How was the Chicago DVD reviewed in your country?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Man

ONE love, blood, life
In my, yimou's, God Part III's, merc's, beachball's (am I forgetting someone?) country one of the biggest newspapers gave their review the following subtitle:

Soulless, Insipid and Superfluous.

The reviewer's major complaints are:

• This DVD doesn't at all capture the power and experience of a U2 concert (it is compared with Croke, which he attended)
  • The editing is awful. Way too many close-ups of their faces instead of instruments/stage/crowd etc.
  • U2 is a lot more rock'n'roll than this. So leave this DVD at the store.

It got 2 out of 5 stars :sad:

Last edited:
that review is the best i've seen. it's true, the dvd isn't good. and each of his points are correct. we don't have to like everything u2 puts out. lets just hope that the Milan DVD is released, because it's fantastic.

You have to consider that not all reviews are good of course! Only the big newspapers and music magazines are truly honest about their opinions...

That's why I'm waiting on the Oor review (the biggest and best music magazine in Holland, former employer of Anton Corbijn) and read what they think...

A local U2 forum here said: first review of the new DVD - 4 out of 5. Best part is, without a doubt, Original of the species and it's interesting to see U2 make mistakes (during Elevation, for example) and it was the right decision not to leave those out. Unfortunately we can't rate the second disc yet. Pretty good sound (strong bass).

Last edited:
Review from a Croatian U2 forum:
VERTIGO//2005 -U2 LIVE FROM CHICAGO (Super Jewel Box Edition - 1xDVD9)

In the fall of last year, U2 released "How to dismantle an atomic bomb", announced as a "masive" rock album, filled with guitar riffs. Announcements were overreacting and another typical U2 album saw the light of day. Everyone at least a bit knowledgeable will know this means an album with one or two massive rock songs, a song here and there for the masses, and a few easy songs with lots of emotions that hit the audience straight into the heart. As always, the album was followed by a tour that started in North America in the end of March.
Chicago had its turn too, in this first North-American part of the tour, a city where U2 got its first serious experiences in the start of the 80ies.
Being familiar with the fondness and appreciation that the chicago audience has for them, the Irish decided to film their performance in the Windy City. U2 has played 4 nights in Chicago (7., 9., 10. and 12. of May), but they only chose the shows from 9. and 10. May for filming. (by the way, 10. May is Bono's birthday!)
The concert itself is, as always with the biggest band in the world, a healthy mix of theater and rock concert. It is important to mention that from 4 people in their age, we can no longer expect the crazyness and coolness they had on Zoo TV or Popmart shows.
The maturity and unwillingness to risk showed itself on the setlist too, which is virtually totally expected or, to be mean, a bit boring. The reason is, it has songs that U2 has been playing for years (which is not necessarily negative, but the performance fades as the years go by...) As far as performances of the songs are concerned, mostly average and in some cases dissapointing (All because of you). However, fantastic perfomances of Electric co., acoustic Yahweh and unbelievably good City of blinding lights that opens the show, will convince you this is the biggest band in the world.
Of course, the band (mostly Bono) used the opportunity to lead the Americans on the right path again, so Bono had a moving speech that preceded the eternal One, he spent a part of the legendary Bullet the blue sky with a bandana over his eyes like a prisoner in Guantanamo but questioned it all when the dedicated the beautiful Running to stand still to, no more no less, " brave men and women in US Military" - bit confusing for me but someone will understand I guess.
The visual concept of the show is reminiscent of Elevation, except this time they added a lightbulb curtain that creates a big screen. Needless to say, this looks much more effective on stadium shows (like Europe), but the show is from an arena so the curtain is by far the best and most original solution.
Also reminiscent of Elevation tour in Boston is the way the show is filmed, but this time there's two more cameras, one following the show from the audience (bit irritating, because you can't see anything about the hands in the air) and one from the bird's point of view - exactly above the stage (exceptionally interesting!).
In the end, I would say this is another solid creation from the Irish foursome, but not the best. 17 shows prior to Chicago filming have taken their toll on the band (particularly Bono) so the performances aren't at the expected level - especially compared to shows Europe. But it has to be noted these are U2 standards, and those are very high. The show in Milan (who wil also be released on DVD soon) will surely offer us much better performances and unprecedented visual spectacle. Till then, enjoy Vertigo from Chicago.

Rate: 3,5/5

:hmm: I ordered the DVD (regular version) on the internet today - I'm not sure what to expect. In between Boston and Slane DVD, or worse than those two?

Last edited:
I have not yet seen one review in this country, oh my God we are such a backwards country. :reject:

We are more excited about our first U2 tour in 8 years.

Re: Re: How was the Chicago DVD reviewed in your country?

yimou said:

I agree 100%

:up:

I think the reviewer wrote something along the lines of "if you have attended U2 concerts in the past or on this tour and felt the magic and power of a U2 concert experience, then do yourself a favour by not letting this DVD ruin that memory for you".

thought the DVD was good, it is after all u2 performing. but it could have been so much better.

U2girl said:

:hmm: I ordered the DVD (regular version) on the internet today - I'm not sure what to expect. In between Boston and Slane DVD, or worse than those two?

I tend to agree alot with that Croation forum.

It's definitely not better than Slane - far from, but it could perhaps be put on par with the Boston DVD - a bit too similar to that one, though. The Boston DVD didn't suffer from these comparisons when it came out, which might be why it was more well perceived.

RademR said:
It's better than Boston for me. But nowhere near SLANE...

Havent seen the whole thing yet, but this is my initial take on it also. They shot Chicago to early in the tour. Chicago originally was later on the first leg until the rescheduling took place. I think they planned Chicago as the shoot before the rescheduling and decided to stick with it even though they didnt have the show down completely yet. 5-9 and 5-10 were good shows, but I think the third leg shows were better (even with the slower encore some of you despise). I think Milan is going to be like Slane was for Elevation. Looking forward to it.

I also think they need to move on from Hamish for the next tour. Just shoot a straight forward concert DVD. Look at Mexico City Popmart. Nothing artsy there, just the concert, thats what we need again (then again, we need Popmart on DVD also! :laugh: ).

Last edited:
I wish they'd go back to shooting on later tour legs, when they really get their act together.

Did they use the same director for Sydney and Mexico shows? How come they didn't go with him on later tours?

U2girl said:
I wish they'd go back to shooting on later tour legs, when they really get their act together.

Did they use the same director for Sydney and Mexico shows? How come they didn't go with him on later tours?
David Mallet... He won a Grammy for best VHS/DVD direction with Zoo-TV Sydney...

Don't know why he is left out now.. Probably because U2 were so charmed by Hamish at the Brit Awards of 2000 (or something)...

U2Man said:

I tend to agree alot with that Croation forum.

It's definitely not better than Slane - far from, but it could perhaps be put on par with the Boston DVD - a bit too similar to that one, though. The Boston DVD didn't suffer from these comparisons when it came out, which might be why it was more well perceived.

Having watched the DVD today, at the moment it's probably in between Boston and Slane, I should probably watch all three again for a more fair comparison.

The highlights for me:

- the Boy trilogy (liked the cat imitation from Bono and walking with the child around the ellipse, also I liked how the camera caught the hand shake between Adam and Edge), most of all Electric co - :edge: and of course the funniest moment of the night when Bono slams one of Larry's drums and gets a :mad: look from Larry
- parts of War trilogy (LAPOE and Bono's drumming, and the Abu Ghraib act during Bullet...)
- Zoo Station :edge:
- Adam kiss during Streets
- Adam walking around the ellipse (good to see more cameras on the non-Bono members of the band)
- enjoyed the camera view above the stage
- amazing lighting (the ellipse, the stage, the arena balconys)

Odd sound (but I will try all the sound options); at times Larry's drums are completely drowned out and Edge I think is almost too loud. Also, the crowd is at times at a very high volume and mostly very quiet. Zoo station and The fly sound very different from what I remember on bootlegs. :shrug: Some sound/video timing problems too. That said, I think it works far better as Boston as a whole being mixed out of two shows.

What I missed:
- more shots of the crowd (virtually none till Beautiful day)
- more shots of the lightbulb curtain, especially during The fly
- less fast transitions between camera angles

Last edited:
am i the only person who actually likes the dvd? :shrug: I have some minor complaints (like not enough light curtains shown), but overall I thought it was amazing. They should have put Bad from 5/7 as an extra though :drool: I do agree that waiting for a leg three show would have been better (like Chicago 9/20 or Toronto...3, was it? whichever one had DISCOTHEQUE :drool: ) but overall I'm happy with the DVD.

AtomicBono said:
am i the only person who actually likes the dvd? :shrug: I have some minor complaints (like not enough light curtains shown), but overall I thought it was amazing. They should have put Bad from 5/7 as an extra though :drool: I do agree that waiting for a leg three show would have been better (like Chicago 9/20 or Toronto...3, was it? whichever one had DISCOTHEQUE :drool: ) but overall I'm happy with the DVD.

Oh, I dont hate it. Its cool, I just think it could have been better and I think they should have shot it a bit later in the tour.

5-7-05 wasnt filmed, other than the normal taping for the screens, so that wasnt a possibility for being included. I think the extra that should have been added was probably Party Girl from 5-10-05.

AtomicBono said:
am i the only person who actually likes the dvd? :shrug: I have some minor complaints (like not enough light curtains shown)

Nope, your not alone. I actually like it too. OK I admit this tour was the first time my wife and I got to see them together so we feel like the DVD is something we can look back at and remember the shows we saw in Philly and NYC. If I could change one thing it would be cutting out the long ass speach about Bush and Blair doing more and use that time to include BAD.

Thats just my 2cents.

Chizip said:
that review will probably upset KUEF
is that really all you think of me as? seriously?, sometimes i have alot more important things to think about than if someone dosent like a DVD etc, and personally i dont care 1 tiny bit if someone dosent like it, thats upto them

KUEFC09U2 said:
is that really all you think of me as? seriously?, sometimes i have alot more important things to think about than if someone dosent like a DVD etc, and personally i dont care 1 tiny bit if someone dosent like it, thats upto them

No fighting is allowed in my thread :shame:

:wink:

KUEF, how was the DVD reviewed in the UK/Liverpool?

U2Man said:

No fighting is allowed in my thread :shame:

:wink:

KUEF, how was the DVD reviewed in the UK/Liverpool?
no idea to be fair, got 5 stars in NUTS magazine, and that was for the T.V. broadcast only

KUEFC09U2 said:

are you kidding me? you're the king of finding negative reviews on u2tours or whever and starting threads about them

Chizip said:

are you kidding me? you're the king of finding negative reviews on u2tours or whever and starting threads about them
yes maybe i was, until i decided that i have alot more things going on, than to worry about if people dont like something etc, but if people wish to carry on hating me or whatever then thats upto them

Blue Room said:

Oh, I dont hate it. Its cool, I just think it could have been better and I think they should have shot it a bit later in the tour.

5-7-05 wasnt filmed, other than the normal taping for the screens, so that wasnt a possibility for being included. I think the extra that should have been added was probably Party Girl from 5-10-05.

Definitely agree on Party Girl, and yeah, I'd much rather have a DVD of the 9/20 Chicago show, but oh well.

I thought they had filmed 5/7 to test the setup or something, I dunno, guess I was wrong. but they still should have filmed Bad :wink: :drool:

Back
Top Bottom