How could someone get a letter to Bono while he is on tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redhill

Refugee
Any thoughts?

I will not be able to see a show anytime soon (am hoping to go on the 3rd leg) and would love to get a letter off.

Nothing stalker-ish :)

Does anyone have any ideas what the best way to get a letter to him might be?

Through someone else he works with?

To a hotel?

Any ideas sincerely appreciated.

venues deliver stuff to them. I've been at them in afternoon's listening to sound checks when delivery men arrive with flowers, and all sorts of things. You could probably send it Fed Exp to the venue. Some venues however will not take anything back. Just sending it by mail would probably be a waste of time. Hotels also. The best way to get stuff to them is to give it to their "people" to take backstage. Doesn't mean they keep it, on VH1 they told how all the presents, etc. are just left behind after most concerts.

Thanks so much for the info.

So you are saying Fedex to the main venue address to arrive the day of the show?

And by giving to their people... you mean showing up in person and getting it to someone during soundcheck?

Any details appreciated and thanks again.

It is EXTREMELY unlikely that you'll get them to read anything on tour. Or if they're not on tour. That is unless you write down the cure for cancer in three simple steps.

If it's important enough for the band to read it, fax it to Principle Mgt. in NY. If they deem it unworthy, you'll be out of luck.

Care to share what this important matter is? I'm fascinated.

lancerla said:
It is EXTREMELY unlikely that you'll get them to read anything on tour. Or if they're not on tour. That is unless you write down the cure for cancer in three simple steps.

If it's important enough for the band to read it, fax it to Principle Mgt. in NY. If they deem it unworthy, you'll be out of luck.

Care to share what this important matter is? I'm fascinated.

No thanks. I'm after any positive ideas and possibilities.... Not negative "can't be done" stuff....

At the very least I could attempt to meet them before a show on the 3rd leg and have a letter with me... Would rather try and contact them sooner.

Any other ideas about what might work sincerely appeciated.

I have seen 3 instances of people handing Bono letters while meeting him prior to sound check. In all three situations, he has taken them and either kept them in his hand or stuck the letter in his back pocket. Whether or not he reads it, who can say...but I think he is very fair about at least taking it from you. I would say that is a best bet...as well as you get to shake his hand while giving it to him.

That is, of course, if you manage to time it right so you meet them...

After spending a short time with Bono at HQ, I sensed that he geniuinely is totally open to his fans and is accessible communication (based on a discussion he had with the owners of a Belgian U2 website), however he has an organisation around him that (quite logically) acts as a filter to the many communications and request that come to the band. So I would suggest that you send your letter to Cecilia at Principle Management who is the main fan interface for U2, that's the best you're going to get other than meeting the band directly.

Cheers,
Jim

Letters that get to the band

I met Adam Clayton in front of their studio a year ago and that was the week of Bono's birthday. There were tons of fans sending things to the studio and some fans even gave Adam things to give to Bono because Bono was in America at the time. Adam clearly stated that Bono reads his letters and cards, etc. It might take him a while to get through some things, but he does. One fan that he knows well gave Bono a bunch of things the following week in front of the studio when I was there to meet Bono. He hugged the girl and told her that he would look at the letters on Monday...he was going away for the weekend. I would say that sending them to Cecilia at Prinicipal Mgmt. in Dublin is a good thing, however, if you could hand it to him in person or to one of the other members of the band, it will get to Bono that way definitely! Good luck. :)

That was a very accurate and positive assessment of things, Delphine.

Thanks for your input.

From my experience, if you can at all get to a U2 fanline at a Vertigo tour venue, and wait for Bono personally, that is the BEST way to get it to him.

At least you know that the B-man received it.

And I DO KNOW that BONO DID LOOK AT THE ITEMS I GAVE HIM in Chicago because the next day in the fan line he thanked me for them.

With Hope, all things are possible.

redhill said:

No thanks. I'm after any positive ideas and possibilities.... Not negative "can't be done" stuff....

At the very least I could attempt to meet them before a show on the 3rd leg and have a letter with me... Would rather try and contact them sooner.

Any other ideas about what might work sincerely appeciated.

I think you're confusing negativity with common sense. It's not hard to meet Bono and give him an item. It's hard to SEND him something. And that's what you were asking.

Sometimes it does work - i cant speak for U2, but Cher recieved a dozen or so letters here in Melbourne and she wrote back to every single person , and even called a few - I know this as I had to explain to her management how to use the outside line conference call in the artists dressing rooms...

The letters were sent to the promoters or directly to Rod Laver Arena here.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom