Hmm - War Tour tickets were easier

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

agingu2fan

Babyface
It's been a long day hitting the refresh button on the ticketmaster web site. So I thought I would try and lighten the mood by telling my sad U2 story.

As a fresh face 18 year student at Birmingham Univ in the UK - some friends said hey come to this U2 concert at the Oden (a sort of cinema/concert hall). I remember going in the Saturday before and spending ~3 pounds on a ticket, I had never heard of U2.

At the Oden there were 10 rows of seats at the front - which were 50p more - and you were close to the stage. We lent over the row and borrowed tickets from someone in these rows. Quick flash of the ticket to the bouncer and we were at the front. I watched from behind the front rwo of seats protecting me from the stage crush. It was one hell of a night.

That year I think I saw U2 three times - we used the same trick to get us in the front. One time a friend got caught going through on the some elses ticket. So we all lined up after the concert and got his program signed for him as a way of thanks.

As Univertsity went on I saw them multiple times at the NEC, Wembly etc (Live Aid). Anyone remember a very wet and muddy day at Milton Keniens. As I got older standing two miles from the stage at Wembly did nothing for me and I never quite got the Zoo album.

Years later (20!!) I'm living in Denver and get tickets to see them at the Pepsi Center. I had just had neck surgery so was not up to the GA section. It wasn't a great night stuck miles away with crap sound.

Then came the second elevation tour, Propaganda got me two GA tickets, my wife had just been laid off so we needed to do something fun. So we spent the day lining up with the 20 years old kids so we could be inside the heart. I had the night of my life - capped when some kind Roadie threw we a guitar plectrum.

I vowed never to go and see U2 again as it would be such a let down. Well something changed and I spent the last weeks convincing Fanfire I was a member of Propaganda and joined again.

I was ready this morning - logged in seconds,nervously completed the menu. No GA left, all over in less than 20 seconds.Then offered $160+fees tickets. Decided it's time to hang up my concert going boots. I hate to put a damper on this for those with tickets but to enjoy U2 you need to be standing at the stage not seated rows back. My wife and I will be seating at home.

$320+ will go along way to that U2 iPod I keep meaning to buy............or that one last single to complete my collection of 150 U2 CDs - but not to seat in a hockey stadium with a pair of bincoulars to see the stage.

Any 40+ year guys feel the same.

Great music, great band !!!

I hear you... my first time seeing U2 was on the War tour. They played in my hometown of Honolulu, Hawaii, at the Honolulu International Center, a little arena that seats about 13,000. It was packed with people. We bought tickets from Sears a couple of days before the show and got loge seats, right above center stage. U2 were playing with Oingo Boingo, whom we actually went to see. We were going to leave after Oingo Boingo, but we decided to stay just for the hell of it.

I remember Bono was dressed all in black, with a sleevless shirt, long high leather boots, and the white flags flying on the stage behind him, and in front of a backdrop of a boy's face covered by cargo netting. Every time he came to the front of the stage all of these hands would come up and entwine themselves around his boots like snakes. It was mesmerizing. He was a violent performer, kicking the mike stand across the stage, swinging it around. He would sing, then kick the mike stand down, and a roadie would scramble around after him and pick it up.

At one point he climbed the speaker stand, at least 15 - 20 feet up, singing the entire time. Amazing charisma, this wild young singer, and an unforgettable night.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response - it's about like therapy hearing your comments - the memory is coming back the white flags, the climbing up high into the lights and onto the speakers by Bono. As they were number 1 in the UK charts that week they dragged someone on stage to open a bottle of champagne, the cork would not come out for what seemed like any age.

Though not a fan of the big stadium's I have to give it to Bono - he put the same effort into the night I saw him 3 years ago in Denver as he did 20+ years ago when they started. I wondered where that energy comes from to perform every night.

You did spark another memory for me of that night in Hawaii. Bono did pull out a bottle of champagne toward the end of the show, and he was pouring cups of it for a few lucky people in the front row. Then, he ended up pouring plastic cups of champagne, and drop kicked each one from center stage, showering the crowd with champagne. They loved it.

Another random thought... as luck would have it, I ended up partying with the guys from Oingo Boingo many years later, and one of the crew was telling me that they remembered touring Hawaii with U2 in 1983. He told me a funny story that while they were out on a yacht, he met the U2 guitar player -- a "very quiet, serious guy" -- and asked him what his name was, and the guy responded with one word, "Th'Edge". He remembers thinking, What kind of a name is that? Thedge? Like Wedge? LOL

I had the pleasure of seeing the band for the first time in the spring of 1985 in Toronto, Canada...what a show!!! We also got to meet a somewhat shy and nervous(and totally alone!!!) Bono in the hallway backstage - we chatted for awhile and then parted ways. It was very cool and intimate. I met the band again in 87 at the Whitney Hotel in Minniapolis - that was great but very different. I beleive I was lucky enough to catch a meeting with Bono before fame completely surrounded him. I'm hoping against hope to meet them on this tour and share the memory with them.

agingu2fan said:
It's been a long day hitting the refresh button on the ticketmaster web site. So I thought I would try and lighten the mood by telling my sad U2 story.

As a fresh face 18 year student at Birmingham Univ in the UK - some friends said hey come to this U2 concert at the Oden (a sort of cinema/concert hall). I remember going in the Saturday before and spending ~3 pounds on a ticket, I had never heard of U2.

At the Oden there were 10 rows of seats at the front - which were 50p more - and you were close to the stage. We lent over the row and borrowed tickets from someone in these rows. Quick flash of the ticket to the bouncer and we were at the front. I watched from behind the front rwo of seats protecting me from the stage crush. It was one hell of a night.

That year I think I saw U2 three times - we used the same trick to get us in the front. One time a friend got caught going through on the some elses ticket. So we all lined up after the concert and got his program signed for him as a way of thanks.

As Univertsity went on I saw them multiple times at the NEC, Wembly etc (Live Aid). Anyone remember a very wet and muddy day at Milton Keniens. As I got older standing two miles from the stage at Wembly did nothing for me and I never quite got the Zoo album.

Years later (20!!) I'm living in Denver and get tickets to see them at the Pepsi Center. I had just had neck surgery so was not up to the GA section. It wasn't a great night stuck miles away with crap sound.

Then came the second elevation tour, Propaganda got me two GA tickets, my wife had just been laid off so we needed to do something fun. So we spent the day lining up with the 20 years old kids so we could be inside the heart. I had the night of my life - capped when some kind Roadie threw we a guitar plectrum.

I vowed never to go and see U2 again as it would be such a let down. Well something changed and I spent the last weeks convincing Fanfire I was a member of Propaganda and joined again.

I was ready this morning - logged in seconds,nervously completed the menu. No GA left, all over in less than 20 seconds.Then offered $160+fees tickets. Decided it's time to hang up my concert going boots. I hate to put a damper on this for those with tickets but to enjoy U2 you need to be standing at the stage not seated rows back. My wife and I will be seating at home.

$320+ will go along way to that U2 iPod I keep meaning to buy............or that one last single to complete my collection of 150 U2 CDs - but not to seat in a hockey stadium with a pair of bincoulars to see the stage.

Any 40+ year guys feel the same.

Great music, great band !!!

I've seen U2 from the highest point in a football stadium at the very back as well as being in the heart itself on Elevation and I can honestly say that it does not make a difference where you are essentially, because the music is that powerful. This is a Live experience and while it might be fun to actually have eye contact with Bono or reach out and touch a band member, this is about the music #1 and that is why U2 is the greatest live band of all time, they can reach you any where inside a venue, even at the back of a football stadium.

Take their largest concert ever at Reggio in Itally to 150,000 people, most who were probably two football fields away from the stage, yet everyone who went to that show says it was awesome!

I decided not to see them at the local Jai Alai fronton in Orlando, FLA. in 1983, wasn't sure if this "new band" would be worth seeing. I did see them March 17 1985 in Denver. What a show! And by ticket was $13. We stood in line all night hanging out and partying with other u2 fans to get them. We weren't down front, but still a great show! same with 1987 in Tampa, $18 tixnose bleeds in the stadium, 35 degrees in December (yes it gets that cold in FLA.) I think it is outrageous to pay this much to see who you want. I thought they were supposed to kick it off in Miami? oh well. Glory days are behind us.

Back
Top Bottom