I have a feeling that Kayne West is going to be booed...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
u2wedge said:

I think the Super Furry Animals will be opening for the remaining shows with unannounced openers.

What are they like?

I'm not into much rap, but Kanye is quite good, and the song Gold Digger is catchy as hell. Anyone who gets to see West open should consider themselves lucky! I agree with the comments about it being a good thing that U2 has all kinds of different artists open for them. U2 has had some pretty shit opening acts over the years, but they've also had some of the best. I applaud their variety.

If Kanye cares about black people, why is he opening for a u2 audience in Salt Lake City? Just playing devil's advocate.

I may go to the Portland show, barring ticket availability, so the Kanye opening slot is just icing on the cake.

<<vancouver 1992>>

I've heard great things about these U2 shows, but that the Sugarcubes(Bjork) were given a poor reception and Public Enemy was reduced since Easy-E couldn't get across the border. I've also heard that Bjork solo was booed at opening for u2 at Wembley in 1993.

Goes to show you that u2 fandom can make some people blind and deaf.

u2fp

*listening to Late Registration again because of this thread*

:dance:

Touch The Sky is damn catchy! :up:

And:

Originally posted by U2FanPeter
I've heard great things about these U2 shows, but that the Sugarcubes(Bjork) were given a poor reception and Public Enemy was reduced since Easy-E couldn't get across the border.

:huh:

But, erm, wasn't Eazy-E a member of N.W.A. (a group from Los Angeles) and not of Public Enemy (a group from New York)? So what's the point if he couldn't get across the border?
:shrug:

Kanye said George Bush doesn't care about black people on the infamous telethon on nbc

Yes, we know that, but it doesn't explain the original comment.

Are we to read the comment as: Kanye shouldn't play SLC because he loves black people, and there are no black people in SLC?

If yes, then that's possibly the dumbest thing I've ever read, anywhere. And for someone who hangs out on the internet frequently, that's saying a LOT.

If no, then please explain what was meant, so I may apologize for jumping to the first conclusion.

Last edited:
A friend, who attended the Vancouver 1992 show, told me that one of the members of Public Enemy failed to enter Canada.

My Kanye Komment earlier in this page was just a snickering remark on how, in SLC, there will likely be more black people onstage that in the audience. It might take KW slightly longer than usual to connect with that audience.

The Portland show is unique in that Kanye will play an arena about a week before he opens for U2. The audience there should have a greater familarity with KW than the other 3 shows he opens.

u2fp

Kanye Komment - heh.

True, but don't discount the huuuuuuuge number of white suburban kids who dig hip hop and rap. Music transcends color barriers and etc. etc. etc.

I know a white guy called Pablo who doesn't like Kanye West. But he's a jerk. So don't mind that.

:uhoh:

anyone who boos kanye is an idiot. he's the only opener on this tour im looking forward to seeing (in terms of shows im actually going to)

seeing public enemy AND the sugarcubes open for u2 sounds like it would absolutely insane! what a lineup. that's why i've been so disappointed with this batch of openers, given u2's good track record. 10 years from now, who's going to brag about seeing keane (ugh), kings of leon (double ugh), or dashboard confessional <<vomits>>?

Kanye is 100 times better than the Sugar Ray rumour heard about 4 months ago.

Or maybe they will open the "missing" shows that are still awaiting the announcement of an opener.

u2fp

To me Kanye West should be THE most exciting and interesting opener U2 have had all tour. There have been some great bands, and some sh*t ones, but this is certainly the most interesting and original. It kinda looks backward to me that people get excited about a very very very middle of the road band like Keane, but pile shit on someone like Kanye. If you think U2's music has any sway or pull or cultural meaning anymore, think again, and not only that, but realise that the guy who currently has it in spades is one Mr Kanye West, and somehow U2 have got him as an opener right at the peak of that. It's an incredible combo, you are getting two Grade A, Premium concert tickets for the price of one. If you are talking the last 2 years alone, Kanye is lightyears bigger than U2 in a strictly musical sense. Way ahead. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, if it were U2's only album and if U2's whole history was within the story of that album, should rightfully be opening for College Dropout or Late Registration. So go along, you don't have to be a hip hop fan, you don't have to agree with his politics, but at least understand that you have tickets to see one of the most original, interesting, innovative and flat out exciting artists of this decade and not only that, but U2 are on after him. It's got to be one of the best concert tickets available this year.

I always used to think that U2 fans were a little bit smarter, a little bit more open to new ideas than most. I think they did too, a decent chunk of their back catalogue wouldn't exist if they didn't. If anyone is ignorant enough to boo Kanye West, that is an incredible shame in more ways than one. If anyone in here is standing near someone who boo's, could you please throw a punch on my behalf, because I'd kill to see that double billing - I think everyone in the building is extremely fortunate. Remember, for a long time U2 were the type of band that actually had a hell of a lot more in common with Kanye then they would with a band like Keane. Things change, but hopefuly fans can recognise that in him, the band clearly do.

Earnie = Jesus...?

Something like that. Preach the fuck on, brother!!!! I love it when somebody tells it like it is...

...Even if Kanye really sucks as a live MC. :wink: Great music, but the poor guy has no stamina, yet. Go see Outkast and you'll know what I'm saying.

Still, everything you say is correct. CLEARLY the best all-around bill of the year, as far as major acts go.

U2FanPeter said:
A friend, who attended the Vancouver 1992 show, told me that one of the members of Public Enemy failed to enter Canada.

My Kanye Komment earlier in this page was just a snickering remark on how, in SLC, there will likely be more black people onstage that in the audience. It might take KW slightly longer than usual to connect with that audience.

The Portland show is unique in that Kanye will play an arena about a week before he opens for U2. The audience there should have a greater familarity with KW than the other 3 shows he opens.

u2fp

Jeez every single thing you said has little basis in any fact and more to do with how you perceive people's record buying habits. Who do you think is buying all those Kanye albums? Black people??

In other words, pretty much everything you wrote is pure BS and conjecture.

LOL

The 'reduced' Public Enemy - I love it.

gabrielvox said:

Jeez every single thing you said has little basis in any fact and more to do with how you perceive people's record buying habits. Who do you think is buying all those Kanye albums? Black people??

In other words, pretty much everything you wrote is pure BS and conjecture.

LOL

The 'reduced' Public Enemy - I love it.

Are you seriously telling me that SLC(with it's religious, racial and political make-up) sells as many Kanye CDs as any other US metropolitan area of the same size?

u2fp

I've seen Kanye live, and he's excellent...I doubt more than a handful of idiots will boo.

Then again, if they did...Kanye is big enough by now that I seriously doubt he'd give much of a shit :)

And re: the Bush thing, he's a bit off...Bush doesn't care about PEOPLE, black or white :( Dubya'd probably boo, speaking of idiots.

Of the 4 cities KW is playing with u2, which do you think will give him the best reaction? (A question which is closely related to hte initial question in this thread.)

Back
Top Bottom