Has everyone received their membership card for the tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the pearl jam 10 club costs 15 bucks to join, and members get first access to tickets, and the tickets are given out in order of seniority (aka how long you've been a 10 club member). the tickets are normaly the best seats in the house.

the madison square garden shows on the last tour had 5,000+ and 8,000+ ten club members in attendance. the arena holds 17,000+, and both shows were sold out.

u2 should take some hints here...

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:
the pearl jam 10 club costs 15 bucks to join, and members get first access to tickets, and the tickets are given out in order of seniority (aka how long you've been a 10 club member). the tickets are normaly the best seats in the house.

the madison square garden shows on the last tour had 5,000+ and 8,000+ ten club members in attendance. the arena holds 17,000+, and both shows were sold out.

u2 should take some hints here...

U2 could take hints from a lot of fan clubs, like Madonna's and REM's as well.

Actually, Headache, it's the other way around. I have ordered from Ten Club too. I strongly suspect Pearl Jam modeled Ten Club on the old Propaganda..Eddie is a notorious U2 fan...one of his first ever concerts he attended was a JT tour show, and he even made a habit of donning a "Fly" mask for shows on PJ's 1993 tour. If you've read Flanagan's book you'll see just how much infuenced by U2 in all aspects PJ are.

PJ are able to keep their costs down b/c PJ are a nostalgia act. Clear channel does not care about them much.

I will also say that U2 are contradictory right now: While they may genuinely want to try and keep prices down, (I stillthink they try to make things as good as possible for fans), there is no way we are going back to the days of $65 tickets, even for rafters seats in stadiums. U2 need the money, from their POV. The band does not live a lavish lifestyle per se, like the Stones etc, but you have to admit, their personal living expenses are...well... a bit high. Primiarily b/c of their fancy pads.

Let;s break this down:

Bono: 3 properties: his mansion on the Killeany beach, a smaller house elswhere in the Dublin suburbs, and his $5 million pad in Central Park.
Edge: 3 properties: The most expensive house in Ireland, (according to media accounts of the time he bought it), right next door to Bono; a home in the West of Ireland, and his house in Malibu, CA.
Adam: his mansion next to his old boarding school, in Dublin.
Larry: 2 properties (that we know of): his place in Dalkey (I think), and his modestly priced --but on expensive land--in Rockland County, NY. (Not a big place, really-- just a converted barn without a fence; I've seen the place, it's 15 minutes down the road from my uncle's house.)

Finally, they all jointlyshare the costs of both the mansion in the South of France they've owned a while,, plus the just as big place next door to that, , which they recently bought.

Now, can revenue from replays of U2's music in resturaunts cover the cost of all that? Not likely. Royalties from replays? No.

And am I excusing charging us a bundle b/c of this? No. I have mixed feelings.
So, our money is going to pay for the upkeep of these places. Other artists, such as Springsteen and PJ, don't have so much property, and therfore, don't need to charge as much. Bruce lives in a modest little place in the inner wilds of Jersey, for example. Should we feel bad about that? What do you do when you have more money than you know what to do with? I have mixed feelings. Any other band I'd condemn this outright. But the amount of good the band do, and the way Bono seems to feel the need to work to deserve those blessings--his tireless lobbying and traveling on behalf of the world's poor, which has had tangible results, and the amount the band no doubt give from those royalties--negates some of the outcry, for me, that would naturally come from these circumstances normally.

I don't mind giving, as long as I know that much is being giving in return. But I have a limit to how much should be "given." What that limit is, I haven't made my mind up yet...
It's like the dabate over just how "poor" the band should continue to be. Is is wrong for them to enjoy their wealth? This is debatable too.

Just yesterday, my uncle was talking to me about this. He said he saw nothing wrong with the IpOd ad and U2's being a corporation, "B/c they know what poor is. They grew up dirt poor, they came from the projects, for God's sake, they know what it is to be poor. So that's why they care about the money." (I didn't bother to correct him that they weren't exactly "from the projects"(!) but they did have a semi-poverty spell in the early 80's. Also, he didn't talk about Bono's good works, but he was unlike my Mom, who despises the band outright and won't listen to any tales of good I tell her.)

This is a debate that could go on and on...and hinestly, I don't know where I stand, b/c I don;t know for sure who is behind the prices. It could be argued that U2 is primarily the ones behind it..but the way Clear Channel runs things, I can say they are partly to blame too.

Last edited:
All of those properties you mention, while nice by our standards, are modest compared to the homes of most celebrities, the P. Diddy's, J. Lo's and Madonna's, all of whom have homes that are massive compared to anything U2 owns. Even George Harrison, who suggested that U2 were all about making money, not art, had a house with over 120(!) rooms. Bono's house in Dublin, the "big" one, has 15 to 20 rooms, maximum. So, yes, they have "fancy pads", as you say, but they could be a lot fancier. They don't seem to be a tremendously ostentatious lot.
Also, as to ticket prices, theirs during the last tour were way lower than many other performers' prices. I didn't see anything to complain about on that score.

Teta040 said:
Actually, Headache, it's the other way around. I have ordered from Ten Club too. I strongly suspect Pearl Jam modeled Ten Club on the old Propaganda..Eddie is a notorious U2 fan...one of his first ever concerts he attended was a JT tour show, and he even made a habit of donning a "Fly" mask for shows on PJ's 1993 tour. If you've read Flanagan's book you'll see just how much infuenced by U2 in all aspects PJ are.

PJ are able to keep their costs down b/c PJ are a nostalgia act. Clear channel does not care about them much.

I will also say that U2 are contradictory right now: While they may genuinely want to try and keep prices down, (I stillthink they try to make things as good as possible for fans), there is no way we are going back to the days of $65 tickets, even for rafters seats in stadiums. U2 need the money, from their POV. The band does not live a lavish lifestyle per se, like the Stones etc, but you have to admit, their personal living expenses are...well... a bit high. Primiarily b/c of their fancy pads.

Let;s break this down:

Bono: 3 properties: his mansion on the Killeany beach, a smaller house elswhere in the Dublin suburbs, and his $5 million pad in Central Park.
Edge: 3 properties: The most expensive house in Ireland, (according to media accounts of the time he bought it), right next door to Bono; a home in the West of Ireland, and his house in Malibu, CA.
Adam: his mansion next to his old boarding school, in Dublin.
Larry: 2 properties (that we know of): his place in Dalkey (I think), and his modestly priced --but on expensive land--in Rockland County, NY. (Not a big place, really-- just a converted barn without a fence; I've seen the place, it's 15 minutes down the road from my uncle's house.)

Finally, they all jointlyshare the costs of both the mansion in the South of France they've owned a while,, plus the just as big place next door to that, , which they recently bought.

Now, can revenue from replays of U2's music in resturaunts cover the cost of all that? Not likely. Royalties from replays? No.

And am I excusing charging us a bundle b/c of this? No. I have mixed feelings.
So, our money is going to pay for the upkeep of these places. Other artists, such as Springsteen and PJ, don't have so much property, and therfore, don't need to charge as much. Bruce lives in a modest little place in the inner wilds of Jersey, for example. Should we feel bad about that? What do you do when you have more money than you know what to do with? I have mixed feelings. Any other band I'd condemn this outright. But the amount of good the band do, and the way Bono seems to feel the need to work to deserve those blessings--his tireless lobbying and traveling on behalf of the world's poor, which has had tangible results, and the amount the band no doubt give from those royalties--negates some of the outcry, for me, that would naturally come from these circumstances normally.

I don't mind giving, as long as I know that much is being giving in return. But I have a limit to how much should be "given." What that limit is, I haven't made my mind up yet...
It's like the dabate over just how "poor" the band should continue to be. Is is wrong for them to enjoy their wealth? This is debatable too.

Just yesterday, my uncle was talking to me about this. He said he saw nothing wrong with the IpOd ad and U2's being a corporation, "B/c they know what poor is. They grew up dirt poor, they came from the projects, for God's sake, they know what it is to be poor. So that's why they care about the money." (I didn't bother to correct him that they weren't exactly "from the projects"(!) but they did have a semi-poverty spell in the early 80's. Also, he didn't talk about Bono's good works, but he was unlike my Mom, who despises the band outright and won't listen to any tales of good I tell her.)

This is a debate that could go on and on...and hinestly, I don't know where I stand, b/c I don;t know for sure who is behind the prices. It could be argued that U2 is primarily the ones behind it..but the way Clear Channel runs things, I can say they are partly to blame too.

The bands combined wealth including McGuinness is over 700 million dollars. The band does not "need" the money, but they prefer to make the money instead of scalpers. If your not willing to make what your worth, then someone else will.

U2 have always charged what they are worth in the market(per country) based on the size of venue being played and the number of shows.

Although people won't like this, the people indirectly behind the prices are the fans themselves. The more fans there are and the greater value they place on going to a U2 show, the higher the price goes. Its economics 101, and increase in demand, leads to an increase in price. When you play Arena's in these markets where often stadiums can be played, the supply of seats available per night decreases which increases the demand for those very seats which then leads to an increase in price.

The only way you will see tickets priced at an average of 50 dollars or 60 dollars again is if U2 were to play stadiums in the USA again.

The rapid success of the new album is definitely not helping the prices for this tour, nor is the number of people signing up for memberships to the fanclub. All of this extra demand increases ticket prices.

49.50 for GA is not an increase from four years ago once you count for inflation. But 160 dollars for the Golden circle is about a 15% increase in price from the last tour once you count for inflation. I'm not sure if there will be just one mid-range price or more, but based on the increase in the Golden Circle tickets, looks like the mid-range price and the ticket most widely available will be around 105 dollars instead of 85 dollars like last time. But this all still speculation at this point.

ticketmaster mistakenly added the miami (?) show to its events list and the tickets were almost identical to last time.

Concerts are having the hardest time they ever had. Doubt U2 will blow the doors out McCartney style.

Look for GA's to be about $50...Good Seats about $160.

I think all the fan stuff is very nice on the U2.com board, but for $40 and just 2 tickets indoors, and 4 outdoors! I thought we got to buy tickets to more than one show? No?

the Golden Circle was anything but golden, for $160 this time if it's still just the back of the arena, forget it.

but really, it's U2, considering Bette Midler for lousy seats was $250 and up, Celine Dion, etc. With U2, lol, of course we get much more bang for the buck.

the pearl jam 10 club costs 15 bucks to join, and members get first access to tickets, and the tickets are given out in order of seniority (aka how long you've been a 10 club member). the tickets are normaly the best seats in the house

Wish that were so, because all of us that have gone to so many U2 tours are now just in the pack with all the rest for tickets, but the cookie crumbles...

Last edited:
Edgette said:

They're not allowed to sell tickets over face value. It's illegal in IL as I'm sure it is in other states. And I'm sure a lot of people would be selling them for that price but that's when you keep looking.

I've also gotten tickets from message boards.

First of all, in IL, there are liscensed ticket venders who can sell tickets above face value.

eBayers get around it by selling a pen or some equally useless object and "throwing in" some "free" tickets.

Dealt with both of these buying tickets to see the Cubs in the playoffs in 2003...

sad that someone mentioned Pearl Jam here.......I'm only 19, so I've watched them come near by on three separate tours since 1998......still want to see them badly, and would've last time had I not had the end of the school year and everything to worry about last tour.....:|

As for U2, you have to remember that we're paying $40 in advance for tickets and then purchasing the tickets....so it isn't as cheap as some might think.....I'm kind of concerned about the number of fan club members to be honest....over 100,000......I've never even been to a U2 show, and I would love to get the cheap GA floor seats, but I know there's a lot of older fans who go to like a dozen shows on a tour, so it looks like I could possibly miss out on having the cheapest/best seats for the concert I go to....despite being a fan club member....:madspit:

Back
Top Bottom