How does the production side of vertigo compare to elevation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clerks

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I've heard endlessly about the setlists... but I haven't heard much froms fans who went to shows about the performance...

The Elevation tour was so great with them walking on stage with the lights on, then them going out during Beautiful Day... Bono hititng Edge's guitar during Until the End of the World and then stopping it dead... the drum looking things coming up for Bad.... Bono running around the heart during streets... the screen coming up for The Fly/Mysterious Ways (if memory serves me)....

The production of the show was AWESOME.

How is the production of the Vertigo tour...

Does it have similar cool things? What happens during Streets this time around?

It is a very similar, yet uninspired version of Elevation. The ellipse is very cool though, and it really works in the arena--there are swirling lights on the ellipse catwalk that are really cool (definitel the best new aspect of the set/lighting)--other than that I was disappointed in the set and lighting, especially with the exorbitant prices they are charging.

I will say this, they seem to have found a formula that works (meaning the heart/ellipse) so if it aint broke...but, I was expecting more.

I have some knowledge of set design as i have mentioned before, having done some work in this area.

Even with the principal setup U2 have (heart/elipse/main stage) more could be done. Suggestions i would have made if i had anything to do with this would have included a small platform at the top of the elipse, as well as a more inspired lighting solution. All lighting used in major concerts these days have 360 degree rotating heads with colour changers with more colours than your eye's can detect so there is no limit to what can be acheived. however i think this makes all concerts repetitive.

In short much more can be done, and not for much more budget. Also screen technology can be more advanced than what is used on this tour, though i haven't seen the light curtains before. hope this helps a lil

Keep in mind that they've improved upon everything from Elevation. Lighting within edge of ellipse is now LED offering a stunning visual. Also, during Elevation they had curtains, but they could only project images onto them, now the images are coming right from the curtains. U2 is about austerity these days, forgoing elaborate stage setups and focusing more on the music. I'm telling you that just by looking at the stage pre-show, you'd never guess that it's as functional as it is. I remember how blown away I was when the heart lights strobed during End of the World, the ellipse is that times 10.

Sometimes less is more and in this case, I'm not even sure it could be considered less.

Th elevation show was a back to basics concert series (production wise, huge step down from PopMart).

The Vertigo tour is a notch up from Elevation. The lights of the ellipse are really cool, and the curtain screens (they are used as screens or even as backdrop lights) add an amazing effect to the arena. During Vertigo it was cool how the curtains were all red, and they definetely added an effect in COBL.

If anything its a notch up from Elevation, nothing compared to ZooTV or PopMart!

check out the videos and pictures on this board, they'll give you a good idea...

Back
Top Bottom