Have you ever stood outside for a soundcheck?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Before Popmart Mexico U2 did a very extensive rehearsal, going through a few songs over and over, like Gone, HMTMKMKM, it was more than 3 hours of the band trying to get ready for the filming the next days.

Also was outside Estadio Tecnologico in Monterrey the day before the Vertigo Tour.

In Toronto before the 3th show of the Vertigo Tour we got to listen a bit of Fast Cars while a cleaning guy left a door half open for a couple of minutes. :D

Mofo said:

the Monterrey concert they did all the setlist

01. Larry´s warm up [0:37]
02. Wake Up [3:39]
03. Vertigo [4:14]
04. I will follow [3:47]
05. Electric Co. [4:51]
06. Elevation [4:17]
07. New Year's Day [4:56] (instrumental)
08. Beautiful Day [4:28]
09. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For [4:39]
10. City Of Blinding Lights [7:02]
11. Original Of The Species [4:56]
12. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own [5:12]
13. Bad/Walk on the wild side [7:44]
14. Love And Peace Or Else [5:03]
15. Sunday Bloody Sunday [5:27]
16. Bullet The Blue Sky [4:46]
01. Miss Sarajevo [5:55]
02. Pride (In the name of love) [3:43] (instrumental)
03. Where The Streets Have No Name [6:19] (instrumental)
04. Intro [1:15]
05. One [6:16]
06. Until The End Of The World [6:12]
07. Mysterious Ways [6:02] (instrumental)
08. With Or Without You [5:42] (instrumental)
09. All Because Of You [3:43] (instrumental)
10. Yahweh [3:34]
11. Vertigo [3:45] (instrumental)

hearing Bono do the snippet of walk on the wild side was really something

Yeah, I was there for the Monterrey soundcheck. It's like we got two concerts for the price of one.

It was a lot of fun!

Axver said:
I haven't heard any soundchecks myself, but like bono_man, I imagine U2 will do a bit of rehearsing here in Brisbane and I'll go listen.

Also, if anyone has heard U2 soundcheck at any concert on any tour, I'd really love to know the details so that I can add them to the sets over at U2-Vertigo-Tour.com. I've been trying to build up an archive of soundchecks but I don't have all too many details. If anyone can tell me what U2 soundchecked on what date, I'd love to know. Surely I'm not the only person out there who's fascinated by what gets played at soundchecks (that's the logic behind why the soundcheck details were added on U2VT in the first place - I had a few bits of soundcheck info and figured SOMEONE else out there would want it).

Popmart Werchter:
New Years Day, Real Thing, I Will Follow

Zooropa Oslo:
Crashed Car, Stay

Vertigo Milan 1:
Species

lisa2004 said:
Hi Axver,

Outside Manchester on the 14th June I heard -

Thanks! Also, thank you to JulioArca and anyone else who replied to me who I've failed to respond to directly! :)

Bono could hear us all singing Vertigo as before he left the stage he said - "And we'll see you guys outside later!"

:lol: There's one recording of a soundcheck I have, I forget the exact date but I think it's from Italy during the 4th leg of ZooTV, and Bono as MacPhisto makes a few comments to the empty stadium, calling it "curiously silent". It amused me.

Here are a few more. I went to the tapes for a few of them so they are pretty accurate.

May 19th 1997 Kansas City

Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
Staring At The Sun
Staring At The Sun
Last Night On Earth
Mofo
Mysterious Ways
Discotheque
If You Wear That Velvet Dress

May 24th 1997 Columbus

It’s Been A Long Time Coming
Billy’s Too Slow
Last Night On Earth
Staring At The Sun
Last Night On Earth
Mofo
Discotheque
If You Wear That Velvet Dress
With Or Without You

June 27th 1997 Chicago

Mysterious Ways (Edge and Adam only)
Please
Please
Mofo

June 28th 1997 Chicago

Pride/I Still Havent Found (Edge doing bits of both)
New Years Day (Edge piano only)
New Years Day
New Years Day
Please (outro)
Please (outro)
Please (outro)
Mofo
Mofo

October 31st 1997 Detroit

Last Night On Earth
Gone
Mofo
Discotheque

November 8th, 1997 St. Louis

Mofo
Discotheque
Staring At The Sun (acoustic)

Last edited:
Blue Room, you win! Thank you muchly! :up:

Blue Room said:
May 24th 1997 Columbus

It’s Been A Long Time Coming
Billy’s Too Slow

What are these two, covers? I don't recognise the titles.

Has a U2 soundcheck bootleg ever been later revealed as just being the techs?

The clostest I can think of is fans claiming to hear the Zoo Station riff at Popmart rehearsals. It was only the sound guys using it to test sounds/building acoustics.

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:
Has a U2 soundcheck bootleg ever been later revealed as just being the techs?

The clostest I can think of is fans claiming to hear the Zoo Station riff at Popmart rehearsals. It was only the sound guys using it to test sounds/building acoustics.

u2fp

At the Columbus 97 show Dallas was doing The Fly guitar riff over and over. Some fans thought it was Edge, but the band hadnt arrived yet.

The only boot I'm aware of that is definately the crew is a check from San Diego or LA (cant remember which, I think SD, because they did soundcheck for one of the LA shows) from the Outside Broadcast tour in 1992. The band didnt do a check for the show, so it couldnt have been them. :shrug: :laugh: I knew the taper that did it and they said it wasnt the band. But I think down the line some fans started saying it was U2.

Last edited:
Do they ever do mixed band/crew soundchecks?

The closest exapmle I can remember is Sydney 1993 with Adam AWOL.

u2fp

Last edited:
U2FanPeter said:
Do they ever do mixed band/crew soundchecks?

The closest exapmle I can remember is Sydney 1993 with Adam AWOL.

u2fp

I think typically its all band (sometimes without Bono) or all crew. I dont think they mix it up much if at all.

People going to the first concert of this final leg should be there the night before. They usually do a dress rehearsal before the first night of a leg i think.

less than a month!
wow!!!!

Clawgrabber said:
Outside of Dublin in the queue, (vertigo Dublin 23rd june 2005) they played:

vertigo
who's gonna ride your wild horses (full band electric)
COBL

and then EDGE played an awesome barrage of guitar parts, jumping around from everything from COBL to MIRACLE DRUG, THE ELECTRIC CO, WILD HORSES (A BUNCH OF TIMES)

it was awesome. the huge crowd outside went nuts when they played HORSES, because we knew it meant we would be treated to it that night, and we were...

that song should ALWAYS be played full band electric.

Telling me.. I never appreciated that song as much until I heard that sound check and that night.. totally blew me away and bono sang it so well.

Outside one of the Spanish shows, I think it was Barcelona, They rehearsed Spanish Eyes. Im told there was an Mp3 going around of it at the time but I never saw it

Soundchecks are great, I love the ones recorded through Bono's ear piece, like the Miami Elevation soundcheck or the Popmart Las Vegas one.

Back
Top Bottom