Has Edge's biggest fear come true?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2Man said:
If we want to discuss this now, we do.

Yep.
KUEFC09U2, if you have a problem with what's being said in here, there's a simple solution - don't bother reading it and let people who want to discuss it get on with it in peace.

Last edited:
U2Man said:

The only appropriate response.
well ok let me answer it another way, if all people want to do is debate and discuss about static setlists, and scripted shows, and DONT want to just keep knocking the vertigo show(and am talking about the people that say "i love the band and dont want to keep knocking them etc", well why not take the debate back to the ZooTv and Popmart era? simple, because that was some people fav era of U2, and they dont want to hear bad words said about it, pretty much like the people who are enjoying the vertigo show, and think it could well be up there with the best, dont like to continue to hear slagging of the tour,

If people want to pick on static setlist and scripted shows, might as well start with the 90's tours.

U2girl said:
If people want to pick on static setlist and scripted shows, might as well start with the 90's tours.
nope they WANT to talk about vertigo show for some reason

KUEFC09U2 said:
nope they WANT to talk about vertigo show for some reason

because we have the internet and message boards now in which we can do so.

I guarantee you if there was a popular U2 internet board during Zoo or Pop, the same arguements would have occurred. Different people making them perhaps, but the same arguements.

In fact, ramblin' rose once found on google some really old bulletin board messages that people posted during Zootv. It was really funny :lol:.

kellyahern said:

Was philly the first time he did it? Or just the first time you saw it?

I'm pretty sure he did it before philly. So what was great and honest for you might be lame for someone who had been to denver or seattle. And what was lame the fourth time you saw it, was probably moving to someone who hadn't been to a show yet.

exactly. Headache, this is the second time you've referred to aspects of the Vertigo tour that are "lame" or "boring" because they are repetetive (talking about Africa, the kid on the stage). Most people don't go to multiple shows. If you put yourself in the shoes of someone who goes to one show, don't you think these things might be fun/interesting/exciting to them??

ruffian said:

exactly. Headache, this is the second time you've referred to aspects of the Vertigo tour that are "lame" or "boring" because they are repetetive (talking about Africa, the kid on the stage). Most people don't go to multiple shows. If you put yourself in the shoes of someone who goes to one show, don't you think these things might be fun/interesting/exciting to them??

Ruffian & U2Girl--good job. :yes: This is the same argument I use against people who complain about static setlists. While the band must care about their "diehard" fans, they also have to care about their average fans--who greatly outnumber us crazy ones. To put on a quality show for these people means not playing a show filled primarily random songs from 1979 or lesser-known AB songs, etc. They can do both without being a "greatest hits" band--and I think they do it well. Michael Jordan once said that the reason he played so well every night was that he'd think that somewhere in the stands was a person who would only get to see him play once. He had to give that person the "Michael Jordan Experience." Having a show filled with "repeating ploys" does that. That, and throw in The Ocean or other random songs now and then, and both sides of the fandom fence should be happy...

There was a beautiful post on here during the 1st leg from someone who said that they were at a show & when the band played Bullet, they were so let down---they'd heard it so many times before. But this person's friend was right next to him and was ECSTATIC because Bullet was this kid's favorite song & to see it played live was just amazing!

Sure, there is a fine line between static/jukebox/greatest hits and its opposite. It's a hard line to tread. Still, I think that U2 does a good job of treading it without falling too far onto one side or the other.

Last edited:
kellyahern said:

because we have the internet and message boards now in which we can do so.

I guarantee you if there was a popular U2 internet board during Zoo or Pop, the same arguements would have occurred. Different people making them perhaps, but the same arguements.

:yes:

If the shows are scripted and theatrical who cares? I mean the whole point of U2 performing a live show is to entertain their audience in front of them.

That's how theatre works people.

david said:
If the shows are scripted and theatrical who cares? I mean the whole point of U2 performing a live show is to entertain their audience in front of them.

That's how theatre works people.

Agreed david.

However, this is the quote up for debate here:

The Edge says the biggest fear is becoming too theatrical.

"Like the best rock 'n' roll bands always have, from Jimi Hendrix to Springsteen to the Stones, there's a little element of theatre. But, in the end, it still is rock 'n' roll. It's gotta evolve. It's gotta be fresh. If it becomes theatre, really, then it's lost an element of jeopardy and spontaneity, which is crucial."

Performing the same exact thing night after night isn't exactly "fresh" right?

KUEFC09U2 said:
very true, but why have people i.e. chizip, only just started complaining about it?

umm, where did i complain about it?

:huh:

did i ever saying shows being theatrical was a bad thing?

some of you are a little wound up....

Last edited:
Utoo said:

Ruffian & U2Girl--good job. :yes: This is the same argument I use against people who complain about static setlists. While the band must care about their "diehard" fans, they also have to care about their average fans--who greatly outnumber us crazy ones. To put on a quality show for these people means not playing a show filled primarily random songs from 1979 or lesser-known AB songs, etc. They can do both without being a "greatest hits" band--and I think they do it well. Michael Jordan once said that the reason he played so well every night was that he'd think that somewhere in the stands was a person who would only get to see him play once. He had to give that person the "Michael Jordan Experience." Having a show filled with "repeating ploys" does that. That, and throw in The Ocean or other random songs now and then, and both sides of the fandom fence should be happy...

There was a beautiful post on here during the 1st leg from someone who said that they were at a show & when the band played Bullet, they were so let down---they'd heard it so many times before. But this person's friend was right next to him and was ECSTATIC because Bullet was this kid's favorite song & to see it played live was just amazing!

Sure, there is a fine line between static/jukebox/greatest hits and its opposite. It's a hard line to tread. Still, I think that U2 does a good job of treading it without falling too far onto one side or the other.

well-said. copy this and post it in every forum on the General Tour thread! :up:

I will only be able to see one show this tour and it will be my first ever U2 show, so I, for one, am glad that they are still playing songs like Pride, Bullet, Streets, and One. These are songs that I have been dying to see live, and while I would go as crazy as the next person if U2 played something rare, I would hate to come away from the show not having heard at least some of their "greatest live songs". Of course, the song I was most looking forward to seeing was Bad, and it isn't a regular so far.......

Chizip said:

umm, where did i complain about it?

:huh:

did i ever saying shows being theatrical was a bad thing?

some of you are a little wound up....

u2girl and kfc really aren't worth worrying about.

say what you want, and let the dogs bark all they want. it really doesn't matter so long as you don't say anything offensive, and you certainly haven't. noone has.

you bring up valuable concerns, a side of the story certain people would like to never have discussed for fear of tarnishing their perfect band.

Zoomerang96 said:

u2girl and kfc really aren't worth worrying about.

say what you want, and let the dogs bark all they want. it really doesn't matter so long as you don't say anything offensive, and you certainly haven't. noone has.

you bring up valuable concerns, a side of the story certain people would like to never have discussed for fear of tarnishing their perfect band.
concerns? why is it a "concern"? a concern is worrying about a sick mother or father, not bitching about a band that dosent play what songs you want it to play

Same old same old.
Good thing there's the Ignore option and the dogs that apparently believe they speak for everyone can definitely bark all they want with their selective memory and double standards.

Last edited:
Zoomerang96 said:

:up:

99% of all concert goers will see only one show.. plenty of my colleagues went to one of the Amsterdam shows. They were all absolutely thrilled by the U2's performance... I guess, us u2 maniacs are a bit spoilt, now aren't we?

U2girl said:
Same old same old.
Good thing there's the Ignore option and the dogs that apparently believe they speak for everyone can definitely bark all they want with their selective memory and double standards.

yeah, i know you ignore people you don't understand, no less disagree with.

truly the intelligent, rational method of approaching life.

"can i try an say someth - "

"LALALALALLALALAALALALLALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU LALALALLALALAL I CAN'T HEAR YOU LALALALALLALALAALALAAAAAALALALAA"

I don't know about anybody else, but there should be MORE sponteniety (spelling!) than Theatricality in Rock and Roll, not timing everything to the giant video screens.
Changing up the setlist, at least alternating it every other night, would be better, besides U2 has enough hits to go around to do this. --- just my opinion.

elevation622 said:
I don't know about anybody else, but there should be MORE sponteniety (spelling!) than Theatricality in Rock and Roll, not timing everything to the giant video screens.
Changing up the setlist, at least alternating it every other night, would be better, besides U2 has enough hits to go around to do this. --- just my opinion.

I really think Pearl Jam injected some spontaneity last night in Chicago....we'll see how long the effects last!

Back
Top Bottom