I just saw 'City Of Blinding Lights' from Milan...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
WOW.

There's something about that performance that sticks out at you... I don't know what it is, but it's really special.

And Hamish doesn't constantly switch shots like has before. He's actually toned it down quite well, the shots flow accordingly, and there is a good share of audience and band footage.

It's NOTHING like the Chicago DVD at all... :ohmy:

have you seen the VERTIGO clip that's on U2.com?

OMG... that was bad... those like triple zooms at Adam and EDGE...

now I see why people don't like Hamish

PS: youtube's COBL is charging... so I'll see it soon

That's the 2ND vertigo... I think it's to show the 'craziness' of Vertigo X2.

pepokiss said:
have you seen the VERTIGO clip that's on U2.com?

OMG... that was bad... those like triple zooms at Adam and EDGE...

now I see why people don't like Hamish

PS: youtube's COBL is charging... so I'll see it soon

Well I don't like the triple zooms, I'll agree with you there. But I love Hamish.

What I like about him is that he generally captures the feel of the songs really well. I thought a lot of the cuts on that Vertigo-Milan video were great. It was frantic and fast paced..like the song (especially when it's the closer).

I like that he tries different things. All of his shows have seemed to be a bit different. Sometimes it doesn't work (a la Chicago) but sometimes it does (Elevation Boston & Slane).

I'm just glad he's not sticking with stagnant shots of the band.

edit: also I cannot WAIT for the Milan DVD. I think it's gonna be the best of the bunch.

Last edited:
Wait, is there something wrong with still shots of the band? I mean, that's what you see when you go to the concert afterall.

well there's nothing inherently wrong with them. It's just...boring.

I think, when used sparingly, they can provide good use. Sometimes you have to break away to get a full shot to show the scope of it all. But otherwise I'd like for the director to be creative in their use of the camera.

I'm not saying spazz out...when it gets too frenetic then that can have negative results.

And no "still shots" aren't what you see when you go to the concert after all. Well maybe if you're stuck in the nosebleeds, but generally (especially when down on the floor)...you're looking all around you, turning your head..focusing on different areas of the stage/band.

I've seen some still shot/tripod bootlegs of shows I've gone to and it's not even close to the same. The energy of me being there and always looking at different places and jumping and moving around was WAY more intense than it looks from a static shot perspective.

And that's what I want a show director to do...capture the energy of the moment.

The use of the camera can be essential in portraying/amplifying the emotion of a show or song.

Take AIWIY from the PopMart Mexico show. When the band kicks in and Bono belts out the first loud "all I want is YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU" the camera mimics this by starting close on bono and then soaring up and out into the crowd. It definitely adds to the song in my opinion.

Last edited:
IMO, the COBL Milan Hamish work is different(and better) than most of the other work I have seen from him. He is thankfully using some new transitions, effects (e.g. slo-mo), lighting, and camera placement. Some of the camera angles make you feel like you are on stage with the band as opposed to in the crowd. Bono singing to the camera is new(for Hamish). And there is an additional artistic element - e.g. with the balloon rising and the B&W freeze frame. I think Hamish is getting it now.

Last edited:
The black and white freeze frame is great. All in all, the transitions are a bit more flowing - which I think is nice - but I don't think this will affect all songs. Finally, this may not be the "final cut," nor is Vertigo video likely to be the one featured on the DVD.

God Part III said:
The black and white freeze frame is great. All in all, the transitions are a bit more flowing - which I think is nice - but I don't think this will affect all songs. Finally, this may not be the "final cut," nor is Vertigo video likely to be the one featured on the DVD.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. The DVD is a long way off :)() and there's plenty of time for editing.

Also I don't think people who have zero experience in editing really realize what it takes.

I just finished editing my 6 minute short film and it was a pain in the ASS. Editing a 2 hour concert (on the fly as well) would melt my brain.

Yeah. I do short films and documentaries as well - and music editing proves even harder. There is a piece in my film about going to Berlin that I synced with Zoo Station - I think the 4 minute song took 8 hours work, at an amateur level.

It looks really professional, which is kinda cool because there hasn't been a real professional DVD out since POPMART...

I wonder how the rest of the songs are gonna look...

If COBL was like this, then Streets is gonna be cinematic!

I just watched it as well. Toned down a couple of notches from how the song was more aggressively performed in the Chicago DVD. Not sure which style of this song I prefer (probly won't know for at least a year of watching the two dvd's) but I definately like the way Hamisch was more under control in this video. Here's to hoping we get a lot of wide shots throughout the Milan DVD.

theu2fly said:
It looks really professional, which is kinda cool because there hasn't been a real professional DVD out since POPMART...

I wonder how the rest of the songs are gonna look...

If COBL was like this, then Streets is gonna be cinematic!

Despite being a fan production, the Slane DVD looks very professional though.

The thing I don't get about Hamish is that the 2001 U2 Brit awards is some of the better TV clip by the group. Bono hired HH after that performance to direct the groups future DVD(s)

Why can't HH repeat his editing like he did on the Brit awards?

U2FP

P.S. - Has anybody here seen the Mysterious Ways performance clip from that show? I think it was only broadcast on the 1st UK airing

Well, given the experience he has now, and considering Slane was better than Boston, I expect good things from Milan DVD.

Back
Top Bottom