How do we know Portland Dec 19th is the LAST show for sure?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jesseu2, I think you have to consider a few things before assuming that Portland will not get a second show as the ending city in the US.

For Zoo TV, Anaheim was the third show in the LA market within a 2 week time frame, so there really was no longer the demand to fill a second night in a stadium in Anaheim.

For Popmart, all shows were stadiums and Seattle did not sell out, thus was was no demand for another show there.

For Elevation, they did end in a sold out arena in Miami, but it was impossible for U2 to add a second night there unless they did not play Tampa the night before. U2's work visas for the US expired the night of 12/2/01. I attended this final night in Miami and after the show ended around 11pm, I walked to the loading docks area of the arena to try to see the U2 members as they left after the show. I found out that the band left immediately as the show ended and went straight to the airport, because they physically had to be out of the US before midnight, due to their work visas expiring. This explains why they held the end of tour party after the Atlanta show, because they had no time to hold it after Miami.

The US leg of Elevation was originally planned to end in Los Angeles on 11/19/01 before the tour headed to Australia and Japan. When U2 cancelled the plans to go to this region, they added the 2 additional weeks of shows in the US and filled it with as many shows as they legally could fit in to comply with their US work visas.

Also after that Miami show, we found out from U2 crew members that the Elevation tour was to continue in European stadiums in summer 2002, a decision they later decided against. Crew members were saying their goodbyes that night in Miami, but were talking about seeing each other in Europe the following summer, which never happened.

Halup said:
The US leg of Elevation was originally planned to end in Los Angeles on 11/19/01 before the tour headed to Australia and Japan.

Actually it was supposed to end in Las Vegas on Nov 18, 2001. Then they added the 19th and the rest of the shows...

Halup said:
U2's work visas for the US expired the night of 12/2/01.

U2 own houses and are most likely resident aliens in the US. I don't buy the work visa thing. Their crew is most likely a very different story.

Last edited:
Chrisedge said:

Actually it was supposed to end in Las Vegas on Nov 18, 2001. Then they added the 19th and the rest of the shows...

This is not correct. The US leg was always intended to end on 11/19/01 in Los Angeles. This date was setup in advance to be the provisional 3rd Los Angeles show. When the third leg tour dates were released, this date was not listed and indeed Las Vegas on 11/18/01 was the last listed date given in advance to the public, but it was known in advance that 11/19 was being held for LA. from tour insiders.

There was a great U2 news site ran by a guy called Prarit. For all 3 legs of the Elevation tour, he got insider tour dates before the official announcements from his sources, which turned out to be completely accurate. He listed the provisional dates for each city and all of those dates did indeed get added. Other sources like U2tours.com also reported tour dates in advance.

During the Elevation tour I befriended one of the lighting guys and would talk to him throughout the tour via instant messaging. Once the tour dates were leaked, I was able to verify with him that Los Angeles on 11/19 was planned to be the final US date.

On my Propaganda order form for the third leg, I specifically requested 2 GA tickets for this 11/19 LA date even though they did not list it among the original dates when they were released to the public on 9/10/01. These are the tickets that Prop did in fact send to me. I did the same thing on the first leg, reqeusting tickets for Anaheim nights 2 and 3 even though only 1 date was announced. Prarit's site had listed the 2 provisional Anaheim extra dates on 4/24 and 26 and these are the 2 dates I chose on my Prop form, not night 1.

The 11/19/01 LA date went on sale the same day as 11/12 and 11/13 shows, so it was not added later. The rest of the shows from 11/20 to 12/2 were not originally intended and were not announced until the beginning of November 2001. Back on 4/25/01, John Sampson, U2 bodyguard had told me that late November and December were being reserved for Australia and Japan, so it's apparent that u2 decided against taking the tour to there and isntead added the extra 2 weeks of US shows instead.

cmb737 said:

U2 own houses and are most likely resident aliens in the US. I don't buy the work visa thing. Their crew is most likely a very different story.

I am quoting what was told to myself and other U2 fans waiting after the show. These were crew members, both American and foreign who were working on the tour. Whether it was work visas or not, for legal reasons U2 did have to exit the US by the end of 12/2/01. It is documented on U2 sites that the Elevation end of tour party did take place after Atlanta, the third to last show and not after Miami. It is also documented that within a matter of just a couple days after 12/2/01, U2 were already in Monte Carlo, already recording musical ideas for the next album.

I personally don't believe any U2 member is a US resident alien. I believe they have to acquire work visas for every time they tour in the US. Its known that they do have homes in the US, but they probably are not allowed to stay in the US for more than 6 months at a time without exiting the US and re-entering.

I was shocked when i heard U2 had been rehearsing in Mexico for this tour and that they will be using Vancouver to continue rehearsing. I expected this to all happen in LA to allow Edge to stay at home in Malibu. I now think the reason for this may be legal issues. They are staying close to the West Coast, but doing their work related activities just across the border from the US. Perhaps by doing this, it allows them more days in the US do due actual concerts? Maybe if someone knows more about the US laws on this could offer some specualtion.

bratty_cat said:

You're right! That's actually a ticket resale site, note the inflated pricing!

That's weird, since I got to the site from tickets.com. That would be like ticketmaster.com linking to a scalper.

Back
Top Bottom