Has anyone found the kites?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shika

Acrobat
I'm guessing they've disappeared into the never-never, but I am curious to know if anyone has spotted even remnants of the kites that have been released at the end of the shows in Australia? (A few were lucky to even make it out of the stadiums!)

haha.. i was thinking the exact thing as last nights was released... if someone did find it, no doubt.. it would end up on ebay! :mad:

The kite from the Melbourne 2 show landed right behind me. It just drifted down and some guy started to pull on the string. The guy who caught was a big fan, even wearin an original War Tour tshirt. So it was great to see a guy like that get it. I think he hid it under his jacket as he was leaving.

The ballons were also taken down and carried out by fans.

Oh yeah, kick ass gig too. ;)

a guy in adelaide caught it about 20-40 meters out of the elipse

he then pulled it down, took the kite off it and let the balloons fly away into the night

wow... that would be awesome... i think bono seemed to make an effort for it to fly off into the night at melbourne1.. and it did!

Band nor crew are too pleased with ppl pulling down the kites!!!

From Willy's diary (16.11.2006
Show day, Adelaide.)

The only real downer for me was at the end of ‘Kite’ when some tosser in the audience grabbed hold of the kite string. As the band came to the end of the show and took their bows, said tosser slowly pulled the string in, so the kite sank slowly, humiliatingly and embarrassingly back to earth where it’s probably now on eBay. It only takes one to spoil it for the whole class.

Yeah, that does seem a bit thing...
You wonder why they didn't put more balloons on if one kite didn't float high enough?

(I apologise for my dismal grammar, but my head has seriously been a disaster zone since Saturday! :) )

hmmmm, when I started this thread I never imagined that someone would actually "steal" the kite from the stadium (I hadn't read about the Adelaide experience) - that just goes against the whole spirit of the gesture, doesn't it? And you can tell how clueless I am when I didn't even consider the possibilty of someone selling said kite/s on e-bay. :banghead: What is the point??? I guess if people feel they are that 'desperate' for money they should just go ahead and do what they need to do - me, I'm a bit of believer in karma and stuff like that just reads baaaaaad news to me.

Someone asked me the other day if I was going to sell any of the photos I took in their shows..... I mean, whaaaaat? Why should I??? I don't get it....

The Sydney 2 kite definately left the stadium. Who knows where it landed, but the Olympic precinct is huge so I'm guessing it didn't find its way into someone's back yard since that would be too far away.

AndrewCowley said:
The Sydney 2 kite definately left the stadium. Who knows where it landed, but the Olympic precinct is huge so I'm guessing it didn't find its way into someone's back yard since that would be too far away.

Not before it almost got pulled down into the ellipse though. Some people are idiots....I visibly say Bono wince. It was awful. Thankfully they let it go again. Unlike Adelaide...wankers.

oh man.... and so I ask, WHERE IS THE LOVE???? "finding" it is one thing, selling it for "charity" (and even I'm not that naive) is just making me feel really, really sick. :mad:

Last edited:
Did you see one of the comments that reckons Bono would be proud of her for giving the money to charity... not 100% sure about that myself! Well, it's better than just making a mint for yourself, if you believe she is going to give the money away.

Alison

I don't think Bono would be proud of anyone that touched those kites - inside or outside the stadiums. I thought the whole point was to let the things "blow out of control on the breeze". Kinda ruins the sentiment, eh? :shrug:

Yeah. It definitely felt wrong when I saw it getting pulled down at the second Melbourne show. :( I guess some people just don't get it.

Fucking Rude Pricks I Rekon... The Kite Is For A Reason And Some Idiots go And They And Steal It... Why ?????????
Who Eva Tryed To Wrek The Ending Of The Show... Some Concerts You Did A Good Job.. Let The Kite Fly Forever And Ever

Here's the story that goes along with the link from the NZ Herald...

No 'Tana Umaga handbag' deal at auction of U2 kite

Tuesday November 28, 2006
By James Ihaka

A woman who caught a kite released by U2 singer Bono at last Friday night's concert said she was not going to do a "Tana Umaga handbag" deal on it.

Claire Keam, a teacher at Papamoa's Taha Tai school, said she left the concert at Mt Smart stadium early with her husband to beat the masses while U2 were performing their encore song Kite.

"We were just walking out of the stadium during the last song when we saw it come near us ... I couldn't believe it.

"People were just saying 'that's the kite' and we jumped up and caught it. It had these huge helium balloons on it and we had to give a couple of them away because they were too big to fit in the car.

"The people we gave them to were pretty stoked too."

Mrs Keam has since put the kite on Trade Me - but laughed off suggestions she would sell it for personal profit like the handbag Tana Umaga used to wallop team mate Chris Masoe in an early-morning fracas at a Christchurch bar in May.

That was sold on the auction website for $22,750.

"I want to give all of it to Oxfam and don't want to do a Tana Umaga handbag thing on it and cash up," she said.

U2 have been vociferous in their support of the Make Poverty History campaign and lead singer Bono has called on countries throughout the world to pledge their support.

Bono was a nominee for the 2005 Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts to eliminate poverty and rallying for the cause.

Mrs Keam said she had not been tempted to take the kite to the park.

Bidding on the kite was a long way off from the thousands paid for the handbag in the Tana Umaga incident with $445 the top offer yesterday afternoon.

The auction closes on Tuesday next week.

Now the kite is up to 515. I would like to see some kind of proof that it will be donated to charity. How could you no. 1 leave early, 2 pull the freakin kite down?

Idjeets!!!:madwife:

Back
Top Bottom