I have a feeling that Kayne West is going to be booed...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gen. Chat said:
I. Mix in the Black Eyed Peas and that show would kick ass. I just wish that artists and fans alike would leave their ideological baggage at the door and for a couple of hours so we can just be one and paaaartaaaay but that being said I’d love to be at the SLC show to see if West “keeps it real” with that crowd. :evil:

Black Eyed Peas opening :drool:

:up: :up:

scottyT said:
yeah gabriel, i decided to see if i could find another copy of it which had more feed. that station is ridiculous. my appologies.

nono no apologies needed...its an opinion...i listen to FLOW occasionally cause I have kids...but from an old school original hiphop head's point of view, 90% of what they play is pure garbage...and not because there's nothing better to play, they are just catering to that bling/gangsta crowd without having a pulse on what the real crowd wants...even my 10 y/o shuts it off in disgust sometimes lol

but apart from the college stations, which are really very good but only at certain times/days of the week, FLOW is all we've got for now..

thank god two of the other mainstream stations have actually started playing a true variety of rock/pop/hiphop/rnb/reggae (well sean paul reggae lol) even if they do get a bit repetitive in their playlists - its nice to hear all of that all mixed up...i like to hear it all in moderation :)

Black Eyed Peas = pop

Like at MSG, these guys behind me were like 'wtf is this this isnt rock' (to Keane)

I laughed, shrugged, and agreed with them..I said 'nope, not rock at all...its pop, and unabashedly so'

they had to laugh...just revel in it for what it is...pop..that my 10 and 6 y/o's love to groove too so heck why not :)

Don't get me wrong - I loooooove me some good cheesy pop. But for reasons I can't quite put my fingers on, the Black Eyed Peas just rub me the wrong way.

"Annoying" is a good way to describe them, yes. Their fake little names, Fergie trying to pass herself off as a 29-year-old hottie ...

Oh, sorry.

Looking forward to Kanye! :up:

I dont listen to much rap but I saw Kanye in Philly at Live 8 and it was pretty good.

I can assure you he will be better than Kings of Leon that is for sure- god did they suck!!

scottyT said:
rampages. "drugged out" was wrong of me to say i don't know that. i didn't mean drugs, i meant to imply incoherency. i appologize for any misconceptions.

i suck at spelling. look up his tirade on toronto radio, or whatever the heck he was babbling about on the katrina benefit.

You're so out of touch. Kanye said that "George Bush doesn't like black people," and while it was controversial, let's face it, Bush and the African-American community are deeply at odds with each other. A Wall Street journal poll last week revealed that Bush's approval rating among blacks was TWO PERCENT. That's the lowest approval rating given to any US president by African Americans since records were kept.

If what Kanye says makes you uncomfortable, so be it, but you can't ignore the fact that he's addressing a real problem.

Last edited:
no it's not at all what i'm saying, it was the incoherency of how he said it, and the context in which he said it. i believe he's addressing a problem he sees as very real.

he wasn't addressing THE real problem, which was hurricane victims. so please calm youself. this is what i was talking about.

it's understandable the African American population feels that way about Bush when you a very prominant and influential community leaders like Farrakhan say that the government blew up the levees in N.O.

most people realize that's ridiculous, but some people believe that, rather than a hit from a giant hurricane....

Now, in this time as we as a country are trying to rebuild one of our most important and cultural cities.... building up should be what's being done, not breaking down.

context. context. context.

this has strayed so far from the original topic, of him getting booed. i don' tthink it's going to happen. he's a musical powerhouse, and does have some great things to say, so let's hope that he can win/earn himself a few new fans at the shows.

seriously booing anyone off of the fact that it's a different genre of music than you're used to is stupid. no one in philly booed Marley, although it was quite different than to be expect at a rock show, people still listened, and danced and had a good time, or just came in a little later if they weren't interested.

Kanye will do himself well at these shows.

Lyrical Drug, let's be mature and fantastic U2 fans here, and agree that we agree on most of this issue, because i think we do.

i am just not thrilled about how out of place those comments were. i have no problem whatsoever with addressing real issues, just in doing it in a more tasteful/appropriate way.

scottyT said:

it's understandable the African American population feels that way about Bush when you a very prominant and influential community leaders like Farrakhan say that the government blew up the levees in N.O.

most people realize that's ridiculous, but some people believe that, rather than a hit from a giant hurricane....

That's a passive aggressive way of saying that you don't agree with Kanye's message (which many blacks agree with) that George Bush has ignored the needs of poor Americans, which tend to be disproportionately black.

The Bush administration cut funding for rebuilding the N.O. levees, which is about as bad as blowing them up, in hindsight.

So don't be so quick to dismiss Kanye's message, is all I'm saying.

anyone ever happen to listen to kayne's lyrics?

i'm not a rap/hip hop fan at all, but kayne is def one of the few i surely RESPECT. his lyrics aren't just about sex, violence and the projects, instead he incorporates religion and politics...jesus walks anyone?

my point is that kayne is a real class act and deserves at the very minimum a high level of respect...any one who is lucky enough to have the opportunity to see him open up for u2 should be ready to be happily surprised.

karina

When I heard that Kanye West would open in Portland, for which I have a ticket, I was shocked! I couldn't believe someone this big would be an opening act, & that I could be so lucky to see 2 amazing acts on one night!
Now don't get me wrong, I don't know that much about Kanye but what I have heard I like.
Now wouldn't it just be something else if he brought Jamie Foxx along to do his Goldigger backing vocals?:happy: :happy:

karina23, i do listen to his lyrics, and that is why i was originally disapointed in his Katrina benefit actions. i know he's upset, and that African Americans are disproportionally poorer in America, but i would have hoped he'd have acted in a more positive way. i know i'm on defense now on this board which sucks because i was a huge Kanye fan before the hurricane, and now i'm just hoping he comes through. i love the fact that he has a positive message and is more uplifting than a lot of hip hop/rap now. i enjoy his music, and i love the work he has done with other rappers.

to say i'm dismissing his message regarding what he says lyrically is wrong. to say that i disregard what he says when he says George Bush hates black people might be right, because the president has appointed more African Americans to the court and to office than any other president in history.

i don't for a second agree with cuts in funding to education, or to the levees, but to say that is akin to blowing them up, is to ignore the fact that the Lousiana state legislature has cut funding for years as well, and initially didn't agree with the plans the Army Co. of Engineers initially had....

either way, i would like to see Kanye succeed. as i've said about 4 times now, which as nothing to do with passive agression, is that i would have liked to see him reach out rather than lash out.

i'm sorry my opinion here is so offensive, but i think that it is valid. and the reason it bothers me is because i actually like Kanye. i enjoy the fact that he is a rapper who has a fantastic message across the board. i want to see him succeed, and i hope that this is the proper opportunity for him to do so.

i work at a camp, and we actually used Jesus Walks as the basis for a Bible study there.... so it is pretty clear that i read the lyrics and like the guy, i was just really dissapointed in those two aspects.

i would much rather have had him open than mr. marley, because i actually own and listen to mr. west's music often, and i am not a huge reggae fan.

i'd have enjoyed it much more.

and to say i'm ignoring his message...
i don't disagree for a second that a leveling of the playing fields needs to happen. i just think there's a better time and a better way to do it. Kanye is a master of lyrics.... the way he put it dismisses his talent, and didn't for a second do him justice.

karina23 said:
anyone ever happen to listen to kayne's lyrics?

i'm not a rap/hip hop fan at all, but kayne is def one of the few i surely RESPECT. his lyrics aren't just about sex, violence and the projects, instead he incorporates religion and politics...jesus walks anyone?

my point is that kayne is a real class act and deserves at the very minimum a high level of respect...any one who is lucky enough to have the opportunity to see him open up for u2 should be ready to be happily surprised.

karina

I don't doubt that some of his lyrics are well thought and meaningful. My 19 year old son tells me he really likes Kanye and say I should really listen to his lyrics. I simply don't care for "rap style" music....the beat just gets under my skin, but I've tried to listen. Kudos to the young man for writing songs that are not filled with sex, drugs, violence.

However to say he is a class act, that he deserves the high level of respect I disagree with. As a fellow human being I respect him, and knowing full well we are very different I respect that and would only hope he would reciprocate. Respect is something earned especially the high respect that you make reference to. Kanye West is a young artist with his whole life ahead of him. He has chosen to do and say some things in the public eye that have not been very wise, i.e. he should not have opened his mouth and inserted his foot......so I disagree that he "deserves" high respect and is a class act. Let's see how touring and entertaining the public go with him, see if he can continue to put out decent good lyrics and music for some time. THEN yes, I will get in line to agree he deserves the high respect and that he is a class act. I just don't see either at this early point in his young life and career. :wink:

valid point scotty t...some of kayne's statements latley have been a bit 'off the wall.' however, just because he might have political statements that one disagrees with, doesn't make him any less of a performer or artist in general.

though i do not agree with kayne on some issues, i applaud his effort to take a stance he truly seems to believe in and speak out...not many artists have the depth to do that nowadays.. especially rap artists.

differing opinions is what america is all about people!! it's why this country is so wonderful! keep it in mind :)

karina

im gonna be at portland & i look forward to catching kanye.

seriously, i think the majority of the audience's at u2 shows are pretty narrow-minded. at one of the shows i overheard people bitching at previous "bad" opening acts such as the pixies & pj harvey. i was miffed they didn't appreciate being exposed to such great artists. dorks.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
maybe bono can come out and do the jamie foxx part for gold digger :drool:

Hmm, interesting thought, maybe The Edge would be better at those vocals?!!

nah i think Larry Mullen could just yell "Release, Release, Release"

or rather...

"remix, remix, remix" ....

Headache in a Suitcase said:
maybe bono can come out and do the jamie foxx part for gold digger :drool:
:ohmy: I am trying to image that one:hmm: That would be interesting:giggle: I cannot wait to see Kanye/ U2 in Omaha, I wonder how that audience will react? If they boo I will just cheer louder:rockon: :dance:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom