How loud are U2 concerts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Halifax

The Fly
On March 24th I'll be heading off to my first U2 concert and Telstra Dome, Melbourne :combust:! After watching the Slane Castle and Chigaco DVD's to death, I can now finally see the real thing! HOORAY!

Just a few questions though: just exactly how loud are U2 shows? Would I need ear plugs to prevent my ears from temporary/permanent damage? I heard that there are these special earplugs which reduces the noise level, but does not muffle the sound, and its designed espiecially for concerts, does any know where around Melbourne I could get them?

Thanks.

The concerts are very loud.

I highly recommend using earplugs.

I have said this before here and I will say it again. I have tinnitus (ringing in the ears) and it may very well be from the first show I went to this year.

The shows I did go to subsequently that I did wer earplugs were much much more enjoyable. The music is much clearer, and you can hear every word Bono is saying (I found this not to be true without the plugs...)

At least bring them - and you can test the waters once there.

Protect your ears, if they get damaged once - it could be for a lifetime...

Ear plugs are definitely a good idea. Don't feel like a dork---if you look around you at the show, you'll see some of the more "serious-rocker-looking" audience members with them.

Part of the loudness depends on where you are. I saw two shows this tour. At the first, I was on the rail at the tip of the ellipse. COBL and Vertigo sounded like nothing but bubbling water. There were speakers almost right above me, and I swear they were pointed directly at me. :wink: The second night, I was 200 level directly next to Edge. The sound was great and I had no problems. I dunno if my ears were just trained from the night before...but I think a good part of it was my location.

Enjoy your first show!!! :hyper:

Yes, definitely enjoy your first show, it's magical! It's true about where you sit, but I was in the back and it was still LOUD. I actually had cotton in my ears and could hear pretty much the talking, it was a little muffled, so maybe earplugs are better, if you can get them.

irishdove said:
Yes, definitely enjoy your first show, it's magical! It's true about where you sit, but I was in the back and it was still LOUD. I actually had cotton in my ears and could hear pretty much the talking, it was a little muffled, so maybe earplugs are better, if you can get them.

I recommend ER-20s from Etymotic Research. I wore these to every Vertigo show I saw this year. The audio quality was improved (easier to understand Bono's ramblings) and NO next-day ringing!

They're available from lots of online vendors (bought mine on yahoo), but this one is in Australia.

Enjoy the show!

I have never worn earplugs :reject: I think its a good idea though. Towards the end of the show I sometimes end up plugging my ears for a bit just to get some relief, and its true, the music actually does sound better.

I'm taking earplugs to the St Paddys Day gig here, my ears get pretty sensitive and I don't want to bust them.

I've only been to two types of concerts: U2 and Fraanz Ferdinand. And Franz Ferdinand was much louder than U2. I did without earplugs at all 4 shows I attended, and I was upfront all the time. No problems with my ears.

DAMN loud.

serioulsly, be prepared. I went to 4 u2 shows in 2 weeks earlier this spring, and my hearing took a big hit.

I didn't find them very loud.

I went two nights in a row, the first, front rail and the second by the sound board. My ears didn't ring at all after the shows.

saw them three times in an arena, once in a stadium. Plugs are a good idea, you can also take them out for some songs. Forgot to put them back in once, and it really hurt the next day! Its also a good idea to use them for the support, sometimes.

Don't forget, earplugs take out a lot of the reverb from the venue, but at the same time, you can hear yourself sing/shout much better....

after one night in GA at MSG, my ears were ringing for two days. i used to trash people who wear earplugs but i think they have the right idea......although im sure an outdoor stadium wont be as bad as an arena

FUIrish said:
after one night in GA at MSG, my ears were ringing for two days. i used to trash people who wear earplugs but i think they have the right idea......although im sure an outdoor stadium wont be as bad as an arena

Sure, you don't have the sound bouncing off every single wall and ceiling panel in a stadium, but wouldn't it be a good idea to wear earplugs if you're going to GA (and almost at the front) in a stadium concert? (first one will be Feb. 12 :drool: )

Elevation was a much louder concert than Vertigo IMO. (either that or my hearing is getting bad!)

During the Vertigo tour I was on the front of the outside of the ellipse and front row on the inside of the ellipse. Both nights (Chicago, may 9th and 10th) I thought could have been a little louder.

Back
Top Bottom