Has Edge's biggest fear come true?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chizip

Blue Crack Addict
This is a quote from a new article...

The Edge says the biggest fear is becoming too theatrical.

"Like the best rock 'n' roll bands always have, from Jimi Hendrix to Springsteen to the Stones, there's a little element of theatre. But, in the end, it still is rock 'n' roll. It's gotta evolve. It's gotta be fresh. If it becomes theatre, really, then it's lost an element of jeopardy and spontaneity, which is crucial."

From Bono repeating the same antics at every show (pretending to be a cat, pulling a kid on stage during into the heart, other various stage maneuvers...) to static setlists, are the shows now becoming "too theatrical"?

Or do you think U2 is doing enough to keep it fresh and spontaneous?

Discuss...

didn't zoo tv have static setlists and bono doing the same things every night?

hedge said:
didn't zoo tv have static setlists and bono doing the same things every night?

Yes, maybe I should have posted this in EYKIW because I'm talking about U2 tours in general, not specifically the Vertigo Tour :hmm:

the whole kid being pulled up thing disapointed me... it was such a great and honestly touching moment the first time i saw it in philly... especially considering it was directly across the oval from where i was standing...

me1a.jpg

but after seeing the same tricks for a 4th time, it became pretty lame.

i'd like to see him spice it up a bit... but eh... whatever.

Chizip said:

Yes, maybe I should have posted this in EYKIW because I'm talking about U2 tours in general, not specifically the Vertigo Tour :hmm:

if he does really feel like that, he's in the wrong band

you have to remember though most people only see the show once except diehards like on this board. you felt it was special the first time, most people that owuld be their only time

hedge said:

if he does really feel like that, he's in the wrong band

haha, thats what i was thinking. U2 are kind of known for their "theatrical" type shows.

of course, but the band members have a wonderful way of convincing "the man in the street" that they are spontaneous and that every show is different

Chizip said:
This is a quote from a new article...

From Bono repeating the same antics at every show (pretending to be a cat, pulling a kid on stage during into the heart, other various stage maneuvers...) to static setlists, are the shows now becoming "too theatrical"?

Or do you think U2 is doing enough to keep it fresh and spontaneous?

Discuss...

compared to other concerts with lasers, fireworks, etc, i don't think U2 are too theatrical at all. It's basically four guys playing music on stage with a little bit of Bono showmanship.

Maybe you're the drama queen, chizzer. :wink:

Whatever it is, I like it. And I don't mind the little kids being pulled up, even if he does it every show. He's always so sweet to the kids and they get to be up on stage and have a blast.

If U2 is theatrical, then give me theatrical. If U2 isn't theatrical, then don't give me theatrical :wink:

The theatric part of a U2 show has been happening since ever and it's definitely one of the things I like the most. It’s very clear in ZOO TV, POPMART and in the very early tours. Those moments come out from great spontaneous moments why not make it happen for many people? I don't get bothered about it because I know there's a shit load of people who are seeing that for the first time and the gestures always means something (and I think it still means to the band), plus I think it's always a bit diferent in every city. That said I think it's highly important that they keep things fresh and keep coming up with new stuff as I think they HAVE been doing a lot on this tour even with the more static set list of the second leg.

It's amazing how much people demand from U2. :yikes:

U2girl said:

As did Popmart and most U2 tours.
but you forgetting, this isnt about the vertigo show but about U2 shows in genral, even though chizip would never have posted this if it was during the elevation,popmart, or ZooTv shows

Pretending to be a cat...? That one I didn't get.
Come on. What are we discussing?
Isn't it pretty obvious that they do the same tricks every nigth?
Jesus, Muhammed, Jew...
My bet for tonights show: "From the blah blah of Louisiana, to the blah blah of Kilimanjaro" "From Dr. King to Dr. John Doe".

Last edited:
pulle28 said:
Pretending to be a cat...? That one I didn't get.
Come on. What are we discussing?
Isn't it pretty obvious that they do the same tricks every nigth?
Jesus, Muhammed, Jew...
your point being?

That it's obvious to anyone, that theatrics have played a major part of U2's shows since zootv.

Funny seing you around. Could it be another incident of you defending the Vertigo tour?

pulle28 said:
That it's obvious to anyone, that theatrics have played a major part of U2's shows since zootv.
very true, but why have people i.e. chizip, only just started complaining about it?

pulle28 said:
Funny seing you around. Could it be another incident of you defending the Vertigo tour?
i will always defend the tour, simply because i dont get why some people have to be so down on it time after time

They've been theatrical all the way back to Bono doing his "first cigarette" bit in BoyGirl. This isn't something that started with ZooTV.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
the whole kid being pulled up thing disapointed me... it was such a great and honestly touching moment the first time i saw it in philly... especially considering it was directly across the oval from where i was standing...

me1a.jpg

but after seeing the same tricks for a 4th time, it became pretty lame.

Was philly the first time he did it? Or just the first time you saw it?

I'm pretty sure he did it before philly. So what was great and honest for you might be lame for someone who had been to denver or seattle. And what was lame the fourth time you saw it, was probably moving to someone who hadn't been to a show yet.

Last edited:
I just finished reading "Bono: In Conversation...". Interesting book that would put to rest a lot of these debates. The writer asks Bono a lot of these types of questions. Bono's said that if he or the band finds something that "works" and creates a magical moment they'll use it throughout the tour...which eventually becomes a "scripted" part of the show. The handicam bit during ZooTv, pulling the kid up on during Vertigo, etc.

Also, if you read U2 Show (another great book) you'll discover Bono uses speech writers.

When it comes down to it U2 are four gifted musicians who are also very calculated sales men. They figured out early on that the shelf life of a rock band is short...being entertainers is what has extended their career.

Once again, POPMart and ZooTV were more theatrical in nature. There was much more visual material that coincided with certain songs. I was under the impression that the whole point of Elevation (and to a slightly lesser extent, Vertigo) was that it was stripped down, which would enable the band to play whatever they wanted to.

Unfortunately, they are either too lazy to rehearse more songs from their back catalogue, unwilling to challenge their audience by mixing it up night to night, or a combination of both.

Hell, at the beginning of this tour I was praising them to the heavens for throwing curveballs like An Cat Dubh, The Ocean, even Electric Co, and leaving out tired material like WOWY. But here we are down the road, and some of that rare shit has fallen by the wayside, while ISHFWILF and WOWY are back in their cemented permanent spots.

The part of the quote that Chizip left out is the most important to me:

"It definitely feels like starting over," he said. "And that's what we want to do. We want to do something different. It's nine months since we started thinking about the tour, and that's a long time. We want to keep developing the show. We never allow it to become too static. We want to introduce new ideas as we go."

Does Edge realize what band he's in? Is he losing nightly arguments about changing the show up? Because it seems to me that new ideas are few and far between. It's also pointless to come up with an idea like playing a full band Original of the Species or Wild Horses, and then unceremoniously dropping it immediately, even though they was fantastic. New ideas like playing Vertigo twice on a lark, and then ending nearly every goddamned show with it, in place of something that really concludes with a special feeling, like 40, Bad, etc.

You folks can go back and forth all you want. But you can't read that quote and not scratch your head a bit, because someone's not putting their money with their mouth is (or vice versa, perhaps).

Miricale_Drug said:
you have to remember though most people only see the show once except diehards like on this board. you felt it was special the first time, most people that owuld be their only time

Yeah, but this isn't about how many times the fans see a show; it's about the show becoming theater, scripted, etc.

Interesting discussion though.

lazarus said:
Once again, POPMart and ZooTV were more theatrical in nature. There was much more visual material that coincided with certain songs. I was under the impression that the whole point of Elevation (and to a slightly lesser extent, Vertigo) was that it was stripped down, which would enable the band to play whatever they wanted to.

Unfortunately, they are either too lazy to rehearse more songs from their back catalogue, unwilling to challenge their audience by mixing it up night to night, or a combination of both.

I was under the impression Elevation played more various songs than any other U2 tour and that Vertigo brought many surprises - did anyone expect Boy songs, Gloria, 40, Running to stand still, Zoo station, Who's gonna ride your wild horses and Miss Sarajevo?

U2.com also just said the rehearsals included several songs that haven't appeared on this tour yet.

"Once again, POPMart and ZooTV were more theatrical in nature. There was much more visual material that coincided with certain songs. I was under the impression that the whole point of Elevation (and to a slightly lesser extent, Vertigo) was that it was stripped down, which would enable the band to play whatever they wanted to.

Unfortunately, they are either too lazy to rehearse more songs from their back catalogue, unwilling to challenge their audience by mixing it up night to night, or a combination of both"

well i think thats a massive contradiction right there, to lazy to reharse songs from there back catalouge? well what do you call an cat dubh, gloria, electric co, 40, whos going to ride your wild horses, etc? oh sorry forgot about running to stand still and miss sarjevo, but hey they dont count right?

I cannot believe that Zoomerang96 hasn't posted in this thread yet. It's one of his favourite subjects! :scratch: Maybe he's saving up his energy for his probable rant tonight :hmm:

And honestly, to all of you who keep asking why Chizip first brings this up now on the Vertigo tour and so on :blahblah: and somehow seem to want to kill the thread with this - Please stop it. We're in 2005 now, in the middle of the Vertigo tour, and if we want to discuss this now, we do.

U2Man said:
I cannot believe that Zoomerang96 hasn't posted in this thread yet. It's one of his favourite subjects! :scratch: Maybe he's saving up his energy for his probable rant tonight :hmm:

And honestly, to all of you who keep asking why Chizip first brings this up now on the Vertigo tour and so on :blahblah: and somehow seem to want to kill the thread with this - Please stop it. We're in 2005 now, in the middle of the Vertigo tour, and if we want to discuss this now, we do.
but you never did during popmart or zoo?

Back
Top Bottom