Help! Ticket Fraud!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theoeiii

Acrobat
Recently I bought tickets to Croke Park from a guy who lives in London. His name is Eugene Miller - so if you deal with him, do not send any money.

I wired him $800 - not exactly chump change. He received the money, then never sent the tickets. I checked his ebay name the day after I sent the money and sure enough it was no longer valid.

My question is - does anyone know who the correct authority to contact is? I assume it will have to be the London Police but is there any section in particular? Has anyone else gone through this?

If anyone can help at all, I'd be indebted.

Thank you.

Did you pay via Paypal? eBay advises that you never use Western Union or any sort of wire service because it's not insured the way that Paypal is. I'd start by contacting eBay.

Sorry! Hopefully you'll get your money back and will still get to go to the show!

If you went through ebay, you need to notify them right away. The wire service as well. Definitely notify the police and whoever will listen.
What a shit thing to do. So sorry.
Be diligent about getting after him.

You need to file as many complaints against this guy as you can, and you can find this info by ebay. Call up e-bay and tell them what happened, file a complaint also with ebay. I lost 525$, I bought a multi track recorder from this guy, he never sent me the recorder. I have about 5 complaints against him, paypal is trying to recover my money. He did try to scam me, he sent me a letter, and made me sign for it, I thought it was my money, but it was a piece of paper, and nothing inside of it. So he was trying to make it look like he paid me back(making me sign for it) etc.. Its a big joke, but if you file the complaints, at least your doing something to find this guy.

that really sucks.

With ebay - send them an email - there's a special unit devoted to checking up on fraud claims. Unfortunately though, if he's no longer regstered with them, they can't do much (speaking from personal experience).

Your only other option is that since you wired him the money, you know his bank account details then right?

Maybe get in touch with his bank and ask them what you can do. they will probably tell you to get in touch with the police over there and provide them all the details, but you never know, maybe they will follow it up themselves. If not, give the police all the details and hopefully they can track the guy down for you.

good luck!

Man i wished i lived in London, i would go knock on this assholes door for you. Someone in London must want to help out!! You have his address right.

BonoIsMyMuse said:
Did you pay via Paypal? eBay advises that you never use Western Union or any sort of wire service because it's not insured the way that Paypal is. I'd start by contacting eBay.

Sorry! Hopefully you'll get your money back and will still get to go to the show!

have you read the terms and conditions from paypal to be eligible for insurance on you money, its pretty ridiculous. I thouhgt that paypal would pay me back, but I dont even come close to qualify for the insured money.

macphisto23 said:

have you read the terms and conditions from paypal to be eligible for insurance on you money, its pretty ridiculous. I thouhgt that paypal would pay me back, but I dont even come close to qualify for the insured money.

Its very simple actually, if its still inside 30 days file the complaint with paypal, if the seller can't prove online that he sent you the item, paypal will refund your cash and go after the :censored: to get theres back. If its over 30 days use your credit card company, and dispute the charge.

Thanks everyone - all good advice. I messed up though. He had a line on his ad that said, "email me for a buy-it-now price." Like an idiot I made the deal outside of ebay. I paid by MoneyGram, and they said that the police were the only ones who could get the actual address from the receiving report. He gave me his name and address, yes, but he could have lied about the address for all I know. He would have had to show ID though so I'm sure his name is Eugene Miller.

The worst part is that the guy gave me this schtick about being honest and that I'd have the tickets in 2 days. Unreal. I even asked someone who left him feedback on ebay to try to cross reference the street address for me - since he was the buyer in the last transaction. All I know is that I sure don't have the budget to spend another $800 on Croke Park tickets. Ugh. Thanks again everyone.

theedge111 said:
Man i wished i lived in London, i would go knock on this assholes door for you. Someone in London must want to help out!!.

You do know that if someone was stupid enough to do that, and they did do something and something happened that someone would be liable.

Don't go to anyone's house ever, contact the authorities.

A bunch of people in Philly lost $5500+ each to a Ebay seller for Super Bowl tickets, funnily enough that seller requested Western Union and also lived in London

theoeii,

If you're going for the police option, make sure they take a written statement from you setting out what happened and the sequence of events and, especially give as much info as possible about this fraudster. I would suggest your local police station for guidance initially.

If they don't follow up keep hassling them with phone calls, etc.

At the end of the day your priority is getting your money back - if this guy gets a visit from a policeman it hopefully will put the shits up him and he may want to come to an arrangement to lessen the possibility of a jail sentence for him in the future. So your priority should be initially convincing the police that you have been defrauded and a crime has been committed.

Best of luck, and if you have any further queries ask away as I have some experience of dealing with fraud issues in a former job

Notice to novice ticket buyers:

Most will try to take advantage, trust no one...buy at YOUR OWN RISK.

Enjoy the show! :wink:

TM doesn't seem so bad now...

Not to beat a dead horse, but if you have to buy scalped tickets, I would suggest doing so through a "professional" broker that's well-known, like goldcoasttickets.com or total tickets.

Never EVER make deals outside of eBay. Someone emailed me a few weeks ago, having gotten my address from eBay, offering me a "great deal on U2 tickets" because I'd placed a ridiculously low bid on one pair. eBay somehow knew about it and sent me information about fraud and asked that I report the person trying to make deals on the side.

What a nightmare, I hope you get your money back.

There are some real f*****g scumbags around.

Don't give up going after him.

Back
Top Bottom