Honolulu Soundcheck: Strange Boat by the Waterboys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toze pinto

The Fly
While waiting to get inside the stadium in GA line i've heard U2 reharsing a version of the Waterboys "Strange Boat".

The tune had changed lyrics mentioning Pearl Jam and Merry Xmas and the bass\drum sound was quite similar to the Joshua Tree version of MOTD.

Did anyone else heard this? It was around 3.30 PM

I don't recall hearing U2 sound-check at all while waiting in the GA line.

Are you sure it wasn't Rocko?

There was definitely sound check going on, and it definitely was not U2 playing - it was the crew. I was in the stadium from about 4:30-7:30 (till hubby gave up waiting and made us leave :madspit: .:wink: ), and U2 did not play at that time - they were not at the stadium yet - we did see Edge and entourage arrive at about 7:00, but we gave up at 7:30 because it was really windy and we were afraid we were gong to get busted! (we walked in unnoticed, the security was really lax, but then they started to seem more vigilant so I was worried we would get busted) I don't know what time the rest of the guys showed up.

We did hear the crew sound check COBL numerous times, New Years Day, LAPOE (checking the drums alot on the b-stage), and I can't remember what else but a lot of other songs.

OOPS, I just realized you might have meant the day of the show, I am talking about the evening before the show.

OOPS, I just realized you might have meant the day of the show, I am talking about the evening before the show. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes. I was at the stadium from 9AM show day.

Rocco rehearsed around lunchtime (12-14), Pearl Jam around 2.45-3.15 (including Big Wave, Neil Young's Through Your Hatred Down) and them 20 minutes later i heard Strange Boat played with the Mothers Of The Disappeared backbone (drums and bass), changed lyrics and it sure sounded like Bono and the band.

Plus we all know how Bono likes the Waterboys and such.

Actually the drum pattern didn't sounded too different from what Larry played alone at the end of AIWIY. I wondered if they intended to join in again if they were in the mood for it.

For those who slept overnight: A friend told me that Wild Horses was rehearsed Friday night. Is this correct?

"For those who slept overnight: A friend told me that Wild Horses was rehearsed Friday night. Is this correct?"

highly doubtful as wild horses was not on the shows setlist

I still doubt it was U2 you heard. I got chatting to a fella the next day after the gig. He had seated tickets and hung around before the gig to meet the band (i.e. U2). He told me that U2 didn't show up at the Stadium until shortly before Rocko came on stage.

toze pinto said:
OOPS, I just realized you might have meant the day of the show, I am talking about the evening before the show. [/B
Yes. I was at the stadium from 9AM show day.

Rocco rehearsed around lunchtime (12-14), Pearl Jam around 2.45-3.15 (including Big Wave, Neil Young's Through Your Hatred Down) and them 20 minutes later i heard Strange Boat played with the Mothers Of The Disappeared backbone (drums and bass), changed lyrics and it sure sounded like Bono and the band.

Plus we all know how Bono likes the Waterboys and such.

Actually the drum pattern didn't sounded too different from what Larry played alone at the end of AIWIY. I wondered if they intended to join in again if they were in the mood for it.

For those who slept overnight: A friend told me that Wild Horses was rehearsed Friday night. Is this correct?

I dont think you heard U2. From what I have heard they did not soundcheck the day of the show. Also, your order of soundcheck would be off. U2 typically check first. Then they put the opening acts gear out and let them soundcheck if there is time (as their gear would be in the way of U2 if they put it out there). Your order goes in reverse of that. Doesnt really make sense. Not sure what you heard but it was either the techs of one of the bands screwing around or it was something they played over the PA.

At about 3 or 4 on the day of the show, after his sound check, Rocko came out to the GA line and he said U2 had done their sound check the day before so he could get his in that day.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom