How about instead of blaming Hamish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lemontreeexit

The Fly
Instead of blaming him I think everyone should think about what a social/cultural event U2 shows have turned into. I mean just look at the audience on the Chicago DVD. When I saw Popmart 3 times in 97 the FEEL of a U2 show was completely different. Sure, there were lots of people there but, they were there because they were really INTO the music and not just there sitting down on the songs they didn't know,drinking beer, and taking a restroom break on the songs they didn't know ( like this tour on Miss Sarajevo). Also, tickets were only $50 and a lot of the die-hard/harcore fans who have been stuck in the upper levels this tour and on Elevation would definitely spark things off in the lower levels. The fact that some people have more money than like/interest in the band and will pay hundreds of dollars for one ticket just to say they "saw U2" is ridiculous. I seriously don't feel bad about only seeing this tour twice like I did about seeing Elevation only 3 times. Something to do with the energy I felt at the POPMART shows and the first Elevation show I saw ( where they actually played some things off of POP) has gone. If U2 really feels the need to make prices so that only 2-3000 diehard fans can be close (on the floor) and the rest of the close seats that were once filled by the hardcore fans are now taken up by boring middle agers and yuppies just up for a night on the town, then yes, expect to see more audiences like you see on the Chicago DVD( and in Houston and Dallas). Maybe the editing is crazy to make it look like a U2 show of old with not only energy but OVER THE TOP energy. WHat the hell has happened to U2 shows? I was depressed not over the fact that the shows were over 2 weeks ago but, how much energy the band put out and how little the audience gave back and how the band seems to be used to this now.One more thing, how about instead of groups of people buying GA tickets fo rmultiple shows you let some others who can maybe only go to 1-3 shows get a chance? Selfish. thats one good thing I thought U2.com was doing with what others called the ticket debacale, by limiting to one show, have some consideration. You don't have to be on the floor for EVERY show.

That felt good.

Last edited:
One more thing, how about instead of groups of people buying GA tickets fo rmultiple shows you let some others who can maybe only go to 1-3 shows get a chance? Selfish. thats one good thing I thought U2.com was doing with what others called the ticket debacale, by limiting to one show, have some consideration. You don't have to be on the floor for EVERY show.

That felt good. [/B]

Eh, if you can do it, go for it. I was GA for the first 15 shows I saw, and you know what? Nothing else compares.

Well, I wasn't exactly jumping up and down at stadiums - rather chilling out and trying to take it all in.........but I did notice a LOT of people (some who even seemed hardcore continually going out to get beer) and also of course those who were talking all the time and not always paying attention..

i think anyone would agree that there have been a lot of 'wow's' coming out of Bono's mouth in reaction to the crowd response this tour.

I've been to 4 shows this tour and they all, at many points during the show, were as loud or louder than the band.

I don't know if you attended the Dallas show, but the crowd was VERY into the show from my vantage point.

u2wedge said:
i think anyone would agree that there have been a lot of 'wow's' coming out of Bono's mouth in reaction to the crowd response this tour.

I've been to 4 shows this tour and they all, at many points during the show, were as loud or louder than the band.

This is how it was in Minneapolis...all Bono and The Edge kept saying was "WOW". I think it all depends on the town, for example, in Minneapolis, they were only there for one night, so the crowd was showing their appreciation for that one night, but also possibly trying to get U2 to rethink how many nights to spend in town the next time around. It all just happened to click that night.

onebloodonelife said:

It all just happened to click that night.

I agree. I was at LA-Staples Center 3 & 4. #3 was a good show, nothing wrong with it . . . but it was no #4. November 2 at Staples Cener was just off the charts. The crowed after SYCMIOYO and WTSHNN was just insane. The WTSHNN roar went on for almost five minutes and there were many "WOW"s and amazed expressions coming from Bono and the boys.

Some shows just click. You go to enough shows and you can tell which are good and which are great. And you don't always have to be on the floor to be at a truly great show. That's what's great about U2, the magic works in the cheap seats as well.

bono said WOW two or three times after streets at Vegas 1, and that was one of the lamest crowds ive seen. i wouldnt read too much into the wows

The real beauty is that any U2 show, as bad as it might be, is still a zillion times better than most other shows...

Chizip said:
bono said WOW two or three times after streets at Vegas 1, and that was one of the lamest crowds ive seen. i wouldnt read too much into the wows

It depends, the show I was at, the crowd was deafening, so I think the wows were genuine.

I don't give a crap about the audience. I'm not there for them, I'm there for me and the band. I know they do their best to give 100% every night and that's what matters to me. I'm close to the music, they're close to the music and you know the rest.

As for buying tix to tons of shows, if you can do it, then more power to you! If I had the time and money I'd do exactly the same thing. I used to think that was some crazy shit, til I experienced this tour and realized that I wanted to be one of those people. I had tix to 2 shows this tour, one GA and one reserved and I would have loved to have GA all the way. I didn't even get tix to the May shows and I was pissed about that, but I've never had a better year with U2 than this year, so I quit bitching and relished what I did experience.

middle agers? you do realize that U2 has been around for 25 years theres bound to be a lot of 40 year olds in the concerts and for them to stick around that long is really cool

Mofo said:
middle agers? you do realize that U2 has been around for 25 years theres bound to be a lot of 40 year olds in the concerts and for them to stick around that long is really cool

And the band members aren't exactly spring chickens either. :wink:

Chizip said:

Yeah, the crowds at Boston 1 and 2 weren't the most amazing, either. Wow wow wow, it loses its impact if you hear it for a second, third, fourth time. :|

It also depends on your basis for comparison. If you've seen some extremely raucous crowds in the past, then there's more chance that the shows you see will appear to be mellow. Conversely, if most of the crowds you have seen are mellow, then there's more chance that a slightly more rowdy crowd will appear pretty "in to it" to you.

For example, if you were at any Montreal shows on any tour, you would likely have found the crowds in London, San Diego, Toronto and the chicago DVD crowd, to have very low energy levels. On the other hand, if I'd never seen a Montreal show, London might have appeared quite raucous.

Just an example of the relativity of perception based on past experiences.

i love how everybody thinks their hometown show has the craziest crowd, and showed their support the most :giggle:

Glasgow seemed full of a lot of part-timers. I still had the time of my life but sometimes the reaction of the crowd can have an effect on the band for the rest of the night. Luckily I don't think that happened in Glasgow.

Electric Co. was amazing, New Year's Day was flawless, Streets was utterly mind-blowing and Yahweh and Vertigo II were incredible.

However, the majority of the crowd seemed to be dying down on songs like Running to Stand Still, I was the only one I could see singing all the words.

A great thing about Zoo Station opening the encore was that, even though a lot of people had never heard the song/knew the words, they still got hyped because of the sheer badass rock tune that it is. Then for The Fly to follow that just put the cherry on top.

FitzChivalry said:

I agree. I was at LA-Staples Center 3 & 4. #3 was a good show, nothing wrong with it . . . but it was no #4. November 2 at Staples Cener was just off the charts. The crowed after SYCMIOYO and WTSHNN was just insane. The WTSHNN roar went on for almost five minutes and there were many "WOW"s and amazed expressions coming from Bono and the boys.

Some shows just click. You go to enough shows and you can tell which are good and which are great. And you don't always have to be on the floor to be at a truly great show. That's what's great about U2, the magic works in the cheap seats as well.

I was at LA 3 and 4 as well. 4 was off the charts, agreed. The crowd after streets, was the loudest noise i've heard at a U2 show. Amazing ( and I was proud, because LA crowds can be kind of weird)

I have to agree on this subject as well. I attended the houston show, and while what I saw didn't surprise me, I was a little disappointed. The show itself was great, but the crowd.... not as much. U2 has gained a lot more popularity on this tour and the crowd makeup definately shows it. Some examples include:

1) I had to drive from austin, so I got to the show right after the opening act finished: a couple ahead of me had two GA's, they were just arriving, and had no clue about separate enterance or anything. I wish I could've got ahold of one of those tickets.

2) It appeared that there were a lot of people there just because it was a hot ticket in town, to say that they went to the U2 show

3) The massive exit during 'The Ocean', presumably to get beer or go to the restroom, had to laugh when a bunch ran back after the two minute song to see ISHFWILF

4) People sitting down during Miracle Drug and Miss Sarejvo

Now, don't get me wrong, all of this comes with the territory of being a massively popular band, but it does show on the chicago dvd. Of course the houston crowd was super loud for Pride and Streets (the cheer went on for minutes), but that also meant some left after with or without you since they didnt know any of the songs in the 2nd encore. The european shows I'm sure have a better atmosphere, but the elevation 2001 show I saw in Austin had a lot of diehards and the atmosphere was great. Its just something we'll have to live with.

One more thing, the bathroom line in houston before U2 was hilarious, a line of guys all wearing the same "uniform": expensive jeans with untucked striped shirt, it made me laugh.

oktobergirl said:

I was at LA 3 and 4 as well. 4 was off the charts, agreed. The crowd after streets, was the loudest noise i've heard at a U2 show. Amazing ( and I was proud, because LA crowds can be kind of weird)

Here's another perspective. I was in the ellipse for 3 and it seemed like the concert was amazing. I had awesome seats for 4, just in front of Edge on the lower bowl, and the show kind of sucked for me. Two reasons I think: one, nothing compares to the ellipse, and two, the people around you at shows make a big difference. I was around a bunch of VIPs who were just sitting. The whole show. And talking. That REALLY sucked. Going to concerts is kind of like going to the movies now -- if you get a bad audience in your area, it kind of screws everything up.

You know, I think any popular band that has been around for this long will have this problem, as some have already said. The Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, probably have the same problem with their crowds, if not more so. In the past few years concerts have become much more of status thing than they have in the past, particuarly concerts by rock legends.

During tours past things were different in two important ways--The first being rock concerts were less of The Thing To Do by the affluent cas-fan, and of course because of this tickets were less expensive. The second difference is that U2 is now considered a legendary, if not classic rock, band that people are expected to see at least once, whose new songs are pretty easy to get into for a non-fan. I don't think this was the case years ago.

Chizip said:

I was in the ellipse for L.A. #2 (or 4, whatever), and just behind it for Las Vegas 1. Bono may have mouthed "wow" at Vegas as well but I could see him clearly both times and he seemed genuinely more blown away in Los Angeles. His reaction wasn't as big at the next show.

lemontreeexit said:
Instead of blaming him I think everyone should think about what a social/cultural event U2 shows have turned into. I mean just look at the audience on the Chicago DVD. When I saw Popmart 3 times in 97 the FEEL of a U2 show was completely different. Sure, there were lots of people there but, they were there because they were really INTO the music and not just there sitting down on the songs they didn't know,drinking beer, and taking a restroom break on the songs they didn't know ( like this tour on Miss Sarajevo). Also, tickets were only $50 and a lot of the die-hard/harcore fans who have been stuck in the upper levels this tour and on Elevation would definitely spark things off in the lower levels. The fact that some people have more money than like/interest in the band and will pay hundreds of dollars for one ticket just to say they "saw U2" is ridiculous. I seriously don't feel bad about only seeing this tour twice like I did about seeing Elevation only 3 times. Something to do with the energy I felt at the POPMART shows and the first Elevation show I saw ( where they actually played some things off of POP) has gone. If U2 really feels the need to make prices so that only 2-3000 diehard fans can be close (on the floor) and the rest of the close seats that were once filled by the hardcore fans are now taken up by boring middle agers and yuppies just up for a night on the town, then yes, expect to see more audiences like you see on the Chicago DVD( and in Houston and Dallas). Maybe the editing is crazy to make it look like a U2 show of old with not only energy but OVER THE TOP energy. WHat the hell has happened to U2 shows? I was depressed not over the fact that the shows were over 2 weeks ago but, how much energy the band put out and how little the audience gave back and how the band seems to be used to this now.One more thing, how about instead of groups of people buying GA tickets fo rmultiple shows you let some others who can maybe only go to 1-3 shows get a chance? Selfish. thats one good thing I thought U2.com was doing with what others called the ticket debacale, by limiting to one show, have some consideration. You don't have to be on the floor for EVERY show.

That felt good.

nah let's blame Hamish!

caragriff said:
don't blame hamish or u2.
i say just blame chicago.

:wink:

Blame Hamish, he makes the crowd look poor because of his express rules to the cameramen on NOT to focus on any of the crowd but only of the band.

The Crowd was great. It must've been coz I was there! :wink:

trabantland said:

Blame Hamish, he makes the crowd look poor because of his express rules to the cameramen on NOT to focus on any of the crowd but only of the band.

The Crowd was great. It must've been coz I was there! :wink:

I agree with trabantland. I was 15 feet outside the center of the ellipse at the Chicago DVD filming and the crowd was outstanding. The reason the crowd seems so stale on film is explained by Hamish himself on disc 2 of the Chicago DVD, in the documentary when Hamish is asked by his camera men if there should be clean shots of the crowd. His answer is "Feel the love, don't give it a name"

Again, "Feel the love, don't give it a name"

The only real crowd shots we have besiudes a bunch of hands waving in the air are the background shots of people moving around. THAT IS HAMISH'S FAULT. He edited out all of the great crowd scenes before they were even shot, so of course all you have to remember of the crowd ius them moving out of the seats. If there would have been even just one shot of an emotional audience member in the ellipse when 'Streets' opens up, we'd all remember that one scene as Chicago Vertigo 2005. Hamish didn't go that route and the emotional value of the Chicago DVD suffers from that standpoint.

How do you ignore the bands affects on the crowd when that's the reason they are playing?

That's why it falls in his lap- he made the decision.

Check out the bonus DVD and see his little decision. It burns me he'd say such a thing and think he was going to make a brilliant 'record' for the fans as he says he would do.

I was in nosebleed during the Chicago (10th) show and with the exception of the drunk behind me the audience was great. (and yes I've been down in the heart and seen them in several cities)What was interesting though was that Streets got the worst reception there I've ever seen, but on the other hand the only place I've ever seen respond better to Pride is Memphis. My two cents on Hamish is that they avoided the crowd b/c it simplifies editing.

Back
Top Bottom