I thought Europe's crowds were going to be so much crazier then N.A. but

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JR#9

The Fly
In reading all these reviews of the 1st 3 shows it appears that large portions of the crowd simply don't get into it.

Happened in the States as well where a handful of people won't sing and/or move to the music but I just thought it was funny after all the crowing about how great the European crowds are that they don't even seem to be matching the NA excitment.

Perhaps its b.c. no pop and barely any zooropa songs are played.

than again i dont believe in the notion that only europeans love Pop/Zooropa. I myself am a big exception to that rule

well i was at manchester last night and where i was it was full on crazy! i mean the group of 30 or so of us did not stop jumping/singing and dancing for the whole 2 hours! it was amazing!

andyuk said:
well i was at manchester last night and where i was it was full on crazy! i mean the group of 30 or so of us did not stop jumping/singing and dancing for the whole 2 hours! it was amazing!
yeah so were we, we made the 2nd tier bounce, got quite scarey at times!! Some people sat near us stayed sat down all night, they looked totally bored!!! They looked about 16, maybe they were made to come by their U2 fan parents! I just can't believe that anyone can just sit there and not join in???!!!:huh:

well i was at manchester as well and where i was (near the front of the barrier on the pitch) it was very boisterous to say the least. plus everyone was singing to all the songs (not so good when one particular girl was miles out of tune).

it wasn't very well organised though inside the stadium. still, adds to the atmosphere!

i think we're all just a little crazy. saw a philly show with a friend. i was dancing, singing ... he said i went into a "U2-induced trance" for 2 hours. a few times i looked over, and he was smiling and singing a bit, but i was worried that he wasn't having as much fun as he should have.

afterwards, he told me it was, by far, the best show he's ever seen. something to the effect of, "that was really fucking awesome."

so, don't judge someone simply because they don't get completely possessed by Bono's voice for 2 hours and act as if they are at some kind of revival meeting (like i, and i assume most on this site, do).

Irvine511 said:
i think we're all just a little crazy. saw a philly show with a friend. i was dancing, singing ... he said i went into a "U2-induced trance" for 2 hours. a few times i looked over, and he was smiling and singing a bit, but i was worried that he wasn't having as much fun as he should have.

afterwards, he told me it was, by far, the best show he's ever seen. something to the effect of, "that was really fucking awesome."

so, don't judge someone simply because they don't get completely possessed by Bono's voice for 2 hours and act as if they are at some kind of revival meeting (like i, and i assume most on this site, do).
you correct, people just enjoy the shows differently than others, i was halfway back at manchester and people around me were going nuts singing, and dancing,

I think it's easier to make the whole arena audience go nuts, compared to making 60.000 in a stadium do the same.
It's a fact, that the longer you're away from the stage, the more probable it is that you'll take it more easy, and since more people are far away from the stage in stadiums, its not surprise that the crowd is different. That is not to say, that the backrow cannot be into it - I just saw that the other day in Gelsenkirchen.

In my opinion, the safest bet is an arena concert. But... the arenas cannot compete with the special evenings in the stadiums when the whole crowd goes wild.

Last edited:
I have watched the SD 1 DVD....
I don't think that north americans were crazy and singing and dancing as well...
Only the guys in the ellipse were dancing and only during Streets everyone was mad...
Not to mention that girl dancing like it had take drugs during SYCMIOYO...

Totally depends whichh country you're in and which venue. I've seen U2 all over Europe over the last 20 years and there are countries that are much better to see them in than others.

Ireland obviously is always a corker. London can be good but can also be full of tw*ats so it's depends on the night. Germany has always been excellent. Spain excellent. I've also found there will be random excellent gigs for no apparenty reason, same as in an arena. You can't explain it it just happens. The venue can make a massive difference in my opinion. If everyone has a good view and the sounds ok then it will tend to be better. Also if it rains it tends to be better because everyone has made such an effort all day getting wet you sort of feel you deserve it more when it starts.

This is all in my opinion but every country and city always thinks it's the best but that's simply never going to happen.

Stadium or Arena - both can be equally brilliant - both can be equally disappointing. Just go and enjoy yourself!

was at manchester last night and i thought the crowd inside the ellipse were not rowdy enough. i went mad for a few tunes especially electric co and knocked into a few people and they were lookin pissed off. chill out its front of stage at a fuckin rock gig.
btw they dont let enough people into the front, too much space, therefore loses intensity
all in all a good gig, have a feelin england is not the best place to see a concert though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom