer. We are going to try and preserve the standing room concept so that people on floor will still be standing, not seated
We will also try and bring back into it some video information like we have had in the past, like on POPMART perhaps … we had some video content on the last tour but not so much. This time we will increase it a bit.
But essentially, the manifesto will be to keep that pure, musical approach that we had on the last tour."

good stuff

i was like 180 at baltimore, and was outside, but i had a spot on the edge of the heart. my little bro was at the tip and caught bono on a stage dive, so that was worth the while of waiting since 6am. what can ya do? still a grand show. we heard the band practicing please through the walls of the arena. that was kinda cool. also cool to hear them break that one out. great, powerful song. especially given the state of the days..... - scottyT.

Johnovox said:
First, I think the band enjoys he energy from the GA shows, at least partially because they know the real die hards are upfront with the best spots in the house.
<snip>
Thus, in the end, I think it will be better and cheaper for us diehards with GA.

Careful there, I consider myself a diehard (I logged over 25,000 miles following the band here and in Europe last tour) but will in no way camp out for GA. It's not right to categorize like that.

Sorry but my English is not very good!

What is this thing with "General Admission" and camp because of that...? Could someine explain me the whole thing please? What does General Admission mean...?
Thanks a lot!

Zoovation said:
Sorry but my English is not very good!

What is this thing with "General Admission" and camp because of that...? Could someine explain me the whole thing please? What does General Admission mean...?
Thanks a lot!

General Admession basically means the first person that gets there gets the best seats, and so on :up:... so the earlier you get there the better your seats are going to be.. so that's why people would camp out over night. :D

scottyT said:
i was like 180 at baltimore, and was outside, but i had a spot on the edge of the heart. my little bro was at the tip and caught bono on a stage dive, so that was worth the while of waiting since 6am. what can ya do? still a grand show. we heard the band practicing please through the walls of the arena. that was kinda cool. also cool to hear them break that one out. great, powerful song. especially given the state of the days..... - scottyT.

Well besides my horrible GA experience at Baltimore. It isn't good to be short at the tip of the heart when there are people in front of you. I wasn't too please to see people at the tip who had bands to go into the heart. GRRRR!

Hearing them soundcheck Please thru the walls of the arena was cool! And I did get to meet the band before the show and the soundcheck. All four of them came out and signed autographs. And they signed a lot of them. They went down the whole row.

I will to at least one GA depending on where and when it is. I live in DC now so....... The energy of a GA concert is great and inside of the heart was amazing. Not a lot of pushing there but outside was another story.

However, I'm glad that other people had better experiences than me. I've had my good along with the bad.

I found it extrememly easy to get great floor "seats" on the Elevation Tour. Only once was I in line 15+ hours before the show (and that obviously resulted in front and center) but for every other show I got there a few hours before gates opened and never got worse than "2nd row" and frequently "1st row" at the outside tip of the heart - the best place to be in my opinion. And just for the record, I attended MANY shows on the last tour so I'm not giving this advice with only having seen two or three shows.

Even with a packed G.A. line, nothing changes the fact that 90% of them are not huge fans anyway and they go straight to the beer line once they get in.

I say pick one show where you really want to make it happen - i.e. being dead center underneath Bono against the barricade, and then take it easy for the rest.

james

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom