Hold nothing against Bono and co

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnnyBoy

The Fly
This has been a major cock up between Ticketmaster/fanfire and we're all angry and stressed by the whole debacle.

But I for one don't hold it against U2. They've given us fantastic music for 25 years and the hours of enjoyment I've had out of them far outweigh the day wasted on the presale.

I would go through it again for another tour because they are that good.

Totally agree, but I would like to see a statement from the band regarding the extremely high ticket prices.

The noises coming from TM, U2.com etc have been encouraging about sorting this mess out before Friday, so hopefully they'll deliver on this.

I think it's great you can still stick up for this band but to say this entire debacle was all ticketmasters fault is a complete joke.

U2.com stated that "U2 will offer General Admission floor tickets giving fans the best view in the house for the lowest ticket price. Reserved seat tickets in the stands will also be available."

So it's all well and good when U2 are mentioned when we hear the best seats are available but as soon as there is a slight hitch (what an understatement) it has nothing to do with them? :lmao:

U2 and U2.com are both responsible in this for many reasons

- they promised something and fans did not get what they were promised. You wouldn't take that kind of service in a shop without expecting apology/ FULL refund

- U2.com were responsbile for giving out subscriptions, not ticketmaster, they should have regulated subscription sales so that all GA tickets had not sold out within a minute or staggered the release of tickets.

Obviously nothing happens that is connected to U2 that the band don't know about, but I'm sure they were given assurances it would all be carried out smoothly. I'm sure they wouldn't be happy to see this forum for example, but do we really know the full extent of the problem yet?

The wording of the membership form will have been to cover themselves. Even in the days of Prop you were told you had a "chance" to get tickets, nothing was guaranteed. Same thing this time, you were promised the chance to get tickets, not promised actual tickets.

ascender_RS said:
Obviously nothing happens that is connected to U2 that the band don't know about, but I'm sure they were given assurances it would all be carried out smoothly. I'm sure they wouldn't be happy to see this forum for example, but do we really know the full extent of the problem yet?

The wording of the membership form will have been to cover themselves. Even in the days of Prop you were told you had a "chance" to get tickets, nothing was guaranteed. Same thing this time, you were promised the chance to get tickets, not promised actual tickets.

I think it's the way this thing was handled was part of the problem also. Nothing seemed to go right and I've heard a handful of success stories, the rest have been complaints about the site crashing/ people failing to have their emails answered.

Neither do I hold anything against U2, one poorly managed presale does not undo 25 years of brilliant music and memories.

I wonder if this point has already been made- the thing that seems to irk most people, whether they got through the websale or not, is the high prices of tickets. When you factor in U2.com membership, buying the CD, tickermaster fees and the ticket costs themselves being a fan has cost well over £100. That's not small money. But in the late 80s, even with inflation, ticket priced were lower because you had so many acts touring and competing for tickets. In 1987 alone there was U2, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Prince, David Bowie, Queen, Whitesnake, Guns N Roses, Rolling Stones and that's just the A league. Now there are only really U2 and the Rolling Stones, who seem to tour every 4 years each alternately.

Now this is no excuse at all for charging such high prices, but the laws of supply and demand dictate that if there are 10 or more stadium-filling acts they will be forced to be competitive on price, whereas the business machines nowadays see a tour as a much more one off marketing opportunity.

I have to say, how refreshing would it be if someone, U2 for example, led the way by offering affordable ticket prices, especially to fanclub fans. You don't need big screens and big overheads. They might not overtake the RS on the biggest grossing stakes, but they would generate a huge amount of goodwill. Now that would be something

I think like ascender_RS said, the band would have been given assurances that everything would go smoothly. Unfortunately and predictably it has been worse than most people could have dreamt.

But, it's not like Bono will have set out to shaft us personally. That's why I'm not angry with them but their gofers at Principle management and fanfire for not delivering.

Most of all I'm annoyed at Ticketmaster because their service is always poor no matter what event.

I thought the point of playing stadiums was so that as many of your fans as possible could see you play. There are obvious gaps in the schedule and unless there's something we're not being told, there looks like there will be second shows added in the major cities.

So why, why, oh why are they charging a small fortune for the tickets???

ascender_RS said:

So why, why, oh why are they charging a small fortune for the tickets???

Exactly. Talking to some mates about this last night, it was clear that not only are the hardcore fans up in arms, but there are literally millions of regular/casual U2 fans and NEW fans who are furious and will struggle to afford £55 plus fees per ticket. According to U2log the Glasgow GA tickets are £85.. this is UNFORGIVABLE behaviour from U2.

And as somebody said, it's U2 Inc. that took my Propaganda and U2.com subscription money so it would be helpful if PM made some sort of statement without blaming everything on Ticketfucjer.

Jim said:

Exactly. Talking to some mates about this last night, it was clear that not only are the hardcore fans up in arms, but there are literally millions of regular/casual U2 fans and NEW fans who are furious and will struggle to afford £55 plus fees per ticket. According to U2log the Glasgow GA tickets are £85.. this is UNFORGIVABLE behaviour from U2.

And as somebody said, it's U2 Inc. that took my Propaganda and U2.com subscription money so it would be helpful if PM made some sort of statement without blaming everything on Ticketfucjer.

It's not even about the money for me, I would happily shell out so much money for U2 but not to recieve some crap service in return. As Bono said "it's just not on to have this life that we've been given - an amazing life - and be crap". It's "crap" that they have invovled themselves with a fiasco like this and they aren't blameless folks, get real. I also don't see why everyone is so angry with ticketmaster, I ALWAYS use/ have used ticketmaster in the past for my concert tickets and I have been to a lot of concerts in the last few years (sometimes as many as 4 a year which is a lot for a student in my opinion). I have never ever had a problem with them.

The problem is that people's priorities in life change. I am fortunate enough to be able to afford the money to see U2 once at this cost. I'd love to be able to see U2 more than once on this tour, but I can't justify it because of the high ticket prices.

Its partly down to bad timing as I had to get seating tickets, but I never thought U2 would charge £85+ for them. Then there's my $40 U2.COM membership fee. And the $20 refund I'm waiting for. And the lost issues of Propaganda we were due.

But obviously the cheap membership and priority ticketing system would make up for this.

I'm just disillusioned and I really hope that the ticket prices don't get swept under the carpet.

it is U2's fault, equally and thir management. They have a lot to answer for here. That's a fact. Yes they have given us great music over the years, but this is terrible planning and terrible management of the whole tour thing!!

who else is their to blame apart from the band and their so called managment ???? i do blame them its a joke anyone with any concert ticket buying knowledge in the u.k knows what a shambles ticketmaster are every time they sell tix for a major event they cock up time after time and as for the prices well they take the piss r.e.m have released more dates today and for the same price as u2 tix i'm flying to rome to see them instead and as for u2 fuck them i hope they enjoy the $40 they STOLE from me

I blame U2 for switching from Propaganda to ticketmaster for their fan tickets. I am sure $40 per person would cover any expenses related to getting tickets issued. Once you turn the fan portion over to TM of course you are going to get screwed and TM's scalpers will take over.

dont kid yourself, u2 really doesnt care anymore about any of this stuff...Its been seeping into there language the last couple of years. I have been going to shows on propaganda system since 87, taped a ton of their shows, been hardcore for a long long time. The old u2 would have anticipated this a long time before it happened and vehemently argued with ticketmaster that its fan club should get the floor seats they need like on elevation, obiviously there was the super power struggle on this and u2 threw in the towel. They knew from the previous 4 tours 100 floor tickets were not going to cut it to each show. They didnt care at all.

U2.com is a joke, but a very profitable one indeed. How about the other one that is close to my heart, the audio downloads on itunes. When fat Paul McGuiness starts rolling out comments like the technology isnt there yet, that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. In the last two weeks I have seen Ipod delivering NFL games on that stupid unit, and there are about 10 different fullfillment companies that can do the concert cd/download thing. Dont insult me and tell me the technology isnt there

We all know what that is, its fat Paul and his crew arguing about how much money they get to keep off the downloads and that is why that will never happen. The lawyers messed that one up.

Look, I accept U2 has gone a different direction, and I probably wont be there to see it. They put out a lousy record, there going to roll out and play the same damn set 120 nights in a row with the same stuff in it (streets, pride, until the end, bday, one) and I have seen it. I am not paying $400 for inferior seats to see a concert that I essentially have seen over 50 times with 4 junky songs from this record,and the thing is I have the money. I just think there making a half ass effort with the entire project the last couple years and I am not going to reward them for it.

U2 is not U2 anymore, the core of that band is gone, they have turned into what I used to laugh at in he 80s and the 90s...Now they are the rolling stones

back to my 35 discs of popmart rehersal IEMS

Cheers
Malcolm

JohnnyBoy said:
This has been a major cock up between Ticketmaster/fanfire and we're all angry and stressed by the whole debacle.

But I for one don't hold it against U2. They've given us fantastic music for 25 years and the hours of enjoyment I've had out of them far outweigh the day wasted on the presale.

I would go through it again for another tour because they are that good.

They are that good. But I disagree with the fact that they could not prevent this. They were perfectly aware of the change in the system and did not do anything to prevent it.

The band has gone a step down (a significant one) today after disappointing me big time yesterday.

:down:

Lara Mullen said:
I think it's great you can still stick up for this band but to say this entire debacle was all ticketmasters fault is a complete joke.

U2.com stated that "U2 will offer General Admission floor tickets giving fans the best view in the house for the lowest ticket price. Reserved seat tickets in the stands will also be available."

So it's all well and good when U2 are mentioned when we hear the best seats are available but as soon as there is a slight hitch (what an understatement) it has nothing to do with them? :lmao:

U2 and U2.com are both responsible in this for many reasons

- they promised something and fans did not get what they were promised. You wouldn't take that kind of service in a shop without expecting apology/ FULL refund

- U2.com were responsbile for giving out subscriptions, not ticketmaster, they should have regulated subscription sales so that all GA tickets had not sold out within a minute or staggered the release of tickets.

I agree with this.
I don't suddenly hate them; still my favorite band...but ultimately, they are responsible for fixing this matter. let's see if they do. I bet they don't.

Do not give up the fight. Continue faxing today (I will re-fax the ones I sent yesterday to both offices).

Principle Management NY : +1 (212) 765-2372
Principle Management Dublin: + (353) 1 6777 276

They ceded control of the process to the promoters and that's the problem. Even the U2.com membership is outsourced to them - fanfire/ticketmaster/clearchannel.

But even so they still could have insisted that the best seats really were available during the presale - just as they have been available to Prop fans for 2 decades. But they didn't - they outsourced this too and we were force fed crappy seats and too few GAs. Now we know most GAs went to the ticket brokers.

I love U2 and am a longtime fan but they really dropped the ball with this one. Perhaps they trusted Paul too much to handle all this stuff and maybe he doesn't care anymore.

Back
Top Bottom