How is the audience on the floor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RadRacer

The Fly
I was inspired by Icelle's post "ok so who was at the tip on the outside of the ellipse for SD1?" to push this into the public eye. Maybe it will help some of you compare. Icelle's experience reminded me of a Beastie Boys concert I went to in 2004, on which I wrote a little something. Here are some excerpts on the crowd (that concert was my second time in GA):

Once the performer gets on stage, there is a shove, like a wave from behind. This is an opportunity for you to move up, and if you stand yourself kind of sideways, chances are your shoulder will be pushed in between some people. The thing is, before the show, there were guys with their girls standing side-by-side behind the barriers, but now they took the girls in between their arms and they were holding on to the barrier and protecting their female with their back. Many of them did this, making it look like an impenetrable fortress. And it was. I never got in between them. I must say, it wasn't my intention to get farther ahead, but the thing I've noticed is that if you're not aggressive, you'll get pushed farther back.

[...]

All the attention you had to give the crowd kind of made the experience suck. You constantly had to watch out for the waves, and it did involve pushing against or with, or in some direction, thus exhausting you. I remember at one time having trouble finding footing, because there was less space on the lower side than on the upper, for some reason. Then, occasionally you really had to "manage" the waves, and throw in your support one way or the other. Still other times, I looked someone in the face and briefly excused myself for being pushed into them so brutally. Other times, I had to watch out for a short person, or delicate, like a female, who, honestly, shouldn't be in this environment.

[...]

Then, there were the annoying "maggots", people who would beg you for your space, or elbow in rudely. Let's be fair and separate them into two kinds: First one, the beggars. I can understand being tall is a problem when everybody who comes into the floor area thinks it's about seeing. I constantly get asked to switch places because of this. Let's get realistic, people. If we did that, we'd be at the end of the venue, in no time. It's just a simple matter of who's got the right strategy and staying power. Look at those people in front. It seems always they are smaller females. And if we take extra pains to endure the long wait, time our water and bathroom breaks well, we've earned our place, and so does everybody. It's not a first-come-first-serve, it's a test of stamina and strategy, because the first ones have to go through an arduous journey. Also, if you're open, you'll realize the Floor is about more than seeing the band up close. The greater fun potential lies in the dynamic of the moving crowd.

[...]

The violent shovers. I had observed somebody who was somewhere in the back push himself all the way to the barricades, have a heated talk with his new neighbors, and then with security, but then remaining there. It's basically a powerless situation for justice, I think. Up in front, next to me, I also had three powerlifters - well, basically big guys, the type that likes to eat a lot and push a lot of weight. They worked in tag-team and were just unstoppable. The kinds of pushes they gave, you couldn't resist. When I found the elbow of my neighbor in my side, I decided to pull out and let him deal with the pushy type. But then, one of the big guys decided he was being disrespected, so he just pushed off from the people in front of him, arching his massive back, sending a whole section falling backwards, me at the very front. It didn't hurt; it was actually fun, such a large-scale motion, but only because I had given up my intentions of being in front. These guys are a problem, I think. What is security gonna do. Security can't crowd-dive in there and take 'em out. And if all of the people just give these people their will, the performer is not going to notice that there is not a good show going on, because there'll be plenty of frenzied fans in front.

[...]

I have had guys worm their way past me, beg me, push me. I found it best to pretend I didn't notice them, and just give a kind of "soft" resistance, so they would have to work their way past me, and hopefully others, until they've missed most of the actual show. That should be their reward, so as to hopefully discourage such behavior.

I was at SD 1 at the tip of the ellipse for my first u2 show and had a pretty crumby time in GA. I waited in line all day and met some really cool people. Then I got inside and went to the tip with 2 of my new friends(Marc and Adam from Boston, if you're readin this), but through miscommunication I lost them and didn't see them return to where I was at the tip(I think they went to the right side).

I thought it would still be awesome, boy was I wrong. It started out just waiting there patiently for the show to start. I turned my head back to see where my friends had gone and this huge guy snuck in front of me. I thought whatever this is GA, it happens. Also right next to me were the asshole group of guys and girls(which people have mentioned in these two posts). The guys would use thegirls strategically to unfairly reserve spots, and the girls were just whining about the situation. I guess I became visibly pissed off because one of the girls noticed it and with her beer-laden breath and in a valley girl tone asked me what was wrong which only pissed me off further.

Kings of Leon played everything was fine, U2 come on I'm so excited my first show, there are the four men I have seen and heard so many times yet never so close to me. The adrenaline rush was intense.

However when Vertigo's getting played everyone starts pushing forward cuz you know its the new hit single, even those who have just gotten into u2 know that song. I'm jumpin around having a grand old time, sure theres some pushing and shoving but c'mon this is a rock concert. So I'm jumpin up and down and being pushed very hard forward towards the ramp and this girl in front of me doesn't like how close I am so she starts elbowing me hard on purpose in the ribs. I try to tell her this is a rock show and she needs to expect that everyones pushing around but I don't think she could hear or care, she's just busily dealing out some pain to my abdomen. After trying to get her to stop and trying to tolerate it I get furious and push myself to the right, anywhere I can go to get out of this b*tch's reach. I can't even remember Vertigo after the intro, I was furious that this woman who probably didn't like u2 a bit as much as I do ruined that song for me. I take a deep breath, and try to shut it out of my head and move on in the concert. Beautiful Day was played, I lost myself in the lyrics and forgot about my experience thus far.

Everything's going great except as I look around I notice I'm the only one getting into the older songs, nothing like the energy of Vertigo. I'm sitting there wondering why these people have GA opening night tix if they only seem to know the most recent hits. By this time I'm incredibly fatigued and feel I might pass out cuz I haven't had anything to eat or drink in hours cuz I didn't want to lose my spot in line during a bathroom break. Nevertheless I put my all in and show my enthusiasm for the songs, something few in the crowd are doing. At one fast section for one of the songs I am jumping up and down and I hear this guy yell "Knock it off!" I turn back and its one of the guys from the jerk off group of guys and girls I mentioned earlier. When I don't stop jumping up and down to the beat, he shoves me as hard as he can forward and I end up hitting a petite girl in front of me very hard. Oh man was I pissed, I felt like kicking him in the balls but retained my composure and tried to not think about him. No way was I gonna give in. I kept my energy up and jumped up and down when appropriate but still the fact he was still standing right behind me infuriated me, there was no good place for me to move now, I stayed where I was. This third experience was like three strikes and your out type of thing.

I tried my best not to think about the people around me but since I was by myself by this time it made it a lot harder to "walk on" I had no one to talk to. I hated the crowd, this was not the crowd I imagined while watching any of their live shows. I felt I was surrounded by a bunch of jerks who only knew Vertigo and probably thought "Electric Co." was a new song as well. I know this is a case of a few rotten apples, as a lot of people around me were kind enough, but these @ssholes made their impression.

I did my best to open up to the songs and U2 for the rest of the night, but I felt cheated. 3 bad apples ruined my experience, I can't really remember too many details of the show cuz I was pissed off too much, my expectation had been so much higher for my first u2 show. Of course I expected people to be rough, but to be outright disrespectful and mean at a u2 was something I did not come prepared for. I feel sorry for all those others who had similar experiences, unfortunately I am not alone here. Like Icelle stated, a lot of the time I was thinking "You f*ckers, Bono would never show his love or care to people like you."

When all my friends and family asked me how the show was, they were surprised when I said "Ehh, it was alright." I've seen and heard too many live u2 shows, though I went in trying to not let my expectations get the best of me, I didn't foresee the crowd to let me down.

The fact Bono's voice sounded helium-influenced from where I was standing didn't help the experience, nor the fact that performance was far from legendary. By the end I was fatigued from lack of food/drink plus all my expended energy and anger, I felt I was gonna collapse during 40. I hope when I see them in LA with good SEATS in the fall my experience will be better. I also hope none of you have like experiences in the future. Peace.

thefrode989 said:
I was at SD 1 at the tip of the ellipse for my first u2 show and had a pretty crumby time in GA. I waited in line all day and met some really cool people. Then I got inside and went to the tip with 2 of my new friends(Marc and Adam from Boston, if you're readin this), but through miscommunication I lost them and didn't see them return to where I was at the tip(I think they went to the right side).

I thought it would still be awesome, boy was I wrong. It started out just waiting there patiently for the show to start. I turned my head back to see where my friends had gone and this huge guy snuck in front of me. I thought whatever this is GA, it happens. Also right next to me were the asshole group of guys and girls(which people have mentioned in these two posts). The guys would use thegirls strategically to unfairly reserve spots, and the girls were just whining about the situation. I guess I became visibly pissed off because one of the girls noticed it and with her beer-laden breath and in a valley girl tone asked me what was wrong which only pissed me off further.

Kings of Leon played everything was fine, U2 come on I'm so excited my first show, there are the four men I have seen and heard so many times yet never so close to me. The adrenaline rush was intense.

However when Vertigo's getting played everyone starts pushing forward cuz you know its the new hit single, even those who have just gotten into u2 know that song. I'm jumpin around having a grand old time, sure theres some pushing and shoving but c'mon this is a rock concert. So I'm jumpin up and down and being pushed very hard forward towards the ramp and this girl in front of me doesn't like how close I am so she starts elbowing me hard on purpose in the ribs. I try to tell her this is a rock show and she needs to expect that everyones pushing around but I don't think she could hear or care, she's just busily dealing out some pain to my abdomen. After trying to get her to stop and trying to tolerate it I get furious and push myself to the right, anywhere I can go to get out of this b*tch's reach. I can't even remember Vertigo after the intro, I was furious that this woman who probably didn't like u2 a bit as much as I do ruined that song for me. I take a deep breath, and try to shut it out of my head and move on in the concert. Beautiful Day was played, I lost myself in the lyrics and forgot about my experience thus far.

Everything's going great except as I look around I notice I'm the only one getting into the older songs, nothing like the energy of Vertigo. I'm sitting there wondering why these people have GA opening night tix if they only seem to know the most recent hits. By this time I'm incredibly fatigued and feel I might pass out cuz I haven't had anything to eat or drink in hours cuz I didn't want to lose my spot in line during a bathroom break. Nevertheless I put my all in and show my enthusiasm for the songs, something few in the crowd are doing. At one fast section for one of the songs I am jumping up and down and I hear this guy yell "Knock it off!" I turn back and its one of the guys from the jerk off group of guys and girls I mentioned earlier. When I don't stop jumping up and down to the beat, he shoves me as hard as he can forward and I end up hitting a petite girl in front of me very hard. Oh man was I pissed, I felt like kicking him in the balls but retained my composure and tried to not think about him. No way was I gonna give in. I kept my energy up and jumped up and down when appropriate but still the fact he was still standing right behind me infuriated me, there was no good place for me to move now, I stayed where I was. This third experience was like three strikes and your out type of thing.

I tried my best not to think about the people around me but since I was by myself by this time it made it a lot harder to "walk on" I had no one to talk to. I hated the crowd, this was not the crowd I imagined while watching any of their live shows. I felt I was surrounded by a bunch of jerks who only knew Vertigo and probably thought "Electric Co." was a new song as well. I know this is a case of a few rotten apples, as a lot of people around me were kind enough, but these @ssholes made their impression.

I did my best to open up to the songs and U2 for the rest of the night, but I felt cheated. 3 bad apples ruined my experience, I can't really remember too many details of the show cuz I was pissed off too much, my expectation had been so much higher for my first u2 show. Of course I expected people to be rough, but to be outright disrespectful and mean at a u2 was something I did not come prepared for. I feel sorry for all those others who had similar experiences, unfortunately I am not alone here. Like Icelle stated, a lot of the time I was thinking "You f*ckers, Bono would never show his love or care to people like you."

When all my friends and family asked me how the show was, they were surprised when I said "Ehh, it was alright." I've seen and heard too many live u2 shows, though I went in trying to not let my expectations get the best of me, I didn't foresee the crowd to let me down.

The fact Bono's voice sounded helium-influenced from where I was standing didn't help the experience, nor the fact that performance was far from legendary. By the end I was fatigued from lack of food/drink plus all my expended energy and anger, I felt I was gonna collapse during 40. I hope when I see them in LA with good SEATS in the fall my experience will be better. I also hope none of you have like experiences in the future. Peace.

Good lord, just move to a new spot. I just did the first 6 shows and had no problems. You're at a GA rock show, not the opera.

wow that post is way long, maybe i made a mountain out of a molehill, but im only human those were the emotions i was feeling at the time. i moved once, i did my best to move again but honestly there wasn't too much opportunity as dense as it was and as violent as some people were

These are exactly the reasons why, when I go to a U2 gig - I buy seated tickets, no matter where they are. I go to plenty of metal gigs and experience the pits and the shoving and the pushing....and that sure as hell isnt what I want when I go to watch my favourite band play. Especially as they dont come around as often as other gigs.

RadRacer, thank you so much for the thought.

i hope you have better experiences seeing u2 in the future.

I didn't make it thru that whole post above, sorry. But I didn't notice terrible pushing and shoving at LA2. Jumping up and down, yes. Occasional jabs here and there in the heat of the moment, sure. A girl & her boyfriend behind me- I could feel her front on my back for half the show. (I'm sure if you were a guy, you would have enjoyed it). I know everyone is just trying to get the best position they can. I think it was civil where I was located. I just tried to enjoy myself and tried not jumping into others as much as possible. I have no complaints - would do it again in a heartbeat. Anyone got an extra ticket? Not to mention a plane ticket, hotel, rental car,... Oh wait, I have a job and a family. Shooooooooooooot!

Yeah, no real problems during Anaheim 1 either. We were over by Edge's side. One stoned large guy was our biggest problem -- totally toked out of his mind and spinning like a staggering whirling dervish, but not a threat.

I think there is a fine line between a zealous crowd and a rambunctious one. You do not want the crowd too demure, yet sometimes it can get rough.

In my opinion I have always thought, the rougher the better, but usually only when I was by myself.

This, of course coming from someone who has only attend much "rougher" shows on the floor and never a U2 show from the floor.

U2 and rough do not seem to make sense to me, but by being on the floor, and in an ideal spot you have to take what comes with that privalege...

Anyone who has never "gone over the rail" at a show has not experienced a really scary situation at a show...

i had no problems at all for Anaheim 1. I was one person behind the rail outside the edge of the ellipse, more on adam's side. Even when Bono came walking by, the crowd didn't push at all. I had plenty of breathing space.

I heard that SD1 was pretty bad...maybe people were a bit more excited since it was the first show. Anaheim crowd was a bit chill.

At SD2, there was a fight between some guy and gal near about 15-20 feet from the rail, slightly to the right. During the concert, the gal was forcefully making her way up to the front when the guy either pushed her or said something. the girl slapped him; he responsed by pulling her hair. everyone around me, including myself, was stunned -- esp. when Bono is up there preaching about love and peace. true story. anybody else see that?

Thank you all for sharing your experiences.

I want to reply to one of you, in particular.

Thefrode,

I feel for you. You had it much much worse. You actually had somebody tell you "Knock it Off!" when you were HAVING and PROMOTING having a good time, and then all that physical violence.

In the case I rendered, above, it was the Beastie Boys and I wouldn't even call myself a fan; I just like 'em enough to see 'em, especially in the run-up to the election. However, I always give as much as possible to the performer. I learn their songs, and at the show I bounce, I shout, I mosh (where welcome) - I want to make this a special night for the fans as well as the artist.

I would have been much more dissatisfied had this happened to me on a U2 show, because they mean much more to me. On the BBs show, all that work I had to put into "managing the crowd" only kept me busy, but didn't make me angry.

You know what I'm thinking? I hear and see a lot of these crowds who are either dead-cold or assholes. Where are the fans that are passionate about U2, but peaceful? It should be just us cool people coming into a concert together. If I could get together with you and a couple of other cool people, it would be like the best show on earth.

I know we can't invite all the cool people on earth to a concert, so let's scale it down and be realistic: Have a possee. I know you got separated from your two friends, but I'm talking about having at least nine others. You won't all be able to stay together during the course of the concert, anyway, because of the movement on the floor, but at least when somebody's offended at you, he'll be offended at eight others, and if he messes with you, he'll have to deal with eight others. Imagine, if that guy strikes out at you, and your friends see you in distress, all of a sudden, he's getting a fist to the one side of his head, then to the other; he goes down, and you're like: "Security! Somebody fainted!" He'll be ok; he'll learn his lesson.

Another thought:

I've seen some heavy bands in concert, half the crowd moshing, and the people were much friendlier than at this infamous Beastie Boys concert. It's just like my man TheFrode said: There are these people who come in there only because of the hype, and because they heard the current single. It's a sad thing. They've got the money, and that's what makes... what makes U2's world go round, right now.

RadRacer said:
Another thought:

I've seen some heavy bands in concert, half the crowd moshing, and the people were much friendlier than at this infamous Beastie Boys concert. It's just like my man TheFrode said: There are these people who come in there only because of the hype, and because they heard the current single. It's a sad thing. They've got the money, and that's what makes... what makes U2's world go round, right now.

You've seen nothing. You know nothing. I've chunks of guys like you in my stool. You're a wuss.

thefrode989 said:

pushing and shoving may belong to a rock concert, wickedness not, you have my compassion

MrBrau,

You're joking.

I mean, your picture... and your obvious non-statement, with no counterargument, whatsoever.

BUT, if you really are tough, then I'd like to hear from your experience. Honestly, I'm curious. Share a piece from your life, if you're not a poser.

I will say this - I do feel sorry for those of you with a bad GA experience. But it seems as though San Diego was an exception to the norm. I had no issues during my 2 GA elevation shows, and had absolutely no issues during last night's San Jose show. I was a couple people back from the railing outside the ellipse, and never felt much of a push at all, even at the beginning. The people around were generally all respectful of others around them (with the exception of a few girls who really wanted to get right up front - but thankfully the people in front didn't budge and the girls got the picture), and in fact I found that most of the people around me were genuine fans and really appreciated the early/more rare stuff, which was very cool. Was it crowded? Yeah, of course! I didn't really have any room to do much more than partially bend down, but there's a reason they call it standing room only! ;) Other than not being able to stretch my sore legs and back as much as I wanted to ;), I had absolutely no complaints, and from the sound of it that was the general GA experience for everyone that night.

Back
Top Bottom