Heartbeat->flatline on the screen before 'Sometimes' on European shows.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i heard about it before going to brussels and i thought it might be a cheap shot ..but it really wasnt. It fitted the moment perfectly and was actually very moving. The heartbeat really hits you and the flatline isnt very long...it came across very sincere to me. Especially cause its followed by a very convincing performance by bono without his sunglasses. Also the screen just shows the walking man and a black/white version of bono singing. It was very heartfelt and sincere and IMO not over the top (I understand that people who recently lost someone might be overtaken by this performance but isnt music meant to move you in some way or another?)

I lost my father too many years ago and i think if I had seen that performance then i would definetly be very touched and emotional about it but i dont think i would mind. It actually made me think about my father and the things i miss(ed) most about him all over again which i think is not a bad thing

But thats just my opinion

but he's singing about his own father. everyone deals with death differently. so how could this be distasteful? and who are we to make that decision?

totally agrre with mikal. I can understand people if they think its harsh, unsencitive or maybe over the top but since he is singing about HIS feeling about HIS father i dont really understand the distastefulness about it

but hey ive seen people complain and bitch about far less important things about this tour so at least this is a discussion that has some kind of importance :wink:

Man... Europe seems to be getting all kinds of cool stage sets and big ass screens that the US (at least New Jersey) isn't getting. :|

mama cass said:
oh shit

i don't think i'll be able to handle that

yeah but isnt that just makes the music mean a lot more. You just dont wanna cry at a u2 show but cant help yourself...(I didnt cry BTW, Im a tough cookie :wink:)
Especially since bono is making it such a personal and sincere performance you can actually tell he is singing to his father

Last edited:
It was not distasteful. It was intensly moving. My girlfriend was in floods of tears. I wasn't too far from that either. It was a sensational performance of the song. All the better for being able to look into his eyes right in front of me. There was someone in the pit holding a black and white photo of a couple. I can only assume it was Bono's parents. Very emotional.

That doesn't look like a heartbeat to me in the photo.......those are sine waves which would better represent brain waves more than a heartbeat. They are also used for electrical/musical patterns. :eyebrow:

Did it flatline at the very end in such a way to represent a death?

Nevertheless, it looks a lot better than that "walking man" from the first leg! That man reminded me of the man symbol from a restroom.....almost made me want to pee a little! :wink:

the brainwaves were during another song...Before Sometimes you could here the heartbeat not see it. at the end of that the screen showed a flat line with the beeeeeep and that went into SYCMIOYO..

whitehead said:
That doesn't look like a heartbeat to me in the photo.......those are sine waves which would better represent brain waves more than a heartbeat. They are also used for electrical/musical patterns. :eyebrow:

Did it flatline at the very end in such a way to represent a death?

Nevertheless, it looks a lot better than that "walking man" from the first leg! That man reminded me of the man symbol from a restroom.....almost made me want to pee a little! :wink:

It was meant to be a heartbeat and yes it flatlines to represent a death. It flatlines at the same time as Bono stops the ''microphone heartbeat'' Immediately after he says.''This is for my Father Bob''. Then sometimes begins.

zooholland said:
the brainwaves were during another song...Before Sometimes you could here the heartbeat not see it. at the end of that the screen showed a flat line with the beeeeeep and that went into SYCMIOYO..

What other song??? Did the "brainwaves" go along with that song?

mikal said:
but he's singing about his own father. everyone deals with death differently. so how could this be distasteful? and who are we to make that decision?

Bingo.

Hit the nail on the head.

whitehead said:

As the green dot is bouncing on the screen to signify a heartbeat, Bono has his mic to his chest, thumping it to make it sound like a heartbeat. thump thump, thump thump, thump thump, thump thump.

zooholland said:
totally agrre with mikal. I can understand people if they think its harsh, unsencitive or maybe over the top but since he is singing about HIS feeling about HIS father i dont really understand the distastefulness about it

For someone who's lost someone recently, it will be a very tough moment. BUT, instead of it coming across as insensitive to such folks, I think it would actually show sensitivity. I understand there will be different reactions though, b/c people deal with grief in different ways. Rock concerts aren't the best place for a greiving person to begin with, but at least here Bono is saying "I've been there too".

mikal said:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion regardless. If I find something distasteful I'm not going to change my mind just because it's someone elses way of dealing with something. :shrug:

VertigoGal said:
I think it's distasteful. It comes across as a gimmick in a way his songs about his mother never did. :shrug:
but he's pretty much said he never knew his mother, he has known his father all his life, maybe he's saying by the time he quit fighting with his father, was the time when his fathers heartbeat stopped,

as he said the only time he tried to make peace was when his father was in hospital

I can't really comment either way b/c I wasn't there to see the concert, I've never lost a parent, and I've never been with someone as they died, so I'll give Bono the benefit of the doubt here since in everything else he's ever done he's seemed 100% genuine.

KUEFC09U2 said:
but he's pretty much said he never knew his mother, he has known his father all his life, maybe he's saying by the time he quit fighting with his father, was the time when his fathers heartbeat stopped,

as he said the only time he tried to make peace was when his father was in hospital

alright, well I just feel the entire song has been so heavily marketed as a song about his father's death, in an effort to pull at the heartstrings of their mainstream audience. call me cynical, but I think the extent to which it's been marketed as this goes beyond a sincere tribute and becomes a sales technique. :reject: Lemon turned out to be a song about his mother, but that fact wasn't rammed down your throat. Which makes it more heartfelt, imo. It was left open to interpretation.

*runs away*

Awww i find it sad:sad: ..i have never delt with a death of a parent myself....but i agree that everyone has there own way of coping.

On a side note i never knew Lemon was about Bono's mom?!...learn something new everyday...:hmm:

VertigoGal said:

alright, well I just feel the entire song has been so heavily marketed as a song about his father's death, in an effort to pull at the heartstrings of their mainstream audience. call me cynical, but I think the extent to which it's been marketed as this goes beyond a sincere tribute and becomes a sales technique.

I guess I agree on the marketing bit. However I think that's a bit different than how Bono/U2 specifically perform the song. They're not the ones actually putting together the singles and marketing the song on the radio or MTV or whatever. It's also difficult to judge (at least for me) b/c I think this is one of the very rare times in U2 history where we know exactly what a song is about. Most of Bono's lyrics are about mutliple situations or have many interpretations, but it's quite obvious that this one is about him and his dad and that's what he intended.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

I guess I agree on the marketing bit. However I think that's a bit different than how Bono/U2 specifically perform the song. They're not the ones actually putting together the singles and marketing the song on the radio or MTV or whatever. It's also difficult to judge (at least for me) b/c I think this is one of the very rare times in U2 history where we know exactly what a song is about. Most of Bono's lyrics are about mutliple situations or have many interpretations, but it's quite obvious that this one is about him and his dad and that's what he intended.

I know...and I do agree with what you said earlier about giving them the benefit of the doubt on the sincerity thing. And I do...it's just a nagging feeling I've had since the album/single was released.

2Hearts...I definitely thought you were serious for a second. :lol: :hug:

Back
Top Bottom