How was "Bad" - night 4 Chicago

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harry Vest

Refugee
Just wondering because they left it till the very end (If I'm not mistaken I beleive this is THE FIRST TIME that this has ever happened - correct me if I'm wrong). Anyways, just wondering how the version of "Bad" was. Thanks.

:drool: :drool: :drool:

Ever since I first became a fan, I've always argued against "'40'" as the ideal concert closer, saying such blasphemous things as, "When U2 plays their final show, they shouldn't close with "'40'" [or at least a "full" performance thereof], but with 'Bad.'"

Now everybody knows that I'm right.

In yo' faces.

:wink:

Seriously, though...it really was pretty darn amazing. I honestly have petitioned fellow fans to side with me regarding "Bad," over the years...I feel that if this performance is actually as great as I remember it being, people will finally join my camp. And with "'40'" being tossed in, snippet-style, everybody wins. It was fucking spectacular, even with Bono's voice as beaten up as it was. It was so amazin'.

If you shout... said:
:drool: :drool: :drool:

Ever since I first became a fan, I've always argued against "'40'" as the ideal concert closer, saying such blasphemous things as, "When U2 plays their final show, they shouldn't close with "'40'" [or at least a "full" performance thereof], but with 'Bad.'"

Now everybody knows that I'm right.

In yo' faces.

:wink:

Seriously, though...it really was pretty darn amazing. I honestly have petitioned fellow fans to side with me regarding "Bad," over the years...I feel that if this performance is actually as great as I remember it being, people will finally join my camp. And with "'40'" being tossed in, snippet-style, everybody wins. It was fucking spectacular, even with Bono's voice as beaten up as it was. It was so amazin'.

You are absolutely right!! It can't get better than that!! Last night was unbelievable!!! Couldn't pick anything better to end with!

Harry Vest said:
Just wondering because they left it till the very end (If I'm not mistaken I beleive this is THE FIRST TIME that this has ever happened - correct me if I'm wrong). Anyways, just wondering how the version of "Bad" was. Thanks.

Well, technically yes, Bad has closed before, but that was the two-song Live Aid set so I don't suppose it really counts!

I cannot wait to hear this performance! :drool:

Bad was amazing... so surprising to hear given its usually played in the middle. The best part was the way they ended it, huddled up together...amazing ender.

I found a pic of it on u2tours by a fan reviewer named Caroline:
5573-5.jpg

Re: Re: How was "Bad" - night 4 Chicago

Axver said:

Well, technically yes, Bad has closed before, but that was the two-song Live Aid set so I don't suppose it really counts!

and they were supposed to play a third song (Pride or I Will Follow...don't remember which of the two) but Bad was so long that it ended the set. Or, maybe Bono realized how killer that Bad was and walked off knowing another song would have been a let down.

Another almost closer for Bad was on the Conspiracy of Hope Tour, but they played Sun City to close the set after Bad (at least the one I was at). I'm not considering the I Shall Be Released finale as part of U2's set.

Last edited:
Roland of Gilead said:
Bad has never closed a show before. Live Aid might as well of ended when U2 left the stage though. :drool:

we would have missed a lot of great music since U2 was one of the earlier acts that day.

neutral said:

Don't try to derail threads with rude comments. I have warned you once before.

Totally off topic, but Neutral, earlier in the day you closed a thread citing the multiple forum posting. Though I agree with the rule, in this case it was a thread that would have prevented others from harm -- a 'bad trader warning' --- anyway, food for thought, as a user I'd actually prefer more exposure to threads that prevent me from a bad ticket, trading or other experiences. Maybe others do, but I rarely have time for bouncing around to the right spots.

If there is a better place for Mod feedback, please show me.

And, thank you for moderating, we do appreciate it (-:

In the forum rules about thread closures it says you can email or PM a mod if you have an issue with a thread closure. Our email addresses are in all our sigs.
Sorry and I do understand your point. The thing is, if we make exceptions to that rule for some threads, people that gets their duplicate thread closed after that are going to say, well what about that thread, you're not being fair. (It already happens. )

Could I have said the word thread a few more times? :sigh:

Last edited:
kawai17 said:
Bad was amazing... so surprising to hear given its usually played in the middle. The best part was the way they ended it, huddled up together...amazing ender.

I found a pic of it on u2tours by a fan reviewer named Caroline:
5573-5.jpg
Bono actually acted like he really wanted to play one more song. He looked at the crowd, held up his index finger and looked like he said "one more" before he ran back to huddle with the rest of the band as pictured here. I guess Larry had the final word in that decision, as it appears he's screaming "no"...or something else :censored: perhaps. Anyway, it was an amazing show!!

Just to agree with everyone else who was there, Bad was an utterly fantastic finishing song. The crowd loved it, and hopefully the band did too.

Bad was INCREDIBLE !! U2 gave a SPECTACULAR performance !!
I hope they continue with this tune as the closer, for the rest of the 1st leg tour ... 40 needs a break !!

nononononononoononononoon

i still haven't heard 40 as a closer
and i'm goin on 5/28 show
but both songs are great in my book

I'm really hoping they don't play Bad tonight in Philly so they play it next weekend. It seems to have been a second (or third, or fourth) night tune for most of the tour so far. And hell, if they throw in Until the End of the World, too, I'll be even happier!

oh my GOD!!! it's one of the best performances of Bad EVER, definitely the most original, PERFECT to end their amazing Chicago run!

WinnieThePoo said:
nononononononoononononoon

i still haven't heard 40 as a closer
40 was cool for the first Chicago show, but it was terrible for the second one. The crowd wasn't interested in singing along. That's probably part of the reason they dropped it for the 3rd and 4th shows there.

I wonder if it would work better as the finale of the main set or the first encore, so the crowd could chant away until U2 came back onstage.

Goodness me, hearing about all this greatness from Chicago 2-4 makes me wish I had just camped out there and tried to get in for those shows....I'm so excited to see the DVD with all this loveliness captured!
How did Bad last night compare to Sat's show, where I thought it was phenomenally good?

cheers all!

IT WAS FUCKIN "BAD"AAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!

WHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Sorry, still on a high from the Chicago trip)

Back
Top Bottom